Anyone else eagerly awaiting reviews of the "improved" Wishes Dessert Party?

for twice the price they better have either 1) booze (not gonna happen) or 2) Mickey Mouse wrestling alligators.

If you have dietary restrictions, you should note them when you make your reservation. They don't make the desserts at the same place where they are served, and if you don't give them a heads up, they do not know to provide acceptable desserts for you.

Fruit? If you don't count natural sugar. Tea and coffee.

You will have a blast. Some folks just can't have fun at Disney without a non Disney price. Don't listen to them. It's an awesome time.

To a point I agree with this but not entirely. Most of us are willing to have fun at Disney and know there is going to be a Disney price. But some of us also reach a point where we draw a line as to how much of that Disney price we are willing to spend. For me, $50 was that line for this event. As for those who will pay that money, I agree, do so and have fun.

To a point I agree with this but not entirely. Most of us are willing to have fun at Disney and know there is going to be a Disney price. But some of us also reach a point where we draw a line as to how much of that Disney price we are willing to spend. For me, $50 was that line for this event. As for those who will pay that money, I agree, do so and have fun.

I agree with this (even though I am still undecided whether the dessert party has crossed my personal line in the sand). People have varying reasons why/how they assign particular value to any Disney activity and I find it quite condescending to imply it is simply because they are too cheap.

Thanks for the review!! I am so bummed I was planning to booked this again, we went in March '14 but the night we were at the Dessert Party it was freezing!! We held cups of hot chocolate to keep warm and our teeth were chattering as we tried to eat the desserts. From looking at the pics I feel like we had a better selection of desserts and not much is different other than the tablecloths and decorations oh and plastic flute of cider. As a family of five that are 4 Disney adults I can't justify doing it again with the price increase.:sad1:

We are pretty sure we are going to cancel and do desserts at California Grill insted. If DH wants a meal he can have one but there is nothing on the menu that I would eat.

I am planning on keeping my ADR for the Christmas party Wishes at this time. If I love it I might reconsider.

This is our first trip to Disney and I've booked the dessert party for myself, my husband, and almost 3 year old. My main thoughts were that my toddler would be able to see more at this party and that desserts could distract her so we weren't just sitting around waiting for fireworks.
Is that a fair assumption or should I just get a wishes fast pass? I'm concerned that if everyone lines up to the bannister we won't see anything at all?

This is our first trip to Disney and I've booked the dessert party for myself, my husband, and almost 3 year old. My main thoughts were that my toddler would be able to see more at this party and that desserts could distract her so we weren't just sitting around waiting for fireworks.
Is that a fair assumption or should I just get a wishes fast pass? I'm concerned that if everyone lines up to the bannister we won't see anything at all?

Yes everyone lines up at the banister however everyone is still a limited amount of people When we went we did not find the view to be bad and we really enjoyed it. The grumblings on here are mostly due to value with the price increase compared to what you had before and the fireworks parties at the other parks.

Also the lining up at the banister will begin later than if you FP it. I have even seen complaints about the FP viewing area however that seems to go by the day.

I've also read that some folks are able to sit at their tables and still watch the fireworks. I'll know for sure on August 5th! Getting excited!

We did speak to a CM who declined to intervene and to a supervisor after the show. And, of course, he was asked by several people to remove the child. He was combative and rude. Some people are jerks and you aren't always able to control the situation.

This is so weird to me (CM won't intervene) because if you do just about anything wrong at Disney (not move all the way across a row to the end, cross under a rope of any kind, step into a certain area, walk through the FP station) a CM will (quickly) be all over you telling you what to do. Yet here, people are paying money, and one person is stepping out of line, and they won't do anything. Just so odd.

Hello everyone! I'd said earlier on the thread that I would report back with my experience after we returned home, so here I am!

we did the dessert party on 7/15, and it was our first time at the party, so I have no frame of reference regarding the other one!

My pictures aren't a whole lot different than anyone else's, except I took about a million of the castle and fireworks more than the desserts!
I will have the pictures up on my trip report in a couple of days :)

We were one of the first people in line waiting, maybe 10 people ahead of us? It does look very pretty on the Terrace, with the sunset glowing in the distance, and the lanterns glowing on the tables. There's a nice atmosphere. You are greeted by the party CMs, offered a glass of sparkling cider, and taken to your table. I'm easy to please, because I LOVED seeing the little card with our name on it at the table. We were dead center in front of the castle.

This is taken from my seat, but off to the side a bit, because the ice cream guy was also in front of our table.

The desserts were good, not spectacular, but I wasn't expecting them to be. To be honest, I appreciated that they weren't crazy heavy, since the hour was growing late and the day had been so warm. Eating rich desserts at 930pm on a 90 degree July day in central Florida just seems like a recipe for disaster, LOL.

My kids enjoyed the ice cream sundae cart, but DH and I didn't have any.

The only thing that I was disappointed about was that it still seemed crowded to me. Granted, it was MUCH better than being out in the crowd on Main Street or in the FP area, but I felt like we still had to fight a little for our spots at the railing once Wishes began. We went to the railing when the first people started stirring and moving up there, so I thought we'd be safe, but slowly our area began to shrink, and before we knew it, the boys were at the railing and DH and I had to stand behind them. It didn't diminish our view that much, but it was still irritating, mostly because it was adults, not kids, doing the shoving.

The view of Tink making her flight from the castle was perfect, and the fireworks were beautiful.

Now, for the big question...would we book it again?

Maybe.

I'm going to be honest with you, the cost is a non-issue for us. Not because we're loaded, but because it was paid for so long ago, that it just wasn't even on our minds. Was it pricey at the time of payment? Yes. But, again,it was paid for months ago. It will not enhance your enjoyment of a thing to sit and think about what it costs. If I did that, I'm not sure I could enjoy anything. I hate spending money, and it annoys my husband to no end, so this is the word of a cheapskate (although I don't clutch the wallet so tightly at Disney!)

Was it worth it?

To us, sure! At least for a one time experience. It was nice not being crushed to death by the crowds on main street and feeling not-so-magical-feelings for the other people around us. The most I felt at the party was mild irritation, mostly at myself, for not holding my ground at the rail, LOL!! Elbows out!!

I loved seeing the faces of everyone as they watched the fireworks and listened to the music (and to those of you who asked if the sound was brought in, I honestly could not tell you. I could hear everything perfectly, and was too in the moment to notice if it was coming from a speaker or just loud enough from the castle...I suspect it was a speaker on the terrace, because it was loud and clear)

If you have any specific questions, I'll answer as best I can, and like I said, I'll have more photos in my trip report, but they're mostly of fireworks and the dessert buffet, which are pretty much the same as the ones that have already been posted.

I hope this was helpful to someone!!

I totally agree.
Also wouldn't it be considered dangerous, having a kid on your shoulders whilst standing at the front of the railing?
I haven't been, so don't know what you see when you look over the railing. Is there a drop or something?
I said before no one better put their kid on their shoulders at the party in front of me or I will be demanding a refund!

This is so weird to me (CM won't intervene) because if you do just about anything wrong at Disney (not move all the way across a row to the end, cross under a rope of any kind, step into a certain area, walk through the FP station) a CM will (quickly) be all over you telling you what to do. Yet here, people are paying money, and one person is stepping out of line, and they won't do anything. Just so odd.

Most of the CMs I have encountered have been very non-confrontational. For example, running and yelling kids in restaurants...I have never seen that dealt with. Not once. I have seen kids put themselves in harm's way without a word from CMs (climbing on stuff, etc). I think they expect parents to parent. I have never seen a CM make anyone move to the end of the row. Sorry my experience is so odd to you. Feel free to choose not to believe me, I have no emotional investment whatsoever (anymore) since it was a year and half ago and we have had a do over since then. I was simply explaining why we haven't yet had our ideal dessert party experience, I don't think I was being a drama llama in any way. Oh, and I am not even the only person to report rude people at the dessert party, I have read other reports of view blocking though mine seems to be the most egregious.

Thanks for the excellent and balanced review, @xlsm! "Elbows out!" made me laugh. I have our place cards in my "to be scrapbooked before I die" collection. I think it is a really nice touch.

It looks like you were in the railing section nearest the hostess stand/entrance where the tables are almost up against the railing? Where the railing comes back from the "peninsula" jutting out past the overhang where most people stand, is that correct? Just curious. :)

Thanks for the excellent and balanced review, @xlsm! "Elbows out!" made me laugh. I have our place cards in my "to be scrapbooked before I die" collection. I think it is a really nice touch.

It looks like you were in the railing section nearest the hostess stand/entrance where the tables are almost up against the railing? Where the railing comes back from the "peninsula" jutting out past the overhang where most people stand, is that correct? Just curious. :)

We were about halfway between the entrance and the food. It seemed to me like the most central view of the castle. We were set back quite a way from the railing. There was another table right behind us and to the right, then there was a pole thing kind of between us and the women at the two top to our left. I may have imagined the pole.

Ignore whatever my kid is doing with his nose, but here's a better view:

Thanks for answering! We were at the table immediately to your left our second time and it was pretty perfect, though my kid did feel compelled to stake his railing claim pretty early on...very similar experience to yours. Still much better than the Hub. :)

Most of the CMs I have encountered have been very non-confrontational. For example, running and yelling kids in restaurants...I have never seen that dealt with. Not once. I have seen kids put themselves in harm's way without a word from CMs (climbing on stuff, etc). I think they expect parents to parent. I have never seen a CM make anyone move to the end of the row. Sorry my experience is so odd to you. Feel free to choose not to believe me, I have no emotional investment whatsoever (anymore) since it was a year and half ago and we have had a do over since then. I was simply explaining why we haven't yet had our ideal dessert party experience, I don't think I was being a drama llama in any way. Oh, and I am not even the only person to report rude people at the dessert party, I have read other reports of view blocking though mine seems to be the most egregious.

I don't know why you are taking my comment so personally? I never even noticed your username until now.

I am just saying the CM behavior is weird in this case because they go nuts when other rules get tested, yet they let people disturb others and don't do a thing in a paying situation.

I've read through some of these pages but not all so I apologize if this was covered.

How early do you advise getting in line and does it matter? Are the little cards already pre-assigned on the tables or is it first come - better table? Or does that matter at all anyway. Sounds like it doesn't as people line up at the rail. I swear I'm having so much anxiety about things I read on here I'm fearing the dreaded kids on shoulders situation and I'd like a table closer to the rail so when i see people start moving we can too. We will stand behind our kids though allowing other kids or shorter people to the railing.

Thanks

We've attended the party twice, once before it became really popular (and perhaps around the time they first started offering it) and the second time in 2013, so both times before the changes. From my perspective I would NOT do this again because of the price increase. Having said that, I also wouldn't advise someone to NEVER do it because it is perhaps worth doing at least once. It is crowded, but not near as bad as watching from main street, and nice to have a semi-reserved spot. Our experience last time is that you do need to stand by the railing early to get a good spot but that's nothing like trying to get a spot on main street.

How many rows deep are people at the railing? Is it like kids up front and parents behind or could you have like 4 rows of people in front of you? I want my 9 yr old to be able to see relatively easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter