Counter Service Kids Menus Are Really Limited!

I have a question that I've not seen addressed at the DIS before that I can remember. Please forgive me if it's answered in this thread, I only read the first page or two before my head started totally spinning...

Does anyone know if CS restaurants will let you substitute something else for children's meals due to an allergy? I guess it's not totally an allergy thing, but my nephew is allergic to milk, eggs and nuts and very picky. It seems most of the CS restaurants have two items on the kids menu and often one of those options is mac and cheese (not an option due to allergy), or a hot dog (often has milk/casein/whey as an ingredient oddly enough), pb & j etc. Add to that he is extremely picky and there aren't many places he can eat at on the dining plan. Would they allow him to get a much smaller order of adult's chicken strips/fingers instead? He will and can eat that...

DumboDash2006 said:
I have a question that I've not seen addressed at the DIS before that I can remember. Please forgive me if it's answered in this thread, I only read the first page or two before my head started totally spinning...

Does anyone know if CS restaurants will let you substitute something else for children's meals due to an allergy? I guess it's not totally an allergy thing, but my nephew is allergic to milk, eggs and nuts and very picky. It seems most of the CS restaurants have two items on the kids menu and often one of those options is mac and cheese (not an option due to allergy), or a hot dog (often has milk/casein/whey as an ingredient oddly enough), pb & j etc. Add to that he is extremely picky and there aren't many places he can eat at on the dining plan. Would they allow him to get a much smaller order of adult's chicken strips/fingers instead? He will and can eat that...

Everything I've read says that if you say "allergies" they do whatever they need to for you. It shouldn't be a problem. I bet if you tell them that nothing on the kids menu is suitable they'll let you order off the adult for him without a problem.

since i have a ds w/food allergies, i'll attempt to answer your question... yes, wdw does try to bend over backwards to accommodate allergies, but mainly at TS meals... CS meals were "spotty" at best... although if you head to the DISability boards, you can get more info such as whom to contact for ingredient lists prior to your trip...

my best advice for getting "extra accomodations" for food allergies at CS meals is to go a little "off-time" as you are more likely to get the answers you need as well as the substitutions and attention from a manager as opposed to a "clerk" who is simply slinging fast food at you and not very knowledgeable nor always english speaking (sorry, don't mean to speak ill of those serving at the CS locations, but it's a fact, and it was a bit of an obstacle)...

hope that helps... ENJOY! :flower:

frayedend said:
Everything I've read says that if you say "allergies" they do whatever they need to for you. It shouldn't be a problem. I bet if you tell them that nothing on the kids menu is suitable they'll let you order off the adult for him without a problem.

yes, they'll likely "let" you do anything, but there's also a good chance you will have to pay for it...

again, no one is forcing anyone to buy and/or use the ddp... if you are unable to consume the meals as specified in the plan (i.e. kids meals for kids), then maybe it's not for you (a generic you, not you specifically frayedend)... whether that be from pickiness or allergies or whatever...

Delaware Mike said:
You've hit the nail squarely on its head!

Ever wonder what companies mean by offering "value add" services? It doesn't always mean added value to the consumer... It can mean added value (money, margin, profit) to the company offering the service.

Disney wants its guests on their properties. If guests stay there, instead of going a little down the road to a competitor, the chances of increased revenue rise dramatically.

LOL! He went on a little bit more than that, comparing it to things like extended warranties (trip insurance?!?) that people buy and 9 times out of 10 the company provides nothing to the customer. I agree, I think the whole point, between ME and DDP is to get people on WDW property and feeling like they don't need to leave. And thus, spending all of their time and money there. If WDW has to spend a few dollars to make it happen it would seem that they are willing.

mlwear said:
ZPT1022 --Your DH is a wise man.

LOL, we can think that, but we just can't tell him that. After all, I still have to live with him :rotfl:

frayedend said:
Disney should in all their ultimate wisdom know how to plan for plans such as the Dining Plan. (edit, oh my, I just realized that I used the word "plan" 3 times in one sentence :blush: ) All they need to do is announce it here on the boards a good month or so prior to launch. One post from Disney like this....

We are gonna offer a new dining plan. Here is the idea...(explain dining plan).... Any questions?

After they post that, they just wait. Every possible scenario, rule, idea, moral standard, and anything else that they may need to work out will surely come up within a few days of the OP. Don't you think? Then they could work out all the kinks prior to launching any program.

Now some on this thread will believe this and some won't. Whatever. For one unless you "work" for Disney, fixing the computer issue is not a 10 minute fix. There are many tech issues, many different departments involved and they don't want to punish the guest trying to use it correctly becuase of the abuse by others.

They truly did try to brainstorm all the possible problems. But they did not have the mind set to be devious and dishonest and never imagined that people would go to the lengths they have to scam the system. They truly thought people would understand that if you purchase a child's meal you get a child's meal. That seems to work at all other restaurants anyone frequents.

I seriously doubt that anyone goes into McDonald's, orders a kid's meal and expects them to give them a Big Mac, fries and large drink instead at no extra cost. There is truly no difference.

So many times Disney has to release something to the public before they can find out how many loopholes exisit. As one police officer told me once, if you want to find out how to make your house secure, ask a thief.

The changes to the plan are expensive and I for one do not thank anyone for making Disney have to do this. That cost is past on to each of us.

I agree that the kid's menu's need improvement but I don't think taking food without paying for it is the answer.

I do have to ask and would appreciate an honest answer, those that do this with no problem, do you do this in your daily lives? Just curious as to whether this is something you save for Disney.

ZPT1022 said:
I was talking to my husband about the whole adult vs. child meal credits this morning and here's his take. Bear in mind he works in management for a large company and also knows his stuff about computers and programming. He said: Disney knows what they are doing. A few lines of code could easily close the loophole of no separation between adult and child credits. It would take an experienced programmer less than an hour to do it. Updating all the systems might take a little longer but it wouldn't be that hard to do. WDW is doing it because it means that you're staying onsite. The two major things that WDW has started in the last 2 years are Magical Express and the Disney Dining Plan. Think about it- both are designed to keep people (and their money) from straying too far from WDW property. ME keeps you there by default- no towncar with a grocery stop on the way, no rental car to take to USF or Walmart for cheap souvenirs or the grocery store or the plethora of offsite (cheaper) dining. The DDP, even if someone were to stretch it by a few dollars still keeps people on site. When people don't have to shell out any cash for a meal, it makes them feel more free to add on drinks, or sides or whatever, because the bill you get at the end of the meal is small. Maybe without DDP you wouldn't be in that restaurant at all, or you wouldn't order drinks. Or you'd go back to your resort and make a PB&J for lunch every day. Basically Disney does this because they know that they have you there and they've just created for themselves a captive audience. He also pointed out that a lot of times it's the add ons that are really worth a lot of money to the company. He works at Home Depot and said that for them, they focus on selling someone the total project. Because while it's great that you're in there buying paint, that's not where the money is. The money comes in when you start buying drop cloths and paintbrushes and painters tape- so they are more than happy to offer a sale on paint to get you in the door to buy not just that but all the little things with the higher % markup. He thinks WDW might just be doing something like that. Sure, your meal is included in the plan, but now you're ordering a bottle of wine with it's 300% markup. Make sense? I thought he had a good point. Not trying to debate the ethics of the situation but interesting to try and think about it from WDW's perspective :)

I think that's a great observation. Before free dining, the only TS's we did were Donald's Breakfastosaurus and a few random meals at Boatwrights only because we stayed at POR. Last summer we had free dining and we tried new places like 1900 Park Fare dinner, CRT lunch, and PTC 50's dinner. After that experience, I doubted that we'd be happy going to WDW without repeating a couple of those meals. In fact we are going back for free dining this year. Granted dining is free and we got a great airfare (through WDW) but it's still $1500 I wouldn't have otherwise spent if not enticed by free dining again. It has changed the way we "do" WDW and the frequency. I fantasized about going back to WDW but it didn't become reality until I got the "great deal". Even if we go back without free dining or the DDP, we will make more ADRs than we would have before free dining. So is it a good investment? I'd say definitely.

ZPT1022 said:
I was talking to my husband about the whole adult vs. child meal credits this morning and here's his take. Bear in mind he works in management for a large company and also knows his stuff about computers and programming. He said: Disney knows what they are doing. A few lines of code could easily close the loophole of no separation between adult and child credits. It would take an experienced programmer less than an hour to do it. Updating all the systems might take a little longer but it wouldn't be that hard to do. WDW is doing it because it means that you're staying onsite. The two major things that WDW has started in the last 2 years are Magical Express and the Disney Dining Plan. Think about it- both are designed to keep people (and their money) from straying too far from WDW property. ME keeps you there by default- no towncar with a grocery stop on the way, no rental car to take to USF or Walmart for cheap souvenirs or the grocery store or the plethora of offsite (cheaper) dining. The DDP, even if someone were to stretch it by a few dollars still keeps people on site. When people don't have to shell out any cash for a meal, it makes them feel more free to add on drinks, or sides or whatever, because the bill you get at the end of the meal is small. Maybe without DDP you wouldn't be in that restaurant at all, or you wouldn't order drinks. Or you'd go back to your resort and make a PB&J for lunch every day. Basically Disney does this because they know that they have you there and they've just created for themselves a captive audience. He also pointed out that a lot of times it's the add ons that are really worth a lot of money to the company. He works at Home Depot and said that for them, they focus on selling someone the total project. Because while it's great that you're in there buying paint, that's not where the money is. The money comes in when you start buying drop cloths and paintbrushes and painters tape- so they are more than happy to offer a sale on paint to get you in the door to buy not just that but all the little things with the higher % markup. He thinks WDW might just be doing something like that. Sure, your meal is included in the plan, but now you're ordering a bottle of wine with it's 300% markup. Make sense? I thought he had a good point. Not trying to debate the ethics of the situation but interesting to try and think about it from WDW's perspective :)

Actually much of what your husband has said is true. However based on what friends have told me that work in IT at Disney the fix is not as easy as one might think due to the fact the Dining plan affects many different departments including resorts, dining, and tickets.

The comment made about going into buy paint,that is on sale and ending up getting much more is certainly true. But I am also sure your husband would agree that if Home Depot is offering a specific paint on sale for $10.99 they do not want people walking out with the 50 dollar per gallon paint that is not on sale either. Neither does Disney.

Yes many of the child's menu's are not acceptable. But many are just fine. The child's plan costs only $10.99 per day (unless of course your on the free plan, then you really shouldn't complain), so you can't expect lobster or caviar. They cater to average kids, most of which want the mac n cheese, chicken nuggets or hamburger, whether it's on the kid's menu or not.

When we visit, I have come up with a compromise. If there is nothing on the child menu that my daughter will eat, we will purchase an adult meal for her(no apetizer or desert, cause she'll share ours). We will then use the unused meal credit to make up for our 2x meals, and purchase her child's meal then. Everyone's happy. We are out the cost of a child's menu, about $10(Compared to a $3k vacation, who cares), and don't have to cheat the system.

As far as fixing the computer system, if Disney wanted it fixed, it would be fixed. It's certainly not 10 minutes, but it's very doable in a fairly short period of time. It's apparently not as much of a problem as some think it is, which is why it doesn't get fixed.

As far as fixing the computer system, if Disney wanted it fixed, it would be fixed. It's certainly not 10 minutes, but it's very doable in a fairly short period of time. It's apparently not as much of a problem as some think it is, which is why it doesn't get fixed.

They are working on it.

frayedend said:
Nope, you take me too literally. What I said was a burger place should have a kids burger. If they have nothing that my kids will eat then it was a waste. So I will make sure my kids eat. If they want pizza from the pizza place then I will get it for them. I'm supposed to give my kid "chilled chicken" whatever that is when I am getting a burger. That's just stupid. Now, I would also be happy to pay the difference if I had to but they don't have a way to do that. If they were serious about enforcing it then they would have the credits issued as kids or adults. Seriously, it would take about 10 minutes to program the computers to do that. They obviously realize that the kids menus are not adequate for some counter service (I'm assuming that's the same as what they call Quick Service on the plan now). I'm not interested in stealing from Disney. I'm interested in making sure they don't rip me off by selling me something I can't use. (Yeah, I know, I didn't have to pay. But they sold me the vacation based on the dining plan for free. If I find that I can't use it for my kids then they did rip me off).

And again, I am only talking counter/quick service. My kids will of course eat off the kids meal at TS.

I agree with you on everything, but one. It will take more than 10 minutes to make the programming change. I can't tell you exactly how long it would take, since I don't know what language it is written in and what kind of tables/files/databases they are using, but it will take more than 10 minutes! I don't think it would be a very complicated changed as far as program enhancements go, but yeah, more then 10 minutes.

Sammie said:
Actually much of what your husband has said is true. However based on what friends have told me that work in IT at Disney the fix is not as easy as one might think due to the fact the Dining plan affects many different departments including resorts, dining, and tickets.

The comment made about going into buy paint,that is on sale and ending up getting much more is certainly true. But I am also sure your husband would agree that if Home Depot is offering a specific paint on sale for $10.99 they do not want people walking out with the 50 dollar per gallon paint that is not on sale either. Neither does Disney.

His thought on the coding was that it would basically use some of the same coding that distinguishes say, table service credits from snack credits and counter service credits. His speculation was that some of those same partitions could be slightly altered and used to distinguish types of credits as well. Now I may be confusing the situation because I know NOTHING about coding or programming :confused3 (he took all the classes and actually knows what he's talking about) but that seemed to be the gist of what he was saying to me. He was saying that they took the time to put those divisions in- TS,CS,snack (thank God- could you imagine THAT fiasco if those weren't separated :sad2: ) that it shouldn't be that much harder to divide it further. He did say that the hard part would be implementing it throughout the resort- the coding/programming is the easy part.

As for the paint thing- that was just an example- I really don't want to start an ethics debate. I understand what you're saying but I guess in the end the families will decide what they need to do- frankly there are some times when I would happily give my kids the adult CS meal and eat the kids meal myself :blush: Some may find that an abuse of credits but we'll do what we need to in that area. I have a very limited diet so we make things work for us- if that means swapping with my kiddos so be it. :)

ZPT1022 said:
His thought on the coding was that it would basically use some of the same coding that distinguishes say, table service credits from snack credits and counter service credits. His speculation was that some of those same partitions could be slightly altered and used to distinguish types of credits as well. Now I may be confusing the situation because I know NOTHING about coding or programming :confused3 (he took all the classes and actually knows what he's talking about) but that seemed to be the gist of what he was saying to me. He was saying that they took the time to put those divisions in- TS,CS,snack (thank God- could you imagine THAT fiasco if those weren't separated :sad2: ) that it shouldn't be that much harder to divide it further. He did say that the hard part would be implementing it throughout the resort- the coding/programming is the easy part.

As for the paint thing- that was just an example- I really don't want to start an ethics debate. I understand what you're saying but I guess in the end the families will decide what they need to do- frankly there are some times when I would happily give my kids the adult CS meal and eat the kids meal myself :blush: Some may find that an abuse of credits but we'll do what we need to in that area. I have a very limited diet so we make things work for us- if that means swapping with my kiddos so be it. :)

yes your husband is right, the implementation at all the various venues is a major problem. As to your ordering the kid's meal and giving your child the adult meal, I can see no reason why anyone would say that is wrong. And as I said in another thread I can appreciate the challenges presented by the plan dining on CS meals with kids and I think Disney is being flexible with that. But if the abuse of TS meals continues and they lose money, then all the flexibility and possibly the plan in general will either be so restrictive or taken away completely.

Sammie said:
Now some on this thread will believe this and some won't. Whatever. For one unless you "work" for Disney, fixing the computer issue is not a 10 minute fix. There are many tech issues, many different departments involved and they don't want to punish the guest trying to use it correctly becuase of the abuse by others.

They truly did try to brainstorm all the possible problems. But they did not have the mind set to be devious and dishonest and never imagined that people would go to the lengths they have to scam the system. They truly thought people would understand that if you purchase a child's meal you get a child's meal. That seems to work at all other restaurants anyone frequents.

I seriously doubt that anyone goes into McDonald's, orders a kid's meal and expects them to give them a Big Mac, fries and large drink instead at no extra cost. There is truly no difference.

So many times Disney has to release something to the public before they can find out how many loopholes exisit. As one police officer told me once, if you want to find out how to make your house secure, ask a thief.

The changes to the plan are expensive and I for one do not thank anyone for making Disney have to do this. That cost is past on to each of us.

I agree that the kid's menu's need improvement but I don't think taking food without paying for it is the answer.

I do have to ask and would appreciate an honest answer, those that do this with no problem, do you do this in your daily lives? Just curious as to whether this is something you save for Disney.

Okay, wow people take everything way too literally here. Did you guys really think I meant it would literally take 10 minutes? I think I meant that it should be an easy fix.

As for the McDonalds analogy I give you this... At McDonalds, I can get my child a kids burger, kids fries, kids coke. A burger place that sells kids burgers. At Papa Ginos I can get a kids meal that has umm, kids pizza. So my frustration was simply that from these boards it seemed that maybe that is not possible at Disney. I think maybe the loophole exists because Disney knows that the menu is a problem.

How would Disney be punishing the honest guests by fixing the system? I'm not really sure.

Then you say that they did not imagine people going to great lengths to scam the system. Are you claiming that the people at disney are that dumb? I've been reading these boards for maybe a year. I see so many threads about scamming the sytem, trying to get off cheaper than normal that it is impossible Disney doesn't know people will do that. Have they learned nothing from the Refillable Mugs? Disney would not be a succesful company if they didn't know this. And I don't mean anything by this, as you seem to be posting as if you are a Disney insider. But if you worked for my company and you assumed everyone would be honest when we had a business plan I would be forced to fire you because you would allow us to lose money. I don't think Disney is losing money on this plan.

And I am no programmer either, but I would have to assume that the steps to fix the system would be...

1: change the code on the cards to separate child and adult credits.
2: change the code on the computer system.
3: add a button to the cash register for the clerk to press (adult dining plan or kids dining plan). Some may argue that adding a button is difficult, but they add menu items don't they, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Please don't take this post as a personal attack, it is not. And I am not trying to justify stealing. As the thread progressed I realized that there may be enough choices for my kids. I just thought it was crazy that they advertised this free dining to me and on the phone touted how great it was that I wouldn't have to pay for dining and then I read that my kids wouldn't really have anything to eat. Hopefully that won't be the case.

I'm not saying it's easy but it's not rocket science either. Disney invented 3 categories of meal credits; TS, CS and snack. All they'd have to do is have 4 or 5 categories instead of 3.

Alternatively they could have just stopped the pooling of credits. A child card gets a child meal. For that matter they could have just come up with a kids eat free program. An adult gets a TS meal they get a childs meal free. Don't even bother tracking the child meal credits.

For that matter Disney could have at least not waited over a year to change the rules in the brochure.

My guess is it took some time before Disney realized the number of guests who considered it a waste to use credits for child meals.

Sammie said:

I think the the "misuse" of the dining plan is because people want an all inclusive family vacation. Knowing all of your meals are paid for ahead of time puts many families at ease (we loved that part) and lets them more freely enjoy the vacation. I think the problem with the current plan is that there are a number of gaps in it.

First of all it does not cover all of your meals and I think that is what many people want and the main reason why families pool meals. Assuming you use your cs credit toward breakfast (which is not a good bang for your buck now with no dessert--why many are choosing not to do this) then you are missing lunch. If you decide on cs lunch then you are missing the breakfast. Yes the dining plan is a lot of food but just for a particular meal. With being in the parks it's hard to cart around your leftovers and with no microwave (in most) rooms you probably don't want to eat those leftovers. If you go to a Signature meal then you a day short of TS credits (assuming you want to a ts each day). I think all the sharing and pooling credits is because as I mentioned above families want that all inclusive experience.

I think Disney should differentiate credits between adults and children but allow more flexibility. Like using two child cs credits for one adult (that way kids could share the adult pizza when no child one is offered--though I do agree with many on this board that what is offered on the children's menus esp. for cs, is downright silly, no pizza or burgers for children offered at a place where it is its speciality--and I know the reason mentioned is because adults might order a kids meal ---not to start another debate--so what if they do many people are watching their waistlines and if child's meal offers some portion control why not?). Also, allow two child ts credits to be allowed for one adult (especially if parents are dropping $ on those expensive kids clubs) or even allow families to purchase more dining credits to suit their needs (even during free dining.

I think if these gaps were closed you'd see less "abuse" of the plan.

Happy eating!!!!!!!!!! popcorn::

event.png

Disney Wonder / Vero Beach March '06
POFQ Aug' 05
Plus numerous trips to Disneyland 1972-1992

shaycamp21 said:
I think the the "misuse" of the dining plan is because people want an all inclusive family vacation. Knowing all of your meals are paid for ahead of time puts many families at ease (we loved that part) and lets them more freely enjoy the vacation. I think the problem with the current plan is that there are a number of gaps in it.

First of all it does not cover all of your meals and I think that is what many people want and the main reason why families pool meals. Assuming you use your cs credit toward breakfast (which is not a good bang for your buck now with no dessert--why many are choosing not to do this) then you are missing lunch. If you decide on cs lunch then you are missing the breakfast. Yes the dining plan is a lot of food but just for a particular meal. With being in the parks it's hard to cart around your leftovers and with no microwave (in most) rooms you probably don't want to eat those leftovers. If you go to a Signature meal then you a day short of TS credits (assuming you want to a ts each day). I think all the sharing and pooling credits is because as I mentioned above families want that all inclusive experience.

I think Disney should differentiate credits between adults and children but allow more flexibility. Like using two child cs credits for one adult (that way kids could share the adult pizza when no child one is offered--though I do agree with many on this board that what is offered on the children's menus esp. for cs, is downright silly, no pizza or burgers for children offered at a place where it is its speciality--and I know the reason mentioned is because adults might order a kids meal ---not to start another debate--so what if they do many people are watching their waistlines and if child's meal offers some portion control why not?). Also, allow two child ts credits to be allowed for one adult (especially if parents are dropping $ on those expensive kids clubs) or even allow families to purchase more dining credits to suit their needs (even during free dining.

event.png

POFQ Aug' 05

You have some very good points. For instance (since I have 2 kids) if I could just order 1 adult pizza meal and use 2 Kids Counter Service credits then I'd be happy because they could share the pizza. Something like this wouldn't even need computer programming, just train the CM's that they can do that (though programming a computer would be easier ;))

Most of your suggestions make sense but Disney desiged the plan to be simple. I don't think they'd ever implement these suggestions but having a charge of something like $2-$3 to upgrade a child CS meal to an adult CS might make sense. Having a charge to upgrade to a signature meal so we don't lose a meal. Add an extra snack, possbily by removing dessert from CS meals. That snack could be used for a muffin for breakfast. Moderate and deluxe hotels have refrigerators and coffee pots. It's easy just to have coffee and a muffin in your room for breakfast.

shaycamp21 said:

event.png

POFQ Aug' 05

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter