Amazon Echo, Dot, Tap, etc...I need help

If you want to play music, you should get the echo. I use it for music daily. It has great quality. And yes, it will connect directly to your amazon account, as well as pandora, spotify, i heart radio, etc.
On the Amazon "compare devices" list, it says that the Echo is mono and the dot is stereo....Is that true? Why wouldn't the Echo be in stereo? So just so I'm clear, they both (echo & dot) do the same things and the basic difference is the echo is bigger?

Another question, with the alarm feature, how does it wake you up, buzzer, music, etc? Also, can you set weekday only alarms?

Can you use the color bulbs with the dot? If so, can I just buy the hue starter kit that comes with 3 white bulbs and then for additional bulbs I buy, can I add one of the color bulbs and it will work?

Last edited:
On the Amazon "compare devices" list, it says that the Echo is mono and the dot is stereo....Is that true? Why wouldn't the Echo be in stereo? So just so I'm clear, they both (echo & dot) do the same things and the basic difference is the echo is bigger?

Another question, with the alarm feature, how does it wake you up, buzzer, music, etc? Also, can you set weekday only alarms?

Can you use the color bulbs with the dot? If so, can I just buy the hue starter kit that comes with 3 white bulbs and then for additional bulbs I buy, can I add one of the color bulbs and it will work?

Ok, first off, YES, Echo and Echo Dot do the same things. The Echo is taller as it has a tall cylindrical speaker which the Dot does not have. They both sound pretty much the same... With the Dot you can pair a Bluetooth speaker which is where the stereo you mention comes from. Again, I have heard both (Dot without Bluetooth pairing) first hand and they sound very similar. As for the timer and alarm sounds, it is not a buzzer but rather a pretty pleasant alternating tone sound. You can even set things up so you get both a tone and your Phillips Hue light(s) flash. Using a "skill" you can also incorporate your smart phone and the Echo will trigger it to play wake up music like a clock radio would. You can set alarm or timer (more then one of each) for anytime in the upcoming 24 hrs.. In regard to the Phillips Hue White Starter Kit.... it comes with 2 bulbs. Retails for about $69.00. Additional white bulbs cost about $14.00 each. IF you buy the white bulb starter kit it can only be used with White bulbs. You cannot use color bulbs. IF you want the ability to use white or color you need to buy the $199 Hue Starter kit that allows both white and color. Either Phillps Hue kit is easy to install and they work well with the Amazon Echo or Dot.

Ok.. I think I am getting my mom a dot, a hub, and a thing to open/close her garage door. (She has asked for a dot, and for a way to see if her garage door is open when she isn't home.) If I also get a hub I believe I can integrate all of this. Anyone have a similar set up?

I'd also love to figure out a way to have our samsung smart tv work by talking to Alexa, as I can never figure out the 3 remotes we have. Is this possible?

Unless you Mom has a very new garage door opener that will respond to a smart phone then no, The Echo or Dot would be a no go. As for your TV, yes you can say use a Wemo Switch to turn the TV off with the Echo or Dot but no, the TV can not be turned on with the same Wemo. Only off.

Alexa has limited integration with Logitech's Harmony entertainment remote controls. I have the Harmony Smart Hub, and Alexa can turn the television on and off, but that's about it for now.

Ok, first off, YES, Echo and Echo Dot do the same things. The Echo is taller as it has a tall cylindrical speaker which the Dot does not have. They both sound pretty much the same... With the Dot you can pair a Bluetooth speaker which is where the stereo you mention comes from. Again, I have heard both (Dot without Bluetooth pairing) first hand and they sound very similar. As for the timer and alarm sounds, it is not a buzzer but rather a pretty pleasant alternating tone sound. You can even set things up so you get both a tone and your Phillips Hue light(s) flash. Using a "skill" you can also incorporate your smart phone and the Echo will trigger it to play wake up music like a clock radio would. You can set alarm or timer (more then one of each) for anytime in the upcoming 24 hrs.. In regard to the Phillips Hue White Starter Kit.... it comes with 2 bulbs. Retails for about $69.00. Additional white bulbs cost about $14.00 each. IF you buy the white bulb starter kit it can only be used with White bulbs. You cannot use color bulbs. IF you want the ability to use white or color you need to buy the $199 Hue Starter kit that allows both white and color. Either Phillps Hue kit is easy to install and they work well with the Amazon Echo or Dot.
Thanks so much for this information! Did you find it difficult to figure out, the skills, etc., or is it pretty easy

Thanks so much for this information! Did you find it difficult to figure out, the skills, etc., or is it pretty easy

Very easy for most anyone. Really quite simple. WARNING.... IF you want an Echo or Echo Dot, Hues kits, Wemos, etc, do order right away as before Xmas availability is going to be a real issue. For example, the Wemo Switch is not avail on Amazon as it is sold out. Good possibility that if you do not order the Dot now, you may not get one by Xmas.

For set-up issues, etc..
Amazon Echo Tech Support 1-877-375-9365 (3am to 10pm PST, 7 days)

Very easy for most anyone. Really quite simple. WARNING.... IF you want an Echo or Echo Dot, Hues kits, Wemos, etc, do order right away as before Xmas availability is going to be a real issue. For example, the Wemo Switch is not avail on Amazon as it is sold out. Good possibility that if you do not order the Dot now, you may not get one by Xmas.

For set-up issues, etc..
Amazon Echo Tech Support 1-877-375-9365 (3am to 10pm PST, 7 days)
GREAT!!! Thanks again for everything and all the information :)

Unless you Mom has a very new garage door opener that will respond to a smart phone then no, The Echo or Dot would be a no go. As for your TV, yes you can say use a Wemo Switch to turn the TV off with the Echo or Dot but no, the TV can not be turned on with the same Wemo. Only off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M75TEIU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I was looking at this. It says "compatible with virtually any garage door opener". Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M75TEIU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I was looking at this. It says "compatible with virtually any garage door opener". Any thoughts?

Well, the Amazon reviews are decent. It ships from and sold by amazon so if you can't get it to work for you, you can easily return to amazon for a refund if you do it within the required time frame.

I encourage you to read ALL the amazon reviews and "answers" for that device. You will get a good idea if it may or may not work the way you desire. Again, worth a try...

Also, though not directly, you can pair this to a hub (SmartThings) and then Alexa can control it via your hub. I read this in answers so cannot tell you in fact this is true.

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread I'm pretty sure dh is getting me a Dot for Christmas, and maybe the Bose speakers that are bundled with it. Not sure where he got that idea :rolleyes1

I'm thinking that for his birthday a few months after Christmas I'll get him one, and the switches and maybe the lightbulbs.

Well, the Amazon reviews are decent. It ships from and sold by amazon so if you can't get it to work for you, you can easily return to amazon for a refund if you do it within the required time frame.

I encourage you to read ALL the amazon reviews and "answers" for that device. You will get a good idea if it may or may not work the way you desire. Again, worth a try...

Also, though not directly, you can pair this to a hub (SmartThings) and then Alexa can control it via your hub. I read this in answers so cannot tell you in fact this is true.

Thank you. As I said in my first post I was planning to get the hub as well. I'll let you know how she makes out. She's very tech savvy so if it can work she'll figure it out.

Does anyone have an opinion on Google Home? Does anyone know if you can add a calendar event to either Alexa/Dot or Google Home just by speaking or do you have to manually add it?

Does anyone have an opinion on Google Home? Does anyone know if you can add a calendar event to either Alexa/Dot or Google Home just by speaking or do you have to manually add it?

Amazon Echo and Dot both can add an event to your Google Calendar. Both can also tell you events listed by day on your Google Calendar.

My opinion of Google Home.... well, I have no experience with the device. I would find it hard to believe it presently is equal to the Amazon offerings. The Amazon offering has been out 2 years and Google Home just released. What I do know is, Google Home uses Google Search where the Amazon devices do not. Google Search is superior to the search engine that the Echo and Dot use. In closing, I believe at this date in time, the Amazon devices are more desired.... are superior, especially if you have an Amazon Prime Account.

FYI.... for those interested in getting the dot, QVC has it on now as TSV. You can get 1 for $44.96 or a 2 pk for $85.96 PLUS you get 3 months of Amazon unlimited music and 2 free audio books for free. You can also do easy pay of 5 payments!

Looking for advice from Echo experts. DS bought an echo dot for himself and I want to get him something that goes with it to turn his lights on and off for his birthday next month. He only has a table lamp and a floor lamp with three bulbs. Is a light kit the best option (and add on two light bulbs)?

I have the new "GoHubby". I just say "gohubby and turn the TV on, go hubby please and turn the radio on, etc" Works really well when not too tired, so don't use it too much. You only have to sign a lifetime agreement to keep him.
Sorry, I just had to do that...................:rolleyes1

Looking for advice from Echo experts. DS bought an echo dot for himself and I want to get him something that goes with it to turn his lights on and off for his birthday next month. He only has a table lamp and a floor lamp with three bulbs. Is a light kit the best option (and add on two light bulbs)?

DH and I use the TP-Link Smart Plug for our table lamps. Very easy to set up and works great with the Echo.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Control-Devices-Anywhere-HS100/dp/B0178IC734

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter