Back to school *vent*

WildGrits

DIS Veteran
All I can say is OMG:scared1:

Here is a list of what my youngest DD 7th grade wants purchased for the school year.

9 Composition notebooks
Pen/Pencil Pouch
3 boxes of Tissues
Blue and black pens – for all classes
Pencils – for all classes
Loose Leaf paper – All Classes
Hand held pencil sharpener (no batteries)
3-3 ring binder 1 ½ inch
1 Three-subject notebook
Calculator (Texas Instruments TI-34II)
2 pads of yellow lined paper
1 box of colored markers
Post Its
1 roll of scotch tape
5 folders
and some smaller stuff

I do not mean to disrespect any teachers out there but, REALLY!?!?!

Spanish class even has crayons on the list.
Math class alone has listed 2 com books, 3 subject notebook and a binder. I am blown away.

Anyone else out there floored by this list?

Here is a list of what my youngest DD 7th grade wants purchased for the school year.

9 Composition notebooks
Pen/Pencil Pouch
3 boxes of Tissues
3-3 ring binder 1 ½ inch
1 Three-subject notebook
1 box of colored markers
Post Its
1 roll of scotch tape
5 folders
and some smaller stuff

Math class alone has listed 2 com books, 3 subject notebook and a binder. I am blown away.

What floors you about this list? It doesn't seem shocking at all to me...seems like a list of supplies your kid will need during the year. :confused3 Is it the number of notebooks and the one class requiring more than one notebook?

With the sales that are out there, I don't think it's going to cost you much...maybe the calculator if it is one of the more expensive ones. I would think you already have markers, pens, pencils, tape, etc.

My dd didn't receive a list, we just purchased what we think she will need. The things we purchase are pretty much the items on your list! ;) I always stock up at this time of year and buy extra notebooks, looseleaf, etc. when it is on sale. Then when she uses up her notebook pages in February we have one handy!
:)

Maybe looking at our long list will help you feel a bit less floored? I agree, it's overwhelming, and we don't go back to school til Sept 7, but we're shopping already because by the last 2 weeks of August the shelves really look very picked over.

SEVENTH & EIGHTH GRADE SUPPLY LIST
The students will be required to have the following items for the first week of school.
Supplies are to be replenished throughout the year.
Please label everything with your child’s name.

9 - 2 pocket folders - Math (1), Social Studies (1), Science (1), English (1), Religion (1), Art (1), Library (1), Spanish (1), Health (1)
3 one-subject notebooks with pockets (Science, Health, Music)
4 black & white marble notebooks (Religion, Health, Music, Spanish)
2 two-subject notebooks (LA, Social Studies)
1 three-ring binder with 5 dividers (Math)
2 packages of graph paper (Math, Science)
2 dozen pencils
12 pens (blue or black) and 1 red pen
1 highlighter
1 pencil case
12” ruler
1 protractor
1 compass
5 packages of loose leaf paper (college-ruled)
1 plastic pencil sharpener
1 box colored pencils
1 box each colored markers (1 box thick/1 box thin)
1 box of Crayola crayons (Art)
1 eraser (Art)
2 Glue sticks
1 TI 30X-IIS Mathematical calculator
*8-2 ONLY – TI 83 PLUS GRAPHING CALCULATOR
1 jump drive/memory stick (LA, Social Studies)
Spanish Dictionary
1 three-hole puncher

1 package of reinforcements for loose leaf
2 boxes of tissues
hand sanitizer

* For classroom use:
1 dozen of the pencils, 1 package of the graph paper, 2 packages of the loose leaf, and the 2boxes of tissues and hand sanitizer should be given to the student’s homeroom teacher on the first day of school

DS 9 & 11 (going into 4th & 6th) have pretty similar lists to the one posted. I hang on to the things they bring home at the end of the year (still need to go through them - but why rush:lmao:)

I don't mind buying the items if they're going to use them, but 1 year DS came home with 3 composition notebooks with only a couple pages used....ripped those pages out and he was good to go for the next year. BTW this was from the same teacher teacher that had us buy an extra folder, that she sent home on the first week explaining that we were to use it to keep all the parent letters from math....like that was going to happen:rotfl2: and this is coming from a math teacher (me) :laughing:

At our school we also need to bring in a package a copier paper for each child to help keep costs down

Maybe looking at our long list will help you feel a bit less floored? I agree, it's overwhelming, and we don't go back to school til Sept 7, but we're shopping already because by the last 2 weeks of August the shelves really look very picked over.

9 - 2 pocket folders - Math (1), Social Studies (1), Science (1), English (1), Religion (1), Art (1), Library (1), Spanish (1), Health (1)
3 one-subject notebooks with pockets (Science, Health, Music)
4 black & white marble notebooks (Religion, Health, Music, Spanish)music class really needs two notebooks?
2 two-subject notebooks (LA, Social Studies)
1 three-ring binder with 5 dividers (Math)
2 packages of graph paper (Math, Science)
2 dozen pencils
12 pens (blue or black) and 1 red pen
1 highlighter
1 pencil case
12” ruler
1 protractor
1 compass
5 packages of loose leaf paper (college-ruled)
1 plastic pencil sharpener
1 box colored pencils
1 box each colored markers (1 box thick/1 box thin)
1 box of Crayola crayons (Art)-----IN 7th Grade?????
1 eraser (Art)
2 Glue sticks-----IN 7th Grade????
1 TI 30X-IIS Mathematical calculator
*8-2 ONLY – TI 83 PLUS GRAPHING CALCULATOR
1 jump drive/memory stick (LA, Social Studies)-----TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS
Spanish Dictionary
1 three-hole puncher----OUTRAGEOUS
1 package of reinforcements for loose leaf----OUTRAGEOUS
2 boxes of tissues
hand sanitizer

* For classroom use:
1 dozen of the pencils, 1 package of the graph paper, 2 packages of the loose leaf, and the 2boxes of tissues and hand sanitizer should be given to the student’s homeroom teacher on the first day of school

I take it from the religious class that your child is going to a non-public school. From my experience, you pay a supply fee at the beginning of every year. Why in the world would a whole class need to by a three hole punch? And memory sticks?

For me the kicker was one class needing not one or replacements but a binder AND technically FIVE notebooks.

I don't want to sound like I think we have it worst than others. By the fact that I have a 7th and 9th grader, I am not new to the whole supply list. A few years back, a neighboring town put toilet paper and paper towels on their list. But it is wasteful. Year after year my kids come home with notebooks with not even half used. Halfway through the year we end up re-organizing our youngest and using a Trapper Keeper.

I don't mind buying the items if they're going to use them, but 1 year DS came home with 3 composition notebooks with only a couple pages used....ripped those pages out and he was good to go for the next year. BTW this was from the same teacher teacher that had us buy an extra folder, that she sent home on the first week explaining that we were to use it to keep all the parent letters from math....like that was going to happen:rotfl2: and this is coming from a math teacher (me) :laughing:

I guess that is really what my complaint is. I know darn well that 50% of it isn't going to get used. One year I ended up spending $70.

I hear ya! DD's list is very similar to OP's only she is going into 4th grade, however, the kicker for me is that she needs 100 sheet protectors for her portfolio!!! Seriously...100 sheet protectors? Those things are not cheap!! I feel bad for the children whose parents can't afford all that stuff!!

Trish

This is a tough situation for teachers and parents.

At the school I teach, we are now required to limit the supply list to $20. When you are looking at a required bookbag that doesn't leave you much wiggle room for other supplies.

So we are now ordering glue, crayons, pencils, etc from our yearly supply order. Doesn't sound like much, but when you also realize we have to buy construction paper, toner for the printer, etc. the $100 I get a year for my classroom doesn't go far either. And that $100 is cutting lowered every year too.

So as a teacher, you end up buying stuff yourself out of your own pocket and you try to figure out ways to go without. We no longer use markers in my classroom for that very reason!

I definitely see both sides- especially now that my son is in school!

Last year my son needed 100 sheet protectors - cost was $25.00 i refused to buy it!! i figured they could alwyas send me a note...he came home w/extras (not mine) i'm sure they ask kfor this everyyear and have way more than needed..

I hear ya! DD's list is very similar to OP's only she is going into 4th grade, however, the kicker for me is that she needs 100 sheet protectors for her portfolio!!! Seriously...100 sheet protectors? Those things are not cheap!! I feel bad for the children whose parents can't afford all that stuff!!

Trish

our list this year is:

6 Spiral notebooks
2 marble notebooks
6 DOC-IT folders (never even heard of these!)
1 box colored pencils
2- highlighters
12 blue pens
6 #2 pencils
2 packs index cards
1- pencil case
2- novel cloth book covers (reusables only) - not sure what novel book covers are either!!
4- reusable cloth textbook covers
1- dictionary
1- thesaurus
1- 9x12 sketchbook
12- ticonderoga pencils (ONLY ticonderoga please!)
2- white erasers (white only!)
5- plastic pocket folders (1 each of Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, White)
1- trapper keeper
1- pack looseleaf paper
1- 1" binder
1- novel of interest as needed for DEAR time
1- book bag or backpack (the girls use the aero tote type bags which she got as a grad. gift from a friend in June so we are good for this already!)

Supplies for ELO, English Lab, Math Lab, Academy must be purchased at school store. ( I have NO clue how much all this will cost!!!)

They usually end up needing a jump drive every year since 3rd grade too for computer class and for things in the classroom- last year in 5th they had to do a power point presentation at home and bring it to school so they needed the jump drive!

The schools must now provide the graphing calculator if they want the kids to have them- they were taken to court and can no longer require parents to buy those things!

I have 4 children and the lists used to be as detailed a those that have been posted. The school would post a basic list, but then the teachers would "enhance" that list. Last year, the BOE squashed the enhanced lists - the teachers were limited to the basic list only. Guess what? My kids still came home with unused items. I just hit Target....marble composition books for .$50, spiral notebooks for $.15 (yes, fifteen cents and my highschooler was told to put back the fancy ones for $1.50 and get the plain ones), glue sticks for $.25, colored pencils for $.94. I didn't purchase folders because they bought the Mead plastic ones last year. At the end of the school year, they were in great shape, so they're waiting in the backpacks for a second use. DS13 was required to get a TI calculator (he attends the American Boychoir School), so I took the hit on that last year. DS14 was issued one from her teachers in middle school, and I'm assuming she'll get one in high school.

As for the tissues, toilet paper, and paper towels mentioned, we were only asked to send in a box of tissues in the beginning of the year. That stopped last year as well. If they had a stuffy nose, I send them with their own tissues.

I think these lists have gotten out of hand, but I'm glad my school district restricted them. Maybe if enough parents complain, your district will do the same thing.

Check the Walgreen's & CVS flyers (and office supply stores too) in conjunction with some of the coupon blogging sites and you can get many of the school supply items for pennies and free.

We bought so much last year when we started couponing, that we only have to buy a few things this year for our kids. And we paid next to nothing for a large portion of what we bought last year.

The only part of the lists that really bother me is the really specific stuff - like "Ticonderoga" pencils on that one list - really? It almost makes you think someone in the school has a connection with the company. A pencil is a pencil.

My DD 7th grade has been in school for the last several weeks (year round here in NC) Anyway, that looks about right on what we had to purchase, except we had to buy a TI 83 or TI 84 (she's in advanced math). They have these calculators at school for them to use so we said if that is the case use the schools at school and keep your $100 calculator home for your homework. This was my highest back to school bill yet also have a 5th grader with a long list.

I'm not sure why one of the posters thinks that crayons and glue sticks are weird in 7th grade. Even in high school my kids have used those for projects.

And what is so outrageous about a jump drive? They're pretty practical and my kids use them ALL the time to transfer project files back and forth from school to home and vice-versa. In today's technological classroom, a jump drive is really a no-brainer.

OP, sad to say, your list looks comparatively reasonable. We've gotten much worse. For my dd who is in jr. high, all her supplies have to be color coded by subject, which makes the whole thing that much more agonizing.

What is it with the marble composition notebooks? We always are required to provide 6-10. They are typically used just enough so that it's awkward to reuse them, but if the kids are only going to use 10 pages all year, do they really need a separate notebook?

What galls me are the supplies that exist nowhere in the universe, like the packages of 7 3/16" x 2 12/13" puce and ecru Post-its. After trips to Office Max, Target, Staples, and local stationery stores, I think they should provide the teacher's home phone number so we can invite him or her to accompany us on our shopping trips.

The only part of the lists that really bother me is the really specific stuff - like "Ticonderoga" pencils on that one list - really? It almost makes you think someone in the school has a connection with the company. A pencil is a pencil.

My kids are in college now but I always bought Ticonderoga pencils. We thought they were so much better than the other pencils. They wrote darker and lasted longer than the other pencils. One year I bought the cheapest pencils and they broke right away and were not even worth the cheap price I paid. I went out and bought Ticonderoga ones. I know I'm sad.

My college kids now have to have mechanical pencils and they are really specific as to the lead size and what pencil to buy. But they are engineering majors and do a lot of calculations with pencil.

I guess we are pencil geeks (among lots of other things lol!)

Well - I've seen some pretty ridiculous supply lists but that doesn't seem that bad to me. Target, Walmart etc practically give much of that stuff away this time of year.

Tell her to take care of the stuff and you can re-use the Calculator, protractor, ruler, usb drive etc for a couple of years.

I feel bad for the children whose parents can't afford all that stuff!!

Trish

I am a school employee and this is why the list is so big. So many parents do not send in anything and with school budget cuts, teachers have no classroom money to spend, so they add it to "the list" !!

DD's list is huge. Our DS is 5 years older and he had no list when he was in middle school, only things like what type of calculator. DD list has 15 pkg's of college ruled paper on it and looks similar to those above.We spent about $75 the other day using adds and price matching and haven't even bought the calculator yet.

My first graders list is clearly going to be pooled and shared amongst the entire class. Things like 3-24ct crayons, 5 pkgs looseleaf paper, etc. I always stock up and have more than enough on hand from last year as far as notebooks, composition books, etc

BTW, Walmart has comp books for 25cents, glue sticks 2packs for 25cents.....just check your store flyers parents and you can get some really awesome buys. 1 subject notebooks at Target for 15cents..........

We have 4 kids to buy for and after all these years of buying supplies nothing bothers me EXCEPT buying supplies for an entire classroom and then my kids comes home and doesnt have what he/she needs to work!

9 Composition notebooks
Pen/Pencil Pouch
3 boxes of Tissues
3-3 ring binder 1 ½ inch
1 Three-subject notebook
1 box of colored markers
Post Its
1 roll of scotch tape
5 folders
and some smaller stuff

That seems reasonable to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter