• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Australia Trip Report 2015

We're sitting in Sydney airport waiting for our flight home reflecting back. It was an amazing trip. All my ABD trips have been incredible (France, China, SE Asia, Backstage Magic), but I have to say I think this one was my favorite. China and SE Asia had better hotels and perhaps better restaurants. They all have their iconic landmarks - Great Wall, Terra Cotta Warriors, Angkor Wat, Great Barrier Reef and Uluru. However, there's something about the people of Australia and their culture that made his trip so awesome. Before I left, I was wondering if it would be worth it to travel so far and arrive at a destination not entirely different from home. While it's not exotic SE Asia, it is a world apart from America. There's such a unique way of life that's set upon a landscape that for the most part is totally different from back home. It's absolutely worth visiting.

Now I really cant wait to get there! :)

Great to hear. I would love to see New Zealand. There was one family on our tour that did a "post trip" to New Zealand for a week. Tasmania was incredible, but they could just as well change to New Zealand. The flight time would end up being about the same I think... more on that later. And even if they kept it to 4 days in NZ like Tassie, guests could easily add post days. Seems like a easy change that might make the ABD more popular.[/QUOTE]

I truly wish Disney would combine Australia and New Zealand. But for now, we'll have to do it via another method. We already have the bungy jump off the Kawarau bridge scheduled :-).

One correction regarding the Uluru hotel: I was looking up the A&K website and they stay at the Sails in the Desert in their "Luxury Small Group Journeys". However, they stay in the Desert Gardens (same as ABD) in their "Connections Group Journeys". "Luxury Small Group Journeys" start at $683 per person per day. "Connections Group Journeys" starts at $524. ABD starts at about $632.

Nevertheless, ABD should be staying at the Sails in the Desert at their price point IMO.

I truly wish Disney would combine Australia and New Zealand. But for now, we'll have to do it via another method. We already have the bungy jump off the Kawarau bridge scheduled :-).

Agreed. New Zealand would be very cool. Although I don't think I'm brave enough for bungy jumping!

Day 8 - Sydney to Freycinet (Tasmania)

This morning was EARLY. Really early. Our destination was Launceston in northern Tasmania. From there we would drive to Freycinet on the northeast coast of Tasmania. The problem is earlier this year Qantas stopped flying directly from Sydney to Launceston. Now you have to change in Melbourne. Did I mention we left early? We made our way to the airport just fine. However, our original flight out of Sydney was cancelled the night before and we were placed on a slightly later flight. I kind of wonder if we would have had to leave even earlier if it had not been cancelled. Hmm. Possibly a blessing in disguise. It made our connection time in Melbourne very tight. We ended arriving late into Melbourne. The flight attendants announced on the Melbourne flight that those on the Launceston flight should proceed immediately to their next flight! Everyone towards the front of the plane walked very quickly from one side of Melbourne airport to the extreme opposite side (it seemed) to reach the Launceston flight. God bless Suzamber - they were seated towards the back of the plane and ran with some other guests to catch the flight. The only reason we made the flight was they held the plane for us. Our group was half the flight.

So this is my wild theory combined with wishful thinking. It took 2 flights and approximately 4 hours to get from Sydney to Tasmania. New Zealand can be reached direct from Sydney in 3 hrs. Tasmania is absolutely amazing as I'll discuss later, but it doesn't get quite the interest from prospective guests that New Zealand does. If you were in charge of ABD would you continue the adventure in Tasmania or would you reorganize it to start or end in New Zealand??

Back to the trip: We made it across the ocean and down to Tasmania. From the airport we took the coach to Hollybank Zip Line Adventures. It was amazing. My DS and I have never been zip lining before. It was so amazing! The zip lining was so cool, and you're soaring through a Eucalyptus forest and over a stream. It was beautiful. Gavin did not make the weight (I didn't expect him to) so he and I rode tandem. We had lots of fun and I can't wait to try it again.

From there we drove to the Freycinet Lodge. You could tell Tasmania was going to be a lot different from everywhere else we've visited. We were driving through a dense forest with lots of ups and downs and windy roads. We were told it was beautiful, but it was nighttime when we arrived. The Lodge itself was very nice. It was a little like a ski lodge with lots of wood, a big fireplace, and lots of windows overlooking.... something. We stayed in individual cabins. They were nice and cozy.

Dinner was meh... We may have arrived a bit early, or the guides could tell we were tired so they asked if we could eat early (by about an hour) which was no problem. The food seemed good on paper - steak, fish, etc but it wasn't very impressive in execution. The following night we ordered from a menu and it was quite good. They had some great desserts though - cheesecakes that other guests said were really good and a mixed berry dessert which I had and was very good.

We found our way to our cabin and crashed. It had been long day.

I don't have any photos for today. I can't remember the last time that's happened on a vacation. We couldn't take our camera on the zip line. Once Suzamber's photos are uploaded, I'll try to remember to add a few photos.

Edit - here are some pics from our day of zip lining -

20268183980_015e2b43a8_c.jpg

19833650214_c47f3e3091_c.jpg

19833649244_4f1616aaf6_c.jpg

Last edited:
Day 8 - Sydney to Freycinet (Tasmania)

This morning was EARLY. Really early. Our destination was Launceston in northern Tasmania. From there we would drive to Freycinet on the northeast coast of Tasmania. The problem is earlier this year Qantas stopped flying directly from Sydney to Launceston. Now you have to change in Melbourne. Did I mention we left early? We made our way to the airport just fine. However, our original flight out of Sydney was cancelled the night before and we were placed on a slightly later flight. I kind of wonder if we would have had to leave even earlier if it had not been cancelled. Hmm. Possibly a blessing in disguise. It made our connection time in Melbourne very tight. We ended arriving late into Melbourne. The flight attendants announced on the Melbourne flight that those on the Launceston flight should proceed immediately to their next flight! Everyone towards the front of the plane walked very quickly from one side of Melbourne airport to the extreme opposite side (it seemed) to reach the Launceston flight. God bless Suzamber - they were seated towards the back of the plane and ran with some other guests to catch the flight. The only reason we made the flight was they held the plane for us. Our group was half the flight.

So this is my wild theory combined with wishful thinking. It took 2 flights and approximately 4 hours to get from Sydney to Tasmania. New Zealand can be reached direct from Sydney in 3 hrs. Tasmania is absolutely amazing as I'll discuss later, but it doesn't get quite the interest from prospective guests that New Zealand does. If you were in charge of ABD would you continue the adventure in Tasmania or would you reorganize it to start or end in New Zealand??

Back to the trip: We made it across the ocean and down to Tasmania. From the airport we took the coach to Hollybank Zip Line Adventures. It was amazing. My DS and I have never been zip lining before. It was so amazing! The zip lining was so cool, and you're soaring through a Eucalyptus forest and over a stream. It was beautiful. Gavin did not make the weight (I didn't expect him to) so he and I rode tandem. We had lots of fun and I can't wait to try it again.

From there we drove to the Freycinet Lodge. You could tell Tasmania was going to be a lot different from everywhere else we've visited. We were driving through a dense forest with lots of ups and downs and windy roads. We were told it was beautiful, but it was nighttime when we arrived. The Lodge itself was very nice. It was a little like a ski lodge with lots of wood, a big fireplace, and lots of windows overlooking.... something. We stayed in individual cabins. They were nice and cozy.

Dinner was meh... We may have arrived a bit early, or the guides could tell we were tired so they asked if we could eat early (by about an hour) which was no problem. The food seemed good on paper - steak, fish, etc but it wasn't very impressive in execution. The following night we ordered from a menu and it was quite good. They had some great desserts though - cheesecakes that other guests said were really good and a mixed berry dessert which I had and was very good.

We found our way to our cabin and crashed. It had been long day.

I don't have any photos for today. I can't remember the last time that's happened on a vacation. We couldn't take our camera on the zip line. Once Suzamber's photos are uploaded, I'll try to remember to add a few photos.

A change to New Zealand would be fantastic! We are booked for June 2016--may be too late with contracts/bookings etc to make such a substantial change for 2016, but if it happened I wouldn't complain. (Hello ABD?) Enjoying your report!

One correction regarding the Uluru hotel: I was looking up the A&K website and they stay at the Sails in the Desert in their "Luxury Small Group Journeys". However, they stay in the Desert Gardens (same as ABD) in their "Connections Group Journeys". "Luxury Small Group Journeys" start at $683 per person per day. "Connections Group Journeys" starts at $524. ABD starts at about $632.

Nevertheless, ABD should be staying at the Sails in the Desert at their price point IMO.
Sometimes they *can't* stay at the "best" hotels. Everyone kept saying we should have stayed at the El Tovar at the Grand Canyon, but one of our Guides told us that El Tovar would not work with ABD. They're always sold out ages in advance, and wouldn't allow Disney to book a large block of rooms. Maybe the same is true for the Sails in the Desert. A&K could manage a small group, but perhaps ABD couldn't manage a large group.

Or maybe they just don't want to pay the money. Who knows? :confused3

Sayhello

A change to New Zealand would be fantastic! We are booked for June 2016--may be too late with contracts/bookings etc to make such a substantial change for 2016, but if it happened I wouldn't complain. (Hello ABD?) Enjoying your report!
I agree! That's the one thing that's keeping me from booking this ABD. If I go that far, I *have* to see New Zealand, which would push this trip to 2 1/2 or 3 weeks, and I just can't manage that until I'm retired...

Sayhello

Sometimes they *can't* stay at the "best" hotels. Everyone kept saying we should have stayed at the El Tovar at the Grand Canyon, but one of our Guides told us that El Tovar would not work with ABD. They're always sold out ages in advance, and wouldn't allow Disney to book a large block of rooms. Maybe the same is true for the Sails in the Desert. A&K could manage a small group, but perhaps ABD couldn't manage a large group.

Or maybe they just don't want to pay the money. Who knows? :confused3

Sayhello

That's a fair point. I think A&K small groups max out at 18 guests.

I believe the El Tovar did not have AC. When we were at the Grand Canyon it was around 120 degrees and believe me all I wanted in a room at that time was AC.

I agree 100%. Most other family group tour companies include the tips in the price of the trip. Plus ABD total group numbers are almost double compared to others with the costs of the trip are maybe a third higher (if that) than others. Bottom line ABD is probably making more per person than others so I would think ABD could afford the better rooms.

The addition of New Zealand would definitely be a bonus for us. I agree with SayHello...if we're going to go that far it would be nice to add New Zealand. However, I'm also eager to hear about Tasmania. We love zip lining and do it every chance we get. When we ziplined in Puerto Rico we brought our Go Pro and attached it to my helmet. It was awesome! Telling my husband about the zipline was actually one of the things he really liked about this trip. Plus, my PI in grad school is from Melbourne, so I would definitely want time there,but that could easily be done pre-ABD and not post. I guess I'll just wait and see what the itinerary is like when we can actually consider it in a couple of years.

Last edited:
I believe the El Tovar did not have AC. When we were at the Grand Canyon it was around 120 degrees and believe me all I wanted in a room at that time was AC.
According to their website, and tripadvisor, they do have A/C. What they didn't use to have was TVs, but the website now indicates they have satellite TVs. Not a big deal for me, but a lot of people wouldn't be happy with no TV... But I guess the A/C might also be new.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Hey, Cousin Orville!! I just read your trip report and it's awesome!! Very nice photos too. Gavin looks much bigger now and thinning out compared to previous photos. :) It gives me some ideas for our ABD next year as well. It's a late response since we just got back from our fabulous cruise.

Few questions, how much was the helicopter ride on the GBR? Were the water activities included in the itinerary? Were you provided with dry suits? I'm relieved with the enclosed area. It's not box jellyfish season this time but you'll never know with the changing climate and all, animals are behaving differently.

Did anyone in the group climb the Harbour Bridge? The itinerary says the guide can help arrange it since I don't know the timing and all if I were to book it ahead.

Thanks!!!

That's a fair point. I think A&K small groups max out at 18 guests.

Tauck has 2 Australia itineraries and both stay at Sails in the Desert. One itinerary has 7 departures and the other has 35, four of which are small groups (24 people). All of the others are just regular trips and I think the max for Tauck is 40. If it's a small hotel, maybe ABD doesn't want to get in a bidding war with Tauck and A&K and eat into their profits.

On another subject, how were the temperatures in the various areas you visited? We have plans for next year, but I'm seriously considering Australia for 2017. I booked the Australia ABD in 2009, and it was cancelled, but Australia has always remained on my short list. Not considering ABD any longer, and I'm pretty sure we would also visit New Zealand. I've looked at the average temps, but from experience I know that sometimes you think it will be chilly, but because of the humidity or something it turns out not to be so bad. We could go at Christmas break, but I would rather have more time, and airfare is super high around the holidays. So I think summer (i.e., Australia's winter) is going to be our best option. You're used to hot and humid like we are, so if you were comfortable maybe we would be too. :)

I agree 100%. Most other family group tour companies include the tips in the price of the trip. Plus ABD total group numbers are almost double compared to others with the costs of the trip are maybe a third higher (if that) than others. Bottom line ABD is probably making more per person than others so I would think ABD could afford the better rooms.

I agree wholeheartedly. I really hope they change the hotel in Uluru.

I also suggested on my survey that they include WiFi in the hotel rooms in Sydney (a minor issue but one that is easily remedied).

I also agree with Cousin Orville about maybe going to New Zealand instead of Tasmania. Though I really did love Tasmania, I would have liked to have seen NZ as well. When we go back to Australia we will definitely go to NZ. It was very tricky for us with flights to add it at the beginning or the end of our trip this year. From people I talked in Sydney to it would really require at least 3 or 4 days to do it justice.

According to their website, and tripadvisor, they do have A/C. What they didn't use to have was TVs, but the website now indicates they have satellite TVs. Not a big deal for me, but a lot of people wouldn't be happy with no TV... But I guess the A/C might also be new.

Sayhello

That's good to know about the AC. I remember a lot of open windows at the time of our tour. Maybe it was just out of commission. I agree with you Sayhello that considering one of the greatest natural wonders is just outside your window I, for one, will spend my time enjoying the beautiful view not watching the "boob-tube". I even don't get upset about no wi-fi but I only request the second to last evening hotel has internet so I can check in for our airline home.

Day 9 - Freycinet (Tasmania)

This morning did not start out well... After waking up and getting ready, I realized I couldn't find my wallet. I'm obsessive compulsive about organization, so it was quite a blow that I had lost track of it somewhere. I had purchased hats yesterday at the zip line place, so it was lost somewhere between now and then. This made it all the more frustrating, because there weren't a lot of places or situations for it to be lost. Suzamber was wonderful and looked all around and made phone calls, but unfortunately it was never found. The good new was the vast majority of my cash and passports were kept separate - in case it this would happen. I only wish I had kept a CC separated as well as I usually do. After not finding it during the day I ended up wiring myself more money to Hobart (our next stop) to make sure I still had plenty for shopping, meals, and tips. That ended up working very well. Thankfully, after I arrived home I found I had taken out and kept at home a lot of my little cards - WDW annual pass, tables in wonderland, personal photos, etc. I was relieved to see them. Just the wallet itself (which I will miss) and my license and CC's. Standing in line for 2 hrs at the DMV getting a new DL was fun the week :) Oh well. That's life I suppose. We didn't let it spoil our trip.

The view from the lodge was magnificent as was the weather. The night before the forecast for this morning's kayaking was 1 degree, and no one was interested. It was crisp not not near that cold, so most guests ended up doing the kayaking. It was awesome! Cole's Bay that you kayak in was incredibly beautiful. The water was a bit rough with waves, so it was tough for me to get started in the kayak. They pushed me and Gavin out to sea from the beach but the waves pushed us right back to shore! The guide gave us another push, and we made it. We kayaked out into the bay and around to another beach where we took a much needed break. They served us tea and cookies while we hung out and rested. From there we kayaked back to the resort.

Lunch was served next at the resort. I went back to my room to check again for my wallet to no avail. I arrived late, and the guides were again wonderful. Most of the food was gone so they asked the kitchen to prepare me a hamburger which was incredible. After lunch we took a hike up to overlook Wineglass Bay. Again a gorgeous hike.

Tonight was JA night which Gavin was thrilled with. He always looks forward to JA nights. And the adults selected off a limited but great menu at the lodge restaurant. Dinner was excellent. I had gnocchi appetizer and steak for my main and a deconstructed raspberry tart for desert with a Tasmania Pinot Noir which they're known for. It was a great meal.

Aside from the start, it was really a wonderful day in Tasmania. The area around Freycinet is beautiful. I would love to consider this trip again one day. I kind of hope they change it to include New Zealand just for something different, but I'm so glad they included Tassie now. It's such a wonderful, beautiful place to visit.

Those views are just amazing! It looks like winter clothing is needed for this trip, am I right?

Beautiful! Glad you were able to kayak. I love that.

Sorry about your wallet. That's one of my traveling nightmares. Glad it didn't impact your trip too much!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter