Anniversary (FREE) Dining around the World!

karajeboo

DISmom by land and by sea!
DH and I just took a quick 3 night trip to Disney a couple of weeks ago to celebrate our 11th anniversary - yea for us!!!

We've been to Disney many times before and each time we try to eat at different restaurants...... and this time was no different.

I'm going to focus on photos and reviews and try to keep it from getting too wordy. After all, I was PLENTY wordy in my TR!!! (see link in siggie!)

For our dinners we chose Raglan Road - DTD, Chefs de France - Epcot, France, and Tutto Italia - Epcot, Italy.

For lunch we chose Tangierine Cafe - Epcot, Morocco, Cantina de San Angel - Epcot, Mexico, and Backlot Express - Hollywood Studios.

Dinners first....

DH was so NOT looking foward to Raglan Road - "It's Irish food! What do the Irish know about good food?"

So as we headed over on our first night we were pleasantly surprised by the warmth and comfort of Raglan Road as we entered.

DTD-RaglandRoad-1.jpg

Main Dining Room...

DTD-RaglanRoadinterior-1.jpg

Our little comfy corner....

DTD-RaglanRoadJeffordering-2.jpg

Right near the service bar.... which helped! ;)

DTD-RaglanRoadbar.jpg

Speaking of bars, how about a nice beer flight to begin the vacay?

DTD-RaglanRoad-Karasbeerflight.jpg

DTD-RaglanRoad-Jeffsbeerflight-1.jpg

DTD-RaglanRoad-KaraandJeffbeerfl-1.jpg

The bread served was delish! Served with a sweet malt dipping sauce...

DTD-RaglanRoadbreak.jpg

There were soooo many offerings for dinner. Way more than either of us anticipated! I was torn between the Shepherd's Pie, Salmon, or Fish n Chips. I always go with the server's recommendation, and our server Pedro recommended either the Shepherd's Pie or Fish n Chips, so I opted for the latter.

Yes, it's "just" fish n chips, but it was VERY good!

DTD-RaglanRoadfishnchips.jpg

I talked DH into the It Ain't Bleedin Chowder, because of the reviews I had seen on the DIS and it was INCREDIBLE!!!! 2 DIE 4!!!

DTD-RaglanRoad-ItAintBleedinChow-1.jpg

The sauce was soooooo creamy and yummy! I'm not a huge shellfish fan, so I knew I couldn't order it, but I was able to take plenty of bites of this and got lots of fish and sauce and I would so order it myself if I went back!!!

For dessert we both chose the two items that Pedro recommended, and were not disappointed.

DH got the Sticky Toffee Pudding.

DTD-RaglanRoadstickytoffeepuddin-1.jpg

Now this was very good, HOWEVER, once I tried MY dessert, Ger's Bread and Butter Pudding, there was NO going back to the Sticky Toffee PUdding.

DTD-RaglanRoadGersbreadandbutterpud.jpg

Heaven on a plate!!! The two little pitchers held a butterscotch sauce in one, and a white sweet cream sauce in the other. The allowed me to choose how much sauce I wanted to add. So I only added a little bit of the butterscotch, but a TON of the creamy sauce! 2 DIE 4!!!!

All in all, this was an excellent meal!!! DH is so funny whenever we use the DDP - he wants to get the most bang for his buck so he always opts for the higher end dishes!!! This time however, we both agreed to just order what looked good.

If we had paid out of pocket, I think this bill would have looked like this:

Fish and Chips $17.95
It Ain't Bleedin Chowder $23.95
Sticky Toffee Pudding $7.99
Ger's Bread and Butter Pudding $7.99
Beer Flights (not sure but I'm thinking $11.99 each?) $23.98
Total before tip - $81.86
20% tip rounded up $17.00
TOTAL BILL $98.86

My rating scale:

Food: A-

Service: A - Pedro was very attentive (which was nice cause he sure was purty!). He told us that desserts would take a while longer because there was only one gal handmaking each dessert, and Free Dining was surely causing a lot more people to eat dessert!

Atmosphere: B - only because this was Disney World and it wasn't real "Disneyfied" but still very comfortable and fun!

Value: B - it's hard to justify some of the restaurant prices in Disney, but this was definitely satisfying and tasty.

Overall: B+

Not our typical "night out on the town" but very good indeed!!!! We walked out of RR full, and very happy with our choices. We're already talking about when we might eat there again, and we still have a couple of places in WDW left to try!!!!

Up next, Chefs de France.....

I am excited we have some of the same restaurant choices!! We aren't going till Dec. so this will get me excited for my trip!!!!

Great review already!!:cool1: http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/cool1.gif

Great start!! Cant wait to hear more!

Thanks for sharing your pics!

Thanks for sharing! Love the pix!

Great start!

Great review so far, looking forward to the rest.

popcorn:: Great start!!!

I'm signing on......popcorn::

Count me in!:thumbsup2

Thanx y'all! I aim to please!!! :thumbsup2

I'll try to post more tomorrow!!! Thank you for reading!!!!

So as I sit here eating my homemade Payday bar, by mixing up some peanuts and candy corn (I swear! You need to try this!!!), I'm obviously thinking about food, so why not get back to my Dining Reviews!!!

Next up is Chefs de France. I've heard really great things about this restaurant but we were VERY disappointed in just about everything here. Whenever I've walked past, I've always thought it looked like a nice, fine dining establishment. Honestly? It didn't live up to my local Applebee's or Chili's, or any other fern and rail you could name. Fern and rail is what my DH calls any generic table service restaurant cause they used to all have big ferns hanging and brass rails all over. So Chilis, TGIFridays, Applebees, you name it....

Epcot-WSLeChefsdeFrance.jpg

We were seated in the atrium area and the first thing I noticed was how close the tables were to each other. I could literally smell the woman's dessert off my left elbow, and it was quite uncomfortable.

And there was nothing inside that made me want to take any photos. White tablecloths and dark brown wood. That's it. Very plain. If they were going for the "less is more" theme, it failed IMHO.

Speaking of plain, this was the bread that was brought out. I didn't take a picture of that either because it was quite embarassing. It was a basket with 2 very hard dinner rolls. And two pats of very hard butter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't France known for it's bakeries? Shouldn't the bread have been something more than two rock hard rolls? And what is up with the pats of butter? I would have expected a little crock of whipped butter....

Now the service up to this point was nearly non-existent. We probably sat for 10 minutes or so before our server Claudia ever appeared. She did get our drinks - a glass of Merlot for me and a Kronenberg beer for Jeff. But it was another 10 minutes or so before the bread boulders came out.

We skipped an appetizer and ordered our entrees, but we were boring and both ordered the same thing - sorry!

We ordered Filet de boeuf grille, sauce au poivre noir Gratin Dauphinois et haricots verts - Grilled tenderloin of beef with a black pepper sauce original potato gratin of Savoy and green beans.

Epcot-Lechefsdinner2.jpg

It was a steak. With potatoes and green beens. Nothing more. NOthing less. It was cooked properly for both of us, and the sauce was really good. But it was a steak! That's it! Maybe that was our fault for not ordering something more "french" but after the bread issues I was having.... :confused3

For dessert, I got the Creme Brulee - Vanilla Creme Brulee served with a Madeleine. Honestly the WORST creme brulee I've ever had. It tasted like it had been sitting in a cooler for quite a while and brought out right before serving and hit with a blow torch. The topping was not even crispy, more like the skin you get on pudding if you don't cover it up. And it was ice cold.

Epcot-LechefsKarasdessert.jpg

Jeff ordered the Crepe a la pomme et cannelle, glace vanille, caramel jus de pommes - crepes filled with cinnomon apple, vanilla ice cream and apple caramel sauce, or as he described it "cinnamon applesauce."

Epcot-LechefsJeffsdessert.jpg

And did you see the teeny tiny little scoop of ice cream? Just like the bread, shouldn't a french restaurant have some killer desserts???? If they did, we certainly didn't find them.

All in all we were very disappointed and have moved Chefs de France waaaaaay down on our Disney dining list. We would not return.

If we had paid out of pocket..... (I have to guess on the drinks....)

Wine $10.00
Beer $7.00
2 Tenderloins @ 34.95 ea = 69.90
Creme Brulee 8.00
"Apple Sauce" crepe 8.00
Total before tip 102.90
20% tip rounded up 21.00
TOTAL $123.90

I could have had a better meal at any fern and rail for around 1/2 that price.

My review:

Food - C - entree was tasty and cooked to order, but nothing extraordinary and desserts and bread selection were severely lacking.

Service - B - Claudia was very personable, if a little slow. We may have caught her at a bad time during her shift, but she made up for it as our dinner went on.

Atmosphere - C- - Blah.

Value - C - I felt like I got so much more at Raglan Road, and I enjoyed ever bit of that meal compared to this.

Overall - C+

I don't think I'm that hard to please. I can be happy at a Ruth's Chris (although I find them to be a bit overrated), Morton's, Applebees, the local tavern, or the little hole in the wall corner Italian restaurant. But we have been fortunate enough to have dined in a wide variety of restaurants across the country, and I just don't feel that Chefs de France lived up to any of those that I consider "fine" dining.

Up next.... Tutto Italia!

This is the second review about the poor service received from a server named "Claudia" at CDF! Check this out... http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1960970&page=3

We have ADRs there in a few months and if I see this girl come anywhere near our table (which sounds like it rarely happens anyway ;) ) I'm calling the manager over ASAP!

Can I ask what time of the day and what day of the week you ate at CDF? It shouldn't have had any effect on your dining experience, and there's no excuse for receiving unimpressive French food, but of course that's not how the World works.

This is the second review about the poor service received from a server named "Claudia" at CDF! Check this out... http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1960970&page=3

We have ADRs there in a few months and if I see this girl come anywhere near our table (which sounds like it rarely happens anyway ;) ) I'm calling the manager over ASAP!

Can I ask what time of the day and what day of the week you ate at CDF? It shouldn't have had any effect on your dining experience, and there's no excuse for receiving unimpressive French food, but of course that's not how the World works.

I thought that name sounded familiar...:rotfl2:

We ate here on a Thursday night at 6pm. Honestly, the service wasn't great, but she was actually a sweet girl. I think she had a bit of a language barrier (my husband thought she was adorable!) so it was harder for her to communicate with the guests. And she did try to be friendly and I think she got held up too long at tables trying to make conversation.

Seriously, am I being too hard on this place? I mean, shouldn't french food be, well, pretty terrific? I just didn't expect average entrees and horrible desserts, and bread that would make good ammo!

You're scaring me! I finally convinced DH to try CDF and I keep reading terrible reviews. At this point, I'm wondering if I should cancel CDF and book Raglan since they seem to be getting consistently wonderful reviews.

Hmmm. popcorn::

Now the service up to this point was nearly non-existent. We probably sat for 10 minutes or so before our server Claudia ever appeared. She did get our drinks - a glass of Merlot for me and a Kronenberg beer for Jeff. But it was another 10 minutes or so before the bread boulders came out.

Service - B - Claudia was very personable, if a little slow. We may have caught her at a bad time during her shift, but she made up for it as our dinner went on.

Kara, You didn't catch Claudia on a bad time. We had her 2 Saturdays ago. Atrocious is a compliment to the level of service we recieved! Check our our experience here...if you dare!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1960970&page=3

I felt the same way as you. Definitely not worth the cost.

Karen

Kara - I didn't like my dinner at CDF but my DH and I loved the French Onion Soup and my Creme Brulee was warm and yummy. I would like to try lunch there sometime. Or just go for the soup and dessert. Really, we paid way to much money for a not so good meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter