As anyone seen Wicked?

Daughter 12 - Has only heard the music but loves it. She even begs to watch Pushing Daisys just so she could see Galinda.

So, Knowing that Dad is not made of money.

If you had a choice between a day at Disneyland or Wicked which would choose?

Daughter 12 - Has only heard the music but loves it. She even begs to watch Pushing Daisys just so she could see Galinda.

That is the hardest to answer question I have ever seen asked. I would look into ebay or matinee tickets and see if you can do both, but otherwise I would do Wicked. The main reason why is because who knows how long the play will be around, besides I think its an amazing experience to see live theater and will give your daughter a greater appreciation for live art. I was taken to see The Nutcracker when I was 8 and it is something that has stayed with me all these years.

As much as I love it I have to say Disneyland will still be there next year.

I am also a 12 yr old girl and I say go see Wicked!! Your dd will LOVE it! I have to agree with the poster that said Disneyland will be there next year.

I agree, that's the hardest question I have heard for a long time....

hmmm. I have flown to LA and Chicago (we live in Oregon) just to see Wicked....well worth it each time. I say if the opportunity presents itself.... see Wicked at the Pantages. You can get good prices on Orchestra level seats (we did) from everyone's favorite bidding site, and Disney will be there next year.

Go on, ya know you want to... Defy Gravity!

We live in MN, so Chicago is doable for a weekend trip.

So based on cast and theater, would you see Wicked in LA or Chicago.

We are in LA area for 10 days March - First week April.

Thanks again.

We're going on March 14th for my b-day (my present from me to me), and I'm really looking forward to seeing it at the Pantages Theater. I'm glad to read so many positive reviews for it.

Mary Jo you will LOVE It! We will be in LA for the YAA again this year and hoping to go see it - maybe around Mar 29-30th....just figuring out dates! We saw it in Seattle and MUST see it again!

We're going on March 14th for my b-day (my present from me to me), and I'm really looking forward to seeing it at the Pantages Theater. I'm glad to read so many positive reviews for it.

OMG! MaryJo we are going March 15th - we'll just miss you! (For my b-day too!) DH got me tickets for CArrie Underwood & Keith Urban at the Pond on the 13th, we're heading to Dland on the 14th and going to the Wicked matinee on the 15th. We'll have to compare notes and sing Wicked songs when we meet up in April! LOL

THANK YOU for the post! I just read Wicked and Son of a Witch and soo want to see the play. I had no idea it was in LA this spring.

The trick is, it is just me and my nearly 5 year old on vacation. Now she LOVES Wizard of Oz. Her 4th b-day party was Oz themed and she knew almost all the trivia answers. Would the play be too much for a 5 year-old?

And if I do this I'll have to book an extra night at a hotel, but worth it. We'll be driving to CA so no worries about transportation (except for that rush hour gridlock).

THANKS!!!

THANK YOU for the post! I just read Wicked and Son of a Witch and soo want to see the play. I had no idea it was in LA this spring.

The trick is, it is just me and my nearly 5 year old on vacation. Now she LOVES Wizard of Oz. Her 4th b-day party was Oz themed and she knew almost all the trivia answers. Would the play be too much for a 5 year-old?

And if I do this I'll have to book an extra night at a hotel, but worth it. We'll be driving to CA so no worries about transportation (except for that rush hour gridlock).

THANKS!!!

To be honest I read both books too and they skimmed over a lot of the darker parts so its not as dark or deep as the books. I think she will love Glinda and maybe even Elphaba. I don't think she would be scared at all of the material but she might get bored if you isn't a good "sitter" and if she doesn't get into the songs. Maybe pick up the cast CD before you go and listen to it with her that would get both of you into the mood for the play, and make her more interested in what she is going to see. Kids love to know the songs :)

To be honest I read both books too and they skimmed over a lot of the darker parts so its not as dark or deep as the books. I think she will love Glinda and maybe even Elphaba. I don't think she would be scared at all of the material but she might get bored if you isn't a good "sitter" and if she doesn't get into the songs. Maybe pick up the cast CD before you go and listen to it with her that would get both of you into the mood for the play, and make her more interested in what she is going to see. Kids love to know the songs :)

Thanks a ton! We talked about it a little bit, and most likely if it is too borring, she will fall asleep. We would go the evening of our 4th day of our DisneyLand vacation. The dark stuff doesn't scare her much (loves POTC & Star Wars), but I was worried about the love (or whatever term fits) sceens.

Now to plan the timing with traffic, ohh - she might just sleep during that part of the evening...

I would suggest that you check with the folks at Pantages before you purchase tickets. I have no idea how strict they are when it comes to enforcing age limits, and you'd probably be fine anyway since your DD is so close.
But I thought you should be aware of their age restrictions.

From the Broadway in LA site:

WICKED
Tickets on sale now through July 6, 2008
at the PANTAGES THEATRE
(my snip here)
Runs: 2 hrs 45 mins Ages: Recommended for 8 & up; no one under 5 admitted to the theatre

Thanks a ton! We talked about it a little bit, and most likely if it is too borring, she will fall asleep. We would go the evening of our 4th day of our DisneyLand vacation. The dark stuff doesn't scare her much (loves POTC & Star Wars), but I was worried about the love (or whatever term fits) sceens.

Now to plan the timing with traffic, ohh - she might just sleep during that part of the evening...

Don't worry about the love scenes either most of the Quadling love affair is written out of the play. I think the first love scene is just "hey you want to go out on the town" they go inside a door and the relationship is implied. I think the only thing to worry is that she sort of gives birth to Elphaba. They bring the baby from under the ladies skirt as she lays on a bed. Thought I would mention that since I am no sure where you might have taken that talk.

I think there is some romantic stuff in the second act too but again it was all implied not long or Soap Opera in bed stuff at all.

Ages: Recommended for 8 & up; no one under 5 admitted to the theatre

I called and got the OK to bring my 7-days-shy-of-turning-5 year-old daughter :-) Just got my tickets on Ticketmaster. Now I need to find out all the cool stuff we can do near the theatre and see how much time we want to schedule there. Maybe get there around 3 and avoid some of the rush-hour traffic.

As I was freaking out at work I found out a co-worker has gone twice and also read the book. How in the world we work next to each other and I didn't know she read that book, I can't figure out. She is going to lend me her CD so we can be prepared for all the new songs (but we won't sing at the play :-)

Now I need to find out all the cool stuff we can do near the theatre and see how much time we want to schedule there. Maybe get there around 3 and avoid some of the rush-hour traffic.

The Hollywood and Vine subway station is literally across the street - you could take that over to the next station, Hollywood and Highland, and visit the Disney Soda Fountain, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, etc.

Or just hang around the theater area and check out the star names on the sidewalk. Jimmy Stewart is at Hollywood and Vine, just west from the Pantages.

Idina Menzel will be in concert in San Diego on June 20th:

http://www.humphreysconcerts.com/

Humphrey's is a beautiful outdoor venue right on the bay. DH and I are going. It should be fun! :woohoo:

I am actually seeing Idina in concert tomorrow here in NJ. Bounce. I am so excited.

Wicked you will love it. I was out in LA from March 21 and just got home today and saw it twice while I was there. You will love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter