Are they serious

frayedend

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
Okay, I was part of the debate on kids CS meals and was quite upset with the choices, but really figured that it wouldn't be a big deal to buy them something if I had to. But now I looked at the Sci Fi Dine In menu for kids and I'm feeling a bit ill. They really only give a kid the same junk they give at CS. I mean, the choices are grilled chicken, mac and cheese, nuggest, or hamburger. I'm sorry but I think that is pathetic for a sit down. Are most of the sit downs this bad?

Most of them leave something to be desired, but the kids can also nibble off your plate. DD4-going-on-24 was so wired on our last three trips it was hard to get her to eat anything, but it was okay. Not good...but okay.

I am honestly perplexed...do most kids only eat chicken nuggets and mac and cheese when given the choice? Or did someone at Disney crunch some numbers and "decide" that's all they eat? My DD doesn't like that stuff but she is weird ;) in other ways so maybe its just her... I know I have said this before, and maybe there is a good reason why they don't do it, but it seems like a simple solution would be to offer the option of kid-sized portions of the adult menu. We decided to go with buffets (which have their own drawbacks) for all of our ADRs so maybe our DD will eat something...but I still haven't figured out what to do about the CS places.

I agree, the child selections are terrible!

QueenGoblin said:
I am honestly perplexed...do most kids only eat chicken nuggets and mac and cheese when given the choice? Or did someone at Disney crunch some numbers and "decide" that's all they eat? My DD doesn't like that stuff but she is weird ;) in other ways so maybe its just her... I know I have said this before, and maybe there is a good reason why they don't do it, but it seems like a simple solution would be to offer the option of kid-sized portions of the adult menu. We decided to go with buffets (which have their own drawbacks) for all of our ADRs so maybe our DD will eat something...but I still haven't figured out what to do about the CS places.

I think part of the reason that they don't offer kids sized portions of the adult meals is that they are afraid that adults would order from the kids menu. I have read that is why they don't have a kids sized pizza at the Pizza planet. Too many adults ordering it. Or another example is that Pecos Bill doesn't have a kids hamburger. It is just beyond odd to have a burger place and with no kids burger and a Pizza place with no kids Pizza.

Having said that when we were there last August the Concourse Steakhouse had a great kids menu. Aside from the normal junk it did have a kids steak and kids sized shrimp cocktail. Alfredo's also had a pretty good kids menu.

I am so glad that DS is young enough that we do not have to pay for him if he shares with us. He is one of those werid kids that does not eat but 1 or 2 fries when served with a meal, and does not like most side dishes, mac and cheese included. If we were having to pay for him to eat chicken nuggets for our entire stay 1) I think DS would revolt after a few days, and 2) that would just be the biggest waste of money for us. While DH and I plan to be more lax on vacation about what DS gets to eat, we typical do not let him eat that kind of fried junk all the time. It is a special treat so to speak reserved for when we go out to eat 1 a week or less.

Well Sci Fi isn't a great restaurant to base this on. It's a drive-in so hamburger type offerings go with the theme. What does your child usually eat? Off the top of my head I know LeCellier, Concourse, Brown Derby, Mama Melrose, Coral Reef?, San Angel Inn, Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch) Spoodles & California Grill have decent selections for children. There must be a few others too.

I think every park and every resort area has at least one buffet restaurant. Kids can get the exact same menu items as adults.

I think Peddler hit the nail on the head, Disney isn't interested in kids menus becoming a low cost alternative for adults. Disney could probably offer a better kids menu IF they could absolutely prevent adults from using it.

Lewisc said:
I think every park and every resort area has at least one buffet restaurant. Kids can get the exact same menu items as adults.

I think Peddler hit the nail on the head, Disney isn't interested in kids menus becoming a low cost alternative for adults. Disney could probably offer a better kids menu IF they could absolutely prevent adults from using it.

I have been to plenty of restaraunts with an age limit listed on the kids menu. Anyhow, I'm sure we'll get by. But my problem is that my son will want the ribs. I will get the ribs and he won't be able to, so I will be paying OOP for my kid to have an adult meal. Now this is the funny part, because it causes quite the dilemma for Disney. I will order the Ribs for my son. I will have to pay OOP because my son is not allowed to order from the adult menu. This in turn will leave me with an extra TS credit and (assuming they haven't yet separated them) I could (If I were one of those really bad people on here that steal from Disney) use it for an extra adult TS. :confused3

SI-Fi as jjohnson said, is modeled after a 50's Drive in. So you are going to have a drive in menu. You pay more for the atmosphere. We try to eat at more buffets so that our children can eat whatever they want(so can we!!). Mama Melrose's had a great pasta dish that looked better than my meal for kids. We almost always share our meals with our kids. With the DDP we couldn't possibly eat all the food that was offered for adults. Hope this helps a little.

I'm sorry but I just don't buy the argument that Disney wants to prevent adults from ordering off the children's menu. First off, I'm sure children's items are priced high enough that they are turning a profit off them(if not, they have a big problem). Secondly, if adults wanted kid size portions "supersize" would never have become part of our vocabulary and Wendy's and McD's would only have the $1 menu. I'm definately a person that can put away the food, but sometimes a person might want a smaller amount. I don't understand why that should be a problem at all at restaurants. :confused3 It's nothing to do with ethics, as far as I'm concerned, but a need to provide quality choices for you and your children. Yes, I do understand that some places have better choices, but we are on vacation, not searching for the Holy Grail.

pperfectmom said:
I'm sorry but I just don't buy the argument that Disney wants to prevent adults from ordering off the children's menu. First off, I'm sure children's items are priced high enough that they are turning a profit off them(if not, they have a big problem). Secondly, if adults wanted kid size portions "supersize" would never have become part of our vocabulary and Wendy's and McD's would only have the $1 menu. I'm definately a person that can put away the food, but sometimes a person might want a smaller amount. I don't understand why that should be a problem at all at restaurants. :confused3 It's nothing to do with ethics, as far as I'm concerned, but a need to provide quality choices for you and your children. Yes, I do understand that some places have better choices, but we are on vacation, not searching for the Holy Grail.

OHHH MANNN!!!!!!! You mean we aren't searching for the Grail either!!! That's it I'm cancelling the whole darn thing! ;)

Liberty Tree Tavern tried to create a healthy, interesting children's menu a few months back and the backlash from parents who were unhappy because their child couldn't have chicken nuggets or grilled cheese was so big and so quick that is changed back almost immediately. Parents one these boards were actually complaining that their children were on vacation and deserved vacation food.

As for the cost of children's meals, they are typically a loss leader for most restaurants. They are put on the menu to attract the adults to the restaurants where they will buy full price meals. The price of an item on any restaurant meal is not just the cost of the food plus profit. I'm sure Disney isn't losing money on the cost of the food from a children's meal, but they are losing the "rest" of the money from a full priced meal. That is the money that pays for the servers, the bus boys, the host and hostesses, the lights, the heat, the chef, etc. It would not be a good idea for Disney to encourage adults to order smaller portions at the childs price, they would indeed lose money

however, it is true that there are a lot of kids that are very finicky eaters. so a lot of restaurants (not just disney), have a "typical" kids menu: Mac&Cheese, Pizza, Chicken nuggets, hot dog, cheese burger, etc. no matter how much you dress it up to look 'yummier' to them, they still wont eat it.

my brother's step daughter (5yo) will only eat chicken nuggets, mac&cheese, etc. if she sees anything green she will refuse. i know a lot of children like this.

but then you do have to offer something to compensate for the opposite end of the spectrum. my godson (3yo) is one of those that just loves food. he sees what we are eating and wants to eat that too. He loves salad (if you can believe that), tomatoes, spinach, shrimp, fish, olives, mushrooms. the typical things that most kids HATE, he loves it. I have seen some restaurants offer a more 'mature' tasting entree for children, but usually a slim selection.

It is true, SCI-FI is one of those that keeps its food in line with the theme of the restaurant. As far as MGM goes, i think that 50's prime time also has some good selections for children.

good luck

I'm glad my kids were over 9 when we first used the DDP... they would have starved if their only choices were chicken nuggets and Mac n Cheese. 9 out of 10 times, my kids order the salmon!

Disney has an age listed on the kids menu BUT it's next to impossible to explain to a parent why and older child or even an adult can't order the kids meal if that's all they want to eat. Guests really don't want to hear an explanation that the kids meal isn't priced high enough to cover the restaurants overhead let alone a provide a contribution to profits.

frayedend said:
I have been to plenty of restaraunts with an age limit listed on the kids menu.

Lewisc said:
Disney has an age listed on the kids menu BUT it's next to impossible to explain to a parent why and older child or even an adult can't order the kids meal if that's all they want to eat. Guests really don't want to hear an explanation that the kids meal isn't priced high enough to cover the restaurants overhead let alone a provide a contribution to profits.

Yeah, that's a good point. People would just say, "well it's on the menu so why can't I get it." Oh well, I guess nothing can please us all. I'll just have to buy what my kids want to eat and hope I still get my moneys worth.

I guess I just don't want my kid eating my ribs and leaving me with a bunch of crappy chicken nuggets :)

frayedend said:
Yeah, that's a good point. People would just say, "well it's on the menu so why can't I get it." Oh well, I guess nothing can please us all. I'll just have to buy what my kids want to eat and hope I still get my moneys worth.

I guess I just don't want my kid eating my ribs and leaving me with a bunch of crappy chicken nuggets :)

I'm not sure a Disney restaurant will be able to accomodate you but many restaurants will work with you if you ask for a children's portion, or appetizer portion of an adult entree. My guess most Disney entrees are in either prepared or at least portioned in advance but it can't hurt to at least ask.

Lewisc said:
I'm not sure a Disney restaurant will be able to accomodate you but many restaurants will work with you if you ask for a children's portion, or appetizer portion of an adult entree. My guess most Disney entrees are in either prepared or at least portioned in advance but it can't hurt to at least ask.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see how that goes. Actually I have 2 kids and would have no problem if they took one Rib order and made it into 2 kids meals or something like that. Oh well, I'm not gonna stress about it once I'm there. I just like to complain before I go ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter