Club level let down

I think CL is great with small children
I'm staying at the Polynesian with my wife and 2 kids (who will be 5yo and 1yo) in early Dec (4th-10th). We decided to get a Club Level room, mostly for the convenience for breakfast (usually just fresh fruit and maybe a bagel in our family) and the ability to see the fireworks. Our oldest goes to bed fairly early (in the 730-830 range) but we want him to be able to see the fireworks, so we decided to splurge on the club room so that he would be able to watch from the lounge with one of us, while the other was in the room with the youngest (maybe with a drink from the lounge...). Keeping him at MK for the fireworks just doesn't seem like it will work out, and we didn't want to have to split up the family too much anyway if the youngest needed to be back and in bed.

It sounds like lots of folks are disillusioned with the club amenities lately. I guess my question is, given our priorities, am I setting us up for disappointment? Would it make more sense to get a non-club room and just trek down to the beach and hope the weather is warm enough?

Not sure I can switch my reservation at this point, but I guess I'd consider it. Happy to get any advice!
You will probably get value out of it because of the convenience for breakfast, snacks and fireworks. It's fun to do at least once, so I would keep it.

I'm staying at the Polynesian with my wife and 2 kids (who will be 5yo and 1yo) in early Dec (4th-10th). We decided to get a Club Level room, mostly for the convenience for breakfast (usually just fresh fruit and maybe a bagel in our family) and the ability to see the fireworks. Our oldest goes to bed fairly early (in the 730-830 range) but we want him to be able to see the fireworks, so we decided to splurge on the club room so that he would be able to watch from the lounge with one of us, while the other was in the room with the youngest (maybe with a drink from the lounge...). Keeping him at MK for the fireworks just doesn't seem like it will work out, and we didn't want to have to split up the family too much anyway if the youngest needed to be back and in bed.

It sounds like lots of folks are disillusioned with the club amenities lately. I guess my question is, given our priorities, am I setting us up for disappointment? Would it make more sense to get a non-club room and just trek down to the beach and hope the weather is warm enough?

Not sure I can switch my reservation at this point, but I guess I'd consider it. Happy to get any advice!

Although I have complained quite a bit about the changes, I still see some value in the convenience offered for those with young children. My kids are old enough to go and do on their own now but I would continue to stay club for the reasons you mentioned if they were younger. I also think knowing about something going in helps. Many of us here have stayed CL for MANY years and have seen a gradual decline and did not think it could get any worse until recently. I think for what you are looking for and as long as you are not spending more than you are comfortable with it will be "worth it."

And for anyone staying at GF, the fireworks can be enjoyed from the boat dock which has many benches and a beautiful clear and close view of the fireworks display.

Appreciate the input. It's fair to say that any sense of "value" is kind of out the window, as you mentioned, but that's ok, we know what we're getting into. It is also our first trip to disney, so having things simplified and making the trip go smoothly is kind of the priority, which is why we're trying to go at a low crowd time (early Dec seemed to be a fit for that criteria) and want to make sure we make things easy on ourselves.

Oh yeah - If you're going to be there for the Christmas party (and not actually go to the christmas party) having a CL theme park view room is one of the best views for the party fireworks. FYI they'll pipe the music on the beach in front of the rooms but you'll get better sound in the lounge - I'd say keep on your balcony though! :)

We have done WL CL the past 3 years and there are bottles of unopened beer in the little fridge. There were days my DH stayed back in the room due to sleeping little ones and I've brought him back beer. I don't know if anything changed since November though.
That is the thing, they all used to let you serve yourself. We did at AKL in Aug 2014 but not last month. Had to ask for beer and it was always opened for you. Haven't stayed WL again since the switch but I suspect it is just like all the others

And for anyone staying at GF, the fireworks can be enjoyed from the boat dock which has many benches and a beautiful clear and close view of the fireworks display.

yes, and also the marina area, outside Gasparilla Grill- or whatever it's called now :mickeybar

That is the thing, they all used to let you serve yourself. We did at AKL in Aug 2014 but not last month. Had to ask for beer and it was always opened for you. Haven't stayed WL again since the switch but I suspect it is just like all the others

Hum! What's the point? Do they just not want you to bring them back to the room?

Hum! What's the point? Do they just not want you to bring them back to the room?
No idea. They didn't limit how many you could get or even make you feel like they were giving a stink eye. My best guess is underage were getting to them too easily. I'm sure there are a fair number of parents who look the other way when their kids got one. But that is just my guess

No idea. They didn't limit how many you could get or even make you feel like they were giving a stink eye. My best guess is underage were getting to them too easily. I'm sure there are a fair number of parents who look the other way when their kids got one. But that is just my guess

The point is to not let people stock pile beer that they can then take home, I am sure.

Not even so much take them home, that would not really register. However, when the maids have to throw out what is left in the fridge they notice the waste. This is what happened to bottled water for most of CL as well.

FWIW, we have still been able to get unopened beer as recent as February.

Not even so much take them home, that would not really register. However, when the maids have to throw out what is left in the fridge they notice the waste. This is what happened to bottled water for most of CL as well.

FWIW, we have still been able to get unopened beer as recent as February.
At what hotel's CL?

They are probably trying to minimize waste. I cannot imagine how much is thrown out. Also I bet the liability is taken off of them and is on the guest if a CM actually opens or pours the beverage and hands it to the guest, rather than allowing it to be accessed by a guest who may not be of age. IT is my opinion that Disney is proving int reasonable care to ensure their beverages ae not given to minors.

I spoke to the IPO last week as I'm staying at AKL CL for the first time. It bounced to the GF IPO Office and he said they still give out tiny water bottles by request only. Or, you can refill your personal water bottles with their filtered water. Not sure if others still give them out but he said GF still does.

Recent experiences (from April 2015-April 2016) at BC, GF, CR,Poly and WL. Only GF and CR had the Dasani bottles.

Last edited:
Poly club level was great for us when our kids were very young. Super convenient to stop in the lounge for breakfast on the way to the park. Plus they gave us strollers to use free of charge. Not sure if they still do that? Now that our boys are teens, we don't see as much value in it. Especially considering the prices have risen exponentially while the volume of food offered has steadily gone down. One of the big perks used to be that concierge would make all of your restaurant ressies for you but with MDE that's hardly a bonus anymore.

I was able to request bottled water at SL in August. I'm not sure if you are not able to request that any longer.

It's sad that it has come to this. Especially when (for GF Sugar Loaf) you're talking approximately $700+ per night :rolleyes::teacher:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter