Another money grab...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes you need a break from your family on vacation. Especially on vacation. I don't know about you, but at home, we are not together in the same "space" 24/7. Sharing a room and spending every second together stresses everyone out at times. We have had our fair share of fights, catty moments, and just times where the kids are just being loud and hyper and you need to step away. That doesn't make you a bad person, or a bad parent. Stepping away and taking a breather, however that looks, be it to get a drink at a bar, go for a run/workout, have an adults only dinner...whatever...It makes you a better person for taking that time you need to decompress and recharge.

This past trip, my husband took an afternoon to spend time at World Showcase and have a few beers in a couple countries, enjoyed a spontaneous lunch at Restaurant Marrakesh, and just wander around. This is something he really wanted to do, and not something our kids would have tolerated, so I encouraged him to go solo. I took the kids to the pool. We ALL had a blast that day, and later in the trip, he took the kids to the pool without me, while I did laundry (not thrilling, but peaceful quiet time for me to read my book in the room with no noise). I never consider those types of things to be missing out on building family memories. We don't all have to do the same things at the same times to build good memories.

This is how we vacation, too. Not sure I like it to be too overly easy for the guys to cut out, though! DH shouldn’t miss out on our quality line time. LOL

Yes, that’s a popular argument, of course.

It was just nice to have a family place where even the weaker links of the family could be comfortably accommodated. And I’ll just leave it at that.

An adult is responsible for his or her own self and actions. No one should feel they have a responsibility to "accommodate" another adult. The person would have to decide for him/her self what they are strong enough to be around and remove themself from triggering environments. That's part of the growth and responsibility process for people who struggle with addiction. "Taking care" of another adult who needs to personally grow can be enabling them.

Back to the original topic, one more bar isn't going to make much of an impact, if any, in a park that already serve alcohol.

An adult is responsible for his or her own self and actions. No one should feel they have a responsibility to "accommodate" another adult. The person would have to decide for him/her self what they are strong enough to be around and remove themself from triggering environments. That's part of the growth and responsibility process for people who struggle with addiction. "Taking care" of another adult who needs to personally grow can be enabling them.

Back to the original topic, one more bar isn't going to make much of an impact, if any, in a park that already serve alcohol.

You’re killing me here. You’ve leaped from accommodating relatives who are boorish to enabling addicts. You guys really need to go pour a cocktail and lighten up.

Animal Kingdom is my favorite park and one of the reasons is because of all the places they have to enjoy an afternoon libation, enjoy the atmosphere and listen to music. :)

On another thread we were discussing (I think an old rumor) how awesome it would be if Haunted Mansion opened a lounge. It could be on the veranda of the mansion.
"Come enjoy spirits with spirits!"

Animal Kingdom is my favorite park and one of the reasons is because of all the places they have to enjoy an afternoon libation, enjoy the atmosphere and listen to music. :)

On another thread we were discussing (I think an old rumor) how awesome it would be if Haunted Mansion opened a lounge. It could be on the veranda of the mansion.
Yes, please. Get the blueprints ready.

OK, now I'm back in the game. How awesome would that be. I imagine green glowing drinks served by zombies in HM attire. Hitch hiking ghosts sitting hologramed next to you.

Walt lived decades ago and was an innovator at the time who continually changed and updated things. Just look at Walt’s changes to Mickey. If he had lived longer I have no doubt he would have continued to change and improve the parks. I doubt he would have been pleased if the parks had stayed the same for decades after he died. This is why I get annoyed when people talk about how changes would have upset Walt.

Walt's booze free theme parks were for a specific reason. Rob lays it out pretty well in this video:

I know for a fact I wouldn't go as often if all the parks were booze free. I managed fine on our 1 or 2 MK days, but always had more fun at EP, HS and AK. I'm not saying I wouldn't go at all, just that I would go once for the kids, and have no need to return for subsequent trips for me!

Why do people think others drink solely to get drunk? My husband is a craft beer enthusiast and he never gets drunk when he drinks beer.

I only have a drink on special occasions and I consider my trip to be one of those occasions.

Also, stop worrying about what other people are doing, for heaven’s sake! It never ceases to amaze me how riled up people get by how other people spend their time and money.

Maybe it's just my odd Canadian view of things... but I'm more bothered by the fact that you can buy beer at the gas stations in America than by the fact that you can buy alcohol anywhere in WDW. At least they have substantial food choices at WDW...

Funny, I don't see anyone posting about rampant obesity every time Disney offers some new and gargantuan dessert that clearly has multiple days worth of sugar in a partial serving. No one talking about all the people consuming desserts, or wait... maybe that happened too and that's why they don't offer dessert on the QS plans anymore. Guess Disney switched it to alcohol instead of dessert. So, wait a minute, perhaps Disney has to increase alcohol availability due to the Disney Dining Plan - because the demand now exists for all those 21+ Disney Diners who now have Alcohol Credits they need to cash in to get their money's worth for EVERY lunch or dinner QS meal. Basically - all QS is going to have to offer some wine or beer or specialty drinks...right?

Rather than a money grab, this seems to be an increase in demand by consumers of the Disney Dining Plan. Everyone wants their money's worth don't they.
But really, who cares. As long as you aren't hurting anyone else, drink, don't drink, eat, don't eat, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Well, I do agree with the OP. The thing is, Disney parks have always been places where families and friends gather together and have Fun. Let’s face it...families are complex, as are groups of friends. All it takes is one person in the group who is very “booze focused,” and suddenly the day’s agenda changes, the time on attractions with the kids diminishes, the search for family-friendly snacks goes on the back burner, etc., etc.

I just think it’s a healthier, happier time if liquor isn’t around every corner. And I say this even though I’m a girl who very much enjoys an Old Fashioned.

The thing is that that one person will find alcohol somewhere, and even if the entire WDW complex was dry there would be the booze problem. My coworker and her family took their first trip 3 years ago, and her DH insisted they rent a car....so he could go buy his beer. He was drunk the whole time and not from booze in the parks. This was and is their normal. It is not mine, so there could be a bar at every attraction and there woudl nto be an issue in my family.

I also find it odd that some posters don't see that a "money grab" is not the same thing as "maximizing profits".

I also don't think that a place where family and friends gather necessarily means that has to be without alcohol.

True story. My home is that place and you will always find a bottle of red wine open on the counter ready to share.

I just love Victory beers! Would you happen to know if they have others? Huge fan of Summer Love. But I only drink daft beers.

I saw only the Golden Monkey there and IMO the best part was that it was on tap. You can always find interesting beers in bottles and cans at a liquor store, but on tap in a theme park, not so much.

Hmmmmm....I wlll tell JEff. He is lookign forward to tryign more beers now that he has two more people to share them with.

THANK YOU! Part of my vacation budget is “Mickey ear-ed” for alcohol!! Always looking for new things to try!!

Golden Monkey is an outstanding brew!

To the discussion at hand—one of the reasons we choose to vacation at WDW is the transportation. We are often a group of 11 people, and we can all come and go as we please separately. We can also sample some interesting drinks and catch a buzz without worrying about DUI.

I was at the beach yesterday with a couple of friends. We happened on a fun bar/beach club with a kicking happy hour. After two drinks, though, we left because one of us was driving home, and we didn’t want to leave her out.

Two things about that—except for the happy hour selections, all the drinks there were as expensive as Disney’s. And two, if we were at Disney, we could have stayed there as late as we wanted and rode home on their bus.

I love boozy theme parks. Two years ago my husband and I brought my mother, my out of control little brother, my mother in law, and our nine year old twins to WDW. I wouldn't have survived (maybe THEY wouldn't have survived) without the plentiful libations around the parks.

Don't like it? Don't go. People who want to drink are going to either do it in the parks, pre-game before hand, or sneak it in anyway. :confused3

You skipped the part where I said that I went out on my own to ride some of the other rides. Most of the kids would not be able to ride the rides I wanted to ride, so should I make them sit on a park bench while I ride something they weren't able to. Also you missed the part where I would meet for meals (actually it was more than that things like pools etc)

As to being "forced" to build family memories. Most of my wife's family, I am not just talking mom, brothers, sisters and their immediate offspring. I am talking aunts, uncles, cousins and their spouses and offspring. They have big family gatherings every Thanksgiving and Cristmas. Add in birthday celebrations, weddings, and just "because" get togethers which I look forward to plus the several cruises we have done together, I have/had plenty of time to build family memories. I do not need to spend every second with them at a theme park to build family memories.

The premise of the OP is that the precence of alchol somehow inhibits family togetherness. Everyday families have get togethers where alchol is present, doesn't seem to inhibit family togetherness in those instance.

He said it could lead to problems in the future. As someone else said, that eating too many desserts might lead to obesity in the future. Using his logic, then we should ban desserts in the parks.

The OP expressed his opinion, and everyone else on this thread is expressing their opinion. Who is to say which opinion is "correct". Disney has identified a demand and are trying to fulfill the demand, by adding additional lounges. It is not a "money grab", it is capitalism at work. I think charging parking fees at the economy resorts is a money grab, as most like hotels off property do not charge for parking.

Disney basically transformed Downtown Disney into a shopping center. I personally don't think the world needs another shopping center, but Disney felt there was a demand for it so they built it.

Let’s just call them vehement. :love1:

I used the wrong wording in that I’m not talking about influencing other people to drink — they just push to go spend time at the cocktail outlets instead of doing other things.

And another poster mentioned ditching out for awhile because he was bored with the family time. Fair enough, but if the option wasn’t there to go have a tall cool one, he may have been “forced” to stick around and build family memories.

My view on alcohol being served in the parks - if you want to drink, go right ahead. If you don't want to drink, then don't. It is really only an issue if somebody gets so wasted that they become a nuisance to other guests, in which case they should be dealt with accordingly, as should any guest who is being a nuisance sober, drunk or anywhere in between.

I think it’s funny that nobody can/will say that a booze-less family theme park could be an okay thing. Even though that’s what DL was, as created by Walt Disney.

I personally do not have any horrible personal experience with drinkers in the parks. I’ve just given thoughts on why a decision could rationally be made to minimize liquor throughout the parks.

But Walt didn’t live in the “Me Times.” People now have to have their personal wants fulfilled. Happily, there are new Disney sheriffs in town who are happy to accommodate and grab any and all cash.

You are forgetting Walt had a hidden club in his park that served alcohol. He was ok with drinking, as long as you were one of his chosen few. He was very much all about "me" when it came to him.

*THIS* Club 33 at Disneyland has always served alcohol to members, so in that respect Disneyland has never been a dry park, and Walt didn’t have any issue with alcohol being served in select venues. I suspect that is why Disney found it easy to introduce alcohol at TS restaurants in the Magic Kingdom a few years ago.

I honestly don’t understand why anyone would be concerned about “after 5pm” drinks being added to a counter service venue at AK. Many of the other counter service venues serve alcohol as early as 11am. Flame Tree BBQ and Satuli Canteen are perfect examples. Heck, the signature non-alcoholic and instagramable Night Blossom beverage in Pandora was changed after a few months to have a non-alcoholic and alcoholic version. But I don’t see any stories of people suddenly stumbling around the Valley of Moara like drunken bumbling idiots.

Disney also has uniformed and plain clothes security throughout the parks that will step in if any individual gets completely out of hand, thus maintaining the fun for all ages atmosphere that we’ve all come to know and love.

My view on alcohol being served in the parks - if you want to drink, go right ahead. If you don't want to drink, then don't. It is really only an issue if somebody gets so wasted that they become a nuisance to other guests, in which case they should be dealt with accordingly, as should any guest who is being a nuisance sober, drunk or anywhere in between.
My husband doesn't drink. Not interested in even one beer. Me? I love having a glass of wine or cider while people watching at Epcot. Or a mixed drink with my churros at the lounge. Or even one of each, in succession, as I move through my day.

I don't get drunk. Heck, I don't even get tipsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter