Amazon Echo, Dot, Tap, etc...I need help

We've had the dot (I think it's the dot) since Thanksgiving. I still haven't figured out what the point of it is. Yes, it can add things to my shopping list, adjust my thermostat, and play music (though not throughout the house- just from itself) but I could control all of that from my phone already.

I suspect we will eventually put it into the nursery and use it as a speaker for baby music.

Looking for advice from Echo experts. DS bought an echo dot for himself and I want to get him something that goes with it to turn his lights on and off for his birthday next month. He only has a table lamp and a floor lamp with three bulbs. Is a light kit the best option (and add on two light bulbs)?

I recommend the Belkin WEMO switch. Buy one for each lamp. I prefer the Wemo over the TP Link offering.

FWIW, my son got an Echo Dot from my parent for Christmas. Its loud enough to fill the entire room. I can actually hear it "talking" from the other end of the house with the interior doors open.

I just bought the new Kindle that has Alexa on it, if I buy the Dot will the two pair and is there any benefit to them both?

I just bought the new Kindle that has Alexa on it, if I buy the Dot will the two pair and is there any benefit to them both?

Without going into a lengthy explanation, YES, you can have both a Kindle with Alexa and a Dot with Alexa. You can also have an Amazon Fire Stick or Fire Box with Alexa, an Amazon Echo as well as other offerings currently available. All these devices can be active concurrently on the Amazon Alexa system.

IF you find that you enjoy working with Alexa on your new Kindle, I can assure you, that you will enjoy even more having an Amazon Dot in the house. The Dot actively listens for the activation word, and responds to you accordingly when awakened. Read Amazon sales information and compare to the sales information for the Kindle. While both devices have Alexa, you will incorporate each device in different ways into your activities.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter