Back to school *vent*

The comments I made were in reference to the whining about school supplies which is what this thread was originally about. Lots of people were whining about color coding folders, putting glue and pencils in a communal box and other various complaints about how the teachers ask for brand specific items (because they are better).

Yes, I was reacting to that.

stop whining like 2 year olds and let the paid professionals do their job

This is the exact quote that I think projects severe unprofessionalism.

I am getting kids from a couple of programs locally that are callingf themselves Mont. and go through 8th grade. These kids have had NO public school before they get to me. Some of them do fine, but many have serious skill gaps, usually focused around the subjects they "don't like". From what I am seeing of the kids coming out of it, the program is more like unschooling. There is NO structure or requirment about WHAT the kids are learning. They are given complete choice as to what they will and will not study.

You know, when you were describing them not doing what they don't like, I was thinking about unschooling. Someone in our church just mentioned they would be unschooling and when I read up on it online, it does seem to be totally child-led. I don't know how that could ever work. My son would do nothing buy play video games if I let him lead, but to each his own.

Montessori does "follow the child" to some extent, but that is more about not pushing a child into something they are not intellectually ready for or holding them back from something they are ready for. There is supposed to be careful record keeping to make sure that the students are not avoiding certain subjects, and that they are progressing. I call it freedom with limits. My kids have no choice on writing each day, although they can often choose what they write about. Then they have to choose 2-3 other challenging works from their work plan. The "works" I put on the workplan span the curriculum, some reading/language works, some math works, some geography/science works. When they complete each work, it is checked off by a teacher and when they finish their work plan for the day, they get free choice from any area of the classroom, including art, puzzles, or another challenging work. I use the completed work plans to make the plans for the next week and I have a record keeping sheet with all the standard course of study objectives, and I check them off as they master them. I also do a lot of observation to see what things the students are choosing or watching during free choice and I will make notes for planning. For example, if I see someone watching another child doing a puzzle map(map of one of the continents, but not easy), I will introduce them to that work on a later day.

It really hurts my heart to hear that some Montessoris are not doing a good job teaching the whole child. Kids need direction and preparation for future studies.

All I can say is OMG:scared1:

Here is a list of what my youngest DD 7th grade wants purchased for the school year.

9 Composition notebooks
Pen/Pencil Pouch
3 boxes of Tissues
Blue and black pens – for all classes
Pencils – for all classes
Loose Leaf paper – All Classes
Hand held pencil sharpener (no batteries)
3-3 ring binder 1 ½ inch
1 Three-subject notebook
Calculator (Texas Instruments TI-34II)
2 pads of yellow lined paper
1 box of colored markers
Post Its
1 roll of scotch tape
5 folders
and some smaller stuff

I do not mean to disrespect any teachers out there but, REALLY!?!?!

Spanish class even has crayons on the list.
Math class alone has listed 2 com books, 3 subject notebook and a binder. I am blown away.

Anyone else out there floored by this list?

Would u rather home school? Or perhaps private school about 200
a week

Yes, I was reacting to that.

This is the exact quote that I think projects severe unprofessionalism.

You are not understanding what I am trying to get at.
For EXAMPLE: (and i am not saying that anyone has used these exact words but this is only for an example)

The entire 4th grade uses yellow duo-tang folders for Math because the books and workbooks are yellow. The teachers want to color coordinate because the students change classes and they might have students from 3 or 4 diffferent homerooms. If they color coordinate then each student can tell at a glance that they need to take all the yellow books to the other room. If everyone had all different types and colors then several kids are going to grab the wrong folder and then disrupt not only that class but the class they have to go to to get the correct folder.
Little Suzie's mom says...(That makes no sense...my snowflake wants Bella on her folder (that does not have the brads BTW) and I don't care what that stupid teacher wants. If my Suzie wants Bella then she will have Bella." (Hence the whining like a 2 year old)

An idea for those who put together the lists, might be to say something like '1 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow, folder-these are color coded for your child's subject.' Then it would make more 'sense' to parents wondering why the folders have to be a certain way.

OK school list experts..... My DD's list says

4 solid color pocket folders (red & green)

should I buy 4 reds and 4 greens
2 reds and 2 greens
1 red, 1 green, 2 my DD's choice
4 fancy Lisa Frank ones that my DD really wants?

2 reds and 2 greens

LOL! :confused: While I always buy my kids whatever the teacher and school wants, it's lists like this that have me standing in the aisle at Walmart, in a near-panic, walking in circles :eek:

I'd probably get the 4 reds, 4 greens, and 4 Lisa Frank ones. Then you're covered all ways :rotfl2:

I so strongly disagree with the posts suggesting that sports should be pay to play. For some students sports are crucial to academic success and emotional well being. And it creates school and community pride. I’m not saying that they need the latest and greatest equipment at the sacrifice of academics. But schools should be more than just places for book smarts.

I so strongly disagree with the posts suggesting that sports should be pay to play. For some students sports are crucial to academic success and emotional well being. And it creates school and community pride. I’m not saying that they need the latest and greatest equipment at the sacrifice of academics. But schools should be more than just places for book smarts.

I am in agreement. Sports shouldn't just be for the rich kids.

2 reds and 2 greens

I'd do 2 red, 2 green and 1 lisa frank one. Write her name in that one so it's not used as community supplies and if she gets to use it for the teacher cool - someone else can use one of the extra red/green ones, and if not she could use it to ferry homework back and forth in her bag.

Well, when schools spend as much money on things like math team and other academic extracurriculars, then I will support schools spending money on athletics. Pay for both or pay for neither.

An idea for those who put together the lists, might be to say something like '1 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow, folder-these are color coded for your child's subject.' Then it would make more 'sense' to parents wondering why the folders have to be a certain way.

Isn't is sort of obvious? :confused3

Isn't is sort of obvious? :confused3

One would think so. I have always understood that to be the reason.

But then again when I was in school (back in the dark ages) I used to color coordinate all my school supplies on my own.

Well, when schools spend as much money on things like math team and other academic extracurriculars, then I will support schools spending money on athletics. Pay for both or pay for neither.

Your statement suggests that all schools spend their money the same - which they don't. And that they should spend an equal amount of money on both - which they can't as one club may have 5 kids and another 30. And the financial needs of clubs vary. Student and community interest should also influence extracurricular activities.

Also if the kids in a club really want it bad enough it is really not that hard to fund raise. It's something athletic clubs also have to do. And the kids in athletics often pay for many things out of pocket as well if they can't fund raise for them. It's not a completely free ride.

On the other side of the spectrum.

I don't have ANY children and I think a good portion of my tax dollars
is going towards education. Over half of the town's budget.

So, I think at least you have children in the system and are getting something
for your money.

My co-worker's son (who lives in the same town) graduated with high honors and is well on his way to achieving
his goals in college (Villanova) . At least, that's there I see the results of my hard earned tax dollars.

This year it will be his 3rd year and he needed whatever he could get for the apartment he would share
with others. I happily gave what I could give. I'm proud of a young man who's not my child and I could
help in a small way. The special moment was his thank-you note to this lady who he doesn't know but
is friends with his mother. So don't quibble over the small stuff..you're doing very good things for your own.

Your moment of pride will be more than worth it.:thumbsup2

As I said in a PP, my kids all do the shared supplies in elementary, and that is fine with me. And I buy what is on their list, fine. But one thing I was talking with another mom about today is we have to buy siscors and fine, then they get pooled, fine , but where do they go at he end of the year? We can't use them again the next year cause they don't get them to bring home. :confused3 It's not the end of the world but I always do wonder.

As an elementary teacher I have to jump in on this.

By the end of the year they are mangled, dull, and barely hanging together. Usually I have bought 10 or more extra pair to replace the lost and broken ones (most of the time they stretch them waaaay out till the screw gives way). I have never made it through the school year without having to purchase extra folders, scissors, pencils, glue sticks, and markers. So if you really wanted a pair of used 69 cent scissors back at the end of the year I could probably scrounge some up and send a pair home but I would chuckle about it.

It is just infuriating and I may just change my policy and not pool anything (in my room we pool markers, glue sticks, pencils, index cards, and notebook paper). The students can now keep it all in their desks and when they run out they can borrow from a neighbor or use saved scraps. No extras available at all through my own money. And let me tell you some kids can go through 24 pencils in about a month and I'm sure the same parents who are griping now will not like getting a monthly email letting them know little Johnny needs more pencils and will be writing with my 1 inch saved nubs until she sends them. Because god forbid he should use something of mine or someone elses and/or not take home perfectly unused pencils at the end of the year.

I have also had parents complain that they couldn't bring in "cute" pencils or folders. I just tell them that if it's that important then they are certainly welcome to buck the system (said in a nicer way of course). With the pencils please send in a hand held sharpener because I sharpen all the pencils before school to avoid wasting classtime and most foil glitter etc don't work in my electric sharpener (which I've learned the hard way not to let the kids use - $60 of my money down the drain bc of someone stuffing crayons in it). If a special pencil is lost I can't take academic time to launch an investigation, interview witnesses, and take statements. So, if they will be terribly upset about this they should keep it at home. As for the folders it is definitely easier to say take out your green math folder. However, if Johnny must have a zebra print I will still just say take out your green math folder and he needs to be able to follow that direction as promptly as the other students. Also, if he gets confused which subject is "zebra" it will be his job to sort out his own papers and find missing objects, I won't take classtime to assist and take away from other's learning.

On the other side of the spectrum.

I don't have ANY children and I think a good portion of my tax dollars
is going towards education. Over half of the town's budget.

So, I think at least you have children in the system and are getting something
for your money.

as a Home Schooler, I always just assume I am paying the salary of friends and for my own education.:)

as a Home Schooler, I always just assume I am paying the salary of friends and for my own education.:)

I kind of use that logic when I see all that SS money taken out of my check. I look at it as I am paying for my parents, who are drawing SS now(and still both working:guilty:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter