• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Counter Service Kids Menus Are Really Limited!

Blue62

Mouseketeer
I have no interest in cheating the system, but my concern for the dining plan is lack of variety in Disney's children's menus.

I'm even more concerned when I look at the counter service menus. For example Pecos Bills' known to be a good burger joint... what's in the kids menu? Beans with hotdogs and chilled chicken, no better at Columbia Harbor House. Liberty Inn in Epcot another cold chicken deal, chicken nuggets and PBJ........ where are the kids burgers at least?

A few weeks ago I overheard a Boatwright's waitress explain to a family on the dinning plan that kids now could in fact order from the adult menu and the father made this request to her stating that his kids had all the nuggets they could stand. I think we would be okay at the table service restaraunts, but the counter service places have me worried. I guess we'd have to pick carefully, maybe going for the pizza joints or the hotdog stands where adult and child food is the same.

Has this been a problem for any of you all on the dining plan? You sit down to a burger or other counter service and your kid gets cold chicken or mac and cheese..... this may be fine for smaller kids, but I don't see this working well for 7 - 9 year olds..... my son will die if I'm choosing burgers and he is choosing PBJ and cold chicken. Might work with my 5yo daughter, maybe.

What CS have the better meals for the bigger kids.. 7, 8, 9 year olds?

Blue62 said:
I have no interest in cheating the system, but my concern for the dining plan is lack of variety in Disney's children's menus.

I'm even more concerned when I look at the counter service menus. For example Pecos Bills' known to be a good burger joint... what's in the kids menu? Beans with hotdogs and chilled chicken, no better at Columbia Harbor House. Liberty Inn in Epcot another cold chicken deal, chicken nuggets and PBJ........ where are the kids burgers at least?

A few weeks ago I overheard a Boatwright's waitress explain to a family on the dinning plan that kids now could in fact order from the adult menu and the father made this request to her stating that his kids had all the nuggets they could stand. I think we would be okay at the table service restaraunts, but the counter service places have me worried. I guess we'd have to pick carefully, maybe going for the pizza joints or the hotdog stands where adult and child food is the same.

Has this been a problem for any of you all on the dining plan? You sit down to a burger or other counter service and your kid gets cold chicken or mac and cheese..... this may be fine for smaller kids, but I don't see this working well for 7 - 9 year olds..... my son will die if I'm choosing burgers and he is choosing PBJ and cold chicken. Might work with my 6yo daughter, maybe.

We ordered adult menu items and shared. I agree that the CS options for kids are seriously limited (especially at the parks). Until Disney changes the dining plan, that's an option. We had no problem ordering up to 3 A meals with a card that said 2A/2C but there have been reports that people have had trouble with that.

Here's another example: Lotus Blossom in EPCOT

Kids menu:

Egg Roll & Beef Fried Rice - with child's soft drink - $3.95

Child's soft drink - $.99

That's it!!!! At least all that's listed on AllEarsNet.

Here's a good one: Pizzafari kids menu has no pizza on it! PBJ and Cheese Quesadilla.

I've always felt that WDW offered the best selection of children's menus in the theme park industry. While not every restaurant offers more than the usual chicken nuggets/hotdog/mac&cheese selections, there are a number of CS locations that do. For instance:
AK
Tusker House
Chicken Drumstick​
Flame Tree
Baked Chicken Wings​
MGM
ABC Commissary
Fish and Chips
Vegetable Noodle Stir Fry​
Flatbread Grill
Grilled Chicken Wrap with seasonal side item​
Pizza Planet
pizza​
EPCOT
Sunshine Seasons
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Mini Sub
Chicken Leg​
Electric Umbrella
Turkey Pinwheels​
Tangierine Cafe
hamburger, pizza​
Yakitori
Teriyaki Chicken with mixed vegetables​
MK
Cosmic Ray's​
chicken noodle soup & cheddar cheese crackers​
El Pirata y el Perico
children's taco​
I will admit that the Fantasyland restaurants are probably the least imaginative in their offerings. But you really don't have to go too far to find something other than chicken nuggets for your child if you really want to.

I would like to hear more about children on the DDP being able to order off adult menu..Is that CS or TS? I think my DD would be happier ordering off the adult menu in the CS places but would be able to deal with the kids menu in the TS places..Anyone know if this can be done? I guess the safest bet is to ask in each place CS when ordering, I am parinoid that they might accidently over charge the adult CS credits and we not have enough credits for the week. I did hear from someone saying that the credits are not distinguished(sp?) between adult and child but I dont want to cheat the system for the TS but I know my DD would be happier with the adult menu at places like Pecos Bills..

I guess I'm getting a little confused with the DP. We used it last year (not during free dining, if that matters) and it was fine. We followed all the "rules".
Not just here, but many sources say that the credits aren't distinguished as child or adult, they are just CS, TS or Snack credits. Then of course they tell you how to use the child credits for adults TS -- don't want that debate here, not the point of this thread. We are on the CS topic.
Last year we left with several unused CS credits.
People write about buying meals for others (stangers) when they have extra credits (I didn't even think about that last year). People say you can do what you want with the credits, if you want to buy yourself 2 CS meals at one time, you can.
Has there been a change to indicate that some meals are child credits and some are adults? I know some want to speculate, but has there been an actual change?
Honestly, last year I felt some of the CS meals for DS age 7 then and a non-picky decent eater were sometimes sparse. He usually ended up eating a little from everyone else's plate to make up for it. BTW, he has an older brother considered an adult by disney terms who would get a giant plate of food. :rolleyes: Big bro was always nice to share and there was always plenty. But, if we were paying OOP I would not get a kids meal for him at some of these places. Tusker House, we love. But, for DS it offers a chicken leg. It's hot in August and we don't snack, so a chicken leg is not a portion big enough for a child his size. He ate half my chicken. :)
I think last year we were so concerned about following the rules that we all waited in line together to order and then let DH and older DS to get food while younger DS and I grabbed a table. Do we all need to wait in line to order? If not, and the credits aren't shown as being adult or child why (persoanl rule enforcement aside) wouldn't DH be able to just order 4 adult CS meals?
If I could, I would probably do this at a couple of places (some places kids meals are fine). I wouldn't feel badly about it because I know we will be offsite a couple of days and have figured we will have at least 8 CS credits we won't use at all, 6 of those being adult.

Here's what I have heard about CS. If there are 2A and 2C, you may not be able to order 4A CS meals at once. But if you go to the counter and order 2 meals, bring the food to the table and order 2 more meals (or you and adult #2 both order and use your cards) then you would have 4 full sized meals, if thats what you wanted popcorn::

Has there been a change to indicate that some meals are child credits and some are adults? I know some want to speculate, but has there been an actual change?

NO. It's all speculation. There is NO way, currently, for a guest to easily determine how many adult credits and how many child credits they have already used. Until Disney officially separates them- they can not and do not expect the guest to keep track on a spreadsheet! :oP

The Sweetness said:
Here's what I have heard about CS. If there are 2A and 2C, you may not be able to order 4A CS meals at once. But if you go to the counter and order 2 meals, bring the food to the table and order 2 more meals (or you and adult #2 both order and use your cards) then you would have 4 full sized meals, if thats what you wanted popcorn::

But you many not even have to do that. I can say with certainty that at POP food court, the CM let you order as many meals as you want with no designation between adult and child credits. By the 5th day my kids couldn't even look at the unsweetened applesauce!

My suggestion is to order what you want telling the CM you are on the dining plan. Then give them your card. It's likely they'll just swipe it and hand you your receipt to sign.

Admittedly this is probably a stupid ?, but whether you are buying all adult CS meals or using CS credits to buy the properly designated adult and child CS meals does everyone in the party need to stand in the line (to verify our existence, I guess) or can some of us just go ahead and get a table? To be very specific, can I send DH and older DS (adult on DP) to wait in line and to order either 3 A CS and I child CS or 4 adult, whichever while I and other son sit down? Has anyone dared to attempt such a feat :banana:

we've always done the "you sit, i carry" method so as to be able to secure a table and have only had a problem in mexico/epcot... not to verify our existence, but my card (due to split ressie/two rooms/etc) said 2A and i was attempting to order 3A meals for dd and i (one was nachos, so not really a meal but slated as one on the menu)... (jftr, dh's card said 1A/1C and he was not ordering at all... ds does not like mexican and they were going to wait 'til we walked to America to get a hot dog)

LizinSTL said:

NO. It's all speculation. There is NO way, currently, for a guest to easily determine how many adult credits and how many child credits they have already used. Until Disney officially separates them- they can not and do not expect the guest to keep track on a spreadsheet! :oP

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...s/MYWDining.pdf

Page 5, child entitlements are not to be used for adults. So that is Disney's expectation.

Back to the OP, though, who doesn't want to cheat the system---what kinds of things do your children like? Cosmic Ray's has some different things, and you could order something you would eat some of off the children's menu then share with your child if they want something more adult. If it's not busy and you have their attention, you could ask if they have the authority to provide you with an alternative for a kid's meal. Disney tries to be accomodating, although with the pace of counterservice it's more difficult.
Tangierine Cafe in Epcot has a kid's burger (not a lot of logic in where they offer what, I'll agree!).
Oooh, Flatbread Grill at the Studios has some nice looking stuff...
Grilled Chicken Wrap with seasonal side item and choice of milk, juice or soft drink $3.99

Chicken Drumstick with Rice and Beans with seasonal side item and choice of milk, juice or soft drink $3.99

Peanut Butter and Jelly, with seasonal side item and choice of milk, juice or soft drink $3.99
Cantina de San Angel at Epcot has a Plato del Nino with normal, adult kinds of food.
Personally, I've enjoyed looking through all the CS options...and we're all vegetarians, so we are also limited...but I think if you go through the CS menus and maybe make a list of places that offer things your kids would enjoy or that you could share a kid's meal and an adult meal (you have some of theirs, they have some of yours)...
Anyway, that might work! We've been making a list of CS places that have the best options for us so that we're not at the mercy of our location :thumbsup2 Hope this helps!

I've posted on this same issue on other threads 'cause it's a common one. At the parks themselves, the offerings are really weak for kids' menus. And I'm not talking portion size--I mean the options. Pinnocchio Haus in MK and Pizzafari in AK are among the worst--no pizza for the kids. Now how many kids are going to think it's okay NOT to have pizza when Mom and Dad get pizza? It surprises me that Disney, which is so geared to families, hasn't deal with this in a better way. Pecos Bill's, as someone else noted, is also pretty bad in this area. I'd be happy if my kids could have half a pizza or a smaller burger, but Disney doesn't even make this an option.

I, too, am not trying to cheat Disney. I do intend, however, to split up and have DH order up to 2 adult meals and then I'll do the same if we have to in order to get meals that our kids will eat. I also do not intend to drag the entire family all around the park to find the one CS spot in MK that serves a decent kids' meal.

We're going in July, so we're not on free dining, and I just think it's silly for me to have my kids get such ridiculous choices when there are better options out there.

As I understand things as they currently stand, credits are pooled, so Disney is not now able to track whether you've used your meals for kid or adult choices. However, some CMs at some CS spots have been limiting the number of adult meals you can get based on what the card says--which is why you might have to split up if you want to get an adult meal for one of the kids. As usual, however, these rules are subject to change.

Just wanted to say that the menus posted on allears are not always complete so don't assume there are no other children's options.

The CS meals are so large surely people can share.

The new brochure clearly states that children 3-9 must order from the kids menu and may not order from the adults. Whether the computer tracks it that way is beside the point. You paid for a child's meal, you should receive a child's meal. You can always just pay for a cheesburger if your 8 or 9 yo needs it. The kids price for the plan is such a bargain anyway. :thumbsup2

BCV23 said:
You can always just pay for a cheesburger if your 8 or 9 yo needs it. The kids price for the plan is such a bargain anyway. :thumbsup2

i was going to make the same suggestion... if you want it, buy it... if the plan is too restrictive, don't buy it... it's not like wdw guests are offered no options... there are plenty of options, but some cost more than others to get what you want...

mlwear said:
Admittedly this is probably a stupid ?, but whether you are buying all adult CS meals or using CS credits to buy the properly designated adult and child CS meals does everyone in the party need to stand in the line (to verify our existence, I guess) or can some of us just go ahead and get a table? To be very specific, can I send DH and older DS (adult on DP) to wait in line and to order either 3 A CS and I child CS or 4 adult, whichever while I and other son sit down? Has anyone dared to attempt such a feat :banana:

I stood in line alone all week and my family found a table. No problems with that at all. If the CMs encouraged me to order all 4 CS desserts and just give them to another guest, I don't see why they'd care if you get 5 CS meals at a time for a party of 2!

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...s/MYWDining.pdf

Page 5, child entitlements are not to be used for adults. So that is Disney's expectation.

But Disney does not currently separate the credits. If a family doesn't eat together at every single meal during the course of the week, are you suggesting that Disney requires you, as a guest, to keep a running tally of your A/C meals? I don't think so. If they separate the credits, then that is a different story, but until they do that...it's SPECULATION.

I remember reading awhile ago on this site that Disney was going to try out an alternative menu for kids. I wonder what ever became of that? It had things like hummus on it.
I agree that the menus for kids at the CS are pretty poor. My DD enjoys eating what we eat. We would just order off the adult menu for us and a kids menu for her and split it with her. It was no big deal for one of us to eat pb&j so she could try something off the adult menu.

But Disney does not currently separate the credits. If a family doesn't eat together at every single meal during the course of the week, are you suggesting that Disney requires you, as a guest, to keep a running tally of your A/C meals? I don't think so. If they separate the credits, then that is a different story, but until they do that...it's SPECULATION.

Why would you have to keep a tally even if you eat some meals seperately? If a child is dining, you order a child's meal. ;)

It is not specualtion that you paid for a child's meal nor is the brochure in any way ambiguous about this point.

We went during free dining last year, and that was my biggest gripe. Not much to choose from, and from that, very little healthy food for little ones. Mine LIKE good food...it's what they are used to.

We did order off the kids menu for mine because my DS LOVES mac and cheese, and for obvious reasons doesn't get it for every meal at home. We let him order what he wanted while on vacation last year.

I agree that it could use some revamping, though.

BCV23 said:
Why would you have to keep a tally even if you eat some meals seperately? If a child is dining, you order a child's meal. ;)

It is not specualtion that you paid for a child's meal nor is the brochure in any way ambiguous about this point.

If my child isn't hungry, I didn't order her a meal. If I wasn't hungry, I didn't order a meal. If I had my girls at the food court, my husband wouldn't know if I got them ice cream for a snack or if they had chicken nuggets.

There is NO separation, at this time, in the distribution of credits for CS meals. (I'm talking specifically about CS. We didn't share any TS meals on this trip). If I had to venture a guess we probably used 16/24 on adult meals. Shall I write Disney a check for $15? I used the dining plan because it was easy. If I had had to keep track of how many A meals and how many C meals we used over the course of the week, it would not have been easy. The receipts tracked how many MEALS we had left. We ordered what we wanted, when we wanted to eat and the plan worked for us. Not a single CM said a word to us about it at any point in the week. We could use any number of CS credits at one time. The disney website says that on their tickets and packages FAQ page.

If you guys want to spend time and energy tracking the credits during your vacation, you are welcome to do that. But until Disney does it for me (separating the A/C credits in the running total on my receipt), I wouldn't think twice about using the package the way we did.

Obviously, Disney isn't overly concerned w/ child credit values since nearly every character meal costs more per meal than an entire day on the plan for a child. Perhaps the DDP police should let Disney worry about the "loopholes" in the plan. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter