• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Australia Trip Report 2015

I just returned from the Australian ABD Dec. 19-30 and all I can say is what a trip!!! I thought I was prepared from Cousin Orville's trip report but WOW. This was by far the most active ABD I've been on(surfing, biking, hiking, zip lining, kayaking, etc.) and I'm proud that I was able to do everything, even the activities I had never done before. If you decide to do this trip over Christmas, the only disappointment(relatively speaking--the activities we did were great) was that we were in Sydney Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We arrived around 5 pm on Dec. 23rd and didn't have time to shop due to our group dinner. On Xmas Eve, we did surfing, lunch, and an Opera House tour. When we finished, there wasn't much time to shop and you needed a dinner reservation(which guides helped us secure) to eat in a sit down restaurant on Dec. 24 & 25. Shops closed early on Xmas Eve and were closed on Christmas Day(imagine that). ABD switched our activities on these two days based on which businesses would be open. We did bike riding and a harbor lunch cruise on Xmas Day and several families, myself included, climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge that afternoon. The only saving grace was that I returned on my own to Sydney at the end of the trip for New Year's Eve and got to shop to my hearts content before the fireworks which I viewed from Midnight at the Oasis. Don't worry if you aren't into all of the activities, we had several people who did not do bike riding, kayaking, surfing, etc. They either relaxed or went shopping and then met us at the next location.

Last edited:
Sounds amazing!!!! I hope you give us all the wonderful details.

I'm not sure I can add much to what other people have said about this ABD, but to me there were several things that made doing this trip over Christmas special. First off, the weather was perfect! Even Tasmania was a balmy 62-66 which was warmer than expected. A lot of the activities we did were on my bucket list, so it was fun to be able to check off so many in one trip!

There are really no words to explain the Great Barrier Reef. The water was pretty choppy when we went, but it was nice to have our own marine biologist who got in the water with us and retrieved "planted" wildlife(mushroom coral, sea cucumbers, etc.) for us to touch. However, I think the submarine ride, again with our marine biologist, allowed us to really bask in the grandeur of the reef. Most people snorkeled, but some did scuba and we could see them swimming underneath us. They broke us into two groups so one group went first and then ate and the other group ate and then went snorkeling. The second group said that the first group, which I was in, had more time snorkeling. That was probably because it was the advanced group.

Surfing Bondi Beach on Christmas Eve was another highlight. The beach wasn't that crowded due to the holiday, but it was a lot of work fighting the waves to get to where the instructor was so you could get on the board. However, it was still a lot of fun and we even had some people who were able to stand up. I was able to get up on my knees, which I considered a great accomplishment, and everyone had fun cheering each other on.

Zip lining was another highlight for me. It was something I had always wanted to do and I'm glad I did it here. The zip line guides made it safe, fun, and helped us not think about how high up we were. The hardest part was lugging your equipment up the hill at the beginning and end of the course. They let you practice on a low platform before you went to the course, so that allowed those of us who had never done it before to feel comfortable prior to going up high in the trees.

I was really surprised by how much I liked Tasmania. We were pleasantly surprised when we got to Hobart to see that our hotel rooms faced the marina which happened to be the finish line for the Sydney Hobart Yacht race. Some families saw Commanche(USA) finish 1st in the race about 10/10:30pm(I fell asleep). However, I was up the next morning and saw Ragamuffin and Rambler finish the race. The Taste of Tasmania was also at the waterfront, so just about everyone went to that at some point and went to the marina to take pictures of the yachts as they finished the race. Hobart was also the first place where we actually had time to rest.

Of the things I did on my own, the Sydney Bridge Climb and staying for NYE were definite highlights. The Bridge Climb was surprisingly easy. I booked months ahead of time and did the 3 hour one and they stopped at regular intervals for you to admire the view and for the guide to take pictures of you. Midnight at the Oasis for NYE was the perfect viewing spot for the fireworks and I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend NYE!

I don't know if I'll ever get back to Australia, but I can say that ABD did a great job of planning this trip and ensuring that we saw the major things to see. The 15 hour plane ride from LAX to SYD was challenging and I'm not eager to repeat that anytime soon.

WOW!!!! Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you Abdgeek. Now I have to add another travel site onto my list.....I hope I hit the lottery tonight LOL.

I just returned from the Australian ABD Dec. 19-30 and all I can say is what a trip!!! I thought I was prepared from Cousin Orville's trip report but WOW...

I'm so glad you had a great trip! This is one of ABD's best. "Epic" as my 11yo son would say.

I'm curious, how was the weather and flies in Uluru? It was quite nice in July other than being overcast the one night we were there. I was curious at the time how their summer was.

Were either Suzanne or Amber guiding you? Sydney has got to be one of (if not the) best place on Earth to celebrate NYE.

Sounds amazing! This trip is definitely high on the bucket list, but I really want to do it when I can also spend some time in New Zealand. I may break down and do it anyways. But the idea of flying from Ohio (adding another 4 hours!) is daunting! :)

Sayhello

Sounds amazing! This trip is definitely high on the bucket list, but I really want to do it when I can also spend some time in New Zealand. I may break down and do it anyways. But the idea of flying from Ohio (adding another 4 hours!) is daunting! :)

Sayhello

Yep. No getting around that flight. I remember flying over from Dallas watching the Godfather, Godfather Part II, and Avengers 2 and we still had half way to go :) But it's worth it.

Sayhello

I also could not do a trip which involves that long a flight. If I did I would run off the plane and kiss the ground when I landed and look for a boat to ride home.

I'm so glad you had a great trip! This is one of ABD's best. "Epic" as my 11yo son would say.

I'm curious, how was the weather and flies in Uluru? It was quite nice in July other than being overcast the one night we were there. I was curious at the time how their summer was.

Were either Suzanne or Amber guiding you? Sydney has got to be one of (if not the) best place on Earth to celebrate NYE.

The weather in Uluru was a balmy 88 degrees, which was plenty hot for the walks. The bus driver made fun of us because most people didn't get off the bus to do the second part of the hike at Uluru. He let some people off for the longer hike and then parked for the short hike and only two people got off the bus. He kept saying "how often are you in Uluru". Before I left for the trip, Uluru had 100 degree days, so I'm glad it was cooler but I couldn't imagine being there in that heat.

We had Suzamber for our trip and they were great! It was great having two Aussie's who kept things fun. Suzanne was a fan of the yacht race so she kept us updated. It was in the mid 50's for the first group who did kayaking in Freycinet in the morning. Thankfully, I was in the afternoon group and it warmed up to about 60 degrees. I can't imagine what it was like for you kayaking in cooler temps.

Last edited:
The weather in Uluru was a balmy 88 degrees, which was plenty hot for the walks. The bus driver made fun of us because most people didn't get off the bus to do the second part of the hike at Uluru. He let some people off for the longer hike and then parked for the short hike and only two people got off the bus. He kept saying "how often are you in Uluru". Before I left for the trip, Uluru had 100 degree days, so I'm glad it was cooler but I couldn't imagine being there in that heat.

We had Suzamber for our trip and they were great! It was great having two Aussie's who kept things fun. Amber was a fan of the yacht race so she kept us updated. It was in the mid 50's for the first group who did kayaking in Freycinet in the morning. Thankfully, I was in the afternoon group and it warmed up to about 60 degrees. I can't imagine what it was like for you kayaking in cooler temps.

I remember Amber warning us it would be in the 30's for kayaking and pretty much everyone declined the night before, but something happened and it was significantly warmer. I want to say it was in the 50's as well. All I remember about the kayaking was the difficulty of getting the kayak going as I was the only one rowing in my boat. It was fun though. Like you had mentioned, it was a very active ABD compared to others. I was impressed that Gavin and I both tried many things for the first time - from snorkeling at the GBR, to surfing, to the bridge climb, to zip lining and kayaking. Before the trip we were really only planning on doing the zip lining and maybe the kayaking.

We had Suzamber for our trip and they were great! It was great having two Aussie's who kept things fun. Suzanne was a fan of the yacht race so she kept us updated. It was in the mid 50's for the first group who did kayaking in Freycinet in the morning. Thankfully, I was in the afternoon group and it warmed up to about 60 degrees. I can't imagine what it was like for you kayaking in cooler temps.
Our kayaking in early July was cancelled b/c of the weather. Too windy. I was totally fine with that. And we got to see penguins that night instead. :)

For those of you who went in the Australian winter (our summer), did you have a heavy coat, or can you get by with a fleece type jacket? Was it ever warm enough to wear shorts? What was something you had with you that was essential? What was something you thought you'd need but didn't? In case you can't tell, I'm preparing my packing list! Leaving in under four weeks. All advice is welcomed!

For those of you who went in the Australian winter (our summer), did you have a heavy coat, or can you get by with a fleece type jacket? Was it ever warm enough to wear shorts? What was something you had with you that was essential? What was something you thought you'd need but didn't? In case you can't tell, I'm preparing my packing list! Leaving in under four weeks. All advice is welcomed!
It's currently 1 degree Celsius here this morning (33F) and should get to 15C and it's the first day of winter here.
You'll need something warm, though, depends what areas you'll be visiting

Hey abdgeek! Good to hear you had a great time. What exactly are the shopping stuff in Sydney? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter