Checked out early - Parks too crowded.

You see, I don't agree with much of your post. I've had issues at Disney World. More than once. But I think a lot of people expect the bus service to be like a personal bus, they don't expect to have to wait. There is one poster, I wish I could remember who, how put it this way: They arrived at a bus stop, and looked at their watch. Other people came after them, and one person started to loudly complain after a while about how long they were waiting. When the bus arrived they went on and on about how long it was. The poster said the time the people were claiming to have waited was not true at all! They were greatly exaggerating how long the wait was. Maybe on purpose, but maybe not. Maybe it is some sort of "vacation brain" and wait times seem double what they really are.

As far as the bathrooms go, I think much of it is luck. Did you hit the bathroom right before they were cleaned, or right after? Because I can tell you that as recently as October I was hard pressed to be in a bathroom and not find a CM in it. And because of all of the complaints I was looking! I'll maintain too that that one is on us, the guests. Most of us use a toilet multiple times a day. It shouldn't be hard to do without making a mess. It is disgusting how some behave. There shouldn't be a need for constant cleaning if people didn't behave so badly.

Yep, completely agree. I guess then I'll wear the tag of Mary Poppins or Suzie Sunshine that someone else suggested Disney fans do (though I'm a guy, so just don't ask me to wear the dress). Has every trip to WDW, and every day, been perfect? Of course not. But on the whole, I've never, ever walked out and said "That was terrible" or anything even close. I've always walked out and said "That was awesome!". It's ironic that some are saying that those who defend Disney say that we think Disney can do no wrong....seems lots of people whine and complain about every decision Disney makes, and would say that Disney can do no right. Yet, they still go to the parks. There certainly are things I'd love to see improved or changed, but on the whole, I think they do a fantastic job given how big the crowds are. I've never had major issues with bathroom cleanliness. Frankly, they're 10x better than at any other amusement park I've ever been to. And I completely agree that if they're messy...that's a guest issue.

Lots of conspiracy theorizing here. Just can't buy into it. Sure, they want to make a profit. They're not a charity organization after all. But flat out not care about guests? Sorry, don't buy it.

I too have often been accused of lying when it comes to posting how long it - actually - takes us to get around WDW, but I actually do keep track of the times. I suspect many folks post how long the wait felt to them, or they only time a portion of the whole. I think a big factor is that many people are emotionally attached to the idea that vacation = pure fun time.

They disregard time spent on non-fun morsels, like rest-room lines, or the walk between their hotel room door to the nearest elevator, bus stop, and even the food court.

Over my time here, I've discovered that the distance between MK resort bus pads and the MK metal detectors just doesn't exist for many DISers!

For sure things take longer than I think some people like to pretend. On another thread, a poster was worried about a long bus ride from BWI to MK. Posters assured her, "Oh don't worry, it's only 10 minutes." Yeah, maybe in a perfect world where you hit no lights or traffic. And that 10 minutes doesn't include waiting at the bus stop (especially with the Epcot resorts sharing MK buses), loading time for EVCs, or any jams actually getting into the bus depot. I just think it's crazy to tell someone "Oh, to get from the Boardwalk to MK is only 10 minutes."

One way I try to manage my expectations is by massively over-budgeting how long I think activities/travel will take. Then if I have extra time, I can always fill it somehow. But if I prepare for the minimum, I find I'm never disappointed :)

And no, I've never left or wanted to leave a Disney trip early! I can't even imagine!

But with the old paper FP at DLR, we were having to think about the return times and see if it conflicted with other plans before we pulled the FP. If it did conflict with our plans, then we were hoofing it across the park to see if a different ride matched. Just being able to see what FP were available on MDE or when a particular ride was available was far more efficient for us. Like you said, just a personal preference.

There's no need to walk across the park to see FP availability at DLR anymore. They list the FP return times that are currently being given out in the official DLR app.

I'm on the east coast right now. I just looked, and Buzz is distributing fastpasses for 6:25p-7:25p.
Screenshot_2017-03-23-20-54-24.png

30 minutes is my limit for any ride
That really isn't a realistic standard to hold for visiting the Magic Kingdom over spring break. It's a lovely time to visit, but you must be prepared for crowds and long lines. If you can't stand a 30 minute wait, you should do some rides at rope drop, some during EMH, your FP+ rides, and spend the rest of your time enjoying your resort.

Last edited:

That really isn't a realistic standard to hold for visiting the Magic Kingdom over spring break. It's a lovely time to visit, but you must be prepared for crowds and long lines. If you can't stand a 30-minute wait, you should do some rides at rope drop, some during EMH, your FP+ rides, and spend the rest of your time enjoying your resort.

Funny that so many guests consider this the limit. Granted I won't wait in longer lines either - but that's primarily because when you're in the know, you can utilize so many things to make sure you see everything without waiting in lines longer than that. However, when everyone here goes to our local parks like Cedar Point, it's a pretty common thing to wait in 2-3 hour lines for the big rides. I know I've been in my fair share of those lines. It's just how it is unless you are willing to pay more than your ticket price for express passes (which very few people do). I always consider it a little funny that I would NEVER wait in similar lines for a much, much better ride (in my completely subjective opinion) at WDW, the biggest tourist destination in the world.

Yes both, AKL multiple times. We found the bus service fine. No different than every other resort on avg. We've stayed in them all, except for the 2 dedicated DVC properties. They all have a few that take longer than 20 but not many. The transportation method I have issues with is Monorail. That thing and me do not get along at all

In our experience we've had the worst luck with AKL also. So bad in fact it caused me to rent a car the next time we stayed - sometimes we did see the bus just pull away as we were walking over but other times we just waited and waited and waited some more for one to come. I don't get antsy at all until its been longer than 20 minutes and we did start timing them as the week wore on. Meanwhile we watched other mostly empty busses for other resorts come multiple times. Again, Im sure it was just our bad luck, but it did happen. Next time we stay there I will again rent a car.

Funny that so many guests consider this the limit. Granted I won't wait in longer lines either - but that's primarily because when you're in the know, you can utilize so many things to make sure you see everything without waiting in lines longer than that. However, when everyone here goes to our local parks like Cedar Point, it's a pretty common thing to wait in 2-3 hour lines for the big rides. I know I've been in my fair share of those lines. It's just how it is unless you are willing to pay more than your ticket price for express passes (which very few people do). I always consider it a little funny that I would NEVER wait in similar lines for a much, much better ride (in my completely subjective opinion) at WDW, the biggest tourist destination in the world.

For us the limit is due to my husband's comfort. He'll do 30 min no problem and 45 is OK if its something he REALLY wants to go on, but much more and his feet start to hurt. Once that kicks in its a done deal, we have to go back so he can rest. I've tried pushing him (as in, stop to get a drink and rest a few min then try another ride), tried pain meds etc but no good. I've changed my touring drastically except the one trip he was in a scooter. I was back to 25K steps or so a day in Disneyland that trip. :D I've tried to get him to rent one again but he IS able bodied.. just a little whiny. :ssst:

We just returned home on Monday from our spring break trip. It was crowded. Our first night (14th) we went to AK for ROL. It was packed. Seriously wall to wall people. I have never ever seen that many people at AK in all of our trips. We had fp for Safari and the fp line was 900 miles long. We waited a VERY long time for the bus back to POR in the freezing cold. NOT ideal.

I have to agree that whether or not you enjoy a trip during a crowded time period is all about expectations. No matter what any crowd calendar told me, I knew most of Texas and many other states were on spring break that week and that it would be super crazy crowded. Despite my expectations, AK was WAY beyond what I had expected simply because I'm not used to it being crazy like that. All the other parks were crazy crowded. Wall to wall people. However, we had fpp, we had plans, we hit rd, etc. Our trip was fantastic and not really hindered by the crowds. Would I have preferred no crowds? Absolutely! But, this is when we can travel so we made due and had a great time. We did alter our plans and skip evening entertainment at DHS because we just didn't want to deal with the bus situation afterwards. At MK we watched wishes then stayed til close so that crowds would be gone and we wouldn't have to deal with the insanity of busses after fireworks.

The only other time when I was REALLY over all the people was in the world showcase. Seriously. Again I just could never remember seeing that many people there in the early afternoon hours.

At no point during our trip did I think we might need to cancel our trip and go home!

The only other time when I was REALLY over all the people was in the world showcase. Seriously. Again I just could never remember seeing that many people there in the early afternoon hours.

At no point during our trip did I think we might need to cancel our trip and go home!

We were in the world showcase that day/evening as well! It was hugely packed....I will say the Mexico Margs, The United Kingdom Cider & Black & the slushie thing from France made the people much more tolerable! :flower1:

I used to say 30 minutes was my limit. And then I went with my nephew a few times. And he is not one to shop, nor to people watch. So we wait in lines that have even gotten up to 1 hour. And you know what? It wasn't awful. I was with someone who I love to pieces, and I am just happy he likes hanging out with his old aunt still. The time goes way too fast, if I'm getting quality time hanging out in an hour long line, then I will take it!!

Yep, completely agree. I guess then I'll wear the tag of Mary Poppins or Suzie Sunshine that someone else suggested Disney fans do (though I'm a guy, so just don't ask me to wear the dress). Has every trip to WDW, and every day, been perfect? Of course not. But on the whole, I've never, ever walked out and said "That was terrible" or anything even close. I've always walked out and said "That was awesome!". It's ironic that some are saying that those who defend Disney say that we think Disney can do no wrong....seems lots of people whine and complain about every decision Disney makes, and would say that Disney can do no right. Yet, they still go to the parks. There certainly are things I'd love to see improved or changed, but on the whole, I think they do a fantastic job given how big the crowds are. I've never had major issues with bathroom cleanliness. Frankly, they're 10x better than at any other amusement park I've ever been to. And I completely agree that if they're messy...that's a guest issue.

Lots of conspiracy theorizing here. Just can't buy into it. Sure, they want to make a profit. They're not a charity organization after all. But flat out not care about guests? Sorry, don't buy it.

Us boys...

I could not agree with you more about literally everything you said.

In the 22 pages I'm sure this has already been said. Instead of checking out a day early why not just enjoy the hotel your last day? The bay lake tower pool was never that busy when we stayed June 2013.

In the 22 pages I'm sure this has already been said. Instead of checking out a day early why not just enjoy the hotel your last day? The bay lake tower pool was never that busy when we stayed June 2013.
Or maybe do a craft at your resort? LOL, you did miss a few things.:duck:

LOL Yes, it was 37 degrees that week, so the pool was out! But otherwise I agree with the pool suggestion. We were there, and it was COLD!!

Thank you so much for your post!!! I really appreciate all your suggestions and I will look for ythe lines app and at easywdw. I'm not actually sure what a touring plan is and if it adjusts to crowd levels though. Is it something on an app or just something you make up? Thanks again.

Sorry, I should have better explained that Touring Plans is the website companion to the book the Unofficial Guide and the Lines app that I mentioned. They do have touring plans and really great strategies. The Unofficial Guide to WDW really is the basis to our touring strategies. We don't use a specific touring plan from the book or website but I've studied many of them and used them to inform our planning and decision making throughout the day.

One thing that I think is important is balance. Many of these plans are great because they can really help you save time waiting in line, but we find it difficult to go hard core commando the entire time. We usually all go as extended family and have ages 6-70, so we plan to do some commando touring combined with slower paced parts of the day. I love Rope Drop and hitting it hard and then slowing down and going at a more relaxed pace. Some in our family prefer slower mornings and then going commando for late night Extra Magic Hours.

Happy planning! Hope you have a great trip!!!

LOL Yes, it was 37 degrees that week, so the pool was out! But otherwise I agree with the pool suggestion. We were there, and it was COLD!!

Not saying that you should have dove in, but I have seen people use the pool when it was very cold. One December I had to wear my winter coat to the parks, and yet kids were swimming. I guess the swimming part is fine, but the getting out would be awful!!!

Not saying that you should have dove in, but I have seen people use the pool when it was very cold. One December I had to wear my winter coat to the parks, and yet kids were swimming. I guess the swimming part is fine, but the getting out would be awful!!!

My daughter swam on our December 2010 trip. Water was toasty. You could see the steam rising. It's the walk (run ;)) back to the room that will get you though.

I'm a fan of the no show fee. It has made getting ADRs easier. No money is being squeezed from you unless you don't show up or call and cancel.

I've never paid a no-show fee, nor did I abuse the old system.

I also longer make ADR's for 12 people.

Nor do I book week long vacations for my extended 12 person family.

I'm sure someone is enjoying the vacancies created by our departure.

I have only made a few WDW ADR's since they added the no-show fee.

Universal's been getting our $ instead. We enjoy the simple pleasure of hassle-free dining. It is nice to be free of the 180 day crazy. While some places get a wait, and some places take reservations, they are actual reservations. If you elect to put your name on the waiting list for the awesome chocolate emporium, you can actually go on rides while you wait to be texted.

It is just SO much more civilized than punishing customers.

It is just SO much more civilized than punishing customers.

It is too bad so many customers were not showing up, or making multiple ADRs that Disney felt they had to do something too. I remember struggling to get ADRs only to show up and find all sorts of tables empty. It isn't asking too much of people to call if they are not going to show up. If someone can't even be that considerate then I don't feel bad for them being charged a small fee.

I can't even fathom it being bad enough to make me cut short my vacation---or change my plans. We were there at Christmas once with closures to capacity and the thought never crossed my mind. Right now I'm even debating whether or not to change some plans around and go to AK on what will probably be an insanely crowded day (May 27).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter