Am I the only one puzzled by Pandora?

I just saw the commercial for Pandora. I rushed to Disneyworld.com on my laptop. I'M SOOOOO DISAPPOINTED. Another boat floating through the water! COME ON DISNEY that's all your creative imagineers could produce? PLEASE DISNEY let this be the LAST boat that floats through the scenes of a movie! DUMBEST IDEA EVER!! I know they have the flying ride but WHY would they make another boat that floats through the water. SMH!!:scared::scared::scared::mad::mad::mad:

They wanted one of the rides to be family friendly with no height requirement (likely), instead of two "thrill rides" so they split the difference. Also, this "another boat floating through the water" is supposed to use similar tech to what was done for Pirates of the Caribbean at Shanghai, which if you look at any videos and read accounts, is AMAZING. It may even be the better ride of the two.

I thought this was hitting us over the head, repeatedly, right there on the surface -- no digging required! ;) Very preachy to me. Which I hate coming from "entertainment".

And as an aside, there's a lot of misinformation about things like deforestation out there. As an example, when you account for replanting, there is more forest acreage in the US today than there was 60yrs ago. Canada is roughly stable over time, despite their massive logging industry. Multiple sources on this.

In any case, vive la différence! Obviously what repels me probably attracts a lot of people! :)
The world is a lot bigger than the US or even North America. A lot of areas aren't doing well. I don't care where the "preaching" comes from if it means it makes a few folks think twice

The world is a lot bigger than the US or even North America. A lot of areas aren't doing well. I don't care where the "preaching" comes from if it means it makes a few folks think twice
Agreed -- I haven't looked into such stats for the entire planet. But many people claim that deforestation in North America is catastrophic -- that isn't accurate.

As I said pretty clearly: "Vive la différence! Obviously what repels me probably attracts a lot of people!" Sounds like you're in the latter category. And that's all good. :goodvibes

I wasn't excited at all for Pandora, as a matter of fact when it was first talked about I thought it was not good planning. I was one of the few people that didn't see the movie in theaters. I did see it on dvd and thought it was a good movie, but couldn't understand why Disney would focus an entire area of their park on it.

I feel differently now. I think that this is going to be a beautiful area regardless of what it is based on. I'm excited for both attractions. Seeing the commercials the last couple of nights on tv have really sparked my interest and excitement more. I'm bummed that our upcoming trip is going to be ending 2 weeks short of opening day. (Though not enough to change it since I want to say goodbye to Wishes:sad:) DH has even commented that maybe we should upgrade our PHs to APs and plan a return trip in the fall to see it.

It didn't used to have to do with Disney.
But, since there is a multi-million dollar addition to DAK based on Avatar, it has a lot to do with Disney.

You know, for a lot of lifetimes, Snow White, Cinderella, the Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast were around...
and had nothing to do with Disney.

And Aladdin, and The Snow Queen... the list goes on and on.

I have not watched Avatar since I saw it on the big screen when it first came out, but Pandora captivated me in the same way that I fall in love with other fictitious universes. To quote Liz Lemon, "I want to go to there!"

Years ago, an Avatar exhibit came to the EMP/Sci Fi Museum here in Seattle. If DAK's Pandora only incorporated what that exhibit had, I would be quite content. My artist nephew sat and created his own Pandora plants for easily 30 minutes. My sister and I learned a few words in Na'vi. We acted in virtual reality short films. We played with screens that let us fling documents around like in the movie.

I am very excited to go - but am holding out for a massive family trip for my 50th birthday (when Star Wars Land should also be complete).

I am super excited for Pandora. I was even when they announced it. I love the movie, but I am very into the environment. I also love sci-fi and all of James Cameron's movies. People say how it is a stupid pick yet they love Star Wars (I do too.) The Star Wars movies are political war movies:)- Especially this last one! I was sitting next to a family and the little girl had no idea WTH was going on in Rogue 1. It was so far over her head and the end freaked her out.

All of this consternation and hand-wringing over a new section of a theme park is astounding. If you like the movie, go see it. If you don't, either give it a shot or just skip it.

I literally can't imagine spending a minute of my life getting upset over it.

All of this consternation and hand-wringing over a new section of a theme park is astounding. If you like the movie, go see it. If you don't, either give it a shot or just skip it.

Upset?? :confused3

I find the entire conversation strange. I posted before that I don't get why it matters what they themed the new land on. So it's a movie that for whatever reason the avg Dis reader didn't see. Clearly, outside of The Dis, a lot of people saw the movie. Dis readers are not avg when it comes to this movie, for whatever reason. It's (the movie's) popularity really makes no difference at all on if the land will be great or not. Does it?

Last edited:
It's popularity really makes no difference at all on if the land will be great or not. Does it?
I think it will be CRAZY popular just because it's something NEW and from the minds of DISNEY IMAGINEERS.

HOWEVER... I'd bet you'd see greater popularity with SW Land -- specifically because generations are truly in love with that IP. I think the IP itself would affect popularity.

Guess we'll see...

I think it will be CRAZY popular just because it's something NEW and from the minds of DISNEY IMAGINEERS.

HOWEVER... I'd bet you'd see greater popularity with SW Land -- specifically because generations are truly in love with that IP. I think the IP itself would affect popularity.

Guess we'll see...
No, I stated that poorly. Any new land will be attract guests just because it's new.
I meant the popularity of Avatar the movie really has no bearing on if Pandora will be great, or not great, does it?
That's really 2 different questions/things to ponder.

No, I stated that poorly. Any new land will be attract guests just because it's new.
I meant the popularity of Avatar the movie really has no bearing on if Pandora will be great, or not great, does it?
That's really 2 different questions/things to ponder.
AGREE 100%!! I don't think that HOW GREAT Pandora will be is impacted by the popularity of this particular movie. It had great raw material from a visual standpoint, and Disney can most certainly run with that -- I'm REALLY looking forward to what they've created!

HOW POPULAR it will be I think is affected by IP (e.g. Harry Potter, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.) to some degree -- but not exclusively. There's a reason this IP is worth paying $$$$ to acquire. :)

I only question this new trend of "insert movie name here"land. I get that this is Pandora and not Avatar, but the movie seems to be a central part. The same with SW land and TS land. I guess I prefer the sweeping themes of Tommorowland, Fantasyland and Adventureland. Where Pooh can be next to Pan and Pirates by Tikis.

I like the diversity that a more general theme provides. This certainly could have fit into the mystical or mythical creatures portion without being strictly Avatar. And it can't be because they are out of movies, I see no Robin Hood love anywhere in the parks!

And yes, I get the conservation aspect (though I have not seen the movie) and the argument for immersion. I guess I don't get why I have to be totally immersed in Pandora and not just the idea of the themes, which could appeal to a broader audience.

I only question this new trend of "insert movie name here"land. I get that this is Pandora and not Avatar, but the movie seems to be a central part. The same with SW land and TS land.
OMG!! I HOPE that you're not suggesting that Star Wars is ONLY a movie?!?!?! ;)

I guess I don't get why I have to be totally immersed in Pandora and not just the idea of the themes, which could appeal to a broader audience.
I think you might feel a bit differently if you saw the movie. I'm on the record many times here saying that I did NOT like this movie. At all. For many reasons. BUT, I did find the visuals very appealing and somewhat unique. I think it will be quite cool once Disney is done with it... and I don't think people will have had to see the movie to enjoy the atmosphere... :)

I only question this new trend of "insert movie name here"land. I get that this is Pandora and not Avatar, but the movie seems to be a central part. The same with SW land and TS land. I guess I prefer the sweeping themes of Tommorowland, Fantasyland and Adventureland. Where Pooh can be next to Pan and Pirates by Tikis.

I like the diversity that a more general theme provides. This certainly could have fit into the mystical or mythical creatures portion without being strictly Avatar. And it can't be because they are out of movies, I see no Robin Hood love anywhere in the parks!

And yes, I get the conservation aspect (though I have not seen the movie) and the argument for immersion. I guess I don't get why I have to be totally immersed in Pandora and not just the idea of the themes, which could appeal to a broader audience.
Good points. Maybe it was all started by CarsLand in CA and just how dang popular it turned out to be. Everyone raves about how it immerses you in the movie's location. How awesome it is to see the movie come to life. I guess they want to recreate that?

I thought this was hitting us over the head, repeatedly, right there on the surface -- no digging required! ;) Very preachy to me. Which I hate coming from "entertainment".
Affecting social and political change has been a key function of entertainment since the time of ancient Greece. Consider the effect of OWHsr.'s Old Ironsides poem on the decomissioning of the USS Constitution.

And as an aside, there's a lot of misinformation about things like deforestation out there. As an example, when you account for replanting, there is more forest acreage in the US today than there was 60yrs ago. Canada is roughly stable over time, despite their massive logging industry.
I think focusing only on domestic deforestation might be a bit myopic. As is comparing the environmental critisisms alluded to in Avatar to Canada's logging industry. Canada is the size of the continental US and has less population than California. It also has an extensive framework of environmental regulations. Most American environmentalists would be thrilled if we could get half the protection of our environment that Canada has for theirs.

For me, the contemporary issues spoken to most by the visuals of Avatar are things like Mountaintop Removal Mining and Hydraulic Fracture oil and gas well stimulation. Just overt violence on our environment that results in devastated wilderness, health cost burden on neighboring population, not to mention earthquakes by the thousands now in places that would have maybe one or two every couple years. Whatever the right mix of environmental protection policies might be, the fact is that in many states where the problems are greatest the resource extraction corporations pick the government (or the people just happen to vote in governments that give the store away to them every election).

That's where the message of Avatar, preachy as it might be, hits home for me. It is a reminder that as a people we can not get richer by letting the wealth and privilege of a healthy environment get dug up and sold off by a tiny handful of businesses. If that is a story that seems like a repeat of previous tales ... maybe that's because the message is an old one ... I can't think of a better lesson to fall back on.

Good points. Maybe it was all started by CarsLand in CA and just how dang popular it turned out to be. Everyone raves about how it immerses you in the movie's location. How awesome it is to see the movie come to life. I guess they want to recreate that?

Well, that and the Wizarding World. Like it or not, those are the benchmarks now. It's okay. Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Frontierland, and Fantasyland aren't going anywhere. Current trends will change. I am looking forward to Pandora and SW, and Toy Story, and anything else they wanna toss in there (Epcot needs some love).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter