BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

Considering changing my June 2017 trip from POR to a Villa Studio. How much will the construction effect our stay? We have never stayed at WL before. Im not as concerned about the noise as much as the pool situation. We will have two 5 yr olds and are planning more pool time this trip
We are staying at the villas in June, as well, with a 5 yr old and 3 yr old. We plan on midday pool/rest breaks pretty much every day. I plan to spend most of our time at the splash pad at the main pool. If you want to see what it looks like there is a couple youtube videos. I showed it to my boys and they are very excited. So we may not even spend much time at the villa pool even if it is open.

Still debating. Why is this so tough?? Lol
I noticed a lot of the activities are no happening due to construction. Such as outdoor movies and camp fires. Is it relatively easy to take the boat to the camp ground to do these things? Or to visit their quick service??

Still debating. Why is this so tough?? Lol
I noticed a lot of the activities are no happening due to construction. Such as outdoor movies and camp fires. Is it relatively easy to take the boat to the camp ground to do these things? Or to visit their quick service??

It is easy to get to FW by boat. However, the campfire is the Chip and Dale sing a long campfire and it is a bit of a walk into FW. Plus, it is not free like at the other resorts. That said, when we did it last December, the sticks were about $0.85 and we brought our own bag of marshmallows (the remainder of which we gave away to other families... there are only so many marshmallows a person can eat, at least once they are of a certain age). We really liked it and do recommend it, just be prepared.

SW

It is easy to get to FW by boat. However, the campfire is the Chip and Dale sing a long campfire and it is a bit of a walk into FW. Plus, it is not free like at the other resorts. That said, when we did it last December, the sticks were about $0.85 and we brought our own bag of marshmallows (the remainder of which we gave away to other families... there are only so many marshmallows a person can eat, at least once they are of a certain age). We really liked it and do recommend it, just be prepared.

SW

Just to clarify so folks aren't confused: the Chip and Dale singalong campfire is free to attend. What is not free are the marshmallow roasting kits.
Also, the campfire is held near the Meadows store which is in the center of the campground. FW has its own internal bus system that will take you up there from either the Hoop-do-doo area near the lake, or the parking lot (depending on how you get to WL, by boat or bus) unless you want the exercise. Driving your own vehicle is not permitted within the campground. If you feel like splurging, you can even rent a golf cart by the parking area and drive it in. That is permitted, but is a bit too rich for me. I like to take either the boat or dedicated bus over to the HDDR area, have dinner at Trail's End, then take the internal bus from there to the campfire.

Last edited:
I'm planning on bringing my niece, her husband and their 3 young children to the WL in October 2017. I would love to book them a CL room but I'm worried about the construction. How far along do you think it will be by the end of October. Should we stick with our WL plans or book elsewhere....maybe AKL?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!!!

I'm planning on bringing my niece, her husband and their 3 young children to the WL in October 2017. I would love to book them a CL room but I'm worried about the construction. How far along do you think it will be by the end of October. Should we stick with our WL plans or book elsewhere....maybe AKL?

The majority of the construction should be completed by then, and even now in the height of construction, I'd still do CL and not worry. The construction hasn't really been an issue at WL: the restaurants are all open and operating; the main pool and kids' splash pad are wonderful; the majestic music still plays; the lanterns flicker and crickets chirp; it's still a great place to be. And by October, I suspect it will be even better.

The majority of the construction should be completed by then, and even now in the height of construction, I'd still do CL and not worry. The construction hasn't really been an issue at WL: the restaurants are all open and operating; the main pool and kids' splash pad are wonderful; the majestic music still plays; the lanterns flicker and crickets chirp; it's still a great place to be. And by October, I suspect it will be even better.

Thank you so much for this encouragement. I know they will love WL so I think I will book our rooms here now that you have lessened my fears!!!
Thanks again!!!

Thank you so much for this encouragement. I know they will love WL so I think I will book our rooms here now that you have lessened my fears!!!
Thanks again!!!
Well, there are some who would prefer to stay away until all construction is done, and I understand that. However, we were there during the construction, and I've seen plenty of reports from acquaintances and strangers alike, and we all nearly universally agree that the impact of the work is minimal. The crews only work from roughly 8-5, and if you're inside the room, the noise is barely noticeable if at all. While the construction area is walled off, the rest of the Lodge areas are certainly open as mentioned before: restaurants, the Mercantile, the Geyser, the main pool, the boat dock, the bus stop, and even the paved bike path to FW (though the nature trail is closed, of course). The CL lounge has moved, and by the reports I've read, it's been very nicely redone. According to comments emanating from a recent DVC owners' meeting at VWL, the new quiet pool is slated to open by late summer, and there's a decent chance the new grill and bar in the building now resting where the beach once existed (which I sadly miss) will also be open by October. Go and enjoy, I say!

I agree with @sleepydog25. I stayed at WL CL at the end of November and construction impact was pretty minimal. The new lounge had just opened up and it was wonderful.

The only small nuisance was that there's only one elevator bank open - in the middle of the north wing past Roaring Forks. Daily comings/goings would be a bit easier with the lobby elevators also open, but it wasn't the end of the world. Who knows what the status will be by October, presumably/probably back online by then I would guess.

I'd book WL again with the construction without hesitation, but I'm also very much looking forward to booking once it's done - the DVC-side pool and new waterfront bar/grill look like they are going to be awesome.

Well, there are some who would prefer to stay away until all construction is done, and I understand that. However, we were there during the construction, and I've seen plenty of reports from acquaintances and strangers alike, and we all nearly universally agree that the impact of the work is minimal. The crews only work from roughly 8-5, and if you're inside the room, the noise is barely noticeable if at all. While the construction area is walled off, the rest of the Lodge areas are certainly open as mentioned before: restaurants, the Mercantile, the Geyser, the main pool, the boat dock, the bus stop, and even the paved bike path to FW (though the nature trail is closed, of course). The CL lounge has moved, and by the reports I've read, it's been very nicely redone. According to comments emanating from a recent DVC owners' meeting at VWL, the new quiet pool is slated to open by late summer, and there's a decent chance the new grill and bar in the building now resting where the beach once existed (which I sadly miss) will also be open by October. Go and enjoy, I say!

Well, I'm happy to announce that I have now booked 3 CL rooms for next October and I am so excited. Thank you for your advice which really helped us choose the WL. We cannot wait!!!

I agree with @sleepydog25. I stayed at WL CL at the end of November and construction impact was pretty minimal. The new lounge had just opened up and it was wonderful.

The only small nuisance was that there's only one elevator bank open - in the middle of the north wing past Roaring Forks. Daily comings/goings would be a bit easier with the lobby elevators also open, but it wasn't the end of the world. Who knows what the status will be by October, presumably/probably back online by then I would guess.

I'd book WL again with the construction without hesitation, but I'm also very much looking forward to booking once it's done - the DVC-side pool and new waterfront bar/grill look like they are going to be awesome.

Thank you so much for answering. You have got me really excited about the new lounge. I cannot wait to see all the changes since we were last there. Thanks again!!!

WISHING EVERYONE A HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS 2017!

Stopped by yesterday, pool cabanas are next to the hot tub, boulders look like the rebar is finished and they are starting to get ready for boulder building. Wondering if they will restrict access to DVC only or share with lodge, restricting would increase DVC sales.

Thanks for posting an update, @disneynutz.

We stopped by the Wilderness Lodge on Saturday, December 3rd for a quick visit. I only took a couple pictures of the construction outside of Roaring Forks. This is the wall that is hiding the patio construction:

IMG_2954_zpsknl8v5xr.jpg

And they have frosted the windows near Roaring Forks so that you can't see what they are doing to the patio:

IMG_2953_zpsawnhgspq.jpg

Then on Tuesday morning, Dec 6th, we booked a private water taxi from GF to FW for our breakfast at Trail's End. I asked the CM if he could take the boat past the construction at WL and he was happy to do it:

IMG_2995_zps6enebmbr.jpg

This is the cabin closest to the monorail and the least finished of all the cabins.

IMG_2996_zpsgcyl4ttx.jpg

This one has some interior walls and you can tell that there will be a chimney.

IMG_2998_zpsuuhevhfk.jpg

It looks like a few of the trees are dying. There are a lot of trees in the courtyard area. The Trout Pass bar is to the right, the construction wall which blocks the view of the construction from the pool area is in the middle, and the new grill area is on the left.

IMG_3003_zps4qycrnhy.jpg

This looks like it will be an open air patio.

IMG_3004_zpsykcmik10.jpg

This is probably the restaurant. The CM's on the boat said that there are job postings already for the new bar and grill. The marina building is getting a new roof.

IMG_3006_zpsnzsnjgkg.jpg

I posted a copy of these pictures to the main Wilderness Lodge thread.

Thank you, @woodnymph for posting your great, up-close photos to both threads:)

Great pics and thanks!

Also, someone just attended the latest owners meeting and reported the following over on the VWL thread:
The cabins will sleep 8
The restaurant will be table service
There will be a community hall
There will be BBQ pavilions

And there will be suites which do sleep 12 (which gives credence to the rumors there would be GVs with the new resort)

As with most things, the final results of the construction for CCVC remain to be seen; however, nothing in the comments above seem unlikely.

What great information, @sleepydog25 - thank you (and DW).

New Club Level lounge (Old Faithful Club) on the 7th floor of the main building. Totally re-done and in a new location.

Also, just realized this discussion is a bit OT as its not directly DVC related. Sorry about that.

Not OT! Even though the lounge is part of WL and not part of the DVC expansion, it was relocated due to the closure of the South Wing where it originally was located.

Can you see or hear any construction from the pool area?

You can see that the windows of one wing are covered and that there is work going on behind those covers. I never heard any construction noise in December when we were at the pool. It might have been audible if there had not been the usual pool noise to cover it.

It's not about seeing or hearing construction, it's about staying at a resort that has construction walls up. Waiting a year to stay there gives you a new, completed resort and IMO much more bang for your buck.

:earsboy: Bill

And, another factor to consider are the closed amenities such as the Sturdy Branches spa, the marina and beach, the nightly marshmallow roast and the children's activity center. You still have access to these amenities, but you would have to go to another MK Area resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter