• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Confirmed "new kids menu" sightings

mommy3 said:
A gentlemen called me from Disney Dining regarding the email I sent about the new kids menus being rolled out throughout the World. At first he really didn't want to admit this was new - said they had been test marketing this for awhile - but I begged to differ based upon what I read here on the boards. I have 3 girls - 4, 7 and 9yo's who really only eat a handful of food to begin with and while the chicken & cheese pizza (without the chicken) and the mac & chz will probably be fine, seeing this menu over and over would be a bummer after a few days. I told him THAT was the issue - and that while I'm sure most parents appreciated the healthier options, that we were still on vacation and it should be my choice as to whether my kids eat chicken nuggets or cold chicken strips. I asked why they couldn't offer each course as a la cart, so that the child could pick between all of the appetizers/entrees/desserts rather than 'plating' 3 of the meals and only offering 2 a la carte options. He noted that requesting the substitutions should be no problem although I have read that some servers have said 'no' to this. He said they should allow it and if they don't just ask for a manager. I told him that each restaurant really should be able to offer at least a few of the adult entrees at a smaller kids version - like many of our restaurants do around here. He said most would if we asked. He did seem to indicate that this was just a 'test' but I got the impression it was going to be long test. This is going to be the new 'base menu' as he called it at many of the restaurants but the chefs of each individual restaurant will have the discretion to add to the menu from their specialties. He said that he has heard no complaints about the menu - I told him that he just needed to go on this board to see how upset parents are at the elimination of some basic 'kid' food. He said that people should complain when they get to the restaurant or email disney (like I did, via their website). So I encourage all of you to email your concerns, as this is going to be the only way Disney will listen. I was on the phone with the guy for almost 45 minutes! and I appreciated the call. Oh, and by the way, I complained that at our visit 2 years ago, we encounter the 'cold' chicken strips - which he said weren't supposed to be cold, but our server told us then that they were and others have indicated the same here. AND I complained about the incessant use of applesauce as a side dish - I remember leaving about 10 little containers of the stuff in the hotel room when we left because there is only so much applesauce even a kid will eat! He was very nice and although he didn't verbally agree with me, I know I got my point across.
I just got my phone call too. I was very surprised by it. It's nice to know they are reading them. Everyone e-mail if you don't like the new menu! He said many people are reading them and they are being passed on. He couldn't answer if this was a test for a short while or if it was goign to last. He understand many of us our upset. I don't knwo if I got any place with the call but at least peopel knwo how I feel.

Buffalogal, a disney server, basically posted what the gentleman from disney said. Ask your server for substitutions and if they refuse, ask a manager. Each restaurant is adding thier own items to the menu. Just ask what else they have to offer since the physical new menu leaves little space for the restaurant's specialties. It seems that the plan for implementation will make this new menu "in addition to" some of the other items, you'll just have to ask for the other stuff - but clearly some servers are not quite on board with that yet (some people getting refused for subs, etc). In another couple weeks I'm sure it will be smooth sailing all around.

Could someone tell me the two ala carte entrees for 50 pt and the dessert choices also? Does anyone know the ala carte desserts for sci fi? TIA

disneynewbee said:
Could someone tell me the two ala carte entrees for 50 pt and the dessert choices also? Does anyone know the ala carte desserts for sci fi? TIA

Sci-fi had fruit salad and ice cream sundae.

honeymo78 said:
Buffalogal, a disney server, basically posted what the gentleman from disney said. Ask your server for substitutions and if they refuse, ask a manager. Each restaurant is adding thier own items to the menu. Just ask what else they have to offer since the physical new menu leaves little space for the restaurant's specialties. It seems that the plan for implementation will make this new menu "in addition to" some of the other items, you'll just have to ask for the other stuff - but clearly some servers are not quite on board with that yet (some people getting refused for subs, etc). In another couple weeks I'm sure it will be smooth sailing all around.

It should not be necessary to have to go to the manager to be able to order a meal - if it is available, it should be on the menu.

Im with you akalittleeva, I go to a restaurant for that type of food, why should I have to guess about what may be available, heck I am making the darned reservations 180 + 10 days out, you would hope with that kind of planning I wouldnt have to beg to get some variety for my kids, whom the trip is for anyway.

I just found this thread and haven't had time to go through all 10 pages so forgive me if this is something that's already on here, but:

1. Does anyone have a comprehensive list (in one post, rather than scattered through a lot of posts) of which restaurants are using the new menu?

and

2. Does the new kids menu only apply if you are on the DDP? I had thought it applied for all kids ordering kids food, but SIL thinks it is only for those kids using DDP credits.

Thanks so much for any responses!

Leslie

lklasing said:
1. Does anyone have a comprehensive list (in one post, rather than scattered through a lot of posts) of which restaurants are using the new menu?

and

2. Does the new kids menu only apply if you are on the DDP? I had thought it applied for all kids ordering kids food, but SIL thinks it is only for those kids using DDP credits.

Thanks so much for any responses!

Leslie

It's gradually coming to all table service restaurants. Right now, it's been confirmed at Tony's, Sci Fi, 50's Prime Time, Brown Derby, Mama Melrose, and a couple others.

The menu is for all children -- whether on the DDP or not.

I got the call back yesterday afternoon from a woman at Disney. Basically, I said my concern was that my son would have additional items beyond the fixed menu that has been pictured on Allears. She told me that the "signature" restaurants like Coral Reef (which is not signature for purposes of the DP but is more upscale than family style or buffet) has not adopted the menu whole but has tweaked their existing menu to offer healthier alternatives. The chefs, she said, have the discretion to add their own dishes to the menu as well.

So, like out in the real world, if I don't see something on the menu that my sons like, I will not hesitate to ask the server if there is something we can make for him using the ingredients they already have. I'm pretty sure at this point that we'll be fine, since the lobster soup is still at CR, LeCellier still has the cheese soup and if we get to Spoodles and it's more limited, I'll order a flatbread and let him eat it.

I think by our trip in February, there will be more tweaks to the new menu project and if needed, I can always upgrade him then. But I think things will stay pretty much like this for the next few weeks (the rep did indicate that they didn't anticipate any more serious changes in the immediate future).

I for one am glad they are reading these emails and paying attention to our concerns. Who knows...maybe the initial plan was to put this menu in all restaurants and the outpouring of emails and comments caused them to rethink and limit the rollout to the way it is now.

I was exceedingly polite and appreciative and I always think that goes a long way too.

lklasing said:
1. Does anyone have a comprehensive list (in one post, rather than scattered through a lot of posts) of which restaurants are using the new menu?[/QOUTE]

I've been trying to keep a running list of locations when they're mentioned, and I've been told by sevearl Dining CMs the last few days that it is expected to be at all Disneyowned menu based table service restaurants. So far I've read of the menu at
[
  • Sci Fi
  • Prime Time
  • Mama Melrose's
  • Tony's
  • Boatwrights
  • Kona
  • Hollywood Brown Derby

lklasing said:
2. Does the new kids menu only apply if you are on the DDP? I had thought it applied for all kids ordering kids food, but SIL thinks it is only for those kids using DDP credits. [/QOUTE]

You are correct. The kids menu is the kids menu is the kids menu - no matter how you pay. Although I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a main menu available to all and then have an insert available only to cash customers. (for adult and kids)

jeni1072 said:
Concourse Steakhouse has it as of 10/15.

Do you know what alacarte menu options were available?? Is there still steak available? I really hope I can order old options for my kids!
Kimba

We found it at Kona's, Spoodles, and Jack's this past week. I am all for creating healthy options for kid's meals, but this so restrictive and so limited. My DS was dissapointed every time he was given the standard new menu. Each of those meals, he had the same thing---a hamburger because he didn't care for the sides for the picture options. Looking back our experience at Kona's is comical in a sick way. As we were lead to our table by the hostess, she made a point of taking us by the desserts----"ooohhh they look so delicious". My DS and DD saw the Kid's cone which they remember from our past trip and both decided that is what they wanted it again. Well, when it came time to order, my DD was able to order the "kids cone" because she is over 10 and an adult in Disney's eyes, but my DS was not able to order it because he was 8. Talk about dissapointment in his eyes! He hung his head like he was being punished. Of course he was able to share with his sister, but if one of the "adults" did not order it, he would not have been able to get it on the DP. It would seem reasonable to me for each restuarant to develop their own menus with healthy a la cart choices......choices that the children and their parents make according to each restuarant.

Two more confirmations:

Concourse Steakhouse - Contemporary resort -> ala carte was again mac & cheese and hamburger. No more tie dye grilled cheese sandwich and no more paint your own cookie desserts. Sigh...

Boatwrights - Port Orleans Riverside -> ala carte was mac & cheese and hamburger.
Here we were able to just order a hamburger at $3.99, but it took a lot of hassling back and forth with the server. I asked if DS gets a pita pizza if he could get an ice cream sundae as the dessert. As I suspected... a big fat NO. I asked if he could get just the strawberries (as it is on the parfait). The answer again a big fat NO.

I really hate to hear that it's at Spoodles. I thought they had about the best kids' menu of anywhere on Disney property. We ate there on 10/12, and the new menu wasn't there yet. DD8 had cheese flatbread for appetizer; DS5 had a bowl of fresh fruit. For entrees, they both had grilled chicken with substitutes of fries & goldfish for mashed potatoes & veggies. They had build your own sundae & cookies & milk for desserts. They both LOVED Spoodles & said that it was on their "let's go back" list. We had even been told by our server there that kids could order off of the adult menu if they wished.

We encountered the new menu at Sci-Fi and Kona. At both places, the a la carte entrees were mac&cheese and hamburger. My kids were fine then, but I would hate it those were the only choices they'd had for 10 days!!

Like many others here, I'm all for healthy choices, as long as they are just that -- CHOICES. If I get to choose yummy, delicious foods on vacation that I don't normally have at home, then my kids should too.

Even though we won't be back at to WDW until next October, sounds like I should email my two cents worth. And I certainly hope this doesn't cross over to Disney Cruise Line!! We're doing a land/sea package next year & I don't want to have to deal with it on the ship too!

oogieboogie said:
Two more confirmations:

Concourse Steakhouse - Contemporary resort -> ala carte was again mac & cheese and hamburger. No more tie dye grilled cheese sandwich and no more paint your own cookie desserts. Sigh...

Wow. We may have to cancel here. My DD wanted the kids steak. There aren't many places to order steak for kids. I could order a steak of the adult menu but that would be too much food and too much money (the cheapest would be $19.99). I really hate the changes. How anyone can think this is "better" is completely beyond me. OK add the "healthy" stuff but leave the old stuff. Good grief!! Boy this gives me a headache!!
I'm also sorry to hear they won't allow substitutions. I was kind of counting on that. I guess if I complained loudly enough to the manager at Concourse I may be able to get a steak for my DD but I shouldn't have to complain to get steak at a steakhouse :confused3 :rolleyes:
Know any good offsite steakhouses???
Kimba

PS Thanks to all for the continuing updates. It's our only accurate info!! Keep them coming!!

I was able to change my Concourse ADR - thank heavens! I got Wolfgang Puck Cafe - I'm presuming that menu won't change. If I hadn't been able to change, dd would see this menu 6 times! Even so, it is still 5 times out of 9 TS meals. It is disappointing to see the same ala carte items at more than 1 restaurant as she will only eat one of the combos and doesn't like mac and cheese, so we were hoping for her to get a little variety with the last ala carte item. Dd wanted the steak at Concourse, too. Is LeCellier using the new menu? If they change over, I will have to bite the bullet and order her an adult steak so she can get at least one on her trip.

Doodlebugs - did you try to order the kiddie cone for ds at Kona and pay OOP, did you express any discontent for the menu and if so, did the servers offer something different? Just wondering what to expect when we go next month.

I just can not believe this!! I was so looking forward to Kona's. Not anymore :furious:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter