• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Counter Service Kids Menus Are Really Limited!

I can certainly appreciate the fact that ones needs to stay on budget, even guests without kids have that concern.

I guess I just was not sure Disney kid meals are any worse than kid meals anywhere in the vacation world. I don't imagine anywhere you would get much for 10.99 per day for 2 meals and a snack.

Do other theme parks, etc. offer better kids meals?

Would most be happy with a kid size burger, pizza and chicken strips?

Please forgive me if this has already been asked...I've been trying to read through all the posts but keep getting the "server is busy" message :badpc: , and I just can't spend the next several hours trying to read through it all LOL!

My understanding of the DDP is that each person is not limited to using only 1 TS, 1 CS, and 1 snack per day. And you could, if you wanted, use all of your credits on your first day (ugh, of course you'd explode from eating all that food, but I'm just posing a hypothetical situation here!). Is this correct?

OK, so I will be going in October with DH, DS7 and DD4. Even if Disney starts tracking adult and child dining credits, couldn't I still use 2 adult CS credits for DH and I and 2 of our other adult CS credits to purchase "better" lunches for my children? Aren't the credits mine to use however (and whenever) I wish? Even if I want to use my adult credits for my kids?

Of course, then the question can be asked, what to do with the extra child credits? Perhaps we'd all be happy eating kids meals on another day...I usually order a happy meal for myself at McD's, so this isn't out of the questions for me. Would this be possible?

Thanks to anyone who can help me understand all this!

Thanks pperfectmom - I plan to have a great time! You are fortunate your kids are so young - mine fall into the 1 "adult"(10yo) and 1 "child" (8 yo) so it will be a little trickier for me - dd will tire quickly of being the only "child". Ds has already agreed to trade meals with her a few times so she can enjoy a change of pace, but I guess you could technically call that sharing or transferring credits - the credits are not being used for those it was intended - hopefully servers won't get that picky, but you never know...

Sammie - you make a good point about the price - that is why we are able to afford it - it would be that much better if ds was not considered and adult, but that is beside the point, it is a great deal for our dd... That being said, just because it is a great deal doesn't mean that they should slack off on the children's menus - the feeling I almost have is - its' so cheap, you shouldn't complain, take what you get. But being the budget conscience person I am, nothing is a good deal at any price if you can't use it. I don't buy items on sale if I don't normally use them just because they are on sale. And I know, if the DDP doesn't work for your family, don't get it. However, it gets tiresome to always have to settle for less, so I am trying to make it work for my family, at least on this trip. The dining plan is costing me almost 2 months worth of groceries, so I would like for the whole family (me, dh, ds10 and dd8)to be able to eat well, not just the "adults".

I'm not sure that the kids meals are worse than other destinations, but the choices leave a lot to be desired. I do encourage healthy eating for my family, but when I'm on vacation, it's nice to slack off a bit. I do think having more of a variety would make a difference - a couple of standard fare items like burgers and then a couple healthier choices. It is not appealing to me to walk with my 2 kids halfway across the park to find a CS that offers more variety when we are hot and hungry. I do think the OP makes a good point about the selections at certain places. Hopefully the menus at allearsnet are not quite complete in those cases. I think that it only makes sense that they would at least offer the specialty/themed item on the childrens menus as well - some CS are more specialized in terms of food items, but if I am near Pizzafari at lunchtime and want to eat pizza, we should all be able to use our credits and get a meal, instead of trying to find a place that serves pizza on the children's menus. They already have the inventory to provide pizzas, why not offer it to the kids as well? That is what is confusing...and I would think frustrating to a hot and hungry visitor who didn't research all the menus and just wants to feed his family pizza at a pizza place on the DDP. It is my understanding that Disney removed burgers/pizzas from some menus because adults were ordering them for themselves, but with so many people using the DDP and child/adult credits, I think they need to reconsider.

You have to separate the legitimate complaints from the complaints of guests who are trying to "game" the plan.

No dining plan--Parents just pay the extra few dollars for an adult CS meal. Very simple. The older child wants an adult CS meal and the parents pay for it.

With the dining plan--Parents don't want to forfeit child dining credits but some older kids have adult tastes. Disney accommodates those guests with buffets and all you care to eat restaurants but there is no equivalent for CS meals.

The old system gave guests some flexibility. The true solution is either for those guests to forgo dining or for Disney to come up with a way for those guests to pay to upgrade a meal from child to adult. I can understand guests not wanting to pay the full cost of an adult CS meal when they already paid for a kids meal. Take the extreme case, can you understand a parent being unhappy if at the end of the trip all of the child CS credits went unused and the parent paid for an extra adult CS meal daily? No option to just pay the difference. No option to pay extra for the meal plan.

Disney might be willing to let a 9 year old consume an adult CS meal, the problem comes in where guests want to have adults use those credits to stretch the plan.

I think most people would be happy with a kids size of whatever the restaurant was serving adults. A pizza restaurant should offer kids pizza and a burger restaurant should offer kids burgers.

Sammie said:
I can certainly appreciate the fact that ones needs to stay on budget, even guests without kids have that concern.

I guess I just was not sure Disney kid meals are any worse than kid meals anywhere in the vacation world. I don't imagine anywhere you would get much for 10.99 per day for 2 meals and a snack.

Sammie said:

Kids meals elsewhere are getting better. At least up here. They used to be TERRIBLE. Not a veggie in sight! When we go to Friendly's/Bob Evans etc., there are at least 10 different meals to choose from for under $5. That's not a theme park, but it's hard to compare WDW with anything because it's, well, DISNEY! :teeth:

I don't think we(my family) are in the majority as far as kids meals go. If we are going to a restaurant that is known for seafood (fresh), I would like to see a down-sized portion of FRESH seafood on the kids menu. NOT breaded, fried, frozen, re-fried popcorn shrimp! When I serve salmon at home, I don't make chicken nuggets for my children.........THEY HAVE TO EAT THE FISH. It's just a rule we have. Hence, now they suck down salmon like we have a stream full of them in the backyard!! :rotfl:

Also, if we have a hankerin' for a good burger, I would like us ALL to be able to order a burger. I guess Disney thinks I'm asking a lot here. ;)

If my DS6 SEES that they have mac and cheese, he might want that all the time. But do I want him eating mac and cheese everyday for 11 days?

MOST restaurants at WDW I don't have ANY problems. They look fantastic! All I am asking (which might be different from other disers) is that if your restaurant is known for serving a certain type of dish (say Columbia Harbor House.....the dish would be seafood, tuna sandwich,etc.), then have a down sized portion of THAT on your childs menu (they currently have mac and cheese :rolleyes: and chilled chicken).

Or, another example..........Cosmic Rays: Rotisserie Chicken and BBQ ribs, mashed potatoes and a veggie.........Yum, Yum ........doesn't that sound good. Yep. Let's go there.

So junior, you get to choose from: chicken noodle soup (and doesn't that sound good today since it's 95 degrees out), chicken garden salad (at least it's a healthy option, you won't mind staring at Mommy while I eat BBQ ribs and mashed potatoes, will you?), chicken nuggets with tater tots or mini corn dogs with tater tots. (mmmmm, processed meat, even better! ) Huh?? :confused3 They don't even get the mashed potatoes or hot veggies? I don't get that.

And it's been said about Pecos Bill's and no burgers on the kids menus.

Now, the TS meals are easier. I know this is sit down but this is an example of a great kids menu to ME:

Rose and Crown

All kids' meals are for guests 3-9

Appetizer

Cheddar Cheese, Fruit & Vegetable Tasting $2.99

Potato and Leek Soup $2.99

Entrees

Cottage Pie - seasoned ground beef with mashed potatoes and melted cheese $5.99

Harry Ramsden's Fish and Chips - battered, fried cod with English chips $6.59

Grilled Chicken - with mashed potatoes and peas $6.99

Macaroni and Cheese $4.99

Bangers and Mash - traditional English sausage, mashed potatoes and gravy $5.99

The Royal Build-Your-Own Ice Cream Sundae $3.99

Maybe they could add a burger but my DS would love almost everything on there and if he wanted beef, he would choose the Cottage Pie.

Again, I think we might be in the minority. I don't know.

And I've heard Sunshine seasons is good so we will probably choose to go there a few times when we are at EPCOT.

And as far as the $10.99 goes............where can I go for filet mignon, cheese soup, pretzel bread, dessert, a counter service meal, and a snack for $37.99?? :teeth:

Lewisc said:
You have to separate the legitimate complaints from the complaints of guests who are trying to "game" the plan.

No dining plan--Parents just pay the extra few dollars for an adult CS meal. Very simple. The older child wants an adult CS meal and the parents pay for it.

With the dining plan--Parents don't want to forfeit child dining credits but some older kids have adult tastes. Disney accommodates those guests with buffets and all you care to eat restaurants but there is no equivalent for CS meals.

The old system gave guests some flexibility. The true solution is either for those guests to forgo dining or for Disney to come up with a way for those guests to pay to upgrade a meal from child to adult. I can understand guests not wanting to pay the full cost of an adult CS meal when they already paid for a kids meal. Take the extreme case, can you understand a parent being unhappy if at the end of the trip all of the child CS credits went unused and the parent paid for an extra adult CS meal daily? No option to just pay the difference. No option to pay extra for the meal plan.

Disney might be willing to let a 9 year old consume an adult CS meal, the problem comes in where guests want to have adults use those credits to stretch the plan.

I think most people would be happy with a kids size of whatever the restaurant was serving adults. A pizza restaurant should offer kids pizza and a burger restaurant should offer kids burgers.

That is exactly it! As I said, I am more than willing to pay to upgrade my DD8's meals if she can't find what she wants. I just hate to pay the entire amount OOP and waste that part of the plan. I can bet I will be paying at Columbia Harbor House, since I know DD isn't going to go for mac and cheese or chilled chicken (yuck!) when the rest of us have chicken strips, fish and tuna!

Lewisc said:

Lewisc.....you got it!

It took me a while to write my post (in and out with children today :) ) so I had the "writing" screen up and didn't see your post. :blush:

That is exactly what I would like to see, a mini version of the adult menu for the kids, pizza in a pizza place, burger in a burger place..Pecos Bills is one of my familys fave but my DD does not enjoy it because of the kids menu..I dont mind sharing but to do that I get the chicken wrap which is easier to share when really I would love to get the burger..lol

bluejasmine said:
That is exactly what I would like to see, a mini version of the adult menu for the kids, pizza in a pizza place, burger in a burger place..Pecos Bills is one of my familys fave but my DD does not enjoy it because of the kids menu..I dont mind sharing but to do that I get the chicken wrap which is easier to share when really I would love to get the burger..lol

Tasha......that's me too. I LOVE chicken wraps and don't do a lot of burgers at home, but when I want one............WHERE'S THE BEEF!! :rotfl: :teeth:

akalittleeva said:
But being the budget conscience person I am, nothing is a good deal at any price if you can't use it.

let me ask you this... if it's free will you take it home even if you might not use it?

the reason i ask is that the CS meal could be considered "Free" on the children's ddp... 'cause it's rare that after the snack and the TS meal that you have not exceeded your $12 that you paid for it... is it any more palatable to consider it "Free" and that way if it goes unused you did not pay for something you did not use?

akalittleeva said:
I think that it only makes sense that they would at least offer the specialty/themed item on the childrens menus as well - some CS are more specialized in terms of food items,

i agree 100%! but i have also said before and will say again... just ASK!! we found that they cms were usually more than willing to work w/in our parameters...

we've dined on the ddp for two vacations thusfar and have another in the hopper and we've got the one kid "adult" and the one kid kid thing going on as well... and we really never had any problem at all whatsoever w/everyone finding something they liked and was relatively healthy for them throughout all those days of dining... personally, i think it's getting blown out of proportion on the boards and is really a non-issue once you're there (unless you are uber-conscious of it because of the boards!)

Sammie said:
my kids would (sadly) be happy with these choices all day everyday, althought they enjoy other foods as well.

That chilled chicken meal is good quality, and obviously someone was trying to think of a healtier alternative to nuggets/fingers but it just isn't appealing to most kids. Maybe the cheese cubes as a snack, but not when others are eating "real" food.

bluejasmine said:

Someone had explained once that they used to have kids pizzas at either pizza planet or pizzafari but discontinued it because adults were ordering the meal and they want to "compel" adults to order the adult sized meals. I guess it was easier to limit the kids meals than deal with the issue of not letting adults order kids meals. Of course in the process of making the kids meal unappealing to adults they have made them unappealling to kids.

Pedler said:
Someone had explained once that they used to have kids pizzas at either pizza planet or pizzafari but discontinued it because adults were ordering the meal and they want to "compel" adults to order the adult sized meals. I guess it was easier to limit the kids meals than deal with the issue of not letting adults order kids meals. Of course in the process of making the kids meal unappealing to adults they have made them unappealling to kids.

Disney could price the kids meal at, or close to, the same price as the adult meal. That would make the meal unattractive to adults but a buy for MYW Dining guests. Cash customers would order the adult meal but MYW Dining guests would have an option. The higher the menu price the better the deal many of the DISBOARD members think they're getting.

gigi1313 said:
i agree 100%! but i have also said before and will say again... just ASK!! we found that the cms were usually more than willing to work w/in our parameters...

Could you tell us more about this, please? Like where you did this and what did you ask for?

I think I'm going to try this at Pecos Bill's. Can't hurt.

And I'm not really worried about what my son is going to eat. I think 90% of the time, we will be fine. And I have almost no worries about the TS restaurants. I would just like Disney to change a few of the restaurants' menus. It seems mostly MK restaurants.

Lewisc said:
Disney could price the kids meal at, or close to, the same price as the adult meal. That would make the meal unattractive to adults but a buy for MYW Dining guests. Cash customers would order the adult meal but MYW Dining guests would have an option. The higher the menu price the better the deal many of the DISBOARD members think they're getting.

That might get non dinning plan people complaining about the kids menu prices. They are really in a no win situation. The whole kids meal concept is for restaurants to attract the adult patrons. Many kids meals barely cover the costs or lose money. If they offer for real kids meals at kids meal prices then they lose revenue from adults ordering the kids meal. If the don't let the adults order the kids meal then they get countless people complaining that the adult meals are too big and why can't the order the kids meals. If they have kids meals at or near adult meal prices then people not on the dinning plan complain about the cost of kids meals. The current situation with lousy kids meals has dinning plan people complaining.

(Note: time to get on soap box now!) I think the root of the problem is that there are adults that want to order kids sized portions. Its not just a cost savings type of thing. They just don't want that much food. The problem is that the fast food industry is pushing larger and larger sizes to increase their revenue and profit margin. I look at the McDonalds combo meals today and they are all large and have some serious calorie counts. Fortunately at McDonalds you could order a single hamburger, small fries and small soda. Disney has no such option for adults. The default is at least a quarter pound burger. As such if they were to offer a kids sized burger (Amazingly enough what is the kids burger meal at McDonalds use to be considered a normal sized burger!) Disney would have quite a few adults wanting to order that as well and thus the problem. The same goes for the Pizza. You can't get the equivuivelent of just one slice. There is no small size, just the normal, i.e. large. So for Disney to maximize their CS revenue, i.e. force people to order larger meals, they can't have kids meals that adults may want to order.

(ok. time to get off soapbox.)

Sammie said:
Just curious those parents who are saying that the children's menus are too limited, what did you do to feed your children prior to the Dining Plan?

Did you always purchase adult meals for them?

I guess I am curious as I don't remember much discussion of the lack of edible children's meals until the Dining Plan became popular. I do remember discussions from Adults "wanting" to eat the Kid's meal. They must like that crappy food. :rolleyes:

To answer your question, we have always felt that the kids CS meals were pretty lame. That's one of the reasons we used to purchase the Dreammaker Gold plan for our family that included 3 TS meals per day (plus a bunch of over things we never used :) ).

When we bought into DVC in 2004, the current meal plan (MYW DDP) was not an option, so we paid cash for our food. And, yes, we still thought the CS choices were lame even paying cash for them. In fact, in Dec 2005 we ate CS for lunch pretty much every day. I think maybe once or twice did I purchase kids meals at any of them. We bought adult meals because most of the time my kids wanted burgers and guess what-try to find them on a kids CS menu! It's almost impossible, even at "burger" places.

I also did not find the burgers to be "huge" as some have suggested sharing the meal. My DD was a month away from turning 4 in Dec and weighed about 29 pounds. She is NOT a huge eater. Every day she ate about 90% of that burger. It was just a regular sized cheeseburger. :confused3

So, yes we have always been pretty unhappy with the kids choices. We are buying the meal plan for our Oct trip, mostly for dinners (it's now available to DVC members). If my kids want burgers at CS places, I plan to just pay for them. I don't really care if we have CS credits left over. I wouldn't order kids CS choices that I know they are not going to eat. They would just waste it, and then bug me for a snack 30 minutes later. Either way, I'm paying for something! :)

Lewisc said:
Exactly, I doubt Disney had a problem when the "child" credit was being used at a signature restaurant (not a good value for the guest) and the kid was in a child's club. I suspect Disney had a problem when guests refuse to "waste" a kid credit on a child meal and were using "banked" credits to treat guests not even staying at a WDW resort.

I agree, I have always thought it outrageous that people would see nothing wrong with doing this.

we've asked for different sides and gotten them (i.e. a "kids'" applesauce side w/an adult meal instead of the fries); we've gotten a whole pizza w/two adult (credits which was more than enough for my family of four esp when you add the two sides [we got salads], drinks and desserts); we've done the double cheeseburger extra bun deal; we got a "smaller" (lower priced) serving of lo mein at pop century food court; instead of a big spaghetti/meatball adult meal, we've had just a meatball or two on a plate for ds (as one child CS)...

again, i think it's more of a big deal on the boards than it is in real life... but that's just one opinion :)

gigi1313 said:
let me ask you this... if it's free will you take it home even if you might not use it?

the reason i ask is that the CS meal could be considered "Free" on the children's ddp... 'cause it's rare that after the snack and the TS meal that you have not exceeded your $12 that you paid for it... is it any more palatable to consider it "Free" and that way if it goes unused you did not pay for something you did not use?

Honestly, I wouldn't take something if I wasn't going to use it - I don't like to be wasteful - I'd rather leave it for someone who may need it. I see your point of the CS being free, however, if I order a CS for my child from some of the choices we have been speaking of, and isn't eaten (which it wouldn't be with some of the options), she will soon be looking for something else to eat that will end up coming OOP.

akalittleleeva... i didn't mean to actually order the food and throw it away, but if you view the CS credit as "free" would you then feel better about leaving CS child credits go unused? and/or possibly substituting an oop or shared adult meal?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter