Confirmed "new kids menu" sightings

I have canceled a few of ours (Spoodles being one of them) and replaces them with buffets because of this. Again, I am fine with these meals, but not at every darn place!

At our experience at Kona, the server was very understanding that the new menu was not being well recieved. They were doing their best to offer subsitutes on the new menu--switching around sides and such. Yet, they would not subsitute the kiddie cone for the ice cream sundae which is offered on the kid's menu. We choose not to pay OOP for it because dd was willing to share---atleast willing to share the cotton candy which was the most important part to my ds. Our experience at Spoodles was totally different, the server said no to subsitutes. IMO, once he found out we were on the DP, he became unattentive. Spoodles was not a good experience for us. We did eat at Le Cellier on Monday the 16th and they did not have the new menu. DS was able to order the kids steak which he enjoyed very much. It was a great meal!

I guess the main reason I am so ticked about this is we had planned a 10 day stay, purchasing the DDP and doing nothing but Disney parks, even staying on property for 'relax' days and doing some of the extra curriculars. Part of that planning involved 3 months of looking at menus and coming up with a real Whiz bang adventure. Now, if its not worth it to do the DDP, then its probably not worth it to stay onsight, and if its not worth it to stay onsight its not worth spending all our vacation in their parks, especially with better food and accomodation choices to be found elsewhere and other attractions that we would equally enjoy. It gets to be an issue where the convenience becomes a negative because of the food issue, now not everyone falls into our category (group of 12, 8 kids, 5 on the kiddie menu) which makes sharing impractical and paying OOP on top of everything else unrealistic.

doodlebugs said:
At our experience at Kona, the server was very understanding that the new menu was not being well recieved. They were doing their best to offer subsitutes on the new menu--switching around sides and such. Yet, they would not subsitute the kiddie cone for the ice cream sundae which is offered on the kid's menu. We choose not to pay OOP for it because dd was willing to share---atleast willing to share the cotton candy which was the most important part to my ds. Our experience at Spoodles was totally different, the server said no to subsitutes. IMO, once he found out we were on the DP, he became unattentive. Spoodles was not a good experience for us. We did eat at Le Cellier on Monday the 16th and they did not have the new menu. DS was able to order the kids steak which he enjoyed very much. It was a great meal!

That is what I would find frustrating - inconsistency - if they are going to put out such a consistent menu, the way it is implemented should also be consistent. I don't want to go from TS to TS hoping it will be the same, if the menus are the same, then the experience with the menu should be the same, preferably with flexibility in switching sides etc. - I don't know why that would be such a big deal. If I want rice instead of potatoes and they have it in the restaurant, it wouldn't be a problem, so why should taking the veggies from one combo and subbing with another combo be any different on the kids menu? I don't think it is too much to ask, especially in light of the changes. I know WDW is a huge company with thousands of employees, but I don't see any reason why the consistency can't be there with this new menu. Glad to hear LeCellier still has the old menu - fingers crossed it stays that way.

doodlebugs said:
We found it at Kona's, Spoodles, and Jack's this past week. I am all for creating healthy options for kid's meals, but this so restrictive and so limited. My DS was dissapointed every time he was given the standard new menu. Each of those meals, he had the same thing---a hamburger because he didn't care for the sides for the picture options. Looking back our experience at Kona's is comical in a sick way. As we were lead to our table by the hostess, she made a point of taking us by the desserts----"ooohhh they look so delicious". My DS and DD saw the Kid's cone which they remember from our past trip and both decided that is what they wanted it again. Well, when it came time to order, my DD was able to order the "kids cone" because she is over 10 and an adult in Disney's eyes, but my DS was not able to order it because he was 8. Talk about dissapointment in his eyes! He hung his head like he was being punished. Of course he was able to share with his sister, but if one of the "adults" did not order it, he would not have been able to get it on the DP. It would seem reasonable to me for each restuarant to develop their own menus with healthy a la cart choices......choices that the children and their parents make according to each restuarant.

The removal of the "kiddie cone" from the kids menu didn't happen as a result of this new menu introduction. It was off the kids menu prior to that. We were there in September and it was not on the menu anymore and I'm not sure if it was on the menu during our last trip either (can't remember). However, our server was nice enough to add the cotton candy to ds4's dessert because that's really all he wanted of it anyway.

As for the report of the new menu at Spoodles, that has me concerned. After speaking with several people at Disney (2 hostesses from different restaurants and a call back regarding my email) the information being given out is that the new menu is "in addition" to the old and that if you don't like the choices on the new menu, ask the server for items previously offered or make substitutions. I'm very disturbed that you are reporting that all requests for substitutions were declined.

If this is the case, I might have to change our ressie there. My calls to LeCellier and Coral Reef have left me feeling that we'll be fine (since the old options are still there) but these severe restrictions at Spoodles might knock it off my list.

I'm going to call again tomorrow and see what Disney Dining says. And them I'm going to ask to be connected directly to the restaurant. If I don't get the answer I want, I'm going to attempt to change out our ressie, which might be exceedingly difficult, as we go in 2 weeks.

Thanks for this update.

kimbac3 said:
Do you know what alacarte menu options were available?? Is there still steak available? I really hope I can order old options for my kids!
Kimba

The alacarte was the same as all the others- chicken noodle soup or salad, mac and cheese or burger, fruit cup or ice cream. Its the same exact menu at all the restaurants. I got to know it by heart before they even handed it to us. My oldest likes the chicken strips meal with the bowl of yogurt, but thought the sweet potato fries/sticks were "yucky"!

HOWEVER the table next to us were making requests and changes- I saw the one child got cheese pizza (no pineapple), with chicken noodle soup and the ice cream. The CM very nicely asked "so you don't want the chosen sides with the pizza? Its a very rounded- healthy meal." and the mom was like "um, no".

at Concourse I was talking to the CM and he said that because they're in a transition period, you may be able to get some of the old menu items, but they won't be advertising it/promoting it/mentioning it. You have to know it and ask for it. However, who knows how long that will last, because the new menu is replacing it and that's all you'll be able to get there once the supplies from the old menu runs out.

jeni1072 said:
The alacarte was the same as all the others- chicken noodle soup or salad, mac and cheese or burger, fruit cup or ice cream. Its the same exact menu at all the restaurants. I got to know it by heart before they even handed it to us. My oldest likes the chicken strips meal with the bowl of yogurt, but thought the sweet potato fries/sticks were "yucky"!

HOWEVER the table next to us were making requests and changes- I saw the one child got cheese pizza (no pineapple), with chicken noodle soup and the ice cream. The CM very nicely asked "so you don't want the chosen sides with the pizza? Its a very rounded- healthy meal." and the mom was like "um, no".

Thanks! We talked about it and we decided that we will probably try Concourse. Will just hope we get a good cast member who is willing to let us be flexible. If not I'll just promise my youngest a big fat ice cream cone from Magic Kingdom...or maybe some candy :teeth:
Kimba

We went to Coral Reef on 10/21. The kids menu here was no problem. Appetizers were vegetable sticks with dip, fish chowder, or lobster bisque. Main courses were grilled chicken with mashed potatoes and vegetables, grilled chicken also with mashed potatoes and vegetables, cheese pizza, or pasta with tomato/or cheese sauce. Dessert was make your own sundae, or an ice cream bar.

angelmav said:
Now, if its not worth it to do the DDP, then its probably not worth it to stay onsight, and if its not worth it to stay onsight its not worth spending all our vacation in their parks, especially with better food and accomodation choices to be found elsewhere and other attractions that we would equally enjoy.

Angelmav,
that was something I noted in my email to Disney - and it got the response of a call back! If using the DDP causes grief for me (via the complaints of my kids) - why would I subject myself to that? The other problem I have is that so many of the counter service meals have limited choices (endless applesauce) that it makes for a boring vacation at mealtimes for my kids.

I can't say it enough for to everyone to call or email your complaints - the CM I spoke to kept referring to the fact that I hadn't been there yet under the new menu (to make the point that I had no basis other than these boards for my complaints). He said they'd had NO complaints on the new menu and that only favorable feedback had been received. For those of you who have gone and experienced it and don't approve, please email Disney. Sounds like most of us here get to Disney pretty regularly and I'd hope that Disney would listen and make a change at least for our future visits.

jeni1072 said:

This concerns me.... I thought each restaurant was going to offer 2 ala carte items that would be different at each place. What I am most worried about is my daughter not being able to get spaghetti at the Italian places etc...
I can hear it now, "Yes, I know this is an Italian restaurant and spaghetti is your favorite, but this Italian restaurant doesn't offer it to kids. You can get chicken salad and yogurt, doesn't that sound good instead..."

mommy3 said:
Angelmav,
that was something I noted in my email to Disney - and it got the response of a call back! If using the DDP causes grief for me (via the complaints of my kids) - why would I subject myself to that? The other problem I have is that so many of the counter service meals have limited choices (endless applesauce) that it makes for a boring vacation at mealtimes for my kids.

I can't say it enough for to everyone to call or email your complaints - the CM I spoke to kept referring to the fact that I hadn't been there yet under the new menu (to make the point that I had no basis other than these boards for my complaints). He said they'd had NO complaints on the new menu and that only favorable feedback had been received. For those of you who have gone and experienced it and don't approve, please email Disney. Sounds like most of us here get to Disney pretty regularly and I'd hope that Disney would listen and make a change at least for our future visits.

This is an out and out lie. There have been PLENTY of complaints about the new kids' menu. Lots of us have gotten phone calls back after complaining.

It's so disappointing to have Disney using CM's to spread lies like this.

oogieboogie said:
at Concourse I was talking to the CM and he said that because they're in a transition period, you may be able to get some of the old menu items, but they won't be advertising it/promoting it/mentioning it. You have to know it and ask for it. However, who knows how long that will last, because the new menu is replacing it and that's all you'll be able to get there once the supplies from the old menu runs out.

Hmmm..how are supplies going to run out. THe kids menu had shrimp cocktail appet, and petite filet mignon. If they are on the adult menu, then they can't run out of them on the kids menu, can they??

JoiseyMom said:
Hmmm..how are supplies going to run out. THe kids menu had shrimp cocktail appet, and petite filet mignon. If they are on the adult menu, then they can't run out of them on the kids menu, can they??

things like the paint your own cookie, tie dye bread, etc.

Believe me they're not going to put out the old menu in addition to the new menu. What they're advertising and putting in front of your table is the new menu.

I'm only writing here of my conversation with the CM. Nothing more nothing less. Anything is open to interpretation. If you ask for the old menu items and they come back and say sure go ahead, well good for you. If they say no, we don't have it, this is all you get, then at least you're forewarned.

oogieboogie said:
I'm only writing here of my conversation with the CM. Nothing more nothing less. Anything is open to interpretation. If you ask for the old menu items and they come back and say sure go ahead, well good for you. If they say no, we don't have it, this is all you get, then at least you're forewarned.

That's the way I'm treating all of the information posted here - maybe we'll get lucky and be able to sub for our son, but as there seems to be no official position, then it's just a risk we're taking. I need to start booking ADRs soon so we're rejigging our plans to include more buffets and non-Disney owned restaurants so that DS will only be "hit" with the new menu a couple of times during our fortnight's holiday.

Just today DH & were saying that if the children's choices don't improve by the time we next visit, we'll just do a split stay of 5 nights at WDW and 5 nights at a Universal property - we'd be having a couple of rest days plus a day each at Universal/IoA/Sea World anyway so it's no skin off our nose if we don't spend the whole time at a WDW hotel. It's a good excuse to drag ourselves away from our addiction to the Mouse & try something new. :teeth:

I think someone should send Disney the link to this (and any other) threads where people are saying that's making them re-think their entire Disney plans and go elsewhere for at least part of their trip. I don't think that's the effect they had in mind. :rolleyes:

To start with has anyone seen this at La Cellier? Also has anyone had any problems ordering the old items for kids at WCC? These are two places we are looking at, but this menu is changing a lot for us. I too will be emailing Disney, I think this is going to far. I am all for offering choices, but this is just to much. My kids don't want to eat the same thing over and over, after all this is their vacation too.

I just e-mail them again, I think these is crazy. My boys are not going to be happy at all with this menu.

We planned a night at Teppanyaki because we thought the kids wold love watching the food being prepared at our table and the antics of the chiefs. Now with the new kids menus does this mean that they don't cook the kids food at the table. If so we will cancel. Does anyone know or has eaten at Teppanyaki since the new kids menu has come out. Thanks :confused3

We just got back from a 7 day stay and after our first lunch at Sci Fi where my ds didn't touch a thing on his plate we decided to cancel the rest of our ADR's and ate offsite the rest of the time. Thank goodness I decided at the last minute to cancel the dining plan because it would have been a waste.

We are going back in June 07 and will be planning all of our meals offsite again. I'm all for healthy choices for the kids but couldn't they just leave the nuggets alone and add the healthy choices? Oh well we are adapting and saving a lot of $$ by not eating at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter