April & June UY Extended!

Ok...I am trying to figure the email out as well...so I decided to come here because you folks are much more knowledgable than myself.

I have a June UY. I banked my points EARLY on. I have a trip scheduled for July using the banked points. Will I get an additional year (through May 31, 2022) or will they still end on May 31, 2021?
No, you will not get extra time because the resorts would have to be closed all the way until May 31st, 2021.

They are only extending the life of banked points that are actually expiring during the closure,.,and those are only April and June 2018 UY points,
To add on to that, it’s because the existing policy still exists. So say the resort is closed through August. Your reservation will be cancelled.

The 2019 banked points will be returned to the 2020 pool as you previously banked it and it is considered 2020 points. Which is why they will expire May 31, 2021.

I have a similar question. I have a June YR with a reservation over 4th of July week. It is looking like the parks will be open in some capacity, and quite possibly the resorts. We are trying to decide what the most prudent course of action would be. My understanding is that the 40 points I have banked from 2019 into 2020, if the resorts are open, would not be good for use from June 1 2021 on. So if we booked a reservation for mid-July 2021, we would be losing those 40 points? But the 100 2020 points we used on that reservation could be banked for use in 2021? And the 5 we borrowed from 2021- able to be banked with the 2020 points, revert back to 2021, or be lost completely as well?

I'm not complaining about whatever happens, I just want to be sure I understand the options! Also, all of this is predicated on us cancelling prior to 30 days out OR Disney cancelling the reservation, right? If the resorts are open and we decide to cancel within 30 days, under the current policy they would go into holding and need to all be used by the end of the current (2020?) use year?

I have a similar question. I have a June YR with a reservation over 4th of July week. It is looking like the parks will be open in some capacity, and quite possibly the resorts. We are trying to decide what the most prudent course of action would be. My understanding is that the 40 points I have banked from 2019 into 2020, if the resorts are open, would not be good for use from June 1 2021 on. So if we booked a reservation for mid-July 2021, we would be losing those 40 points? But the 100 2020 points we used on that reservation could be banked for use in 2021? And the 5 we borrowed from 2021- able to be banked with the 2020 points, revert back to 2021, or be lost completely as well?

I'm not complaining about whatever happens, I just want to be sure I understand the options! Also, all of this is predicated on us cancelling prior to 30 days out OR Disney cancelling the reservation, right? If the resorts are open and we decide to cancel within 30 days, under the current policy they would go into holding and need to all be used by the end of the current (2020?) use year?

If the resort is closed, then here is what will happen.

Your banked 2019 UY points will be returned and still expire at the end of your 2020 UY...May 31st, 2021.

Your 2020 UY points will be returned and will be bankable as the window for that doesn’t close until January 31st, 2021.

Your borrowed 2021 UY points will be returned to 2021.

As of today, if you cancel, they are returning borrowed points, since they have not yet announced an opening date,

As soon as they do, that temporary change for borrowed points will most likely be stopped.

If the resort is closed, then here is what will happen.

Your banked 2019 UY points will be returned and still expire at the end of your 2020 UY...May 31st, 2021.

Your 2020 UY points will be returned and will be bankable as the window for that doesn’t close until January 31st, 2021.

Your borrowed 2021 UY points will be returned to 2021.

As of today, if you cancel, they are returning borrowed points, since they have not yet announced an opening date,

As soon as they do, that temporary change for borrowed points will most likely be stopped.

Thank you. That is pretty much what I thought. Either way, we can bank those 2020 points into 2021, though. As long as the parks are closed, or prior to 30 days if they do open? We're new-ish owners, so trying to be sure my understanding is clear before we make any decisions. I appreciate the help clarifying!

Thank you. That is pretty much what I thought. Either way, we can bank those 2020 points into 2021, though. As long as the parks are closed, or prior to 30 days if they do open? We're new-ish owners, so trying to be sure my understanding is clear before we make any decisions. I appreciate the help clarifying!

Yes, your banking window isn’t until January, If you are not going to cancel yet, the only other thing you need to watch for is a change in the policy regarding holding points,

Right now, even cancellations within 31 days are not being put in holding,, That could change anytime but I have a feeling we will know by mid May of the opening date,

Yes, your banking window isn’t until January, If you are not going to cancel yet, the only other thing you need to watch for is a change in the policy regarding holding points,

Right now, even cancellations within 31 days are not being put in holding,, That could change anytime but I have a feeling we will know by mid May of the opening date,

That's my hope. I'm still planning to do FP this week, but it's definitely an evolving situation. Doing my best to be informed and make the best/safest decision for us once we know more! Our plan is to make a decision prior to the 31 days. Thank you again for clarifying!

For those who put their points into RCI and want to get them back, go to the option World passport collection option in the main menu on the phone. I was on hold with member services for 45 minutes, they said yes, you get to transfer the points back and then transferred me to the RCI division and I'm on hold for another 60 minutes.

So I’m hold this morning and it’s saying we have until Dec15th to use these points. Do you think that means they plan to re-open by June 15th?

So I’m hold this morning and it’s saying we have until Dec15th to use these points. Do you think that means they plan to re-open by June 15th?

The notice said 6 months from expiration for April and June 2018 UY points that were bsnked,

I assumed that meant by Oct 1st for April and Dec 1st for June. It is interesting that is what it says. I would ask,

But, I think a June 1st opening is in the cards

The notice said 6 months from expiration for April and June 2018 UY points that were bsnked,

I assumed that meant by Oct 1st for April and Dec 1st for June. It is interesting that is what it says. I would ask,

But, I think a June 1st opening is in the cards

I agree.. Actually I think it’s for park tickets that is for Dec 15th. I’m on hold so only 1/2 listening. Either way it’s promising that they plan to open. We have June UY.

I am glad DVC has set some guidelines and criteria for what they are going to do with all of those 'lost" points. I have a Sept use year and have 67 banks points that were rented out for an April stay through David's). , If I understand this announcement, I will have to use or rent those 67 points before Sept 30. Not an easy task due to time remaining or availability. Do I understand correctly?

I am glad DVC has set some guidelines and criteria for what they are going to do with all of those 'lost" points. I have a Sept use year and have 67 banks points that were rented out for an April stay through David's). , If I understand this announcement, I will have to use or rent those 67 points before Sept 30. Not an easy task due to time remaining or availability. Do I understand correctly?

Yes, they have only allowed those banked points actually expiring during closure...it appears that hotels in May will be closed.

So, your banked points will expire as normal. Now, if the resorts stay closed until Sept 1st, then you may get the 6 month extension as well.

For those of you who had points in this situation and are getting your use year extended... did your points load back into your account yet, can you book trips with those points yet?

I am not in that situation, so I have no points due back to me, but I do have a trip scheduled in June (with non-expiring points), that I will probably reschedule for July or August. I'm wondering if you received your points yet, because I imagine that when you do, then there will be very limited availability for July and August since there will be new points back in the pool.

I know I could just cancel my June stay now, so I have the points to book July/August right now before availability dries up, but I am hesitant to do that since I am still hoping to have my June trip at my preferred resort.

Thanks.

I just spoke with RCI to get my June points back. I was told it would take 7-10 days for the points to appear in my account. I believe I might have to call to have them banked. The 2018 points will not appear in my account. They will show up in my account as "transferred in" points, visible to CM to book or re-allocate to reservations if I call in. I have 2 membership numbers. One had only 6 2018 points so I brought those back in. The other transfer I did had 110 - 2018 points and 70 - 2019 points for a total of 180 points transferred to RCI. We just aren't sure we can use them prior to November 30 so I'm not sure whether we should bring those points back. The CM wasn't sure if we could do 2 transactions, bringing back the 2019 points and the 2018 points later so we are going to think about it for a couple of days before making a decision. We would like to think we can make a trip to Aulani in November, but who knows if they will be open and what the travel restrictions will be.

For those of you who had points in this situation and are getting your use year extended... did your points load back into your account yet, can you book trips with those points yet?

I am not in that situation, so I have no points due back to me, but I do have a trip scheduled in June (with non-expiring points), that I will probably reschedule for July or August. I'm wondering if you received your points yet, because I imagine that when you do, then there will be very limited availability for July and August since there will be new points back in the pool.

I know I could just cancel my June stay now, so I have the points to book July/August right now before availability dries up, but I am hesitant to do that since I am still hoping to have my June trip at my preferred resort.

Thanks.

I was told not to expect to see them until June 5th. I was rather surprised on the specificity of the date But they said they’re doing April UY first and I’m June

I just spoke with RCI to get my June points back. I was told it would take 7-10 days for the points to appear in my account. I believe I might have to call to have them banked. The 2018 points will not appear in my account. They will show up in my account as "transferred in" points, visible to CM to book or re-allocate to reservations if I call in. I have 2 membership numbers. One had only 6 2018 points so I brought those back in. The other transfer I did had 110 - 2018 points and 70 - 2019 points for a total of 180 points transferred to RCI. We just aren't sure we can use them prior to November 30 so I'm not sure whether we should bring those points back. The CM wasn't sure if we could do 2 transactions, bringing back the 2019 points and the 2018 points later so we are going to think about it for a couple of days before making a decision. We would like to think we can make a trip to Aulani in November, but who knows if they will be open and what the travel restrictions will be.

The fact that those expired points won’t show up online leads me to believe that those points may not be an owners actual points, but rather developer points.

This could be how DVCM was able to offer owners with 2018 expired points the option. They are simply giving them free use of OTU points, People have wondered how you extend points and if it is legal,

Sounds like they transferred in DVDs own points to cover those additional bookings...well, that’s what I think anyway.

So DVC runs at 97% full and now we are supposed to find availability for 2 months worth of points in the next 5 months?

So DVC runs at 97% full and now we are supposed to find availability for 2 months worth of points in the next 5 months?

Pretty much, Some will make it work but others will not. I am sure that DVCM knew this.

However, since they didn’t have to extend those banked points at all, at least some owners will see it as a benefit.

97% usually yes, but availability is better than that at the moment, because many people have cancelled their trips. I was able to get in at places just two months in the future that I usually can't get in at when my 7 month window opens. So there is some availability, and so at least a chance to use the points this way. Something is better than nothing. It seems fair to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter