• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best bang-for-the-buck souvenirs?

DS got the Magic Moments game in June. You can activate the 16 games by visiting each ride at all 4 parks. It kept him entertained during the waits for parades, shows, and ride lines. He still plays it now.

I also say go to the outlet center right outside WDW. You can get small items pretty cheap and t-shirts at $5 or so, and sweatshirts around $10.
Character Corner, 15779 Apopka-Vineland Rd, 407-238-0011

Instead of a free grocery stop with YourRide, I go to the Character Corner! ;) :teeth:

One of the best that my DD got in June was the Passport in Epcot. It really made for a great day of interaction with the CM at the different countries. And was very educational for her! From each of the countries, she learned something!!!!
Even now we talk about it, and she wants to do the same thing in Oct!!:)

The other BIGGIE for her is the pressed pennies!!!! So for about $15 she got so many different pennies with characters, etc.
and it really made it so much fun looking for the machines!!
AND......this is a biggie for me......it took her away from looking at the junk toys!!!! and she concentrated on finding the machines!!!

For me, I usually get a Christmas ornament...I have a Disney tree!! :)
I usually pick up one on the annual disc ornaments. Then I also get something that represents that year some how!!! For example, last year, we got a red, white and blue Mickey because of 9-11.
The year we got a new puppy......we got a Pluto ornament.
When my oldest DD got married.....that year it was the Mickey and Minnie kissing.

I have a LOT of the things already mentioned......but I would say the one that I really SEE and enjoy the most is my ....

Castle screensaver!! Love it.

One of the things I have been picking up on the last few trips are the die cast models of the different ride vehicles. They are very inexpensive and have been a fun addition to my collection.

I have to agree with the Mickey car antenna topper!! For $3 you can't go wrong - they have all different colors & "themes". I have a red, white & blue Mickey right now, but am going to pick up a pink princess one on my next trip (tease my boys with it!) It makes me smile everytime I approach my van. Pens are also cheap & can bring you a smile everytime you use them. :) My kids' favorite souvenirs are pins of their favorite rides and characters. Also, mugs & 1 Christmas ornament each year we go. We tend not to buy the usual T-shirts/sweatshirts. That's what works for my family :)

I use my computer to make trip books for the kids that serves as a travel journal, scrapbook, photo album, and autograph book. I put a question about each country in World Showcase, and they have to find the answer, and they get a passport stamp by each one. There are plenty of free mementos that I put in these. Grab plenty of park map brochures. I use at least 2 per scrapbook. These are their favorite souvies.

I've also picked up some things on sale at the DS.

At Epcot don't forget the Kidcot stations where they make free souvenirs.

Some of my favorites are my WDW screen saver (I think it was $10), my refillable mug from the AKL which I use at work all the time, my personalized Christmas ornament from Disney Days of Christmas, and the watercolors I have of the resorts (they are both 8 x 10 and were about 20 or 25 dollars each). I also got a huge poster (very nice poster) at the Grand Floridian gift shop (it's the same poster that is framed and hangs on the wall in the rooms) for $25. My mom had it framed for me for a gift, and it makes me smile every time I see it. :)

My favorite are the things I use and see everyday. I bought a mickey cell phone holder and a tigger key ring that is a daily reminder of WDW. We also have bought a great Mickey fanny pack that we can use on every trip. We even found the t-shirts to be an good investment because we all get one alike and do indeed wear them a great deal on our return home.
I am planning NOT to budget as much for souvenirs on our next trip. This is a great thread to help decide what we really want.

Jordan's mom

So many great ideas!!!! Personally, my sister and I do pins from the attractions, but I love the idea about the diecast cars! We got my son one from Countdown to Ext. (Dinosaur) last visit because he was too little to ride...I didn't know they had them for other rides! For neighbors and special friends of my son, we have gotten the Mickey Mac and Cheese. For my son, we have done the pressed pennies. We do this for all places he goes, and have a special bank in which to deposit them. I also agree that pens are a good idea, because when you see them you just remember and feel good. I think I went a little overboard the first time, and have learned my lesson! You can get many things at a low cost that you can see daily, like the suction cups and pens, or things that you will have for many years (to remind you of that special trip) like Christmas ornaments.

Now a question...are there any outlets that you can get to without a taxi if you are staying on property? Thanks for any info!

In May, I got some character post-its as little souvenirs for people at work. They were $2.50 each, and they had Mickey, Minnie, Winnie the Pooh, etc. I love writng notes on them. There are also lots of other nice stationery items that are relatively inexpensive.

I want to put my second on the re-fillable mugs from the resorts and the antenna toppers!! I couldn't wait until our trip in Oct, and I got the Halloween one at the Disney Store. It is really cute!
Mickey is a jack-o-lantern. I have several. I also get the note pads and pens, esp for workmates!

So many things, so little $$$

As I read this thread, I realized that it is the *little* things that we buy that seem to bring us the most pleasure and give us "more bang for the buck".

I also purchase an ornament every year that reminds us of our trip. This year we bought into the DVC at the BCVs so we bought a Beach Club ornament for the tree.

I have the WDW Mickey cell phone holder and I use my refillable mugs in the car and at work. Having my morning coffee in them brings back great memories of coffee with friends and family at the various resorts.

I also have a few of the note paper cubes that I use at work, they tend to last a long time and I still am using the one I got at DCA last June!!!

I also got a mousepad with the FAB 5 on it at one of the outlets, so that is another cheap reminder of great times.

The most expensive thing I purchased was last Nov. when I bought a Christmas Mickey sweatshirt. I did wear it to work and plan to take it back down when I go to MVMCP in Dec.

Another favorite is a framed picture of my family we took at MGM last Aug. I even sprung for a Disney frame!!!!

This has been a great thread!!!

pin
remember the magic
DVC/BCV 2002

I just wanted to mention that I went to Disney World in October of 2000. The Millennium Celebration was almost over and we found awsome deals on Millennium merchandise in Epcot. If there is anyone going to Disney World soon, or even if you have been lately, you may find great deals on 100 Years of Disney merchandise in the parks. Just thought I'd make a quick note. :D :D :D

HELP! Like a dummy I promised my 4 year old niece that I would buy her a Minnie Mouse costume for Halloween. I checked on the Disney web site and found them to run $40.00-$50.00. :( That's alittle too rich for my blood. Do you think they're any cheaper at WDW? What do I do?

I always get a WDW frame for a favorite picture taken at the parks. It is a tradition that my kids enjoy and is not expensive. I take alot of pictures and we enjoy looking at them after the trip.

I usually like to check the little hidden clearance sections in some of the bigger shops. We've gotten some great things at 50- 75% off that way.

Our ds likes to collect pressed pennies while there. I agree with the pencils, pens, stationary and magnets. Instead of getting the Passports at Epcot, check with a CM at the gate, and see if they have any of the Kidcot Activity Books. These take the kids through Epcot, (FW and WS) and best of all, the price can't be beat... FREE!!! If you get the e-mail postcard picture taken at Epcot, and send it to your own e-mail address, you can print it out when you get home as a nice momento, and then send it back out to whomever you choose. Hold onto the plastic kids cups and Mickey straws at the different restaurants. Our kids are still using some from 3 years ago, and they didn't cost anything.

Other money-saving ideas are that we've given each child $20.00 on the day we arrive, and told them that this was their spending money... then we offered to DOUBLE whatever they had remaining when we got home. Each child had at least $10.00 left, and $30 was a heck of a lot less than we probably would have spent on each of them there.

Our other tip that usually meets with success (should have done this our last two trips!) is that we save all souvenier shopping for our last day there. You'd be surprised at how many things that you "had to have" the first day, that you find you can do without on Day 10 :).

One of my six-year-old son's favorite is a stuffed dinosaur that he got in AK at the carnival games near the dumbo-dino ride. If you go first thing the carnie games are empty, so you play the game with them, $2 each and let the kid win. There is a prize and winner everytime at these games.

I would have to say the autograph book for $6.00 was a great one. We've looked at it a lot!!! My daughter was able to get 43 autographs (some repeats). Also keychains and magnets are a great inexpensive reminder and I also love the refillable mug. Every time I look at it, I think of our great vacation. Can't wait to get another one in less than a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are my favorites from years past...

Park CD's
WDW or DL Travel VHS/DVD- not the free ones, these detail the parks well.
Photo's- although you have to take them, there good. I have photos of the Segway exhibit at Innoventions, and a great photo of the Sage of Time.
Anything with a pratical use at home- these could be cups and mugs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter