Am I the only one who doesn't get the "Occupy Wallstreet" movements

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people weren't so complacent then voting would at least help. If people even bother to vote they often just pull the lever because they've always voted for a particular party or they like the guy's looks or whatever. In our area, we're lucky if we get a 20% turnout and that is for laws that actually interest people. It's a shame.

Have people in general just given up? I've often believed that we need more political parties with power but how? I don't like violent upheavals but unfortunately it seems to be the only way in other nations. I wonder if there isn't some way it can be done differently.

If people weren't so complacent then voting would at least help. If people even bother to vote they often just pull the lever because they've always voted for a particular party or they like the guy's looks or whatever. In our area, we're lucky if we get a 20% turnout and that is for laws that actually interest people. It's a shame.

Have people in general just given up? I've often believed that we need more political parties with power but how? I don't like violent upheavals but unfortunately it seems to be the only way in other nations. I wonder if there isn't some way it can be done differently.

DING, DING, DING. You know my mantra Plano, we (as citizens) have to face the man in the mirror.

One of the reasons I think people take to the streets is that they feel very much powerless and that is a very dangerous sentiment. We've got an entire generation who feel that no matter what they do they will be screwed.
That's not good for the country.
To top it off we've got a national attitude of "myway or the High way". We talk about getting our debt under control but no on wants to compromise.
No one wants cuts in medicaid/social security
No one wants cuts in military
No one wants taxes increases
No one wants cuts in social programs.
Yet everyone wants the deficiet reduced. Talk about believing in fairy tales?

DING, DING, DING. You know my mantra Plano, we (as citizens) have to face the man in the mirror.

One of the reasons I think people take to the streets is that they feel very much powerless and that is a very dangerous sentiment. We've got an entire generation who feel that no matter what they do they will be screwed.
That's not good for the country.
To top it off we've got a national attitude of "myway or the High way". We talk about getting our debt under control but no on wants to compromise.
No one wants cuts in medicaid/social security
No one wants cuts in military
No one wants taxes increases
No one wants cuts in social programs.
Yet everyone wants the deficiet reduced. Talk about believing in fairy tales?

Yes, a country with hundreds of thousands of citizens who feel they have nothing to lose is a very dangerous situation. And yet, here we are. Not only do those in power refuse to compromise, or work towards solutions, they would prefer to dig in and taunt those who are angry.
If the citizens feel there is no hope, what's to stop them from tearing down the system??? And I wouldn't blame them.

Don't know if you watch CBS guys but on 60 mins this week was a eye opening interview with disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

He talks for 20 minutes about how he routinely brought and paid politicians to vote for what his employer wanted them to vote for.

The man literally routinely brought Senators and congressmen with hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts, donations, jobs etc. the man wants to write a book called "the idiots guide to buying a Congressman".

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml

This is one reason why people are taking to the streets.

Yes, a country with hundreds of thousands of citizens who feel they have nothing to lose is a very dangerous situation. And yet, here we are. Not only do those in power refuse to compromise, or work towards solutions, they would prefer to dig in and taunt those who are angry.
If the citizens feel there is no hope, what's to stop them from tearing down the system??? And I wouldn't blame them.

Yes, a country with hundreds of thousands of citizens who feel they have nothing to lose is a very dangerous situation.

Same reason why people who don't pay income taxes want them to go up. Nothing to lose.

I believe that your sentiment is shared by many of the OWS. I pray that it doesn't happen.

But I believe that is the plan.

Same reason why people who don't pay income taxes want them to go up. Nothing to lose.

I believe that your sentiment is shared by many of the OWS. I pray that it doesn't happen.

I don't know Muush, I think we have to define what we mean by "the system".

I think every one here can definitely agree that the current tax system, political system and lobbyist system needs to be destroyed. but that's not the same as destroying the country. Once again remember not 50 years ago Jim Crow was the universal "system" through out the south. That system needed to be destroyed totally. It was inherently evil and detrimental to our nation. Should we have kept that "system" simply because we were scared of supposedly "destroying" some things. So what we need to know is what is at the core of these movements. Is it to bring down a capitalistic system. I don't think so. Do we need to get rid of the system where money buys political influence? maybe so? Do we need to get rid of a system where many to not pay taxes? Yes. Do we also need to get rid of a tax system the consistently and lopsidely benefits a ridiculously tiny portion of the population? That's also a big Yep.

I don't know Muush, I think we have to define what we mean by "the system".

I think every one here can definitely agree that the current tax system, political system and lobbyist system needs to be destroyed. but that's not the same as destroying the country. Once again remember not 50 years ago Jim Crow was the universal "system" through out the south. That system needed to be destroyed totally. It was inherently evil and detrimental to our nation.

So what we need to know is what is at the core of these movements. Is it to bring down a capitalistic system. I don't think so. Do we need to get rid of the system where money buys political influence? maybe so?

I don't know. It's on many OWS signs that the goal is to bring down capitalism. Their methods are decimating the economies of cities they occupy. It does seem to be their plan, and it's working.

I don't know. It's on many OWS signs that the goal is to bring down capitalism. Their methods are decimating the economies of cities they occupy. It does seem to be their plan, and it's working.

That's the system I thought Ack was referring to, Capitalism, I should have clarified.

If the current system of taxation is what they want to bring down, more power to them, heck, I'll join them.

If the system is the current lobby system, again, more power to them.

If the system of the gov picking winners and losers, down with that too.

To those that support the OWS, did you also support the Tea Party?

That's the system I thought Ack was referring to, Capitalism, I should have clarified.

If the current system of taxation is what they want to bring down, more power to them, heck, I'll join them.

Yep. I know I did. Now at first I was pretty ticked off at the blatant racist posters that they had, I was finally happy to see some of hte leaders step up and tell them to knock if off and I swear to God, I will probably punch the next person who tells me that the reason I voted a certain way is because I want the government to take care of me. I'm so sick of that mantra I want to scream and even still I hear ridiculous statements, a presidental candidate supposedly backed by the tea party, gets on tv and says the reason why blacks always vote democratic is because we're "brainwashed" and then actually thinks I'm going to vote for him? seriously? You just called me stupid and yet I should give you my vote?

But from day 1, I was on board with them protesting and marching.

I 100% am on board with trying to get us living within our budget, I do wish they would make more suggestions on how we could do that. We had a tea party candidate here in South Jersey who simply ran on a "end medicaid/medicare" platform but she never gave an answer to what would happen to the thousands of people who depend on it for health care.

Generally I'm pretty happy when I see folks get actively engaged, as I say all the time, our current situation didn't just "happen" to us, we've been living la vida loco for the last 30 years and as long as it didn't effect us individually, we went along merrily for the ride.

I wouldn't call myself a supporter of either group but both groups have complaints that I would agree on.

Actually, the super majority of those at OWS would like it to be peaceful and have the changes come through peaceful demonstrations. They've been VERY open about confronting those who are try to incite trouble. There are some that are on the fringe (As well As other groups) who are waiting in the wings, so to speak. And I'm sure if the peaceful demonstrations don't bring about some changes it will escalate. I'd guess the country is on a cusp right now. Who knows where it will go, or what will set it off. Maybe it will be something like the Vets who were shot with the rubber bullets (and seriously injured) in Oakland when video shows that they were peacefully protesting before being shot. Maybe it will be something like in Chicago, where, in response to the protests in the street below, the investment bankers dumped thousands of McDonald's applications on their heads while laughing, maybe it will be, even though polls show that over 80% of Americans think that Citizens united is bad for the government, politicians refuse to abolish it, or maybe it will be the results of the super committee, if they insist on more cuts for the middle/working class and the poor, but refuse to pay even 1 penny more in taxes for the top 1%. there's a lot of situations out there that might be the straw that breaks the back of the country. Or maybe politicians will come around and start representing the country as a whole, instead of catering to the top 1%. I have no idea which way it will go, but somethings got to change, and change soon.
OWS is trying to keep things peaceful, but every day is one day closer to the boiling point, and then it might be too late.

I Supported the Tea party's right to protest - always. I didn't support the tea party in their platform though, I feel that a party that wants little government involvement spends way too much time involved with what's going on in my bedroom. And I can't get behind that.

I Supported the Tea party's right to protest - always. I didn't support the tea party in their platform though, I feel that a party that wants little government involvement spends way too much time involved with what's going on in my bedroom. And I can't get behind that.

:confused3

Actually, the super majority of those at OWS would like it to be peaceful and have the changes come through peaceful demonstrations. They've been VERY open about confronting those who are try to incite trouble. There are some that are on the fringe (As well As other groups) who are waiting in the wings, so to speak. And I'm sure if the peaceful demonstrations don't bring about some changes it will escalate. I'd guess the country is on a cusp right now. Who knows where it will go, or what will set it off. Maybe it will be something like the Vets who were shot with the rubber bullets (and seriously injured) in Oakland when video shows that they were peacefully protesting before being shot. Maybe it will be something like in Chicago, where, in response to the protests in the street below, the investment bankers dumped thousands of McDonald's applications on their heads while laughing, maybe it will be, even though polls show that over 80% of Americans think that Citizens united is bad for the government, politicians refuse to abolish it, or maybe it will be the results of the super committee, if they insist on more cuts for the middle/working class and the poor, but refuse to pay even 1 penny more in taxes for the top 1%. there's a lot of situations out there that might be the straw that breaks the back of the country. Or maybe politicians will come around and start representing the country as a whole, instead of catering to the top 1%. I have no idea which way it will go, but somethings got to change, and change soon.
OWS is trying to keep things peaceful, but every day is one day closer to the boiling point, and then it might be too late.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the "super majority" want it to be peaceful, they are failing miserably.

Occupy DC Pushes Grandma Down Stairs

The incident in Oakland where the vet was struck in the head with a 'police projectile', occurred after the 'peaceful' protesters were throwing bottles and rocks at the police. One admitted that in a news interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlHiNEZ1wA

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the "super majority" want it to be peaceful, they are failing miserably.

Occupy DC Pushes Grandma Down Stairs

The incident in Oakland where the vet was struck in the head with a 'police projectile', occurred after the 'peaceful' protesters were throwing bottles and rocks at the police. One admitted that in a news interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlHiNEZ1wA

You are 100% correct, which is why a certain segment here never responds to your points. Or will to the additional ones below:

Drug arrests at Occupy Boston:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/2011_1023drug_vandalism_arrests_at_occupy_boston

Sexual assaults at numerous occupy "camps," including one of a child in Dallas

http://abcnews.go.com/US/sexual-assaults-occupy-wall-street-camps/story?id=14873014

Intentional desecration of the flag in San Diego:

http://www.therightscoop.com/sickening-occupy-san-diego-uses-flag-as-chew-toy/

Occupy protestors defecating in banks:

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=47360

Please, occupiers, keep it up. If you want to gain sympathy from the masses, sick, hateful behavior is just the ticket. :rolleyes1

I hope you are right, that they want it to be peaceful. It is just that what I see on the news tells something different.

Perhaps if class warfare had not been brought to the forefront by the POTUS, it would have been more peaceful.

Supporting the right to protest is not at question. Which, the Tea Party did take out permits to protest. They did it legally.

What exactly does your second sentence mean?
I feel that a party that wants little government involvement spends way too much time involved with what's going on in my bedroom.

And other than the Tea Party somehow wanting to know what is going on in your bedroom, what other platforms did you disagree with?

I'll be honest. I did not support OWS because of the fact that so many politicians laughed at the Tea Party and called it that nasty name. Accused it of being 'astroturf'. Made up lies about it. News coverage was unfair. If there was anything racially negative, it was front page. When in reality there was very little of anything like that going on. And we have no way of knowing if it was actually Tea Party participants holding the racially charged signs.

But I truly hope that the OWS will bring to light the fact that people have had it. Change is needed.
I am not sure if this is the route, but if it works, great.

I believe what the poster is saying is that the Tea Party shouldn't get involved with gay marriage - am I right?

[QUOTE/=]

But I truly hope that the OWS will bring to light the fact that people have had it. Change is needed.
I am not sure if this is the route, but if it works, great.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why thier all there. That one reason. I think every one in this country is fed up and want things the way they were. Im tired of not being able to stay at a deluxe hotel at WDW or even being able to send my DD on a school trip. I think politicians will maybe start getting it through thier heads that they are representing us but yet not doing ANYTHING to help. Just my 2 cents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter