Am I the only one puzzled by Pandora?

Affecting social and political change has been a key function of entertainment since the time of ancient Greece. Consider the effect of OWHsr.'s Old Ironsides poem on the decomissioning of the USS Constitution.

I think focusing only on domestic deforestation might be a bit myopic. As is comparing the environmental critisisms alluded to in Avatar to Canada's logging industry. Canada is the size of the continental US and has less population than California. It also has an extensive framework of environmental regulations. Most American environmentalists would be thrilled if we could get half the protection of our environment that Canada has for theirs.

For me, the contemporary issues spoken to most by the visuals of Avatar are things like Mountaintop Removal Mining and Hydraulic Fracture oil and gas well stimulation. Just overt violence on our environment that results in devastated wilderness, health cost burden on neighboring population, not to mention earthquakes by the thousands now in places that would have maybe one or two every couple years. Whatever the right mix of environmental protection policies might be, the fact is that in many states where the problems are greatest the resource extraction corporations pick the government (or the people just happen to vote in governments that give the store away to them every election).

That's where the message of Avatar, preachy as it might be, hits home for me. It is a reminder that as a people we can not get richer by letting the wealth and privilege of a healthy environment get dug up and sold off by a tiny handful of businesses. If that is a story that seems like a repeat of previous tales ... maybe that's because the message is an old one ... I can't think of a better lesson to fall back on.

I get your POV -- I just don't share it. What is/isn't entertaining is obviously subjective.

Good points. Maybe it was all started by CarsLand in CA and just how dang popular it turned out to be. Everyone raves about how it immerses you in the movie's location. How awesome it is to see the movie come to life. I guess they want to recreate that?

Funny, I was going to mention that I have never been to DL but it seemed to work there. It certainly sounds like CarsLand is very popular and they seem to be running with this idea. (Or chasing Harry Potter!)

I always find it amazing how American's (which I am btw) complain about the "preachy" nature of the Avatar film, but you pretty much never hear people from other countries complaining about that.

It is what it is, the message of the movie hit home for me personally, but I get not everyone agrees and that's ok!

I always find it amazing how American's (which I am btw) complain about the "preachy" nature of the Avatar film, but you pretty much never hear people from other countries complaining about that.
I was born in Canada and lived there for 22 years - do I qualify?

There's "message / theme" and then there's "beating me over the head with the message / theme". I felt Avatar was the latter. Subjective. :)

To me, it was preachy wrt environment, military conflicts, big business. That was a lot to take, FOR ME. Caricatures more than characters. Also subjective. :)

It is what it is, the message of the movie hit home for me personally, but I get not everyone agrees and that's ok!
Like! Like! Like! :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

Last edited:
I'm guessing I'll really hear it when I say I haven't seen these movies either?!! But I did own an Ewok plush when I was a kid, if that redeems me at all!!
If I were to admit that if everything Star Wars were to disappear forever, I wouldn't miss it a bit, I guess they'll be marching on my home. If not on my office, so as not to have to wait a few more hours for me to get home from work. (Not to say that I didn't enjoy the first two movies, but I don't continue to watch 'Bluebeard's Ghost' or 'The Gnomemobile' either.)

I pretty much agree with the sentiments of the OP. Never saw Avatar until fairly recently and to be honest I thought it was just ok? That being said I'm sure it will be a pretty cool land with some neat attractions?

Have you read some of the posts here? Maybe upset was the wrong word, but ... just move on if you don't like it. Not sure why everything needs to be explained or justified.
"Needs" is a strong word... it's a discussion board, though... I think people are discussing... No requirement to read it all... :)

If you dig deeper into the meaning behind Pandora, it is mocking what we are doing to our world now. We are destroying our world simply to get things that are not needed. Look at how much land is destroyed digging and searching for precious metals and gems. Look at how much forest is being torn up for excess building.
I assume that there is a way to twist that argument into whatever one might support or condemn. For example, look at all the pristine wet lands that were destroyed to create WDW. Surely no one thinks that WDW is essential to life itself. If the message was really one about what we are doing to our planet, it is difficult to identify with when all the residents are blue.

Hoping this won't come across the wrong way because I always look forward to seeing new things at WDW and Pandora is no exception, however . . .

I am a bit puzzled by the choice of Pandora as a new land at AK. I mean Avatar came out in 2009 and while we went to see it when it came out, I honestly haven't given it a second thought since then. I really don't even remember much about it. Is there a sequel coming out or something? My 15 year old son loves all the Star Wars movies and other action/SI movies but he could care less about Avatar.

While I will be excited to see what it is all about when we are there in July, I can't say that I'm excited because of the Avatar theme per se, more just because it's new. It just seems like an incredibly outdated option to me. I understand that it is probably more difficult to come up with a new theme for AK but it just seems odd to me.

This is Disney's explanation for the connection. And if you have a weak stomach, don't look at his left ear. LOL

I can literally only remember two things about Avatar:

1) Zoe Saldana had something to do with it

2) "Unobtainium"

So yeah, everyone on the planet saw it, but did it leave an impression?

Will be interested to see if the IP booms again after such a long lull. My gut instinct says it isn't going to perform well compared to the Marvel and Star Wars juggernauts. (Although perhaps people will be tiring of those by the time more Avatar films are actually released.)

There's also been announced Ubisoft is coming out with an Avatar video game

If Disney's response to Harry Potter is Avatar the rides are going to seriously have to impress me because all the previews that have come out showing parts of the land are not doing it so far.I was just at Universal yesterday mostly to get on one of the Mardi Gras floats to throw beads in the parade but I got one ride on Escape from Gringotts and for whatever reason I was really looking at all the details inside Diagonal Alley and that place is truly amazing,the first Potter phase in Islands of Adventure is awesome but Diagonal Alley is out of control.Maybe its just how Avatar and AK are that they're nature based with mostly trees and while beautiful is not going to compare to the buildings,architecture and attractions you get at Harry Potter in Universal.Also given that I fell asleep at the theater watching Avatar is another reason I'm not overly excited about it.Its no secret AK is not my favorite park,I've been telling myself to go out there to go see RoL but not being able to get a FP for it and being told seating is limited and that the reviews are not that great and I've yet to go and might not go for a while.The only real great memory I have of a special moment at AK was waiting 2.5 hours to ride Everest during the passholder preview,it was a long wait but well worth it as that is a great ride,I hop if I have to wait that long for the two rides in Avatar land I won't be disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter