Character Meals Super Thread!!

Wanted to give a little bump with a few rambling questions. :)

I am still debating between a late breakfast with Minnie and Friends or doing a late breakfast/early lunch at Ariel's Grotto. My DD loves princesses so we will definitely be hanging out in FF. With all the mixed reviews, I am hesitant to do Ariel's. We did Askershus last year at Epcot and loved it. Anyone know if AG is similar?

We only have two days in the parks so I hate to waste too much time in line at FF if we get the same interaction at AG. And, we will probably take another trip to WDW in a year or less so this isn't my one chance for princesses.

TIA for the help - and reading my long post!!

We are back and I've got lackluster reviews of both Surf's Up and Goofy's. I think so much of the character dining experience is due to LUCK. So take my reviews with a grain of salt.

First, we arrived on Saturday, June 7 for our 5:30 pm reservation at Goofy's. The place was surprisingly busy that early, as I thought going early was our best bet. We were seated by the windowed alcove on the far left (it's like a circular room). We stayed about 1 hour, having finished our food in 30 minutes. The dinner buffet was okay. They had a carving station, several hot entrees and sides, the famous PBJ pizza plus the mac and cheese one (and two standard ones, pepperoni and cheese), etc. I tried a little scoop of many of the items but ultimately decided to just stick to the cold salad bar offerings (a good orzo pasta salad and smoked salmon).

The kids' selection has all standard fare (hot dogs, mac and cheese, spaghetti, pizza), so my DDs loved the mac and cheese and spaghetti with meatballs (turkey? I can't remember and didn't take photos of food). They were more than satisfied.

What was disappointing this trip is how often we missed characters. We saw Snow White right when we walked in and sat down at our table, before we got food. Then when we returned we saw Jasmine making her way around the circular room. But when it was our turn, Minnie was at our table so Jasmine skipped us and never came back.

Then when Dale came by, it was when the girls went to get food so just waved at me and kissed my hand before moving on. So my girls missed 2 of the 4 characters we saw in that hour. We likely could have stayed longer, but we had Splash Mountain FP that expired at 6:55 so I wanted to use them. We left at 6:35 and it took us 25 minutes to get to Splash due to the heavy crowds. While Goofy's is the best food of the 4 character meals we've had (Ariel's, Minnie's Breakfast, Goofy's and Surf's Up), the character interaction this time was really disappointing.

Note that we also ordered a birthday cake at Goofy's as we were celebrating DD5's 5th birthday. For $17 they served a thick slice of dry tasteless cake in a pink plastic treasure box with a princess flag and a foam "hand mirror." That was a disappointment to us, but DD5 loves her pink plastic box.

ry%3D400

On Tuesday morning, we had a late brunch at 10:30 am at Surf's Up in the Paradise Pier Hotel. When we arrived, the place was deserted. I think less than 10 families were there, as there was the last dance party with about 10 kids at 10:35, right after we had our photo with Mickey but before the girls had eaten so they didn't run up to the dance party. Darn, we missed it! Then we didn't see ANY characters until 11 am. It must have been a rest break for them. I asked our waiter at 11 where all the characters were and he said he'd check. I also walked up to the PhotoPass photographer near where Mickey was supposed to be and asked her. Then Stitch came out right next to us and I said, "We haven't see any characters yet and it's been 30 minutes, can you please come say hello to my girls?" Stitch was so sweet and grabbed my hand in response. So we walked over and my girls got to say hi, get a photo, and play with Stitch a bit.

By the time we left at 11:30, we saw Minnie, Daisy, and Pluto, too. Food here was ok. Way better than Minnie's breakfast at Plaza Inn, but not as wide a selection as Goofy's. It is a small quieter venue. The made-to-order omelet bar was nice and I got the last 5 slices of smoked salmon (they never refilled it during the hour we were there). The bacon was weird (very thin slices, overly crispy, and not very "bacon-y" flavor), the shredded potato dish was mealy and not cooked well, but the girls stuck to the Mickey waffles and french toast.

All in all, I think we are now officially done with character meals. The girls were happy to see them, but it wasn't the same excitement or squeals like our last trip. Given the expense, I think we won't be doing these on any future trips.

We were at DL from June 8-13 and did 3 character meals: Goofy's Kitchen for dinner, Ariel's Grotto for lunch and PCH Grill Surf's Up for breakfast. Here are some notes:

1. Cost:
- Goofy's Kitchen: Adult $36.99, Child $15.99, 18% gratuity added automatically
- Ariel's Grotto: Adult $38.99, Child $20.99, 15% gratuity added automatically
- PCH Grill: Adult $30.99, Child $15.99, 15% gratuity added automatically, 10% off for my Disney VISA
These costs came straight from my bill. The cost is pretty steep for just average food quality. But we all know we just go to these for the characters, not the food. Glad we did these, but we probably won't do them again next trip.

2. Characters:
- Goofy's Kitchen: PhotoPass photo at checkin with Goofy. Then Perla, Minnie, Pluto and Jasmine.
- Ariel's Grotto: PhotoPass photo at checkin with Ariel. Then Tiana, Cinderella, Belle, and Snow White.
- PCH Grill: PhotoPass photo at checkin with Mickey. Then Daisy, Pluto, Minnie and Stitch.
The characters at the Photopass check in did not circulate in the dining area. I had the PhotoPass Plus card (which they activated my voucher at Goofy's Kitchen) so we got all the photos they took at checkin plus the printed pictures to take home.

3. Food - There's a buffet at both Goofy's Kitchen and PCH Grill. You order off a few menu choices at Ariel's Grotto. All the food was pretty average, meaning not fabulous and not gross. Just basic selections that tasted just fine to me. Goofy's Kitchen offered a big selection of desserts that were bite sized, so it was nice to sample several items.

4. Details:
- Goofy's Kitchen had a more fun and upbeat atmosphere. We were seated up front near the check-in, so probably not the best table location. The characters came around at a steady pace. Minnie and Pluto came by twice. I sorta thought there would be more characters than just those 4 (I was really hoping to see Chip/Dale). We were there about an hour. Our reservation was at 6pm. We had eaten dessert already and didn't want to hang around hoping more characters would rotate through. Service was pretty prompt.
- Ariel's Grotto - We had a 12:40 reservation. They would not let us check in any earlier than 10 minutes prior to reservation time. The check-in line was long and the line to get your photo with Ariel was long and slow. The dining area is divided into 2 parts (one inside and one outside under a covered patio). The inside area seemed a little more cramped than the outside area. They group the reservations all into one side so that the characters can rotate through that area. Then they start seating the other area. We wanted to be seated outside but they were putting all the people inside first. The princesses were announced and they circulated quickly to each table. They seemed a little bit rushed to get to each table. We got plenty of pictures though.
- PCH Grill Surf's Up - We had an early morning reservation at 7:15am. The place was pretty empty. Because of that, we got to play with the characters for quite a while and they came by several times. Minnie sat down at our table with us for 5 minutes. Pluto played tag with the boys. The theme is beach/surfing. There seemed to be a bit more elbow room inside. This turned out to be my favorite of the 3 character meals.

This was our first visit to DL so I wanted to try out the character meals. We're character meal junkies at WDW. I just wish they would have 2 character meals at each park instead of one. I'd still like to try Minnie's Breakfast inside DL.

Hope this was helpful.

Here is my 2 cents of this:
My daughter(16) and I did Goofy's for dinner(Nov 2013) and had a great time! We seen Chip and Dale, Alice, Pluto, Minnie, Cinderella and Aladin. The interaction was great. My daughter is 16 and my self 48 and the characters spent time with us. Chip played peek a boo with my daughter..it was great!
Then My husband and I did Minnie's breakfast in Feb 2014
We saw Peter Pan, Hook, Minnie, Eyeore, Chip and Dale, and Pooh...both times the characters did not seem rushed. Even with two adults the stopped by our tables. It was great!

thank you both for the reports!! we are doing all 4 character meals.. dobyou get to choose the location of your table during check in?? it seems to be key for good interaction... any other tips??? :)

How fun that you're doing 4 and can compare! Please do come back and let us know your thoughts. Which one are you not doing (since there are 5: Ariel, Minnie's at Plaza Inn, Surf's Up at Paradise Pier, Goofy's Kitchen at DLH, and the Storyteller Buffet)?

We weren't asked to choose our table at any of them, and I didn't ask, so I'm not sure if you can request. I think it's really luck of the draw, as we had a great time at Goofy's our first trip and sat in the same section this second trip but didn't get many characters at all.

I'd say you should prep your DD4 that folks will be coming by, she can hug them if she wants (and isn't too shy!), she can ask for an autograph, and should definitely pose for a photo with each character. You mentioned she doesn't speak English, but maybe you can teach her a few phrases? But then she won't understand their answer...I mention this because I've read here that when kids ask questions, the characters linger longer (e.g., "Belle, what's your favorite book to read?").

thank you both for the reports!! we are doing all 4 character meals.. dobyou get to choose the location of your table during check in?? it seems to be key for good interaction... any other tips??? :)

You cannot choose your table. I have been able to very nicely smile and "request" a different table. We have twice been offered a booth the last few trips at Minnie's and Surf's Up, and those are very hard to deal with greeting the characters. We have a 4yo and 2yo, and with the highchair, it's just really challenging to navigate. We were reseated both times, and I profusely thanked the CM for their consideration.

We have a character breakfast at AK Tusker House on our upcoming trip. Park opens at 9 and our reservations are at 8:05. What time do you guys suggest we arrive at the main gate to make it to Tusker house at 8:00? And do the buses run that early?

We have a character breakfast at AK Tusker House on our upcoming trip. Park opens at 9 and our reservations are at 8:05. What time do you guys suggest we arrive at the main gate to make it to Tusker house at 8:00? And do the buses run that early?

This is the Disneyland board, so there would be more help on the WDW board. :) I believe the buses do run early enough to get you there, though.

How fun that you're doing 4 and can compare! Please do come back and let us know your thoughts. Which one are you not doing (since there are 5: Ariel, Minnie's at Plaza Inn, Surf's Up at Paradise Pier, Goofy's Kitchen at DLH, and the Storyteller Buffet)?

We weren't asked to choose our table at any of them, and I didn't ask, so I'm not sure if you can request. I think it's really luck of the draw, as we had a great time at Goofy's our first trip and sat in the same section this second trip but didn't get many characters at all.

I'd say you should prep your DD4 that folks will be coming by, she can hug them if she wants (and isn't too shy!), she can ask for an autograph, and should definitely pose for a photo with each character. You mentioned she doesn't speak English, but maybe you can teach her a few phrases? But then she won't understand their answer...I mention this because I've read here that when kids ask questions, the characters linger longer (e.g., "Belle, what's your favorite book to read?").
hi! we are not doing storytellers... she doesn't know the characters at all!! and 4 meals are more than enough... :)

good idea about learning a few phrases! she is ready for hugs and autographs!
of course i will report back... hopefully we will have a great time!

hi! we are not doing storytellers... she doesn't know the characters at all!! and 4 meals are more than enough... :)

good idea about learning a few phrases! she is ready for hugs and autographs!
of course i will report back... hopefully we will have a great time!

You cannot choose your table. I have been able to very nicely smile and "request" a different table. We have twice been offered a booth the last few trips at Minnie's and Surf's Up, and those are very hard to deal with greeting the characters. We have a 4yo and 2yo, and with the highchair, it's just really challenging to navigate. We were reseated both times, and I profusely thanked the CM for their consideration.
thank you for your tips!!! hoping for great interaction!!!

Is the Surfs Up available year around or only during the summer months? We are planning our DL trip for this October.

Which is better Minnie's or Surf's up?

I think they were both good. If you can only do one, I'd choose based on whether you want something in or out of the parks.

Surf's Up has a more predictable lineup. You'll have more of an unknown element going into Minnie's but get a greater variety. It seemed a little more disorganized at Minnie's but we still have a lot of fun there. We saw several Pooh characters, Minnie, Fairy Godmother, Suzy, Perla and Chip and Dale.

I am hoping for some opinions... We will be going to the Surf's Up breakfast on a Saturday in October. I am trying to figure out if 7 am or 9 am would be better. More people might be sleeping at 7 am, but maybe people would be in the parks at 9 am. Thanks!!! :)

I am hoping for some opinions... We will be going to the Surf's Up breakfast on a Saturday in October. I am trying to figure out if 7 am or 9 am would be better. More people might be sleeping at 7 am, but maybe people would be in the parks at 9 am. Thanks!!! :)

We went on a Tuesday in July at 8:30. I didn't want to wake up the family too early. It was a little busy where about 85% of the tables were occupied. The buffet stations moved pretty well and the characters were very good about visiting everyone.

If I had to do it again, I'd choose a slightly earlier time like 8 or 7:45 (not sure if they offer this time).

Not sure if you're coming during Halloween time. If so, it may be more crowded. Good luck! :cheer2:

I think they were both good. If you can only do one, I'd choose based on whether you want something in or out of the parks.

Surf's Up has a more predictable lineup. You'll have more of an unknown element going into Minnie's but get a greater variety. It seemed a little more disorganized at Minnie's but we still have a lot of fun there. We saw several Pooh characters, Minnie, Fairy Godmother, Suzy, Perla and Chip and Dale.

Minnie's seems to have alot more characters but Surf's up has Stitch and I love him :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter