Character Meals Super Thread!!

The last day of our DLR trip will be Monday, Oct 20th. We have a later flight and thought we might do a leisurely breakfast that day. We have never done a character meal at DLR and are debating between Surf's Up or Goofy's Kitchen. It will just be 2 adults. Any recommendations?

The last day of our DLR trip will be Monday, Oct 20th. We have a later flight and thought we might do a leisurely breakfast that day. We have never done a character meal at DLR and are debating between Surf's Up or Goofy's Kitchen. It will just be 2 adults. Any recommendations?

We did surfs up with Mickey last month and it was awesome just for the character interaction alone. We go back for a one night stay on the weekend of the 6th. I'm contemplating doing Goofy's kitchen for breakfast or dinner. I've heard mixed reviews so I'm still debating. Will post then when I've made my decision. :)

For 2 adults, I would go to Goofy's Kitchen. IMO the food is better at GK, but that being said the food at SU is good also, but Goofy's edges it out with more variety and brunch items.

SU may be a bit too "energetic" for 2 adults ;) there's a dance party with all the little kids, surf music - again, we loved it, but GK had a bit more of a relaxed feel to it over SU.

The grounds at the DLH are quite beautiful as well, and are great for an after breakfast leisurely stroll.

Honestly, you will have a great time at either, but Goofy's seemed to have a slightly more "adult" feel to it - maybe it was the variety of characters, or the interior design (slightly darker, seemed more relaxing), or just the fact that it was at the DLH - it's hard to put my finger on it! :confused3

Whatever you choose - enjoy!! We love both of them!! :thumbsup2

Our family has a standing tradition of an "exit brunch" at Goofy's Kitchen before we hit DTD on last time to get souvenirs (we seem to double the cost of our stay in that last few hours at DTD:confused3) and then head to the airport for a 4:00-ish flight. The selection is the largest of the Character Dining options I've seen. However, the meal and setting at the Storyteller's Cafe seems to be more "adult" themed but has a smaller and more traditional brunch menu.

We've checked out the SU at the Pier, but it never looked like a good fit for us (besides I didn't see any PB&J pizza there);)

For 2 adults I suggest Storyteller's Cafe in the GCH. Better food and probably more ....subdued or quieter. Still characters but the "woodsy" ones and fewer running around kids. Try for a time when the park is open and maybe been open for a bit and the families are focused on the parks and have finished breakfast. (hope this makes sense ) :goodvibes

we did surf's up last year for a 8 am breakfast. park didn't open until 10, so we had plenty of time to interact with the characters and walk over to the park. stitch was great! my lo didn't know who he was since she hadn't seen the movie {she wasn't two yet}.

we are doing goofy's kitchen for dinner, and ariel's for breakfast this year. hoping she likes the character interaction better this year. she was a bit timid last year.

Hey does anyone know if there are any character lunches at Disneyland/CA Adventure other than Ariel's Grotto. I want to take DS to a character meal, lunch or an early dinner works best with our schedule, but I want characters not princesses. Thanks!

Hey does anyone know if there are any character lunches at Disneyland/CA Adventure other than Ariel's Grotto. I want to take DS to a character meal, lunch or an early dinner works best with our schedule, but I want characters not princesses. Thanks!

Goofy's Kitchen at DLR might be your only option. They do lunch and dinner.

I'm looking at the surf's up menu on touring plans and compared to Minnie and Friends it doesn't seem to have a large selection of food and it's more expensive but then it has Stitch. I'm wondering how good they are about letting you just get a quick picture with one character if you aren't eating there :confused3 or is there more to the Surf's up menu that isn't on touring plans. I need to book this tomorrow and sad now because I want to see Stitch but I prefere Minnie's menu :(

I'm looking at the surf's up menu on touring plans and compared to Minnie and Friends it doesn't seem to have a large selection of food and it's more expensive but then it has Stitch. I'm wondering how good they are about letting you just get a quick picture with one character if you aren't eating there :confused3 or is there more to the Surf's up menu that isn't on touring plans. I need to book this tomorrow and sad now because I want to see Stitch but I prefere Minnie's menu :(

You can't come in and take a picture with a character if you aren't eating there. I actually think the food at Surf's Up is better than Minnie's, but they are close to the same. Have you compared the menus here & on the Disneyland website?

Do you have a Disney Visa, by chance? If so, you can do the exclusive M&G in DCA - it switches off between Minnie & Stitch every 30 minutes. It's a way to meet Stitch without the character meal.

You can't come in and take a picture with a character if you aren't eating there. I actually think the food at Surf's Up is better than Minnie's, but they are close to the same. Have you compared the menus here & on the Disneyland website?

Do you have a Disney Visa, by chance? If so, you can do the exclusive M&G in DCA - it switches off between Minnie & Stitch every 30 minutes. It's a way to meet Stitch without the character meal.

We don't have Disney visa unfortunately. :( I asked elsewhere though and they're telling me touring plans menu which is the one I was looking at is lacking because they do have more breakfast items than mentioned

We really want to do a character meal with our 3 year old our next trip. We were thinking about doing the Minnie breakfast, but now I'm wondering about Surf's Up. Our son loves all things Disney, so WHO is at the M&G really doesn't matter. He will be excited at anyone.
Anyway, We are doing Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday at the park in March. And I was thinking of doing the breakfast first thing Saturday, but now we are talking about doing F! so that would have to be Saturday and I don't think I want to do both the same day. Plus I think we will want to head to Fantasyland very first thing to get some of the busy busy rides done first.
Anyways, any suggestions? SU is pretty far out of our way too...we are staying at the Desert Inn and Suites.

Does anyone know where to get the best price on prepaid charachter meal vouchers these days? In the past I've used lastminutetravel, but haven't heard anything about them in a while.

Does anyone know where to get the best price on prepaid charachter meal vouchers these days? In the past I've used lastminutetravel, but haven't heard anything about them in a while.

For our last trip I used an Ebates deal thru Orbitz, they included gratuity as well. Right now, the activities cash back rate is only 1.7% so I'd just keep watching to see if it goes up!

I hope you are referring to the area behind Monsters Inc. where Pluto used to be the character that you would meet with to get a free 5 x 7! If that's the case, I'd be thrilled, because we've had our pic taken with Pluto many times! This would be a GREAT change!! Please tell me I'm right? :confused3

yupikgal said:
I hope you are referring to the area behind Monsters Inc. where Pluto used to be the character that you would meet with to get a free 5 x 7! If that's the case, I'd be thrilled, because we've had our pic taken with Pluto many times! This would be a GREAT change!! Please tell me I'm right? :confused3

Yes this is the place. We took pics with Mini in July here.

So I made reservations as soon as I could for Minnie and Friends. At the time I hadn't seen any official hours for when the park opened but got the earliest reservation offered to me which was 8:40. I'm now seeing the park opens at 9 that day. Was this really the earliest first reservation or did I somehow miss out on the earlier times? Oh and the official site has the restaurant as being open from 8:40 am to 11:00 am for breakfast.

This is my first time going to Disneyland(and probably my last for awhile) so I was trying to make the most of my park time by eating as early as possible.

Hey everyone! I see that you can order off the menu at Storytellers--does anyone know if you can do this at PCH Grill, too?

Thanks!!

Hey everyone! I see that you can order off the menu at Storytellers--does anyone know if you can do this at PCH Grill, too?

Thanks!!

I don't think you can order off the menu at Storytellers any more. I know at PCH Grill for the Surf's Up breakfast it is buffet only.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter