Another stroller question...

amylevan

DIS Veteran
I'm flying down by myself with my 8month old son next weekend. We're staying with my snowbird parents. I have 2 strollers and am having a horrible time deciding which one to bring.

It's a short trip: thurs-mon and we'll probably only do 3 park days. And possibly not even full. My parents have annual passes, and just bought me one so that I could come this weekend and then next winter for a longer trip. So this isn't a "see as much as possible" trip. It's more like a "get me out of the snow" trip.

Stroller 1 is the graco travel system stroller. Huge, but has storage, cupholders, reclines and is comfortable for baby.

Stroller 2 is here. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2585640&CAWELAID=107520410 Umbrella stroller with tiny storage, no cupholders, reclines a whopping 4". But is super light, easy to fold, carry, etc.

It's just me and baby, so I'm a little nervous getting through airline security. The umbrella could just fold up and go through the machine, but what about the graco? It's huge! How do I go through security with that thing?

I'm assuming the umbrella is probably easier for the whole gate checking as well.

But while actually in disney, I assume the graco is more comfortable for everyone. Plus, he can nap easier since it fully reclines. But again, it's a short trip. A few days in the umbrella won't kill him. And the umbrella navigates crowds a little easier.

Is it as hard as I'm imagining to take the graco on the plane? Other thoughts?

I had the same question with my son who was under two both times we have gone so far. I ended actually purchasing a third (yes third) stroller which we use as our primary stroller now. I think it was around $40 using a discount and well worth it. The umbrella stroller, for me, is horriable in the parks. I love the cup holders and extra space to store stuff. The travel system, which we brought our first trip, was a pain to lug around when folded, and bulky. Here's a link to the one we bought (different model).

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3424032

Its not the best for everyday, but great for Disney! If it comes between the two you have I would go with the travel system one. When u have all the extra stuff for a baby, you just need somewhere to put it, plus naps in the stroller come in handy! GOOD LUCK!:flower3:

As for the Airport, if strollers are to big to be put on the belt, they will just walk it through, and when you get on the plane, they will take it for you and store it right before you board. When you land they will have it waiting for you at the exit. It will be fine! Hope this helps!

It's definitely a matter of personal preference.

When we've traveled with our 14 month old, we take the Maclaren umbrella stroller rather than our large stroller. But then, we rarely use the large stroller except for walks in the park.

It is true that the umbrella isn't as comfortable and we have to hang our diaper bag on the handlebars because it doesn't fit in the basket. However, we have found that it is easier to get on and off buses and monorails and planes than our larger stroller. Also, our baby naps fine in the umbrella stroller (but he is an easy sleeper) -- we just put a lightweight blanket over the canopy to keep it dark.

I took my Graco travel system stroller to Disney 4 times. It was fabulous! It held a TON of stuff and it wasn't tough to take on the plane at all. It is a pain to fold it up and put it through the x-ray machine, but other than that it was great. You can roll your child all the way to the plane in it, then just take your kid out and fold it down. They will have it waiting for you o nthe jetway when you get to your destination, too. For a child that young, I would take the big stroller for sure! My DS napped in that stroller like a champ at Disney. He never coudl haev done that in an umbrella stroller.

Oh my goodness go with the COMFY Stroller!!!

Trust me, I have flown home twice and used my comfy graco once and my umbrella CHICCO the other time becuase everyone suggested it would be easier.

WRONG!.

It may seem like the Graco is so huge and awkward at first, but you will be glad you did when baby is sleeping comfortably rather than screaming his/her head off because he/she is uncomfortable.

Just my experience.

I've gone to WDW with all kinds of strollers. Keep in mind that you'll have to fold the stroller to go through security. Do you have a baby carrier of some sort so that your hands can be free to fold the stroller when you get to security? My favorite WDW travel stroller is our Peg Perego Aria. You can fold it with one hand (so you can actually hold the baby and while you fold the stroller). It also has a decent storage basket and it reclines.

The first time I traveled with our Graco travel system, I forgot that I had to fold the stroller. DH and the older kids had already gone through the metal detector and I had baby, carseat, and stroller. I took baby out of his carseat and put that through, then I realized that I had to fold the stroller. DS was only 5 mos at the time, so he couldn't stand or anything. I couldn't believe I didn't think to fold the stroller before I took the baby out of his carseat. The TSA agent ended up holding the baby so I could fold the stroller. :eek:

As a mom who has taken countless flights on my own with DS (and done Disney on my own with DS) I would take the lightweight stroller. DS had fun, and even napped, at 6 months in the Kolcraft stroller you can buy at Disney (which has minimal recline). By 8 months, I had upgraded to a Maclaren Triumph, still, no huge recline, but he did just fine.

The good news was I could manage him, the stroller, and our stuff (a backpack style carryon is ideal, because then you can gate check the stroller and easily carry baby with carryon on your back). The backpack also is great in the parks, as you'll spend a lot of time with baby out of the stroller, so easier to have a bit less to carry.

If you take the Graco on your own, and try to navigate getting on/off the airplane, etc - it will very challenging. Sometimes people are nice and try to help. Sometimes, they are unbelievably rude and make things even harder for you. You will need plan to be able to hold baby, collapse stroller, get it up on the belt with your carryon, walk thru the machine, and then holding baby, get it off, unfolded, etc.

As a mom who has taken countless flights on my own with DS (and done Disney on my own with DS) I would take the lightweight stroller. DS had fun, and even napped, at 6 months in the Kolcraft stroller you can buy at Disney (which has minimal recline). By 8 months, I had upgraded to a Maclaren Triumph, still, no huge recline, but he did just fine.

The good news was I could manage him, the stroller, and our stuff (a backpack style carryon is ideal, because then you can gate check the stroller and easily carry baby with carryon on your back). The backpack also is great in the parks, as you'll spend a lot of time with baby out of the stroller, so easier to have a bit less to carry.

If you take the Graco on your own, and try to navigate getting on/off the airplane, etc - it will very challenging. Sometimes people are nice and try to help. Sometimes, they are unbelievably rude and make things even harder for you. You will need plan to be able to hold baby, collapse stroller, get it up on the belt with your carryon, walk thru the machine, and then holding baby, get it off, unfolded, etc.

This is the nightmare I was envisioning. I think I'll just take the umbrella stroller. It's a short trip, and if he's really that uncomfortable in the stroller, I do have a baby bjorn. At least I can hold baby and the stroller. The graco is just so bulky.

I have traveled across the country with just me and my DD several times. I recommend the big stroller. You can put ALL your stuff in it. And the security really isn't that bad. I have ALWAYS had someone volunteer to help with the stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter