Another money grab...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think that people should be respectful about their alcohol consumption and not get hammered and disruptive, but I see that as a guideline for enjoying alcohol out pretty much anywhere in public in general, not just at Disney.

My perspective is that Disney is a fun place for families, and it should be. It's also a fun place for DINKs like my husband and me and our childless friends to go and have cocktails and enjoy ourselves. As long as everyone is behaving responsibility, I don't see any reason why those two paradigms can't coexist.

Those of us that don't have kids would never suggest that people should have to stop bringing them because a screaming tantrum has the potential to ruin our romantic viewing of the firework show. We understand that other people love bringing their families, and the small potential for a disruption of our experience shouldn't remove the privilege for everyone else to enjoy Disney their own most magical way.

When you're in public places, there's always the chance that someone else's bad behavior might bother you. My advice would be to just focus on the fun with your own family and don't worry about what other people are doing.

PS. I think that the pricing on alcohol at Disney does act as a good limitation on bad behavior. Most people who can afford to get belligerently hammered at Disney are old enough not to. Your average frat boy isn't going to buy ten $15 margaritas. There's always the exception, but we're local and we go to the parks allllll the time. Only once have I ever seen a guest who had clearly had much too much to drink. It was at Epcot during F&W, and the cast was handling it quickly and professionally.

One thing comes to mind after hearing so many people chime in here...
Maybe demographics are changing so much that they just really to look wider for customers. When DL was built, people had three, four kids. Families are shrinking, people have kids later, or none at all. Different considerations, different priorities, different demographics in the parks.

Ok...well from my original post I have not been condescending, as has been suggested . I have never said that alcohol doesn't belong in the parks . Never meant to pass any judgements on those who responsibly drink at WDW. What I have said , and it is just my opinion , never meant to be presented as fact , is that the continued trend of Disney making more places to buy alcohol has the very real potential to create problems that they don't want . That no one wants . This was not meant to offend anyone or to tell or suggest how anyone spend their money and time on their vacation . I respect all of your opinions even if we disagree on some of them . Some people have totally and completely misunderstood my intentions and tone for some reason and for that I apologize for not making my opinion clearer .
I thought your opinion was pretty clear. :upsidedow

I honestly cant see things getting out of hand at AK. Epcot, yes. World showcase is very inviting for such things. But AK?? Its a place you'd have a drink or two...but it doesnt have that type of environment where you'd hang out all day and drink. Its the type of place you'd have a couples of drinks then move on.
Of course anything is possible. Keep in mind though that the lounge is just a trial period. AND! They open at 5pm until park close. Thats not too bad.

Maybe im way off base here...feel free to disagree with me. :teeth:

One thing that really bothers me is when "family friendly" is made to mean "alcohol free".

Thank goodness those that feel this way have nice safe places like Applebee's to retreat to.[/QUOTE

I’d only go so far as to say that it’s nice if kids can observe adults having fun sometimes without alcohol. But family friendly places can serve cocktails, IMHO.

Let's try to remember that families come in all shapes & sizes so applying the term "family friendly" to a mom & dad & young children can be insulting. This is why these anti alcohol threads annoy me so much. It's like only wild party animal adults who have total disregard for the children around them drink while "families" are alcohol free.

who

Let's try to remember that families come in all shapes & sizes so applying the term "family friendly" to a mom & dad & young children can be insulting. This is why these anti alcohol threads annoy me so much. It's like only wild party animal adults who have total disregard for the children around them drink while "families" are alcohol free.

who

Exactly. It's the two of us and we like to eat at restaurants that families also eat at. We will have a cocktail and some wine, but don't worry, your kids will be fine. ;)

We usually have our kids with us, and we frequently have wine and/or beer. And if someone, in Disney or not, has "overindulged" near us ... we take that as a great opportunity to teach kids about responsibility around alcohol.

One thing that really bothers me is when "family friendly" is made to mean "alcohol free".

Thank goodness those that feel this way have nice safe places like Applebee's to retreat to.

My husband has a bell that says "Ring for Beer." When he rings it, our 14 year old son runs down and gets him a beer. The bell was given to my husband as a Christmas gift, from that son, when he was 12. He thought it was funny. My kids know alcohol is for adults. They have no desire to try it. They won't even try soda (they are weird kids).

Drinking around kids isn't a problem. Kids need to be taught about and exposed to "adult things" when they are kids. That's how they learn responsible behavior. Sheltering them leads to bad decisions down the line, when they finally are exposed to these things.

Seeing overly served people at the theme parks should be a teaching moment, not something you should fear your kids seeing.

Well aware of all the places alcohol is being served and is now available . That is kind of the point . More places to buy alcohol is not better for any one .Having it available at select , limited locations is my point . Especially at, but not limited to, MK & AK .

Actually it IS better for some. I enjoy drinking at Disney parks, and appreciate more options totally.

I do not understand your point at all. If we're willing to pay the price for a drink, we're happy. If you choose not to drink at a park, that is your right. It is not your right to say others shouldn't enjoy their drinks. That is insane.

Obviously you haven't traveled abroad, where teens may drink freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter