• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anniversary (FREE) Dining around the World!

You're scaring me! I finally convinced DH to try CDF and I keep reading terrible reviews. At this point, I'm wondering if I should cancel CDF and book Raglan since they seem to be getting consistently wonderful reviews.

Hmmm. popcorn::

Seriously, I loved Raglan Road and I'd go back in a heartbeat! There were several other things on the menu I'd love to try - after all, fish and chips aren't that exciting! But it was good. And the desserts are pure heaven on a plate!!!

Kara, You didn't catch Claudia on a bad time. We had her 2 Saturdays ago. Atrocious is a compliment to the level of service we recieved! Check our our experience here...if you dare!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1960970&page=3

I felt the same way as you. Definitely not worth the cost.

Karen

I need to check out your report.... Poor girl, she was really sweet, just not a very good server. I couldn't punish her for that because I did feel she was trying, just in over her head.... But it was the food I was the most disappointed in. :sad2:

Kara - I didn't like my dinner at CDF but my DH and I loved the French Onion Soup and my Creme Brulee was warm and yummy. I would like to try lunch there sometime. Or just go for the soup and dessert. Really, we paid way to much money for a not so good meal.

I love creme brulee when it's done right! But this was so very wrong! We didn't try the soup though as neither one of us are big French Onion fans. I think by advertising "French" food, they get away with the higher price tag, but I'd try a local steak house before heading back there....

I'll try to get Tutto Italia posted later today!!!!

Kara, You didn't catch Claudia on a bad time. We had her 2 Saturdays ago. Atrocious is a compliment to the level of service we recieved! Check our our experience here...if you dare!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1960970&page=3

I felt the same way as you. Definitely not worth the cost.

Karen

I just read your review and you were DEAD ON!!! "cute only goes so far" is so true. My husband thought she was adorable, but I think we only saw her a couple of times, too. Basically, she's just not cut out for the job, as she appeared to be "in the weeds" (old server speak!!! :rotfl: ) the whole night, and apparently it was still carrying over from the night you were there!

I also loved "gravy on a sock" would have tasted good! Too funny!:rotfl2:

Can't wait for the next review. Your pictures are great.

But if she was weeded, her manager should have been helping. Where was he when y'all were getting horrific service?

After reading your's and SoonipiLady's reviews, I called to cancel CDF and booked Raglan Road. I already feel better. I just didn't want to run the risk of meeting up with Claudia.:scared:

Our ADR for Tutto Italia was late on Friday, 8pm, but since we'd already seen Illuminations a bazillion times, we were fine with that.

We arrived and were seated almost immediately. In fact, we had no problem with seating at any of our ADRs this trip.

Epcot-WSTuttoItalia.jpg

Epcot-WSTuttomenu.jpg

Now let me just say that I was a little worried about this dinner, kind of like Jeff was worried about Raglan Road. After all, I can get Italian food just about anywhere, right? WRONG! This was a fantastic meal and quickly made the rise on our list of favorite restaurants at Disney!

We were seated in the main dining room and it was beautiful! And as open as it was, surprisingly, it wasn't that noisy!

Epcot-Tuttoinside3.jpg

Epcot-Tutto2inside.jpg

Epcot-Tuttoinside1.jpg

Now I cannot remember our server's name, but he was excellent. He was always there when we needed him, and very knowledgable of the menu. As I've said before, I always go with the server's recommendation and he did us right!

One thing that Tutto had was a lot of server assistants. This helped with keeping drinks fille, delivering bread, etc.

Speaking of bread, I loved the bread selection here....

Epcot-Tuttobread.jpg

Jeff saw the table next to us order calamari and he decided that he couldn't leave without it. So after ordering drinks, we asked our server for the calamari - officially called Calamari Fritti - with spicy marinara sauce. The sauce was excellent and the calamari was cooked perfectly!!! No rubbery squid here! And yes, the sauce did have a "kick" to it!

Epcot-Tuttocalamari.jpg

For our entrees, Jeff and I both ordered the same thing again! I know that makes for a boring review, but this was sooo good! Our server told us that we can get seafood or steaks anywhere, so when in Italy, we need to order pasta! OK, we're sold!

We ordered the Tagliolini con Granchio, Pomodorini Alle Erbe - tagliolini pasta topped with crabmeat, sweet tomato and garlic and it was wonderful!!! The pasta was all HOMEMADE too! Nobody told us, but Jeff knew it right away. Wonderful and fresh!

Epcot-Tuttodinner.jpg

Now I forgot to take a pic before we mixed in all the crabmeat, but it was a nice sized serving right on top of the pasta, with a light sauce. No Ragu here!

For dessert, Jeff went with the recommendation, but alas, I strayed, and paid the price. :sad2:

I ordered the Gianduja - Chocolate Torta - chocolate and hazelnut torte with whipped cream and raspberry sauce cause I'm a sucker for hazelnut, but to me it tasted too much like pure cocoa, and I couldn't eat it. I'm sure it was good, just not for me this time.

Epcot-TuttoKarasdessert2.jpg

Jeff got the Profiteroles (I think!) and they were wonderful!!! This is what I expected in France but didn't get. Can you believe we didn't get canoli????

Epcot-TuttoJeffsdessert.jpg

These were so light and airy, and wonderful!!!!

If we had paid out of pocket we would have spent:

Wine $15
Beer $7
Calamari $13
Entrees 2 @ $27 ea = $54
Desserts $20
Total before tip $109
20% tip rounded up $22
TOTAL $131

In my opinion? Worth every penny. I know that you can have a nice dinner in most towns for less than $100, including drinks, but c'mon this is Disney!!! It's all overinflated, so with all that considered, it was worth it "Disney style!"

Food A - fresh, fresh, fresh!!!
Service A - in and out in less than an hour.
Value B+
Atmosphere B+

Overall A-

Loved Tutto Italia!!! It had a romantic feel about it, but of course there were lots of families there. They were very busy when we arrived, but we were treated like we were the only ones there, from the great service, to the fresh food that tasted like we were the only ones they were cooking for.

And this felt like an Italian restaurant, again.... Disney style. I would highly recommend!

Up next, a couple of counter service reviews!!!!

Oh man - I LOVE looking at pictures of the food at Tutto's!
3.gif

I think a pp may be right about Chefs - try it for lunch instead. That place is way too expensive to risk a lousy dining experience. With that being said, I did enjoy our meal there in June. We were seated way in the back, by the dessert station - very open and roomy. We also had a window seat, which was nice. Our server was an older gentleman and he was very atttentive; the food was ok - but like you said, nothing great.

Anyway, we'll probably return sometime in the future - if only because my DD thinks they have very cute pastry chefs!:lovestruc

I'll throw in a few counter service reviews, too....

Our first day we ate lunch at Tangierine Cafe in Morocco - we have eaten at Restaurant Marakkesh before but we've been interested in the counter service here for quite some time. Let me just say it is my new favorite counter service in ALL of WDW!!!

First of all, I love Morocco in Epcot. I just think it's beautiful, and the weather was pleasant enough that we were able to eat lunch outside this day, and people watch, which is always fun in itself! ;)

Epcot-WSMorocco1-1.jpg

Jeff ordered the Shawarma Chicken and Lamb Platter - Served with side of hummus, Tabouleh and a Tangierine Couscous salad with fresh Morrocan bread.

Epcot-TangerineCafeJeffslunch.jpg

That's a lot of food for a counter service restaurant!!! And it wasn't just the usual burger or sandwich, that's what we enjoyed about it.

I got the Mediterranean Wraps - served with Tangierine Couscous salad and lentil salad made with chicken. This reminded me of a gyro, only better!

Epcot-TangerineCafeKaraslunch.jpg

For dessert we both had baklava, which was really good! And I've not a big baklava fan ordinarily.

Epcot-WSTangerineCafedessert.jpg

I love the location of this little counter service place. Plenty of seating inside or out, but still cozy and quaint (as opposed to a place like Cosmic Rays).

If we would have paid out of pocket:

Jeff's Schawarma platter w/ chicken & lamb $13.95
My Mediterranean wrap $9.95
2 soft drinks @ $2 ea = $4
2 baklava @ $2.50 ea = $5
Total $32.90

My review:

Food - A, especially when you consider that we didn't just get burgers and fries....
Service - n/a
Value - B- - $33 is pretty steep for lunch for two. But if we were paying we would usually not order desserts so it would only be about $28 that way. So even though we weren't getting burgers, we also weren't only paying for burgers!
Atmosphere - A - for counter service it beats most others around WDW.

Overall - A-

Don't be expecting deli sandwiches or burgers, but also don't be afraid to try Tangierine Cafe! It's not crazy weird food or anything, they have chicken or lamb or a combination, and the sides are hummus and lentil salad - which is a wonderful light refreshing chilled "bean" salad! No french fries here, that's for sure!!!!

Up next, Backlot Express and Cantina de San Angel - plus.... a few snacks around the world!!!!

Have to subscribe to keep following along to the reviews of a fellow Jacksonville-ian?... Jacksonville-ite?... someone else from Jacksonville. There. :)

The negative reviews of CDF have me worried - DW and I are (were?) looking forward to our first time at CDF in December, but now I'm wondering if we should just skip a TS that day and double it up for another signature meal... then go to Bistro de Paris for our anniversary next year. (Since our favorite French place in Jacksonville closed shop - Crush Bistro. :sad2: :guilty: :sad1: )

Question: What all is on the warp as far as toppings go? The pic looks good and DW is dying to eat at the TC next month - I am not very adventurous and might opt for fish n' chips instead, but the photo makes the Med. wrap look tasty...

Golf4food - love that by the way, my husband would agree! :thumbsup2
In fact, that's where he is right now! Gorgeous day today!

I was so disappointed by CDF that I don't think I would even give it another chance. It was not as good as a Ruth's Chris or Morton's, and I actually find those to be hit or miss depending on the city. I was expecting a lot more, I guess.

Now we've never been to Bistro, so don't know if that is worth a signature experience or not? :confused3

We're new to Jax, and live in Orange Park, waaaaaaay out away from anything..... so it takes us 1/2 hour just to get to Blanding or Wells Rd. I haven't been able to check out the dining options in Jax yet, although we did eat at a seafood restaurant at The Landing. Don't know the name though....

Thank you for reading!!!

I was so disappointed by CDF that I don't think I would even give it another chance. It was not as good as a Ruth's Chris or Morton's, and I actually find those to be hit or miss depending on the city. I was expecting a lot more, I guess.

Awww - c'mon Kara. Doesn't EVERY place deserve a second chance?

We love Raglan Road! Your review has me counting the days, I can't wait to gorge myself on "It's not bleedin' chowder"!!!!:dance3: :goodvibes

No pictures this time, but there'll be more down the road....

On Friday, we were at Hollywood Studios and after walking into the ABC Commissary, Jeff didn't like anything offered. So we headed over to the Backlot Express, where he wasn't real thrilled either, but I put my foot down cause I did NOT want to hush puppy it all the way back.

It's quite obvious that we are spoiled by the World Showcase, but here we were at a burger joint.

Nothing exciting here at all.

Jeff ordered the Double Cheeseburger - Served with French fries, and I got the Grilled Turkey & Cheese - Made with arugula and red peppers served with French fries. His was your basic burger, but mine was actually pretty tasty. And we had some nasty cheesecake for dessert. I'm a cheesecake lover and only took one bite. Yuck!

Out of pocket this would have been:

Cheeseburger 7.99
Turkey sandwich 7.99
Drinks 2 @ 2.29 ea = 4.58
Dessert 2 @ 3.59 = 7.18
Total 27.74

I could have eaten at Subway for half this price, and gotten better food. I've just gotten used to trying different things at Disney and this was so blase that I couldn't get excited.

My reviews:

Food - B-
Service - n/a
Atmosphere - A- - actually the seating areas were nice, resembling the backlot of a studio - lots of memorabilia on the walls, etc.
Value - B- - again, this is Disney, so of course it's not gonna compare to Subway or Burger King.

Overall - B

On Saturday, we spent the morning in MK, but knew we'd head over to Epcot for lunch. And we hit our old standby, Cantina de San Angel.

Love the portions, and this is good ole Americanized Mexican food.

I always get the Wet Burrito - Soft Flour tortillas filled with beef, black refried beans, lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream and Adobo sauce. Oh so filling!!! Lots of food, and hot and tasty.

Jeff always gets the Plato Combinacion - Chicken taco, Beef burrito and a Quesadilla served with Black refried beans and Mexican salsa. Both are favorites of ours.

And of course churros for dessert!!! And the best thing about churros is that you can carry them with you as you stroll along the WS!

Not disappointed again, we just love this CS spot - also, you can eat outside right on the WS lagoon.

If we had paid out of pocket:

Wet Burrito 7.99
Plato Comb 8.99
2 drinks at 2.29 ea - 4.58
2 churros at 2.50 ea - 5.00

Total 26.56

My review:

Food - B+ - I've eaten here several times and NEVER been disappointed.
Atmosphere - A - how can you NOT enjoy sitting out by the lagoon and watching the birds flit around the short?
Value - B+ - again, by Disney standards. But I never leave here hungry, and it's tasty to boot!

Overall - B++ - don't expect what you get at San Angel Inn, but also, don't expect TAco Bell. It's somewhere in between, I guess! We all have little family owned Mexican restaurants around town, and this is what it tastes like to me!

Up next...... snacking around WDW!!!! With pics!!!!

Kara - I stumbled upon that grilled turkey sandwich at Backlot and enjoyed it as well!:thumbsup2

OK, a couple of snackiepoos!

First up, a little "snack" with a kick! ;)

Gran Marnier Slushie and Grey Goose Citron Slushie.....

Mine (gran marnier) tasted just like an orange creamsicle!!! I didn't expect it to taste so creamy! I've had the Grey Goose before and it's very refreshing!

Epcot-slushies.jpg

Finally, after reading the DIS for so long, we tried the school bread! O-M-G!!! To die for!!!! Seriously!

Epcot-WSSchoolBread2.jpg

Epcot-WSSchoolBread3.jpg

Believe it or not, it was very "light" even with all the wonderful cream filling! Jeff was busy on the phone with work, so while we were supposed to be sharing this, I easily ate 3/4 of it!!! Loved it!

And of course, the Dole Whip float!

MK-DoleWhip.jpg

Again, this was a first for us! We wanted to try all those "must dos" that I had read about.

Speaking of must do's, I should have taken a pic of our first trip to Club Cool and Jeff's first taste of the Beverly, which of course I told him was just "raved about" on the DIS. Heh heh heh!!!

That about does it for all our good eats this trip, but Ally are heading down this weekend just to AK for the day, so I'll snap some pics of whatever strikes our fancy while we're there!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter