Australia Trip Report 2015

Cousin Orville

Inventor of Air Cooling
Prenight 1 - Sydney

We've arrived in Sydney! Thanks for joining us. Last we met Gavin and I were in China a year ago, and SE Asia before that. I'll keep the same format I've used in the past and post the photos after the daily report. I'll try to keep this as "live" as I can, but it sounds from others on this ABD that wifi availability becomes a bit sketchy outside of Sydney. So we'll see how we do.

Now I can say I've flown the longest commercial flight in the world. 16hrs 50 min from Dallas to Sydney. We actually started in our home town of Houston, and before that I worked in the morning. So, it was quite the long day. It was kind of exciting getting ready to board the Qantas flight. I had heard great things about Qantas, and it was our first time on an A380 (the double decker plane). It's a massive plane. Even sitting next to the other international flights, it towers over all the planes. We flew economy. So, I can't report to how amazing business class was, but it certainly looked wonderful. We were seated upstairs. All the lower level is economy, and about 3/4 of the upstairs is first class and business class. There's just a small section in the back carved out for economy. That's were we set up camp for the next 16+ hrs. Thankfully the flight was late at night. Gavin slept very well. I slept ok. Watched Godfather I and II and Age of Ultron. You definitely have time on your hands to catch up on movies:) We arrived just after dawn in Sydney. Passport Control took about 45min - ugh. But everything was otherwise smooth. We still had to wait for luggage anyway, so even if we had gotten through passport faster, it wouldn't have made much difference. We grabbed our bags, got in a taxi, and into Sydney we went.

The ABD starts in Cairns up north, but we elected to do a 3 nights in Sydney first. We're staying at the Park Hyatt, which was pricey but worth it. As I type this, I'm staring out at the Opera House lit up at night. Great hotel. Awesome view. They had our room waiting for us which I was shocked at as it was maybe 8am. After checking in and cleaning up after the flight, we headed out to see Sydney. Gavin has gotten into geocaching at home, so we started with a hunt nearby.

Afterwards we headed to The Rocks around the hotel which is a historic and touristy area. It was Saturday and they had a market set up selling trinkets and souvenirs. Onward we went towards Circular Quay where all the ferries sail in and out of. We had lunch at one of the many seafood places along the Quay. I had fish and chips. It was very fresh and tasty. From there we took a ferry across the harbour to Taronga Zoo. The ferry ride was very pleasant to sail into the harbour and past the Opera House to the other side. When we got off the ferry there was someone from the zoo that was recommending people take the entrance that you walk to a couple minutes away rather than taking the Gondola up to the main entrance because the line for the gondola was long. I can assure you that is a mistake. Just wait in line and take the gondola. See, the zoo is built along a steep hill. Everyone that takes the Gondola starts the top at the main entrance and works their way down. Everyone that enters through the lower entrance has to walk uphill through the entire zoo. We still has an amazing time, but just ignore the attendant if they suggest that. It really is a unique zoo with obviously a strong Australian focus. Gavin particularly enjoyed watching the saltwater croc swim around. I liked the penguin exhibit.

By the time we got back to the hotel it was probably 5:00pm. We decided do dinner at the hotel at "The Dining Room". It was very nice, fine dining. Probably a bit much for a first night dinner, but on they other hand they were convenient and they had a children's menu, so Gavin could get a good meal which he devoured. I got an app of Kangaroo which I was assured by our server was very tasty and fancy scallops as my main. The kangaroo was good... not life changing. Tasted a little gamey, but otherwise is pretty nondescript. I offered some to Gavin but he passed as he just saw them hopping around earlier in the day. The scallops were outstanding. We hit the hay probably around 7:30 which I counted as a huge success. We both woke up in the middle of the night, but thankfully got back to bed and otherwise had a great night sleep.

Apparently my photos are too big. As it's late now, I'll work on it tomorrow. If anyone knows how to lower the resolution of a jpeg on a mac let me know here or pm. I tried decreasing the file size to about 600KB but that didn't work.

Looking forward to reading! this trip looks awesome - just seems a little odd to take it as I grew up in Brisband and we go back often to visit family.Have a wonderful time

Sounds like you guys had a great first day and enjoyed (as much as possible) the long flight! I may have to look into geocaching. I've heard a lot about it from a couple of people now. It sounds like it could be fun.

Hopefully you get the picture issue figured out. I'm actually curious about the answer myself :-)
Looking forward to following along

Here we go:

19844511841_b2ce4c8c4b_c.jpg

19832230572_6b86be3857_c.jpg

19832226202_609e84eb07_c.jpg

Gavin finding his geocache

19651561318_1f5a7f7cfb_c.jpg

19844483061_1d3b622bf1_c.jpg

19218676093_fce0ab430f_c.jpg

19839578035_94577dbdee_c.jpg

On the ferry to Taronga

19652953579_ef62530cf9_c.jpg

19839485815_3f4774580c_c.jpg

19651526518_0e2358d2e0_c.jpg

19813363976_a9b1350469_c.jpg

19844445141_e62e29148b_c.jpg

19832162552_5cc294740b_c.jpg

19216889214_dd8c6100f7_c.jpg

19651484188_e720f05707_c.jpg

19218608003_b80bab3a1e_c.jpg

19832127652_e2b02eb05f_c.jpg

19844397171_42bde16dd8_c.jpg

19651459748_f012496904_c.jpg

19813298206_0099067bb8_c.jpg

19651468000_56c73e5d8a_c.jpg

19832092802_af27f88913_c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Cousin Orville,

Great photos and trip report! Is it cold in Sydney? I noticed that Gavin is wearing a jacket... must be winter down under? Looking forward to following your adventure!

I can't wait to read your report and see the pictures!

You will feel so spoiled at the Park Hyatt. Say 'hi' to Jonathan the concierge for me please. He's the best -- a true professional.

Enjoy every minute of your trip.

*If you want a unique souvenir, head to the gift shop on the lower level of the Sydney Opera House (you should have time to look around before the tour with ABD). They sell the cutest koala bear key chains that say "G'Day Mate" on them. It is the only place we saw them -- all the stores have plain ones, but not with the writing. I *love* mine!

Last edited:
Hi Cousin Orville,

Great photos and trip report! Is it cold in Sydney? I noticed that Gavin is wearing a jacket... must be winter down under? Looking forward to following your adventure!

It's been chilly for us Texans in the upper 50's. Next week it it looks like it will be in the mid 60's.

I can't wait to read your report and see the pictures!

You will feel so spoiled at the Park Hyatt. Say 'hi' to Jonathan the concierge for me please. He's the best -- a true professional.

Enjoy every minute of your trip.

*If you want a unique souvenir, head to the gift shop on the lower level of the Sydney Opera House (you should have time to look around before the tour with ABD). They sell the cutest koala bear key chains that say "G'Day Mate" on them. It is the only place we saw them -- all the stores have plain ones, but not with the writing. I *love* mine!

I'll look out for the key chain. We were over at The Opera House store yesterday, but they didn't catch my eye. Yes, the Park Hyatt I'm sure will spoil me. It's so comfortable, has the best location, and the best view I think I've had in any hotel anywhere!

Prenight 2 - Sydney

After waking up far too early and going back to bed, we finally got up and ready for the day at a pretty reasonable hour. Today we headed out to the Botanical Gardens which is right next to the Opera House and is massive. We walked around for a while stopping to get some fruit and lemonade eventually walked out to Mrs. Macquarie's Point where you are in this ideal spot to snap a photo of The Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge. I believe ABD will also take us here, but I figured we were so close and it will likely be a different time of day. The Botanical Gardens has a nice little train that takes you around the whole park. So we hitched a ride on that. Some of the Aussies we passed along the way would tease us a being a lazy group. All in good fun. There were so many people strolling or jogging around enjoying their Sunday.

Afterwards we headed over to another popular tourist spot, Darling Harbour. They have a Hard Rock which we always try to hit as a habit. So we ate there for lunch. Then we went over to the Maritime Museum. Thanks WDW Groupie... I would not have considered this without your review. It was awesome. The have a replica of Capt. Cook's Endeavor, which Gavin asked if it was the same Capt Cook at the Polynesian Resort... so proud. So we got to talk about what Cook did and why he has a restaurant at the Poly named after him. They have a number of other ships and subs you can walk through along with their very impressive museum. We spent a few hours there.

From there we made the executive decision to push off dinner. We snacked on some ice cream and churros instead and went to see Ant-Man at the world's largest IMAX screen there in Darling Harbour. Gavin is a Marvel fanatic, so that made his day. By the time we got out of the movie (8ish) Gavin was getting too tired to eat dinner, so we went back to the room ordered room service.

It was a great day. The Aussie's are so nice. It's been a great start to our trip.

Looks like you guys are having a great start to you vacation! The pictures are amazing. I guess I know where to spend pre days in Sydney now! Great to hear the Sydneysiders are helping make the start of your trip phenomenal

Prenight 3 - Sydney

Today we woke up at a reasonable hour! Yeah, jet lag over! We woke up to find a cruise ship parked next to our hotel. Looked pretty cool. It was a P&O cruise ship and passengers were disembarking. It was kind of interesting to me that everyone disembarking was rolling their luggage from the terminal to how knows where. I guess their hotels in Sydney or to the train station. I'm so used to Disney disembarking ports where everyone gets onto a transfer bus, a private car or a taxi. There were a few people lining up for a taxi, but most people just strolled away on foot. Hmm. Anyway, I bet it was a cool cruise possibly sailing around the South Pacific.

For our second full day we decided to take the ferry over to Manly Beach. It's a beautiful ferry ride sailing out of Sydney Harbour and around the corner up to Manly. Manly is a pretty quite beach side town compared to Sydney. It was probably even quieter considering it's winter and a Monday. We headed to the beach to watch the surfers which there were still many despite it being chilly. Gavin played in the sand a bit. We didn't stay too long. Maybe 2 hours max. If it was the summer and we were more beach people, I could easily see spending half a day here. But we enjoyed our time and then headed back to Sydney.

For lunch we went on another of WDW Groupie's recommendations, Fish at the Rocks. It was tucked away from much of the touristy area, but I'm glad we set out for it. It's been my favorite meal. Gavin had Fish and Chips made with Orange Roughy and was one of the best fish and chips I've tasted. I had the Tasmanian Salmon with a glass of Tasmanian Pinot Noir. I would definitely recommend this place.

From there we rested because tonight we had tickets to the opera. iPad and nap time....

Around 6:00 we went out to Circular Quay right around the Opera House and had a Margarita Pizza at a place called East Bank Bar and Pizzeria. It was very tasty. I had a glass of Shiraz from Western Australia I think. Anyway, everything was very good. It was definitely of the style you get in Italy and it had homemade, tasty crust. Again I'd recommend this place. From there it was to the Opera. We had tickets to La Traviata. Gavin's first opera. I wasn't sure how he'd like it, but La Traviata has a pretty easy to follow story and has big over the top scenes and music. I think he was a bit nervous about it, but he ended up loving it and was glued to it. He ended saying it was a teeny bit better than Ant-Man which is saying something from such a Marvel fanatic. We had a great time, and it was wonderful seeing it in the Opera House. Beautiful theater. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures with my good camera... I didn't want to be "that guy". But we had a great time!

Tomorrow... our flight to Cairns.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 15
As always I'm really enjoying your trip report. The pictures are amazing.

Safe travels to Cairns. Try to have a meal at Ventuno on your travels with ABD. It's really, really good!

As always I'm really enjoying your trip report. The pictures are amazing.

Safe travels to Cairns. Try to have a meal at Ventuno on your travels with ABD. It's really, really good!
A++TR so far! Did you use ground transportation in Sydney or the Sunday Fun Day pass?

You are doing a great job with the trip report and pictures! I'm thoroughly enjoying following along, especially since I can't fathom tolerating a 17 hour flight. Ours home from Munich was about 11 hours, and about 8.5 hours in, I was ready to scratch my eyeballs out! I think that is going to change how we travel from now on (ie, flights with a stopover somewhere aren't looking so bad!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter