Are they serious

When you have a place that is literally visited by millions of people you would never come up with a menu for kids that would satisfy everyone.

As to kids eating the same thing for 10 days, if you go off property and get a kid's meal you will experience pretty much the same situation. Kid's meals just don't offer alot of variety.

Also I doubt the average length of a Disney vacation is 10 days. I am sure that is the norm for DISers but not everyone else.

I think the kids menus leave much to be desired. My DD doesn't like fried foods like nuggets or fries, and she won't touch pizza, hamburgers, or hot-dogs to save her life. She doesn't like junk food at all. I don't know where she got that from though certainly not me! LOL :confused3

I guess I look at it this way. We are only there for a short while. If she has to eat the apple sauce that comes with most kids meals and share with me the rest of the time then we will deal with it. I am not going to let a chicken nugget filled week spoil our fun. I'll let her eat what she wants of it and then buy her some fruit for a snack. Judging from last time she will most likely be to excited to eat much anyway.

We are doing a lot of buffets so I know at least one meal a day she will get to eat what she likes, veggies and pasta mostly.

I do wish they would add a little more variety even if its only adding more sides options. However I won't dwell on it.

I too have DD'ers that are very good eaters and are not too picky, however given the option they will usually go for the Mac and Cheese. That said its a bit of a dilemma for us as the 10 year old gets the adult entree, dinner and desert while the 9 and twin 8's get to stare jealously :furious: I am already hearing about it! On the plus side thanks to this site and All Ears we can know in advance where we are eating and what is available so we can "schedule in" variety for everyone.

Yeah, I see that. That is a sticky situation.

This sounds like a lot of work and probably a pain but could order your meals so that all the kids could share? Like split the adult meal and the kids meals amongst all four of them? I baby-sit 3 kids and have 2 of my own so I am the queen of splitting things up so that everyone gets a little of everything (mainly to avoid complaining). LOL

It may be a pain to do on vacation but if it would help the younger ones feel better it may be worth it.

This whole thread reminds me of the Wife Swap episode where the kids "liked" to eat healthy and then the "fun mom" comes in and the kids are soooooo happy to eat all the "junk" and the "strict dad" is just mortified at his childrens gluttony!!!!! Both those parents "thought" their kids liked to eat healthy when they were just doing it 'cause it was the rules and the first chance they got to eat what they wanted without getting in trouble they went hog wild!

They all looked like this >>> :banana: :cheer2: "Two four six eight what do we appreciate? Junk food! Junk food! Juuuuunk food!"

:rotfl2:

The vast majority of kids want either a cheesebuger, chicken nuggets, pizza or pasta. Now ... at a specialty place they should have a kids sized portion of the adult specialty. Like steak at a steak place, I'm pretty sure most WDW places do ... but I have not analyzed the menus.

Everyone on here knows if you order your child a kids meal at most places you have covered your $10.99 once you add tax and tip. I don't think that is the issue at all. I think people just want options and flexibility.

WDWO

Agreed! Having some variety is really where I think the complaints are coming from, that and the fact 10 year olds eat as adults. In my case our girls are very territorial and dont like to share, that and they eat like linebackers. We have no problems with getting them to eat other things, in fact at chilis they get the mac n cheese but always order the broccoli as a side dish (if it were me I would go for the cinnamon apples). In my own case I can only hope the portions are such that the younger ones can have their curiosity satisfied while finding something on the menu each day they will enjoy as well.

Everyone on here knows if you order your child a kids meal at most places you have covered your $10.99 once you add tax and tip. I don't think that is the issue at all. I think people just want options and flexibility

Totally agree. The options are for $10.99 you get the standard kid's meal. If you want more than that either pay out of pocket for it, or decide the plan does not fit and don't get it.

I don't think everyone is going to find the DDP to fit their dining needs whether it be children who are more creative eaters or adults who do not want that much food every day.

It is a personal choice and the flexibility is everyone has the option to decide if it is fits.

Well, sometimes I wish my child would eat fast food stuff. It would make some situations much easier. I wouldn't mind her eating kids meals all week at WDW, she just won't even if she is allowed. Well, unless its ice cream. LOL
Not stressing it though, we'll work it out.

I totally agree that you shouldn't get the DDP if it doesn't fit for you. However, whether you are on the DDP or not the children's menu is still the same....limited. It would be nice if they had more non meat options, or more sides like some of the fast food places have like the prepackaged apples, oranges, or carrot sticks.

-I am talking strictly CS meals.

I wonder about desserts with some of these meals. I do not want to eat a great dessert in front of my kids who get jello or vanilla ice cream. Seems silly. I would not mind a smaller version. Sometimes my kids like junky food but most of the time I want them to eat healthy. I will say, for my kids junk food makes their behavior crazy. I wish they could have a little of both but I also see the agrument of keeping adults from ordering kids meals. The only thing is I really wonder the % of healthy vs junk food eaters. That would be neat to know. If most eat the same thing only then that is why Disney has the meals they have. I figure it is free I am going with the flow but I think to purchase it outright, we would not do it.

seven dwarfs said:
I wonder about desserts with some of these meals. I do not want to eat a great dessert in front of my kids who get jello or vanilla ice cream. .

At all the CS we went to the kids got any dessert off the menu--there was no specific kids dessert. If the meal came with applesauce or jello they still got a dessert as well. In terms of TS the kids menu's typically had 2 desserts and if they didn't like either of those they could have ice cream. The exception to this was Mama Melrose where kids could only have ice cream. Typically the desserts are very fun and oriented to younger kids--things like worms and dirt, chocolate "moose", smores, etc. My kids loved the desserts and the one place where there were no non-chocolate kid desserts (WCC) they let my son have a strawberry shake instead. My kids don't have adult tastes (6 and 8) and many of the adult desserts were unappealing to them. They were thrilled to have the kids desserts.

Yvonne

frayedend said:
Okay, I was part of the debate on kids CS meals and was quite upset with the choices, but really figured that it wouldn't be a big deal to buy them something if I had to. But now I looked at the Sci Fi Dine In menu for kids and I'm feeling a bit ill. They really only give a kid the same junk they give at CS. I mean, the choices are grilled chicken, mac and cheese, nuggest, or hamburger. I'm sorry but I think that is pathetic for a sit down. Are most of the sit downs this bad?

What's wrong with grilled chicken? I think it's a healthy alternative to other items on Kid's menus at any restaurant, not just WDW restauarants.

Also, keep in mind you are spending $10.99 PER DAY on meals for your child. That's a bargain, so I would not expect salmon, snapper, steaks, etc.

However, they could offer a pizza/flatbread and your choice of toppings: spinich, fresh tomatoes, fruit, etc.

Laurajean1014 said:
What's wrong with grilled chicken? I think it's a healthy alternative to other items on Kid's menus at any restaurant, not just WDW restauarants.

Also, keep in mind you are spending $10.99 PER DAY on meals for your child. That's a bargain, so I would not expect salmon, snapper, steaks, etc.

However, they could offer a pizza/flatbread and your choice of toppings: spinich, fresh tomatoes, fruit, etc.

No, you're probably right. I was also thinking the grilled chicken was the same as "chilled chicken" and my kids may eat a hot grilled chicken breast, they certainly wouldn't eat it "chilled". After reading a lot and thinking about it, maybe I was over reacting a bit. But I was annoyed that the kids TS and CS seemed exactly the same (I won't really know until I get there). For instance, I don't like the fact that my kids eat a lot of chicken fingers. But, at every single restaraunt I go to (TS restaraunts like Outback, Chilis, Applebees, whatever) they always have white meat chicken breast fingers. Not chopped and shaped nuggets. My understanding is when Disney says nuggets they mean crappy chickin patty things. That stinks because I will have to order adult items for the kids when they want the chicken because if they are gonna eat fried food, at least it can be real meat and not a bunch of crap mixed in with it.

bicker said:
Le Cellier offers a 6oz Grilled Steak for children. Coral Reef offers children a grilled chicken breast (not nuggets). Chefs de France offers a fried fish plate for children. Rose and Crown has cottage pie, bangers and mash, fish and chips, and grilled chicken on their child menu. Teppanyaki offers a small stir fry with either chicken or shrimp. Nine Dragons offers sweet and sour chicken. San Angel Inn offers children either a burrito or an enchilada. Marrakesh offers couscous. Spoodles offers Grilled Strip Steak and Grilled Chicken. Flying fish offers fish and chips, grilled steak, chicken breast (again, not nuggets).

I'm pretty thoroughly shocked to see so many choices available for children.

Well I guess Bicker has actually helped answer my the last thing in my first post. Do all the TS have this crappy menu for kids? I guess not. That's good to know and makes me feel a little better. Thanks Bicker.

frayedend said:
Well I guess Bicker has actually helped answer my the last thing in my first post. Do all the TS have this crappy menu for kids? I guess not. That's good to know and makes me feel a little better. Thanks Bicker.

This may have gotten lost in the thread but almost every park and resort area has at least one buffet restaurant. Kids are allowed to select the exact same items as the adults.

Lewisc said:
This may have gotten lost in the thread but almost every park and resort area has at least one buffet restaurant. Kids are allowed to select the exact same items as the adults.

I saw that too. Thanks. We have a few character breakfast buffets planned. The buffets will definitely help.

When we go to Disney, we choose to eat at the places that fit our needs for that trip. For example, when my older DD turned 12 (at that time, the "adult" age for food), we stopped going to buffets and fixed price places because it wasn't worth it to pay adult prices for my DD. We went to ala carte type places and shared meals or she ordered appetizers, etc. We went to the restaurants that satisfied our needs (and looked yummy too.)

Secondly, on our last trip, we decided AGAINST the dining plan because it didn't fit our needs. There was no way that DH, me and the girls (both "adults") could eat 4 appetizers, 4 entrees and 4 desserts!! So we passed on the plan. The dining plan is not a MUST. You do NOT have to get it. If you feel your child would order more off the adult menu, then don't bother with the plan. For the most part, my girls ordered off of the adult menu but on a couple of occasions my younger DD (11) ordered kids meals. She did not have ONE chicken nugget, burger, mac and cheese! She had roasted chicken (Tusker House), yakitori chicken (Japan), etc. Now if you are getting free dining, that is different. I would get the plan too and then just pay OOP for the kids if necessary.

My point is, you CAN find places that meet your needs. There are MANY places at Disney that have decent food on the kids menu. If that is a priority for you, then stick to those places. To me its very simple.

Maggie

maggiew said:
When we go to Disney, we choose to eat at the places that fit our needs for that trip. For example, when my older DD turned 12 (at that time, the "adult" age for food), we stopped going to buffets and fixed price places because it wasn't worth it to pay adult prices for my DD. We went to ala carte type places and shared meals or she ordered appetizers, etc. We went to the restaurants that satisfied our needs (and looked yummy too.)

Secondly, on our last trip, we decided AGAINST the dining plan because it didn't fit our needs. There was no way that DH, me and the girls (both "adults") could eat 4 appetizers, 4 entrees and 4 desserts!! So we passed on the plan. The dining plan is not a MUST. You do NOT have to get it. If you feel your child would order more off the adult menu, then don't bother with the plan. For the most part, my girls ordered off of the adult menu but on a couple of occasions my younger DD (11) ordered kids meals. She did not have ONE chicken nugget, burger, mac and cheese! She had roasted chicken (Tusker House), yakitori chicken (Japan), etc. Now if you are getting free dining, that is different. I would get the plan too and then just pay OOP for the kids if necessary.

My point is, you CAN find places that meet your needs. There are MANY places at Disney that have decent food on the kids menu. If that is a priority for you, then stick to those places. To me its very simple.

Maggie

I am on the free dining, so it is different. But can you see the looks I'll get when I try to pay OOP for my kids while on the DDP??? I guess I'll have to order the kids free meal and an adult meal just so no one thinks I'm trying to get extra credits to use for an adult :)

Anyhow, like I said previously... I asked a question in my OP and it has been answered with some options that will help me out. So no need for a debate about it. :)

A quick peek at the menus and you will be able to narrow where you absolutely will not eat. Best places when DD was a "child" on the plan for kids meals:

Pizza planet
Tusker House
Cosmic Rays
Water Parks
all stars
POFQ
Peppermarket

Concourse steakhouse, Le Cellier, LTT lunch, Coral Reef, Artist Point, Cali Grill, etc.

frayedend said:
Applebees, whatever) they always have white meat chicken breast fingers. Not chopped and shaped nuggets. My understanding is when Disney says nuggets they mean crappy chickin patty things.

We found that for CS kids meals it was nuggets but for TS meals it was regular white meat chicken fingers. Neither kid likes those nuggets much so they only ordered them once when there was nothing they liked better but with carrots, applesauce, and milk with them it wasn't a horrific meal anyway. In terms of the chicken fingers which both my kids like the TS places were great about giving fruit instead of fries so again with milk I felt like for a vacation meal it wasn't that bad.

Yvonne

DCDisney said:
We found that for CS kids meals it was nuggets but for TS meals it was regular white meat chicken fingers. Neither kid likes those nuggets much so they only ordered them once when there was nothing they liked better but with carrots, applesauce, and milk with them it wasn't a horrific meal anyway. In terms of the chicken fingers which both my kids like the TS places were great about giving fruit instead of fries so again with milk I felt like for a vacation meal it wasn't that bad.

Yvonne

It all seems confusing. Everything I've read says basically the same thing. If the menu says Chicken Strips it's the good stuff and if it say nuggets it's the junk. So I was getting nervous that my kids would get stuck with nugget junk. Especially when Sci Fi menu says nuggets. But, now I looked at CR counter service and the kids menu says Chicken Strips. I guess it will just be a matter of picking the right places. :) But all in all, who cares. I'm going to Disney. I'm getting apps and dessert all the time :) :) And if I have to pay for my kid, so what. I've learned to expect to spend money I don't have ;) That's what credit cards are for right. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter