• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Checked out early - Parks too crowded.

True, but there's a couple of factors that play into for us. I'll list them.

1. Paper fastpasses. I like both systems, but with FP+, the consensus seems to be that it increases standby waits.
2. Ride density. Give me an hour at RD, and I'm fairly certain I can get more rides done at DLR.
3. Vicinity to hotel. DLR hotels are WAY closer. If I need a break, forget something, and getting there in the morning and returning at night is a 15 minute walk from almost anywhere in the parks, and from many points even less.
4. Vicinity to everything else. Food is closer and cheaper. The second park is across the walkway. Grocery stores, etc. Its all across the street.
5. Nostalgia. Has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but just wanted to mention it. ;-)

We still love WDW because it offers something different. Total immersion, bigger better resorts, tons of "other" activities, etc. But if crowds are your enemy, and rides are your best friend, DLR is a great alternative in my opinion.

I mostly concur with that, but have not been to DLR during a peak season. (We have made DLR our home resort for years now, but have not been during peak crowds.) I do think the compact size works against you in the crowd department though. The last day of one of our recent trips turned out to be the last weekend day most of the APs were not blacked out before Christmas. And oh my heavens. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Absolutely agree on FP, with the caveat that we just don't know how it will be when MaxPass (their electronic version of FP) rolls out in coming months.

I mostly concur with that, but have not been to DLR during a peak season. (We have made DLR our home resort for years now, but have not been during peak crowds.) I do think the compact size works against you in the crowd department though. The last day of one of our recent trips turned out to be the last weekend day most of the APs were not blacked out before Christmas. And oh my heavens. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Absolutely agree on FP, with the caveat that we just don't know how it will be when MaxPass (their electronic version of FP) rolls out in coming months.

Yeah, I'm sure they both get nutso at times. One of the most common answers to crowds at WDW seems to be - go back to the resort and swim. At DLR, that sure is a lot easier. And really, between the two its a personal preference. We've been to both many times, and love them both. But, I probably lean to DLR, even though I've been to WDW more often. ;-)

I think the difference is that Disney knows that Christmas is the busiest time of year and usually they pull out all the stops. They run everything at full capacity and are fully staffed. From what I've heard, they were either ill prepared for the crowds last week or have decided they don't care. Since MM+ gives them access to an unprecedented amount of data, there is no reason for them to be unprepared for crowds.
Absolutely!

Don't plan to read 19 pages of comments. I did skim over a couple and saw the usual ridiculous bickering.

Every day last week saw 9 and 10 level crowds. I completely believe that people waited 45 minutes on a bus, even more than once.
That is exactly why I posted on this thread....to give a "I was actually there last week" account.

DLR is awesome and I have to have 5-7 day hopper. My DH has already started planning his Bday in 2019 in DLR if all works out. He said we always go for Christmas time (my bday is Nov 30th) easy to sneak in celebration first week dec.) So He wants to see Hunted Mansion without the Christmas layover.

DLR doesn't offer more than a 5 day park hopper. Next step up is to add a separate ticket or AP.

I think that's a bit of a stretch...OK, a lot of a stretch to say "it gets so bad you cannot walk". I've been in the parks on literally the busiest days of the year, and never had a situation where I simply couldn't walk anywhere. I suppose if you're going to count standing in the areas designated for watching fireworks and such, then yeah, it's very tough to walk through there. But the same is true for any gathering spot like that. WDW does quite a good job with keeping walkways open, even during the most hectic of days. Have you seen how many CMs they have just to direct traffic on a very busy night? I think it's a far overstatement to say you cannot walk. Simply not the case.

Yep, if there were a massive fire, there would be a stampede. This is also true at football games, concerts, etc...anywhere where a massive crowd gathers. I'm also willing to bet that WDW has a capacity limit that is dictated to them by fire code or other regulation. I don't think it's a random thing how many people they let in.

You could make an argument that they could do some kind of "warning" to folks that it might be a crowded day. If I were WDW, I wouldn't do it, but I can understand why you may want them to.

You want them to close the park to incoming guests before the park actually reaches capacity? Or lower the capacity? OK...how about you be the first person to be turned away, after you spent all that money to come down, get a hotel, buy park tickets, etc... Somehow I'd guess your tune will change.

I find this stuff interesting to read, but I still just have a hard time wrapping my head around all the complaining about how crowded it is. You want wide open space vacation? Go to Montana or go hiking in the Denver area or the Grand Canyon. At WDW, you're going to a place that draws tens of millions of people per year into a finite (though very large for a theme park) space, you have to have certain expectations.

Yes lower the capacity before it gets so miserable and people can actually get some value for their money! If I was turned away I would consider another park and a warning before you've paid for parking would a heads up to go somewhere else. Yes, I am not stupid,I know there is a fire code for capacity but why wait until it is forced and everyone is miserable to close the gate? I not talking about a huge lesser number, Disney knows the capacity for an enjoyable time and full capacity but they don't care. As I said Busch Gardens VA closes the gates before it is a 1/2 hr wait for the bathroom and they have said in the past they rather lose some revenue for that day and have a few unhappy guests than have a park full of pissed off guests. As for being too crowded to walk, I was stuck in a massive sea of people at the hub last spring when they still had the walls up and between the wall to wall people all trying to go in different directions, the stollers being used as badering rams and the EMV being use to plow thru I was literally stuck in one place for about five minutes (seemed much long)! It was so crowded no one could move everyone was at a standstill and not a CM in sight, it took me almost fifteen minutes to get accross the hub. I do asure you I am not embellishing,( I try to never lie and rarely embellish because to me it is the same thing) I almost had my first panic attack when this happened! Perhaps I just ran into a perfect storm that night but it scared me!
As for wanting wide open spaces, no I do not expect the park to myself nor do I want everyone else to stay home but I do expect to get my money's worth and that cannot happen with these types of crowds that they allow to build up. I do not go during any holiday time, I go during the week and never on weekends. This is not my first ride at the rodeo, but now for me it has begun to be a parti time job just planning a trip to WDW and too has taken a lot of the pixie dust out of my enjoyment of going. If so many people are "complaining about the crowds" that should tell you and Disney something needs to be adjusted. I only offered a few ideas that I said at the time Disney will not do, so shoot me. BTW I think not allowing people to camp out a save spots along Main Street is a great start for clearing up the congestion that happens there and near the hub but they will have to be consistent about it for it to work. Another way would be bring back non expiring tickets! So if you buy a 5 or 6 day ticket and the parks are horrible you are not forced to chose between keep going to the parks when it is miserable or just throwing away all the money for the tickets which most people are not going to do, I think that this could adding to the crowds on top of crowds. To me it is a win win for Disney because people are not forced to go when they really do not want to go and they may spend money elsewhere doing something else in the resort area plus Disney will practically have a garuntee of the guests returning in the future which could mean more hotel stays!

Well this thread confirms that driving to WDW this year is the best idea. I figured it would make us happier to have our own vehicle. Staying at BC, so at least we can walk to 2 of 4 parks.

Yes lower the capacity before it gets so miserable and people can actually get some value for their money! If I was turned away I would consider another park and a warning before you've paid for parking would a heads up to go somewhere else. Yes, I am not stupid,I know there is a fire code for capacity but why wait until it is forced and everyone is miserable to close the gate? I not talking about a huge lesser number, Disney knows the capacity for an enjoyable time and full capacity but they don't care. As I said Busch Gardens VA closes the gates before it is a 1/2 hr wait for the bathroom and they have said in the past they rather lose some revenue for that day and have a few unhappy guests than have a park full of pissed off guests. As for being too crowded to walk, I was stuck in a massive sea of people at the hub last spring when they still had the walls up and between the wall to wall people all trying to go in different directions, the stollers being used as badering rams and the EMV being use to plow thru I was literally stuck in one place for about five minutes (seemed much long)! It was so crowded no one could move everyone was at a standstill and not a CM in sight, it took me almost fifteen minutes to get accross the hub. I do asure you I am not embellishing,( I try to never lie and rarely embellish because to me it is the same thing) I almost had my first panic attack when this happened! Perhaps I just ran into a perfect storm that night but it scared me!
As for wanting wide open spaces, no I do not expect the park to myself nor do I want everyone else to stay home but I do expect to get my money's worth and that cannot happen with these types of crowds that they allow to build up. I do not go during any holiday time, I go during the week and never on weekends. This is not my first ride at the rodeo, but now for me it has begun to be a parti time job just planning a trip to WDW and too has taken a lot of the pixie dust out of my enjoyment of going. If so many people are "complaining about the crowds" that should tell you and Disney something needs to be adjusted. I only offered a few ideas that I said at the time Disney will not do, so shoot me. BTW I think not allowing people to camp out a save spots along Main Street is a great start for clearing up the congestion that happens there and near the hub but they will have to be consistent about it for it to work. Another way would be bring back non expiring tickets! So if you buy a 5 or 6 day ticket and the parks are horrible you are not forced to chose between keep going to the parks when it is miserable or just throwing away all the money for the tickets which most people are not going to do, I think that this could adding to the crowds on top of crowds. To me it is a win win for Disney because people are not forced to go when they really do not want to go and they may spend money elsewhere doing something else in the resort area plus Disney will practically have a garuntee of the guests returning in the future which could mean more hotel stays!

This is an issue with no easy answer, and no perfect answer because every solution has pros and cons. It's hard to draw apples to apples comparisons between what Busch Gardens VA does and what WDW does. It's been many years since I was at Busch VA, but I am a passholder at Six Flags. It's a very different market. The overwhelming majority of Busch or Six Flags visitors aren't flying in from all over the country and globe for a 7 day trip. They're typically day trippers, or maybe weekend. WDW has their share of those too, but a very large number plan entire family vacations around WDW. So to have a family make those kinds of plans, spend that kind of money only to be told they can't come into the park because they want to limit capacity to less than what is legally allowed simply would not go over well. The busiest times of years are the holidays, so those would be the days they'd have to do a closing. I can't even imagine the backlash of families saying they planned their entire magical Xmas at WDW and Mickey Mouse took his big finger and pointed them away from the park. :D Or, the other side effect that would happen is this....guests now know the park only lets xx,xxx number of people in, first come first serve. Now you will have people camping outside the gates at 3am, literally. That will create its' own backlash. I understand the concept behind wanting to close the park to guests at below full capacity (and trust me, at times I've sort of wished for it), but in reality I don't think it's a solid plan for them.

Similar idea to keeping people from camping in the hub. Believe me, I don't disagree one bit in theory. But you know what will happen...wherever the closest place WDW will then allow people to wait for the hub to open will get mobbed with people camping there. Guaranteed. Unless WDW simply outlawed people stopping anywhere, the crowd will gather. There's just not a simple solution to that which won't have consequences.

Everyone has their own individual experiences in the crowds. Not saying yours didn't happen. I've certainly had times where we were in a sea of people. At that point, there's a lot of "excuse me", "coming through", "behind you", but we are able to keep moving...and get to an aisle designated by WDW for walking only. I think they do a great job with that part...they tape it out, put up rope barriers and line them with CMs.

To me, there has to be a bit of common sense on the part of the guest. As I've said many times, you're going to the busiest tourist place in the country. You have to expect that you're going to run into crowd issues, especially on a major holiday. People on this board complain about the crowds, but like I said, we're a very tiny fraction of 1% of all guests. I do believe that they get complaints from guests who aren't on this board, I've seen it happen at guest services. Though I will say that when I've seen it, I typically shake my head at the guest because their expectations were unrealistic. However, if people keep flocking in increasing numbers year over year, don't see them making a ton of changes to limit guests...whether we like it or not.

True, but there's a couple of factors that play into for us. I'll list them.

1. Paper fastpasses. I like both systems, but with FP+, the consensus seems to be that it increases standby waits.
2. Ride density. Give me an hour at RD, and I'm fairly certain I can get more rides done at DLR.
3. Vicinity to hotel. DLR hotels are WAY closer. If I need a break, forget something, and getting there in the morning and returning at night is a 15 minute walk from almost anywhere in the parks, and from many points even less.
4. Vicinity to everything else. Food is closer and cheaper. The second park is across the walkway. Grocery stores, etc. Its all across the street.
5. Nostalgia. Has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but just wanted to mention it. ;-)

We still love WDW because it offers something different. Total immersion, bigger better resorts, tons of "other" activities, etc. But if crowds are your enemy, and rides are your best friend, DLR is a great alternative in my opinion.

Unfortunately, DLR is working to make the experience more and more like WDW and not in a good way. While FP+ has benefits, it makes standby intolerable. Case in point, expedition everest the morning of 3/11. Standby has a posted wait of 50 minutes, so we hop in line. 1.5 hours later, we are still not even in the final building; line is literally moving 2 feet per minute. Why? FP+. We can see the FP+ line is backed up, and that that line keeps moving while standby gets maybe two people per 50, at best. So almost two hours after we get into the "50 minute" standby line, we get on the ride. This begs the question, why does FP+ get ALL the priority? They aren't a VIP tour group. Currently, DLR does a much fair job of allocating ride space between standby and FP+, but you can bet once Maxpass is implemented that will change....and what's more, you'll be paying extra for the privilege of longer standby lines!

If WDW won't close the gates at a manageable, safe crowd level, and if crowd levels are just huge or massive (no more "slow" times ), the only solution I can think of is expansion of the offerings to accommodate more folks. I realize that's in progress at DHS and AK but the pace is so slow. Laying off entertainers does not help this effort. But you can't cram more and more people into the same space without creating chaos.

Unfortunately, DLR is working to make the experience more and more like WDW and not in a good way. While FP+ has benefits, it makes standby intolerable. Case in point, expedition everest the morning of 3/11. Standby has a posted wait of 50 minutes, so we hop in line. 1.5 hours later, we are still not even in the final building; line is literally moving 2 feet per minute. Why? FP+. We can see the FP+ line is backed up, and that that line keeps moving while standby gets maybe two people per 50, at best. So almost two hours after we get into the "50 minute" standby line, we get on the ride. This begs the question, why does FP+ get ALL the priority? They aren't a VIP tour group. Currently, DLR does a much fair job of allocating ride space between standby and FP+, but you can bet once Maxpass is implemented that will change....and what's more, you'll be paying extra for the privilege of longer standby lines!
That's one we absolutely loved about visiting DLR last year....OLD FASTPASS!

For the first time ever I would go home if I could get a flight out. I developed pneumonia and can't go out at all. Its miserable.

The one thing I regularly hear here that I disagree with is that there aren't any more "slow times". I guess this is all in the eye of the beholder, but if we're speaking relatively? There's definitely slow times. Definitely times when you can get on Pirates, Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion with a 10-15 minute wait at any point in the day. When Big Thunder doesn't get above a 30 minute wait all day. When you can sneak up to Space in the middle of the day and luck out with a 20 minute wait. When you can walk on 7DMT with no wait at 8:00 at night. And when all of the normal walk ons, like Small World, People Mover, Spinners, etc. are actually walk ons. Doesn't mean there's nobody there, because I remember "those" days too, when the place was a ghost town. But relatively, there are definitely times of the year when crowds are basically a non-issue. Especially if you plan at all.

I guess this is a case of personal expectations. We were there last week and we didn't think the parks were crazy. Yes is was far busier than our normal Oct visits, but it wasn't close to a previous Thanksgiving trip. We have not been there for July 4 or Christmas/New Years.

We stayed at BLT and didn't have to take many bus rides. We were with two families who were there for their first trip so we didn't hop like we normally do. The longest wait we experienced was 30 min for a bus from BC to Disney Springs and I attribute that to the crazy traffic. We had no problems with the monorail except when they had to take the one we riding back to the barn.

Some rides did have long standby waits (Space was over 200 min - we had FP+) but we even rode Frozen waiting 90 min in the standby line, which was posted at 120 min. The only thing we didn't ride was RnR and I give them a pass knowing how few rides are currently at DHS. I too miss the good old days when the parks were less crowed. But I think we are a bit jaded and have to accept the new norm. The two families we were with did not complain about the crowds and loved their trip.

Here is a pic of the kids in front of the castle on Wednesday at 1:40. I wouldn't expect that we could have gotten this pic if the park was at a 10. Now don't get me started on the photo bomber on the right!!! Why do people think that it is funny? Why?

Kids Small.jpg

I guess this is a case of personal expectations. We were there last week and we didn't think the parks were crazy. Yes is was far busier than our normal Oct visits, but it wasn't close to a previous Thanksgiving trip. We have not been there for July 4 or Christmas/New Years.

We stayed at BLT and didn't have to take many bus rides. We were with two families who were there for their first trip so we didn't hop like we normally do. The longest wait we experienced was 30 min for a bus from BC to Disney Springs and I attribute that to the crazy traffic. We had no problems with the monorail except when they had to take the one we riding back to the barn.

Some rides did have long standby waits (Space was over 200 min - we had FP+) but we even rode Frozen waiting 90 min in the standby line, which was posted at 120 min. The only thing we didn't ride was RnR and I give them a pass knowing how few rides are currently at DHS. I too miss the good old days when the parks were less crowed. But I think we are a bit jaded and have to accept the new norm. The two families we were with did not complain about the crowds and loved their trip.

Here is a pic of the kids in front of the castle on Wednesday at 1:40. I wouldn't expect that we could have gotten this pic if the park was at a 10. Now don't get me started on the photo bomber on the right!!! Why do people think that it is funny? Why?

View attachment 227123

So, all week when we were there, I kept asking myself, "who sees a standby wait time of 120 minutes and actually decides that this is an acceptable amount of time to wait for 2-3 minute ride?". I'm super curious, had y'all just decided that you were getting on that Frozen ride regardless? Or did you think the wait would much less than the posted time? Or what? Just wondering about the mindset. If I see a posted wait of more than about 45 minutes, I'm not getting in line, but that's just me and my own aversion to lines.

ETA: that's a great pic. Great idea. Photo bomber is hilarious, too.

I couldn't dream of what motivates people to embellish things online. But you and I both know they do
Note, I didn't say I don't believe it's possible to every wait 45 min. It is and I have. But I don't think it's so common that someone would have that problem for many of their bus rides on a given trip
Trust me!!! It is VERY POSSIBLE. Our POR trip ended us flying. We always take a car now and hardly use the buses any more. Here are some examples:

Leaving MK:
1PM we are #4 and #5 in line for POR bus. Just across the stop is the POFQ bus line with about 5 people. POFQ bus comes and goes. Now about 15 people in POR bus line. I am talking with the dad behind me that we had been waiting about 20 minutes now. About 4 more people are in line for POFQ bus, bus pulls up, and leaves (about 30 minutes waiting now). POR has about 60 people waiting now and it is about 1:30. A 3rd POFQ bus comes and goes. I tell the guy if another shows up, I am getting on it. 45 minutes total, a 4th POFQ bus pulls up. We get out, get on the nearly empty bus, walk for POFQ to POR. We change, have a snack, get a drink, and head to the pool. As we are walking by the lobby, the dad I was talking to is just getting off the bus almost 90 minutes after we had gotten in line.

Leaving AK:
About 1PM the POR bus is across from Poly bus. There are about 10 of us waiting. The Poly bus pulls up and leaves. We wait about 20 minutes and I knock on the bus controller door since it is right there at the stop. He says it is coming right now. He was right. It pulls up, stops, lets people off, closes the door, and pulls away without loading. I knock on the door and the guy has no clue and says another is on the way. There is a family of 4 at the Poly stop now. The dad from the Poly group knocks on the door to the bus controller and goes back. Finally, a bus for POR is here (about 30 minutes). We all board, with ECVs and all. The bus controller comes out and tells us we all have to get off the bus. What!?!?!?! We all get off, ECVs unloaded, and the family of 4 for the Poly are escorted from their stop, onto the bus we just loaded/unloaded, and went on its merry way with 4 people on it. We wait another 20 minutes for a bus and it was a huge fight with who got to get on because those of us that got pulled off it were told to get back in line behind the new people that got in line. It was 1 hour before we loaded a bus to go back to POR.

These were just 2. I can go on and on about that week. We lost an entire day of vacation to bus stop sitting. Until you experience it yourself, be thankful you haven't. This is why we always drive now. There is no possible way that room to entrance or exit to room is faster with Disney transportation than me staying offsite. The only exception is the monorail resorts to MK.

The one thing I regularly hear here that I disagree with is that there aren't any more "slow times". I guess this is all in the eye of the beholder, but if we're speaking relatively? There's definitely slow times. Definitely times when you can get on Pirates, Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion with a 10-15 minute wait at any point in the day. When Big Thunder doesn't get above a 30 minute wait all day. When you can sneak up to Space in the middle of the day and luck out with a 20 minute wait. When you can walk on 7DMT with no wait at 8:00 at night. And when all of the normal walk ons, like Small World, People Mover, Spinners, etc. are actually walk ons. Doesn't mean there's nobody there, because I remember "those" days too, when the place was a ghost town. But relatively, there are definitely times of the year when crowds are basically a non-issue. Especially if you plan at all.
I think it's semantics. Of course there are days that are least crowded. But they are far from not crowded. And often the folks that talk about crowds and how it's always crowded now are thinking about the days when NOBODY was there. Those ghost town days are gone. But there are days where there are lower crowds. Just can't call them not crowded.

So, all week when we were there, I kept asking myself, "who sees a standby wait time of 120 minutes and actually decides that this is an acceptable amount of time to wait for 2-3 minute ride?". I'm super curious, had y'all just decided that you were getting on that Frozen ride regardless? Or did you think the wait would much less than the posted time? Or what? Just wondering about the mindset. If I see a posted wait of more than about 45 minutes, I'm not getting in line, but that's just me and my own aversion to lines.

ETA: that's a great pic. Great idea. Photo bomber is hilarious, too.

Trust me - that wasn't my or the boy's decision. The boss said we were going to ride that before we left. I just saluted and said "Yes dear!" Normally 45 min is our cutoff too but we sometimes stretch it to 60 if there is nothing else we want to do or if the waiting area has a/c.

These were just 2. I can go on and on about that week. We lost an entire day of vacation to bus stop sitting. Until you experience it yourself, be thankful you haven't. This is why we always drive now. There is no possible way that room to entrance or exit to room is faster with Disney transportation than me staying offsite. The only exception is the monorail resorts to MK.

I hear that. Offsite is a great option. If its not a busy time of year when you need those extra 30 days for FPs. Its a 20ish minute drive to MK from most offsite resorts. Less for the other parks. We're big fans. We recently stayed onsite because it was dirt cheap, but typically like the townhomes in the vicinity.

Trust me - that wasn't my or the boy's decision. The boss said we were going to ride that before we left. I just saluted and said "Yes dear!" Normally 45 min is our cutoff too but we sometimes stretch it to 60 if there is nothing else we want to do or if the waiting area has a/c.

:rotfl:

That's hilarious. I feels ya.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter