Amazon Echo, Dot, Tap, etc...I need help

kalliyan1

DIS Veteran
What is the difference between them. Do I need the Echo in order for the dot and/or tap to work? Do they all do the same thing?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

What is the difference between them. Do I need the Echo in order for the dot and/or tap to work? Do they all do the same thing?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

They all do the same thing generally. The Echo has a large speaker, so you can use it to play music in a room. The Dot is the same deal, just without the large speaker. We have a dot and use a bluetooth speaker to play music through it. The Tap is like the Echo, with a large speaker, except it is meant to be portable.

They all do the same thing generally. The Echo has a large speaker, so you can use it to play music in a room. The Dot is the same deal, just without the large speaker. We have a dot and use a bluetooth speaker to play music through it. The Tap is like the Echo, with a large speaker, except it is meant to be portable.
Do you think one is better than the other or is it personal preference?

I believe the Tap needs to be 'tapped' or touched to activate, while the Echo and the Dot are voice activated. I'm constantly telling ours to do this or do that, so I really wouldn't like having to touch it to turn on. Personal preference :)

i have 2 Echo Dots and a Google home. Echo = Echo Dot + a nice speaker. Echo Dot is great if you add a speaker to it...

One echo and two dots. We don't end up using the big speaker (the echo) much for music, so we probably could have gotten by with just dots--but we got the cheaper early adopter price on the echo, and the dots didn't exist at that point.

Any of them function on their own.

I only recently added the dots because we have more "smart" home elements now. Philips Hue lights, power switches (e.g, I can turn the Christmas tree lights off from bed), television remotes, and I'm hoping Santa brings me a smart thermostat. It turns into an energy saver because I'm more likely to turn lights off in a room since I can turn them all off at once by voice.

(Or I tell Alexa to start up the television while I search for the remote.)

Naturally they are VERY good at helping you shop from Amazon. If I say "Alexa buy cat food" she'll check my order history and offer to re-order recent cat food items. And this year they have run several deals that you can only get through Alexa, such as a television last week that was insanely cheap, like $120 for a 32".

I believe the dots can read back audiobooks to you, too.

We have 3 dots in different places in our house. We started out with one in the bedroom because I wanted to make the lights turn on and off by voice. There is no wall light switch for our lamps and the lamps were starting to die because we used the switches on the lamps so many times. I got the TP-Link wifi plug and it works perfect with the Dot. I also use it to set my alarm each morning. I get a "news flash" when I wake up, which I personalized to include NPR headlines and the weather. At bedtime, my husband always asks Alexa to tell him a joke. She has some really cheesy ones. I often work from home, so I love to us my bluetooth speaker to play classical music while I am working. I just say, "Alexa, play classical" and its perfect.

We have started installing more TP-Link wifi plugs and wall switches throughout our house when we find them at a good price. It is amazingly nice to be able to control everything via voice or from our cellphones. I also have a wifi thermostat which works with Alexa, though I don't use that as often because we have it set for a wide range and just leave it. But there are tons of other cool devices that work with Alexa or skills that you can download to teach Alexa new things.

We ordered 6 for the house for Christmas. We'll use that many--it's a big house, and the kids will each have one in their bedrooms, plus maybe the living room (stereo with nice speakers) and the kitchen. It's a toss-up if the last one will go in the master BR or the dance room. We'll likely add more smart features throughout our home over time--I would love the smart thermostat, and a few rooms could use smart lights.

I ordered my husband the Dot/ Philips HUE package from amazon for $100.

It looks like something he'll love. If we want more than one Dot, we can add on after Christmas.

We bought the Echo when it first came out and use it daily. It is in the kitchen. Main uses for us are: to listen to the radio every morning, play music and as an electronic grocery list. Certainly don't need it but it has turned out to be a handy gadget!

We bought the Echo when it first came out and use it daily. It is in the kitchen. Main uses for us are: to listen to the radio every morning, play music and as an electronic grocery list. Certainly don't need it but it has turned out to be a handy gadget!

I could write this exact post. I don't use the echo as much as I could (all the smart home features) but I use it the same way! I love my echo. Alexa is a family member atthis point:rotfl2:

I am intrigued, this sounds like something I may like for myself. Does the Dot just connect to your Amazon acct? I use a bluetooth speaker but I have to turn on my tablet, bring up the Amazon music app, and its such a pain LOL.
If I get the Dot, I can just tell it to put on my music?

I am intrigued, this sounds like something I may like for myself. Does the Dot just connect to your Amazon acct? I use a bluetooth speaker but I have to turn on my tablet, bring up the Amazon music app, and its such a pain LOL.
If I get the Dot, I can just tell it to put on my music?

If you want to play music, you should get the echo. I use it for music daily. It has great quality. And yes, it will connect directly to your amazon account, as well as pandora, spotify, i heart radio, etc.

If you want to play music, you should get the echo. I use it for music daily. It has great quality. And yes, it will connect directly to your amazon account, as well as pandora, spotify, i heart radio, etc.

We already have a couple BT speakers so I thought just getting the dot would be better

Well, I have had the Amazon Echo since it was released on 11/6/14. What a terrific device. I recently bought the Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation) for a gal friend and one for my adult Son. BOTH totally enjoy the Echo Dot and both play music regularly with the Echo Dot and they do not have a bluetooth speaker linked to their Dot's. I have heard the music coming from the Dot's and the output quality is very good. So good, that I myself, if I had to buy again for myself would go with the Echo Dot versus the Amazon Echo. BIG price difference between the Amazon Echo and the Amazon Echo Dot. IF a Dot owner thought the sound quality was something they wanted to improve they can easily link an inexpensive blue tooth speaker to it. In closing, the Amazon Echo Dot is a terrific device and it should be considered as an Xmas gift to others. Those "others" will love the gift and remember it always..

Ok.. I think I am getting my mom a dot, a hub, and a thing to open/close her garage door. (She has asked for a dot, and for a way to see if her garage door is open when she isn't home.) If I also get a hub I believe I can integrate all of this. Anyone have a similar set up?

I'd also love to figure out a way to have our samsung smart tv work by talking to Alexa, as I can never figure out the 3 remotes we have. Is this possible?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter