Anyone ride less then ideal public transit to work?

I would either drive or seriously consider moving closer if you intend this job to be long-term.

Do you have to be there at certain hours or can you go in early or late and leave accordingly?

Relying on MARTA is the same thing as basing your commute on traffic -- yeah, that MARTA portion could be anywhere between 10 minutes to 40 minutes. And the Express buses are obviously still subject to the same traffic your car would be. Those HOV lanes don't move any faster during rush hour - they only provide the illusion that you're moving faster. Just look for a U-Haul or something else that's easy to watch on The Connector -- you'll definitely be ahead of it at times and you'll be behind it at times. At the end of the day, you didn't really save anytime.

I take the bus to work and back every day. It’s between 35-40 minutes each way. I feel this is just long enough. It actually can be relaxing and less stressful than driving. But it being public transport, every now and then you get fellow passengers who are loud, inconsiderate, smell bad etc... But I would say that’s the minority of the time. Parking is insanely expensive where I work so the bus it is!

Multiple thoughts:

- It's less THAN ideal.
- I don't think you mentioned this: will you have to pay any tolls?
- Do you have the option to work "unpopular" hours? I mean, do you have the choice to go in a little early /a little late to avoid rush hour? Could that cut down your commute time? Do you have the option to work 4-tens instead of a typical 5-eight hour days?
- Consider that you don't have to commit to the same choice every day. You can drive a couple days a week and use transit a couple days a week.
- For the benefit of those who don't know downtown Atlanta traffic, it's INSANE! This is not tooling comfortably down a country road -- it's heavy-duty traffic, high speeds, and definitely more dangerous than what I personally consider an average drive. This makes me think public transit is worthwhile.
- I would lean towards using public transit most days -- and I'd plan to use that time wisely: reading, whatever.
- Last thought: No matter what you do, this is going to be problematic. I hope they're paying you well.

I don't think I could put up with that commute. If I liked the new job and thought I would stay for awhile I would move.

I rode the bus in one day this week, spent the day downtown doing touristy stuff, and then rode back in the afternoon. From the time I left my house until I walked into the building lobby was 1 hour 20 minutes. The bus was 20 minutes early getting to Midtown. The return was 1 hour 30 minutes, and once again the bus was about 20 minutes early getting to the park and ride lot. Traffic was lighter this week so that accounts for the 20 minute savings each way.

I was able to talk to the drivers and they said the bus is always very close to the scheduled times for both departures and arrivals and they were able to assure me that there was always a seat available, especially since I will be using the first pickup point in both directions.

I do have flexibility in my start time and can come in early and leave early to avoid some of the traffic. I think the bus will work.

Is talking about Indy 500 traffic In Atlanta, Georgia. Good luck. I will prayer for. I will stuck in traffic with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter