• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Checked out early - Parks too crowded.

Um, add more dining options. For a start, they could staff Tortuga Tavern, the Diamond Horseshoe, and the Tomorrowland Terrace on a regular basis. This topic (lack of capacity) has been a round since the advent of the DDP. As I recall, folks back then said what you are saying now, that it would be impossible for WDW to add more dining options in MK. Yet somehow they found space for BOG, the Skipper Canteen, and Gaston's, while regularly keeping Tortuga Tavern, Diamond Horseshoe, and T Terrace closed.

These places ARE usually open at peak times, the bean-counters have determined that's all they need to be open for. Similar to places in Epcot that are only open for Food and Wine festival. It's a balance with seasonal openings. You don't want to pay for staff when times are slow, but when capacity rises they are a necessary expense.

These places ARE usually open at peak times, the bean-counters have determined that's all they need to be open for. Similar to places in Epcot that are only open for Food and Wine festival. It's a balance with seasonal openings. You don't want to pay for staff when times are slow, but when capacity rises they are a necessary expense.
ER, I said those eateries in MK were open seasonally.

I was responding specifically to someone who said:
Do you really believe that WDW intentionally tried to find a way to make eating a "hassle" for their guests/customers? ... I also think [the hassle/the problem is] 100% guest/customer created...Let's just say they have no reservation system, it's first come/first serve. Oh goodness, imagine...the complaints that would follow! .... What would you suggest as a perfect answer that would allow guests/customers to eat where they want, when they want?

Er, the Food and Wine Festival food booths weren't started to MEET existing demand, they were ADDED to CREATE demand during a SLOW season.

They are actually a great way to support the point I've been trying to make. The big misconception I see time and again on the DIS, is that many DISers often seem to inflate any empty seat in a Disney restaurant to WDW going out of business.

The topic of this thread is that WDW was so congested that the original poster was stressed to the point of going home early.

IMO, WDW's stressful dining situation is part of the problem. Increasing capacity, IMO, is the obvious solution. I'm old enough to remember when the Diamond Horseshoe was a fun place to eat!

Last edited:
Er, the Food and Wine Festival food booths weren't started to MEET existing demand, they were ADDED to CREATE demand during a SLOW season.

I wasn't referring to the kiosks, I was referring to places like the Wonders of Life pavilion. Disney needs to keep that closed for 11 months just because they need that space for the F&W festival.

Just because it was too crowded for the OP doesn't mean it was overcrowded. It means it was a busy time, which is a given in March.

I hear you, and I get what you're saying. However, I'm not going to criticize them for trying to attract more guests. That's just good business.

My point is that increasing capacity is a fine suggestion, and probably a correct one to some degree. But where does it stop? It seems to me that people expect to be able to walk into whatever restaurant they want, whenever they want and have the host/hostess walk them right to their table. My point is that to accomplish that goal is just not realistic or sustainable. That's why football stadiums have lines at half time. That's why you can't get a table at TGI Fridays' on a Saturday night without a long wait. Sure, increase capacity and variety, sounds great. But I don't see how they can increase it to the point some people think they should. Reservations will always be required, there will always be a wait.

It's also somewhat driven by what restaurants people chose to eat in. We rarely eat in WDW restaurants...maybe once or twice in a 15 day trip, but we're well aware how hard it is to get a reservation at BOG. At the same time, we typically do one date night where DW and I will pick a restaurant in the World Showcase and have a nice meal alone. We've done Seven Dragons (several times), France (don't recall the name of the place), and last summer went to one of the ones in Morocco (again, forget the name). We made reservations because we thought we had to...we made them maybe 3 days ahead of time. We walked in to a 1/3 to 2/3 empty restaurant, each and every time. So certainly some restaurants are just more popular than others. Not quite sure how they can solve that problem. I would think they wouldn't want to expand places like BOG too much, because then it'll be so big it'll start to resemble an army mess hall. Hey...maybe I'm onto an idea....in HS, create a mess hall looking restaurant that has a massive capacity. Have the green Toy Story army men working there. :D

I hear you, though I live for vacation so I'd be hard pressed to leave altogether.

That said, we are huge Disney fans. But we are scaling back and funneling our money more locally this year to Dollywood, an area that needs it due to the recent fires. Plus we absolutely love the park. But some of it is we are a little weary of the work that goes into a disney trip. Sure there are those that will jump to disagree but the fact is the prices are astronomical, attractions keep closing and the planning is exhausting. Yes they are adding attractions but they are generally replacing others that have closed. The hotels are fine but for the cost are getting tough to swallow.

So yes, we are keeping our annual Disney trip but have cut it down to 3 days. Instead we purchased Dollywood annual passes and will be going a few times this year to the onsite Resort there (Dreammore).

Fair enough, I used to think that too. Truth be told, we mostly do split vacations of a sort. We might visit WDW and US, we might spend a few days in another city. But we've also now done some trips where we easily spend 4 days on Universal property.

I kind of chuckle when folks say, "Oh just spend the day at your WDW hotel if the parks are too crowded."

The STARTING rate for a room at the Contemporary, with the current discount offer this upcoming summer is $520 per night!

Why would I pay that much just to go swimming in a pool, when Universal deluxe rack rates are $302, and high-end Marriott rack rates are $190-ish? The Universal hotels all have fabulous pools, plus I get Express pass. The high end Marriott properties all offer super pools, like water slides and lazy rivers.

Both options ALSO offer better quality dining, for less money, and less hassle than the Disney hotels.

(Take your pick: JW Marriott $185/night +tax, Lakeshore Reserve $191+tax, Grande Vista $152+tax, the World Center Marriott $146+tax)

Disney charges $500 per night on the promise of (easy) access to the parks. That's what makes them special.

The pools at CR aren't much to get excited about. The Wave isn't anything to get too excited about either.

In my opinion the coolest hotel in Orlando is Cabana Bay at Universal,theres multiple pool areas,waterslide,lazy river,pool bars in an awesome retro feel hotel,and its Universals value hotel!!Their other hotels are also great but I really like Cabana Bay and its probably the cheapest compared to the other hotels you mentioned.

Currently in arms and yeah, the spring break crowds are a bit more/ rougher than I expected but more so because being in crowds is exhausting. Not because we can't do anything. Had a perfectly nice day taking it slow and enjoying the theming in between fast passes (you can now book your 4th, 5th, etc. fast pass in the app!). Used the live times tracker from touring plans, had a reservation for a sit down dinner to rest, and it was all good.
Crowds can be tiring, yes, it either just a little bit of planning (I only booked this trip not even two months ago- way past ideal fastpass time!)/ right apps- totally fine! We never waited more than 15 min for anything!

Disney is missing revenue due to the long lines... some people won't come because they have heard about lines, others (like the OP) are leaving a park due to lines (and therefore not spending money in the park), and most importantly people who are waiting in lines are not buying trinkets or food! A "virtual line" using a phone app or similar could help, but adding capacity is the real answer.

What would be the motivation for people to lie about that though? Seriously asking :)

it's not so much that they are "lying" ... it's all about perception. I am a server. when people say they had to wait an hour for their food, or haven't seen their server in 20 minutes, I highly doubt it. not saying they are purposely "lying" ... when I go into the kitchen and ask the cooks how long for my order for table 17, if they say 4-6 minutes.... that is a LONG time in the life of a server. I can do SO much in that time.. go grab drinks for table 15, bring salads to table 16, and still run back into the kitchen about the right time. but if that table sees me, and I'm not doing something for them... "we waited FOREVER!!!!!"

In my opinion the coolest hotel in Orlando is Cabana Bay at Universal,theres multiple pool areas,waterslide,lazy river,pool bars in an awesome retro feel hotel,and its Universals value hotel!!Their other hotels are also great but I really like Cabana Bay and its probably the cheapest compared to the other hotels you mentioned.

This is awesome to hear. We are staying there for 2 nights this year and I have a feeling we won't want to leave! I read nothing but great things about it.

Disney is missing revenue due to the long lines... some people won't come because they have heard about lines, others (like the OP) are leaving a park due to lines (and therefore not spending money in the park), and most importantly people who are waiting in lines are not buying trinkets or food! A "virtual line" using a phone app or similar could help, but adding capacity is the real answer.

Or they are leaving the long attraction lines and shopping in the parks.

Btw, they have, and are still, adding capacity. Rides to go up overnight.

I'm old enough to remember when the Diamond Horseshoe was a fun place to eat!

I don't recall if it was this one, or the Golden Horseshoe in DLR, or maybe both. But I too remember having to head there first thing, like it was Jedi Training Academy or something, and you had to sign up for one of that evening's dinner shows. And they were totally a blast. Then suddenly, we didn't go much when I was in my 20's. When we had kids and started taking them some 15 years later, it was gone. So sad. I can't even go in now because the memories of what it once was compared to whatever it is now just make me blue. Wish they'd bring back that awesome experience!!

it's not so much that they are "lying" ... it's all about perception. I am a server. when people say they had to wait an hour for their food, or haven't seen their server in 20 minutes, I highly doubt it. not saying they are purposely "lying" ... when I go into the kitchen and ask the cooks how long for my order for table 17, if they say 4-6 minutes.... that is a LONG time in the life of a server. I can do SO much in that time.. go grab drinks for table 15, bring salads to table 16, and still run back into the kitchen about the right time. but if that table sees me, and I'm not doing something for them... "we waited FOREVER!!!!!"
I've been a server too. I've actually held an assortment of jobs working with the public.

I also value facts. If you EVER read a post from me that says I waited 20minutes, then I actually timed it!

When it comes to perception, and WDW, I'd actually say most people do the opposite of what you posted. They get in vacation mode and disregard how much time it actually takes to get things done at WDW.

(The other big mistake I see on the DIS, is that many people assume that everyone experiences the same thing at WDW. If I mention a red shirt I saw, you think about the red shirt you saw. In reality, we are not talking about the same shirt. (shirt, rude person, crazy person, etc.)

Most rides are actually just a few minutes long, yet somehow a theme park with only 17 attractions distracts/entertains the average family for an entire day! How is that possible?!?!?!

The math of that has been a point of fascination for years in my family!

Yes, we have absolutely waited 20mintues for a WDW server to return to our table! But I'm not saying it was you, if that helps.

Because this thread has turned into a TP Community thread with Universal and DLR info, moving to TP Comm where you'll stil receive Alerts whenever posts are added. :)

I've been a server too. I've actually held an assortment of jobs working with the public

Yes, we have absolutely waited 20mintues for a WDW server to return to our table! But I'm not saying it was you, if that helps.
couldn't have been! I don'[t work at WDW!!! ;)

Where are these $300 per night deluxe Universal rooms? I'd certainly like to stay in one. The starting rates for Hard Rock Hotel and Portofino are $450 per night before tax. Royal Pacific rooms start at $370.

A better comparison would be a room at Contemporary and a room at Hard Rock.

Disney also offers more room discounts for the general public than Universal. Unless you're a Florida resident you're more than likely going to pay rack rate for a deluxe room at Universal. I just found a discounted Contemporary room for my stay in July that was $346 per night.

I've been able to find other Disney deluxe resorts that are less than $250 per night for the same week in July.

And let's not get started on Universal's resort fees.

There isn't a restaurant on Universal property that is better than any restaurant at Disney and I've stayed in different categories: from a Family suite at Cabana Bay to a Hospitality suite at Portofino Bay. Even Disney's food courts are better.

Personally I love having a resort day. It doesn't matter if you're staying in a value or a bungalow, I think you should take one day out of your trip to explore the hotel you paid for. If the room is too expensive for you to enjoy because all you're thinking about is the money, find a cheaper one that won't make you bitter about the price.

Disney World will never be cheap and uncrowded again. Prices will always make your eyebrow raise, the crowds will always be there and you'll always have to plan. You just have to decide if it's worth it in the end.

They need to put more monorails for MK bc the lines are getting out of control.. maybe in xmas sure but now it's almost a daily thing

They need to put more monorails for MK bc the lines are getting out of control.. maybe in xmas sure but now it's almost a daily thing
At a rate of about $1M/10 feet, there will not be more monorails built. Disney would be far better off putting in a high speed rail system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter