• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best way to bring drinks to the parks?

zilp

Mouseketeer
We are getting a huge order from Garden Grocer for our next vacation. In the past, we have found that bringing drinks in to the parks is very convenient and cost saving for us. We usually carry a small soft sided cooler with a 2 drinks per person in our family (water to drink for the day and one juice/iced tea for lunch). We also throw in a quick snack. That means after lunch (usually by 11:30a since we eat lunch early) we are only carrying around bottles of water.

Here's my dilemma: We used to stick the bags with drinks/snacks onto a stroller. Now that my youngest is 6, we are not planning on bringing a stroller. What's the best way to carry around drinks? Would it be worth it to get a locker?

Last edited:
Water is free at any quick service location. Wh carry it all day when you can just ask for a cup of ice water?

The lockers are at the front of the park. To me, it would be inconvenient to go back there to get something. Carry small snacks in a sling backpack, or something similar and lightweight.

We like to use a hydration backpack-- fill with ice and water in the morning and refill with free ice during the day.

We usually take an afternoon break, so I just have other drinks in the room but DH will often toss a soda or two in one of the side compartments of the backpack.

I would not use a locker for drinks because I wouldn't want to walk that far whenever someone is thirsty. That's why I like the hydration bag; we can take a few sips of water any time throughout the day.

Water is free at any quick service location. Wh carry it all day when you can just ask for a cup of ice water?

The lockers are at the front of the park. To me, it would be inconvenient to go back there to get something. Carry small snacks in a sling backpack, or something similar and lightweight.
We used to carry a refillable brita bottle.... then we decided why bother when ice water is free everywhere? (we figured this out when youngest stopped using a stroller lol)

We carry hydration packs too. I pack a Brita filter pitcher and pack the bladder full of ice then pour the water in. We refill with the free ice water. I know we could just stop and get a free cup of ice water but that takes time. And DD is never convenient about it. LOL so it's just more convenient to have the hydration packs.

I do plan on packing lunches a few days this go round. My plan is to put the cooler in a locker while we tour the parks. I know it's at the front of the park but walking to the front of the park for lunch is no worse than standing in line to order and then waiting for my food and then trying to find a table. Plus I can pack healthier foods. I can only eat restaurant foods for so long before I just need veggies.

OP here, I should have mentioned that we are going to SeaWorld, Busch Gardens & Legoland for 5 days, no Disney parks this visit. I know we can get free water, but carrying water works best for our family. As PP mentioned, it's just easier for us to carry drinks versus searching out for it. Plus, we aren't fans of how the tap water tastes. We don't care for soda/Coke/Pepsi products. Since it's vacation, we usually pick our favorite beverages via Garden Grocer to drink for lunch (eg 100% juice type drinks for the kids, unsweetened iced tea for us). I am not sure how easy it is to find those types of drinks in the parks?

I am still planning to bring in drinks so would appreciate additional ideas on how to carry/store drinks-keep em coming :)

I have a tote bag cooler (so it doesn't "soak through") - it can fit up to 12 cans/bottles. We've also done a cooler backpack (we didn't have a stroller last trip and hubby took the hit with carrying it and we drank early and often to help lighten it:). It rode on most rides pretty easily or stayed with the parent swap. 2 drinks per person is what we brought, plus snacks, and it was doable...although we did not tour every day (giving my hubby's back and shoulder a chance to recover at least every 3 days)...

We use a backpack. It's heavy, so I encourage everyone to drink up! It's not so bad now that it's just DD22 and me, but sometimes that backpack was pretty darned heavy! When staying in a house with a freezer, I'd freeze half-full bottles overnight, then top them up in the morning, so things would stay pretty cold. Mostly these days, we just bring empty bottles and fill them from the ice water cups we get at QS places, or fill the bottles with ice cubes at the food court in the morning and drink as the ice melts.

We are getting a huge order from Garden Grocer for our next vacation. In the past, we have found that bringing drinks in to the parks is very convenient and cost saving for us. We usually carry a small soft sided cooler with a 2 drinks per person in our family (water to drink for the day and one juice/iced tea for lunch). We also throw in a quick snack. That means after lunch (usually by 11:30a since we eat lunch early) we are only carrying around bottles of water.

Here's my dilemma: We used to stick the bags with drinks/snacks onto a stroller. Now that my youngest is 6, we are not planning on bringing a stroller. What's the best way to carry around drinks? Would it be worth it to get a locker?
IMO, putting it in a locker is kind of fruitless. Do you really want to schlep to the front of the park every time someone wants a drink? Wouldn't it be better to have something to sip on whenever you got thirsty?
Judging by your signature, that means carrying 10 beverages (plus snacks) with you to the parks and for most of the morning. My attitude is and always was: Mom is not a pack mule. You want it - you carry it! The kids each had their own fanny pack for snacks and a drink. You wouldn't need to do fanny packs. An insulated drawstring backsack/gym bag would work just as well. Distributing the weight among the family made me a happier person and the kids had access to their own stuff, so one or another of them wasn't pestering me every 5 minutes for something.

While at 6 the youngest old enough to walk at normal venues for me WDW isn't a normal venue, or any of the theme parks all that walking and more walking day after day. I would do the stroller, you could do a umbrella style stroller for the just in case...then you might end up trying to carry him, and a bag full of drinks and snacks. If you wanted to you could rent a stroller at any of the parks for the day, just to store your stuff, I don't think it would be much more that renting a locker.

OP here, I should have mentioned that we are going to SeaWorld, Busch Gardens & Legoland for 5 days, no Disney parks this visit.

SeaWorld (and probably Busch Gardens too) is much more restrictive on what you can bring into the park. One thing they absolutely won't allow is straws --- like the ones often attached to juice boxes.

I can't imagine carrying around ten drinks and snacks would be fun and make a less stressful trip.
I'm a big fan of take a water bottle and refill at a bubbler throughout the day. There are bubblers everywhere and you can top off quickly and easily.

I see you are still planning to carry drinks and snacks. Honestly there's really no way to do it easily and conveniently for a bunch of people. You'll just have to carry around a bag with the stuff in it or keep it in a locker which defeats the purpose of bringing your own drinks.

I would first check the rules at each of these parks. Many may not allow anything more than one water bottle per person. Many years ago, on our first WDW trip, we bought a backpack cooler to carry drinks into the park to save money. OMG, that thing was so heavy and too big and not safe on many rides. We carried it one day and then it never left the room. Not a lot of help but I would check rules first to see if taking things in is even an option.

I would first check the rules at each of these parks. Many may not allow anything more than one water bottle per person.

I just looked up Busch Gardens policy which looks more specific than SeaWorld:

Food & Beverage Policy
Restaurants and concession stands are conveniently located throughout the park. Hard and soft coolers, glass containers, food such as sandwiches, meals, snacks etc., and flavored drinks may not be taken into the park. Water bottles may be taken into the park. Outside food and drinks are not allowed in Busch Gardens. Guests with special dietary needs, please contact Guest Relations.

Looks like we'll stick with just water bottles. Dumb question, where can you get water? Do you have to wait in (potentially long) lines to get to the counter to ask for it? Do they have water stations/fountains? I think we're going to look into flavoring packets. I've had True Lemon, but does anyone have other favorite brands?

I usually bring a backpack to the park, carry 2 water bottles and fill them up all day long. We all share the bottle, so 2 for all of us works .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter