Back to school *vent*

As an elementary teacher I have to jump in on this.

By the end of the year they are mangled, dull, and barely hanging together. Usually I have bought 10 or more extra pair to replace the lost and broken ones (most of the time they stretch them waaaay out till the screw gives way). I have never made it through the school year without having to purchase extra folders, scissors, pencils, glue sticks, and markers. So if you really wanted a pair of used 69 cent scissors back at the end of the year I could probably scrounge some up and send a pair home but I would chuckle about it.

It is just infuriating and I may just change my policy and not pool anything (in my room we pool markers, glue sticks, pencils, index cards, and notebook paper). The students can now keep it all in their desks and when they run out they can borrow from a neighbor or use saved scraps. No extras available at all through my own money. And let me tell you some kids can go through 24 pencils in about a month and I'm sure the same parents who are griping now will not like getting a monthly email letting them know little Johnny needs more pencils and will be writing with my 1 inch saved nubs until she sends them. Because god forbid he should use something of mine or someone elses and/or not take home perfectly unused pencils at the end of the year.

I have also had parents complain that they couldn't bring in "cute" pencils or folders. I just tell them that if it's that important then they are certainly welcome to buck the system (said in a nicer way of course). With the pencils please send in a hand held sharpener because I sharpen all the pencils before school to avoid wasting classtime and most foil glitter etc don't work in my electric sharpener (which I've learned the hard way not to let the kids use - $60 of my money down the drain bc of someone stuffing crayons in it). If a special pencil is lost I can't take academic time to launch an investigation, interview witnesses, and take statements. So, if they will be terribly upset about this they should keep it at home. As for the folders it is definitely easier to say take out your green math folder. However, if Johnny must have a zebra print I will still just say take out your green math folder and he needs to be able to follow that direction as promptly as the other students. Also, if he gets confused which subject is "zebra" it will be his job to sort out his own papers and find missing objects, I won't take classtime to assist and take away from other's learning.

I am a second grade teacher. You couldn't have said this better. I back you up on everything you have said! Parents just don't understand how much time a little thing like a "fancy" pencil can take away from class. Our time is too valuable to waste learning time on "pencil investigations".

I am a second grade teacher. You couldn't have said this better. I back you up on everything you have said! Parents just don't understand how much time a little thing like a "fancy" pencil can take away from class. Our time is too valuable to waste learning time on "pencil investigations".

:thumbsup2

omgosh. Teachers I owe you an apololgy. It has been pointed out to me that the poster who I took to be a teacher and was so offensive, isn't a teacher. I should have known, the teachers I know are nothing like that. The teachers I know are gracious, hardworking individuals not crass and rude. The internet is not always a blessing, lol.

Michelle and C, I agree. I also am willing to pay for a better and well educated society in whole. It helps...I just paid the property tax yesterday!

Well I guess you wouldn't be happy with our school when it comes time for the yearly "smencil" sale! Those kids are sniffing those things in class for days LOL. The teachers buy them too to give out as prizes to the kids.

I am in agreement. Sports shouldn't just be for the rich kids.

How is it that sports shouldn't just be for "rich kids" but drama club etc SHOULD be?? My friends daughter in drama club last year (which my daughter will be in this year) needed 6 change of costumes for the play which are all bought out of pocket- came to almost 500.00-they are also not allowed to fundraise or charge admission to the plays to offset the costume and set charges (they say that wouldn't be fair if all the kids and families couldn't afford to come!). There is a double standard when it comes to sports and all other clubs and activities. I believe that they should be paying to play sports as well as any other "club" type activity. Taxpayer money should be going to education- not other activities. If my child wanted to do something I would sure as heck scrap together money to pay for it- save oever the summer etc...I don't expect taxpayers to pay for my kids school drama club, newspaper club, computer club, critics club etc...
If you join any sports or other activities outside of school you pay- should be the same for school.

eh, I think the school needed to look at the play they chose, and pick one they could afford. And pay for it. But that is just me.

Schools are already using their budget to pay for many things that are not related to education. At least the extracurriculars actually do something to improve the life of the students. Unlike the new administration position added in our district this year.

At my sons middle school, if you can afford the $400 for cheerleading you're in! That goes towards the camp, uniform etc....but that is their try out system. If you can write the check you make the squad. And this is a public school. I feel bad for the girls who have the talent to make the team, but can't afford it. Thats wrong.

Well I guess you wouldn't be happy with our school when it comes time for the yearly "smencil" sale! Those kids are sniffing those things in class for days LOL. The teachers buy them too to give out as prizes to the kids.

I know it's off topic, but as a pencil geek I have to say this:

Smencils are the best pencils on the face of the earth. No joke. They're even better than Ticonderogas.

Well, my child must pay to play school sports. The school soccer team gets 2 uniforms, every 4 years, that's it. The Boosters (or I should say parents) pay for everything, even the mowing of the fields, to tune of thousands of dollars. So, where I live the schools are giving athletics much money and we have some of the best teams in the state.

Smencils are the best pencils on the face of the earth. No joke. They're even better than Ticonderogas.

LOL--- I love smencils! I make sure we keep them in their tubes so the smell stay too!

I sense a new CSI spinoff coming our way this fall... :happytv:

I have also had parents complain that they couldn't bring in "cute" pencils or folders. I just tell them that if it's that important then they are certainly welcome to buck the system (said in a nicer way of course). With the pencils please send in a hand held sharpener because I sharpen all the pencils before school to avoid wasting classtime and most foil glitter etc don't work in my electric sharpener (which I've learned the hard way not to let the kids use - $60 of my money down the drain bc of someone stuffing crayons in it). If a special pencil is lost I can't take academic time to launch an investigation, interview witnesses, and take statements. So, if they will be terribly upset about this they should keep it at home. As for the folders it is definitely easier to say take out your green math folder. However, if Johnny must have a zebra print I will still just say take out your green math folder and he needs to be able to follow that direction as promptly as the other students. Also, if he gets confused which subject is "zebra" it will be his job to sort out his own papers and find missing objects, I won't take classtime to assist and take away from other's learning.

This is so funny :rotfl:

My dd wants these, but I don't know where to buy them. Do I have to order them online or can they be found in stores?

Those sound like they would make great rewards for making goals! I'll check out our teacher store. Thanks!

By the end of the year they are mangled, dull, and barely hanging together. Usually I have bought 10 or more extra pair to replace the lost and broken ones (most of the time they stretch them waaaay out till the screw gives way). I have never made it through the school year without having to purchase extra folders, scissors, pencils, glue sticks, and markers. So if you really wanted a pair of used 69 cent scissors back at the end of the year I could probably scrounge some up and send a pair home but I would chuckle about it.

It is just infuriating and I may just change my policy and not pool anything (in my room we pool markers, glue sticks, pencils, index cards, and notebook paper). The students can now keep it all in their desks and when they run out they can borrow from a neighbor or use saved scraps. No extras available at all through my own money. And let me tell you some kids can go through 24 pencils in about a month and I'm sure the same parents who are griping now will not like getting a monthly email letting them know little Johnny needs more pencils and will be writing with my 1 inch saved nubs until she sends them. Because god forbid he should use something of mine or someone elses and/or not take home perfectly unused pencils at the end of the year.

As a teacher, this is the best and most accurate reply I have read.

LOL, this is hilarious on the one hand, but so true on the other. And if you don't take time to investigate, you can expect an email or phone call from that child's parent asking what happened to that special pencil. Same for a lost glove, hat, or a silly band that they shouldn't have brought to school in the first place. Some parents really think we can keep track of every personal belonging of every child in our classroom. I can't even keep track of my stuff!:rotfl2:

The students in clubs sell the smencils as fund raisers around here.

If a special pencil is lost I can't take academic time to launch an investigation, interview witnesses, and take statements.
This is so funny :rotfl:
6 year olds are relentless in wanting justice. ::yes::
LOL, this is hilarious on the one hand, but so true on the other. And if you don't take time to investigate, you can expect an email or phone call from that child's parent asking what happened to that special pencil. Same for a lost glove, hat, or a silly band that they shouldn't have brought to school in the first place. Some parents really think we can keep track of every personal belonging of every child in our classroom. I can't even keep track of my stuff!:rotfl2:
You said it!!!

Absolutely! They write beautifully. I buy them and hide mine from the kids :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter