Back to school *vent*

Well I guess you wouldn't be happy with our school when it comes time for the yearly "smencil" sale! Those kids are sniffing those things in class for days LOL. The teachers buy them too to give out as prizes to the kids.

How is it that sports shouldn't just be for "rich kids" but drama club etc SHOULD be?? My friends daughter in drama club last year (which my daughter will be in this year) needed 6 change of costumes for the play which are all bought out of pocket- came to almost 500.00-they are also not allowed to fundraise or charge admission to the plays to offset the costume and set charges (they say that wouldn't be fair if all the kids and families couldn't afford to come!). There is a double standard when it comes to sports and all other clubs and activities. I believe that they should be paying to play sports as well as any other "club" type activity. Taxpayer money should be going to education- not other activities. If my child wanted to do something I would sure as heck scrap together money to pay for it- save oever the summer etc...I don't expect taxpayers to pay for my kids school drama club, newspaper club, computer club, critics club etc...
If you join any sports or other activities outside of school you pay- should be the same for school.

But in comparison to most of these clubs they do not cost the school district as much as the sports do. Newspaper club takes place at school and does not need the extra money to pay for transportation where as sports do. So yes, a fee should be charged for these kids to play sports. Shoot, we have to pay out for field trips mainly for the bus transportation costs. My daughter in BETA has to pay a fee to belong and this year she plans to join Y-club which again costs to join and then costs for the Youth assembly where they take over the capital and write/pass bills. It is a great learning opportunity but I have to pay out of pocket for that while none of the parents have to pay for their kids to join the sports teams here. Oh yeah, and my kids do sports outside of school which I pay for as well.

I hadn't thought about it, but it is pretty sad that my class cannot take more field trips because of the bus cost, while somehow the bus costs for sports teams to travel all over the state are covered.:confused3

I hadn't thought about it, but it is pretty sad that my class cannot take more field trips because of the bus cost, while somehow the bus costs for sports teams to travel all over the state are covered.:confused3

The saddest part in this district was a few years ago when 3 schools (high school, middle school, and elementary all on the same road) got out of school for a day because the basketball team went to state and they did not have to make the day up. About 2 weeks later my son's teacher died suddenly of a heart attack and the school board was denying that school closure for the day of the funeral. The teacher who passed away had been with this school system for many years and had a positive effect on many, many kids. There never should have been such a fight to close the school for a funeral especially since this district does not have enough subs for a one whole school. In the end the school board did allow the school to close but it took such a fight. The schools that closed for that particular high school going to the state tournament had no such fight. Another example of sports coming first here especially basketball.

The saddest part in this district was a few years ago when 3 schools (high school, middle school, and elementary all on the same road) got out of school for a day because the basketball team went to state and they did not have to make the day up. About 2 weeks later my son's teacher died suddenly of a heart attack and the school board was denying that school closure for the day of the funeral. The teacher who passed away had been with this school system for many years and had a positive effect on many, many kids. There never should have been such a fight to close the school for a funeral especially since this district does not have enough subs for a one whole school. In the end the school board did allow the school to close but it took such a fight. The schools that closed for that particular high school going to the state tournament had no such fight. Another example of sports coming first here especially basketball.

To be perfectly honest. Sports are about the money they bring in. In high school, football is big money. Not just from gate admissions and concessions, but from donors who want to see thier alma mater win. I sponsor academic teams at my school and get NO money for anything for them. If we do it, we pay for it. We cannot even buy the resource books needed for the kids to study. I end up using my own money and prowling used book sites to get them. The football team get t-shirts, practice shorts, gym bags, shoes, and one new set of jerseys every year with no out of pocket form the boys. They don't pay for busses or pregame meals. There are 90 players on the team!!

To be perfectly honest. Sports are about the money they bring in. In high school, football is big money. Not just from gate admissions and concessions, but from donors who want to see thier alma mater win. I sponsor academic teams at my school and get NO money for anything for them. If we do it, we pay for it. We cannot even buy the resource books needed for the kids to study. I end up using my own money and prowling used book sites to get them. The football team get t-shirts, practice shorts, gym bags, shoes, and one new set of jerseys every year with no out of pocket form the boys. They don't pay for busses or pregame meals. There are 90 players on the team!!

Just a note... High School football is not big money everywhere. The south seems to have the biggest support for high school football. I know where I went to high school (and other surrounding schools) they were happy to have much of anyone in the stands besides for homecoming.

I still say all athletic extracurriculars should be pay to play. Heck, in many schools not even all the teams get the same things. If football deserves to have their trips payed for and new jerseys and equipment, so does the soccer team... or the tennis team, or the math teams. The schools will balk at this and say they don't have the money to help everyone out. So, help no one and make the people who want to participate pay to do so. No one student is better then any other student... so all should get the same.

I guess that is really what my complaint is. I know darn well that 50% of it isn't going to get used. One year I ended up spending $70.

Gee it seems so odd that a list is put out. I remember buying cloth book protectors, ring binder, paper, the hole punch divider pockets,

The marble books, I just got for myself from WalMart at 25 cents each and 15 cents for portfolio items.

A lot of stuff, you can get on Emailer list for staples and office max for coupons and get tons off too..

My dd cyber schools and everything is sent to us including the computer, printer, extra ink, are supplies, science experiment items. mailers to the school, I buy the computer paper at Walmart for $2,50 right now.
OH, and the Internet connection, three times a year we are reimbursed :thumbsup2

Even school clothes I save on as she is muiti casual as her classes, although a live lesson are not skpe type video.
Best thing, the funding is 0, zero. zip! THe cost comes from what the school district would have received for her.

As there are no bussing issues, snow days, the district has savings on the budget. Books appear brand new each year, many classes have lots of trips, and there are field trips about once a month.
Kids move at their own pace and can be in their individulised needs met.
Faster pace, of if tutoring is needed, special needs, highly gifted, etc.

We went to this after bullying in 6th grade developed school phobia, and anxiety/panic.

But the most I need, is printer paper, pencils, calculator or use the one on the computer, even the art needs are provided.

:surfweb:

WOW. I used to be one of those parents who complained about "the list". (I still don't understand why my 6th grader needs masking tape). I now look at things differently. Even after buying everything on the list, paying school fees, and purchasing a few extras for the classroom, it still averages out to about $1 per day. A buck a day for my child to receive an education and make new friends. 100 pennies a day for my child to learn how lucky he is compared to the children of some countries he will be stuyding. One lousy dollar each day for my child to become a better person. "The List" isn't nearly as important to me now as the education he gets while using supplies from the list.

Gee it seems so odd that a list is put out. I remember buying cloth book protectors, ring binder, paper, the hole punch divider pockets,

The marble books, I just got for myself from WalMart at 25 cents each and 15 cents for portfolio items.

A lot of stuff, you can get on Emailer list for staples and office max for coupons and get tons off too..

My dd cyber schools and everything is sent to us including the computer, printer, extra ink, are supplies, science experiment items. mailers to the school, I buy the computer paper at Walmart for $2,50 right now.
OH, and the Internet connection, three times a year we are reimbursed :thumbsup2

Even school clothes I save on as she is muiti casual as her classes, although a live lesson are not skpe type video.
Best thing, the funding is 0, zero. zip! THe cost comes from what the school district would have received for her.

As there are no bussing issues, snow days, the district has savings on the budget. Books appear brand new each year, many classes have lots of trips, and there are field trips about once a month.
Kids move at their own pace and can be in their individulised needs met.
Faster pace, of if tutoring is needed, special needs, highly gifted, etc.

We went to this after bullying in 6th grade developed school phobia, and anxiety/panic.

But the most I need, is printer paper, pencils, calculator or use the one on the computer, even the art needs are provided.

:surfweb:

I wish our state offered such programs. They offer no internet schooling options here at all.

WOW I don't remember even having a list for middle school. I just got what I thought was needed a 3 ring binder, loose leaf paper, a few non-spiral notebooks(my preference but sometimes got 5 subject books and used same one for note taking in all classes and got another later or bought 2-3 for the year) and pens and pencils and waited for first day to see if any teachers had requests.

Is it maybe a "Suggestions" list for a years worth of stuff? Weird!

But I had a long list for my 2nd grader so I feel ya. This is a public charter "arts" school.

1 standard sized backpack no wheels
3 folders with prongs
1 primary comp book with lines and top space for drawing
1 notebook by mead(it was rather specific list)
1 frisco(I think she meant Fiskars) scissors.
1 box tissue(not too bad)
1 pack of dry erase markers(take she is getting stocked up)
2 packs of pencils
2 WHITE erasers(had a look for these)
1 box washable markers
1 box pencil crayons(I guess colored pencils)
4 pack clue sticks (Clear) lol
2 boxes 24 count crayongs
1 package of multi color construction paper

Something may be missing but she was asking for donations of loose leaf paper, hand sanitizer, and wipes.

Plus she will be bringing lunch from home so needed a lunchbox

Didn't need 9 comp books though that is a lot. I don't know when these things became the go to item for schools. I never once had a comp book just regular ring notebooks or the kind without the ring/spirals are actually what I preferred. I hated those spirals getting caught on everything.

I almost got the poly folders for dd because I now how quickly she tears up the paper ones. If she breaks them I will buy the sturdy ones and replace them. That is if its something she ever brings home.

Last year in Florida she had a shorter list. And in K at this same charter school she is in now they were providing all the supplies that year which was nice compared to the lists they have now.

Just a note... High School football is not big money everywhere. The south seems to have the biggest support for high school football. I know where I went to high school (and other surrounding schools) they were happy to have much of anyone in the stands besides for homecoming.

I was wondering what the heck she was talking about with football bringing in money! Homecoming some people show up to but other than that at the games the only ones stuck watching those are the kids parents...no one else would voluntarily sit through high school football! Oh and the cheerleaders parents sometimes go to watch their own kids cheer at the games LOL...thats about it. If they actually charged to see a game no one would be there!

We have boosters that raise the money for the football team. And every game is sold out, sometimes before game day! Everything else is pay to play. I would love to see extracurriculars covered, as I said earlier. In an era of rising childhood obesity, it would be very helpful to have all kids involved in physical activity after a day of sitting. Groups like theater really need to consider the costs of a play, imo. There is no reason to pick plays with expensive costumes. Our co op put on "Our Town" for about $200 total. It is a shame that academic groups like debate have to cover their own expenses, also. It really does increase the gap between those who have and those who don't. Most colleges look at these activities as much as the academic history.

I think it is sad that the school wouldn't/couldn't close easily for the funeral. I suspect it had to do with the fact it had never come up before, and there was no written policy. Those stupid policies can make life easier or more difficult.

It is amusing to have teachers saying they won't go on a pencil hunt ((justifiably) but telling us about these wonderful new pencils that I have to hunt down now.

This thread has gone in a totally different drection since I first read. Not sure if anyone told OP this, I read a couple paes but there is just too much (no offense!) But the deals at Staples this week are really good. You can get a 2gig flash drive for $1 after the rebate. My oldest had 2 and was going to give one to DD11 who will need one for middle school, but for that much I got it. Really, your list wouldn't cost you that muc at all if you went to Staples. They really are amazing this time of year with the deals.

Our problem is that we have huge lists (K, 2nd and 4th grades) but we don't get them until meet the teacher day. Which is the day before school starts. So they expect us to all meet the teachers then run out that afternoon with three kids to Target along with every other mom I know trying to find the same stuff!

I did buy some stuff I knew would be on the lists a few weeks ago. Thanks for the Staples information- we're on vacation now but will be back before the week is over so i will run there and try to grab some stuff.

Our problem is that we have huge lists (K, 2nd and 4th grades) but we don't get them until meet the teacher day. Which is the day before school starts. So they expect us to all meet the teachers then run out that afternoon with three kids to Target along with every other mom I know trying to find the same stuff!

I did buy some stuff I knew would be on the lists a few weeks ago. Thanks for the Staples information- we're on vacation now but will be back before the week is over so i will run there and try to grab some stuff.

We get ours in April for the coming September. Why don't you just explain to the school that giving the lists out so late is a hardship for parents and can they please send them out earlier in the summer? Ours get posted to the school web site in June. Plus, all the local Targets print off the lists and have big stacks of them in the back to school area.

I was wondering what the heck she was talking about with football bringing in money! Homecoming some people show up to but other than that at the games the only ones stuck watching those are the kids parents...no one else would voluntarily sit through high school football! Oh and the cheerleaders parents sometimes go to watch their own kids cheer at the games LOL...thats about it. If they actually charged to see a game no one would be there!
It is about $10 a head here. And they rake in money. We sold out several playoff games last year. Boosters donate large amounts of money, specificlly for football every year. The funds are earmarked and cannot be used elswhere, so yes it is big money here that does not get spread around.

Another thing about Staples this week. If you spend $5 you can buy up to 5 packs of loose leaf paper for a penny each. They had 2gig MP3 players for $10 each and we got them for the kids for our trip. I had each kid buy their own and each et 5 packs of paper plus I got them with our school supllies. That is a great deal! :thumbsup2

We get ours in April for the coming September. Why don't you just explain to the school that giving the lists out so late is a hardship for parents and can they please send them out earlier in the summer? Ours get posted to the school web site in June. Plus, all the local Targets print off the lists and have big stacks of them in the back to school area.

We used to get ours in the mail with the teacher/room assignment the last week in August. Now they send it home in June with the final report card. :thumbsup2

Just for comparison, here are links to school supply lists for the ISDs that the kids I work with go to:
Grand Prairie Texas ISD Elementary List

Dallas Texas ISD Elementary List

Fort Worth Texas ISD Elementary List

Arlington Texas ISD School Main List

Mansfield ISD Elementary List

Additionally in Texas, we have a Tax Free weekend where for the past couple of years you do not have to pay taxes on clothes or school supplies under $100. The list of school supplies covered is on a PDF here: 2009 Tax Free School Supply List This year the Tax Free weekend is August 20-22.

Cities (Grand Prairie and Dallas that I know of) also collect school supplies, and then give them out in packets/parcels to children who's families qualify (under a certain amount of income, etc.). That still doesn't stop any of the teachers I know (or librarians for that matter, school or public) from having to supply things out of their own pockets that are used in the classroom.

We have a 3rd and 5th grader and bought the pre-packaged supplies from Kroger yesterday... $45 for each pack. Still have a 6th grader and 11th grader to buy for! 6th grader picks up her schedule tomorrow and there will be "a limited number of packs available to purchase" from the school. I plan on buying a pack if there are any. It will be $50 plus $11 for art class. :eek: I HATE supply shopping! There's always at least one thing on the list that I can't seem to find anywhere. It really stinks when teachers ask for particular folder COLORS and there's always at least ONE color that I can't find. So now I just buy the packs. (Never remember to pre-order at the end of the school year, though... hopefully, I'll remember this year!) 11th grader gets very basic stuff and then gets her lists the first day of school from all of her teachers.

We have the same problem. We don't get the lists until back to school night -- which is the night before school starts. So we get done with back to school night around 6pm and then it is off to Staples/Target to get the things they need. I try to make my best guess but there are always things on the list I didn't anticipate.

I don't care about all their excuses about why they "can't" give us the information earlier. There is just no justification for making us jump through so many hoops so we can have our kids ready for the first day of school. :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter