Am I the only one puzzled by Pandora?

I am a bit puzzled by the choice of Pandora as a new land at AK. I mean Avatar came out in 2009 and while we went to see it when it came out, I honestly haven't given it a second thought since then.
How many people were fanatical about Song of the South when Splash Mountain opened? Next to nobody. But Splash is one of the very best attractions Disney has ever done. I'm willing to wait and see how this land turns out before deciding I don't like it.

Pandora is not Disneys response to Harry Potter. Star Wars is. Pandora is their response to AK being a half day park to a lot of people.

Pandora was announced in Sept 2011 after HP got such a big response for Universal in the summer of 2010. It was Disney's response even if it's not opening until 6 years after the announcement and 7 years after HP. The Fantasyland Expansion was considered to be the first thing added to keep attention away from HP.

If Disney's response to Harry Potter is Avatar the rides are going to seriously have to impress me because all the previews that have come out showing parts of the land are not doing it so far.I was just at Universal yesterday mostly to get on one of the Mardi Gras floats to throw beads in the parade but I got one ride on Escape from Gringotts and for whatever reason I was really looking at all the details inside Diagonal Alley and that place is truly amazing,the first Potter phase in Islands of Adventure is awesome but Diagonal Alley is out of control.Maybe its just how Avatar and AK are that they're nature based with mostly trees and while beautiful is not going to compare to the buildings,architecture and attractions you get at Harry Potter in Universal.Also given that I fell asleep at the theater watching Avatar is another reason I'm not overly excited about it.Its no secret AK is not my favorite park,I've been telling myself to go out there to go see RoL but not being able to get a FP for it and being told seating is limited and that the reviews are not that great and I've yet to go and might not go for a while.The only real great memory I have of a special moment at AK was waiting 2.5 hours to ride Everest during the passholder preview,it was a long wait but well worth it as that is a great ride,I hop if I have to wait that long for the two rides in Avatar land I won't be disappointed.
Hilariously, a lot of of the people who worked on WWoHP (which is the most amazing & immersive theme park experience I've ever had) were former Imagineers who had previously been working on... the part of Animal Kingdom that was never built.

Hilariously, a lot of of the people who worked on WWoHP (which is the most amazing & immersive theme park experience I've ever had) were former Imagineers who had previously been working on... the part of Animal Kingdom that was never built.

I recently saw a video on that. Dueling Dragons and the Flying Unicorn were pulled almost directly from Beastly Kingdom.

If Disney's response to Harry Potter is Avatar the rides are going to seriously have to impress me because all the previews that have come out showing parts of the land are not doing it so far.I was just at Universal yesterday mostly to get on one of the Mardi Gras floats to throw beads in the parade but I got one ride on Escape from Gringotts and for whatever reason I was really looking at all the details inside Diagonal Alley and that place is truly amazing,the first Potter phase in Islands of Adventure is awesome but Diagonal Alley is out of control.Maybe its just how Avatar and AK are that they're nature based with mostly trees and while beautiful is not going to compare to the buildings,architecture and attractions you get at Harry Potter in Universal.Also given that I fell asleep at the theater watching Avatar is another reason I'm not overly excited about it.Its no secret AK is not my favorite park,I've been telling myself to go out there to go see RoL but not being able to get a FP for it and being told seating is limited and that the reviews are not that great and I've yet to go and might not go for a while.The only real great memory I have of a special moment at AK was waiting 2.5 hours to ride Everest during the passholder preview,it was a long wait but well worth it as that is a great ride,I hop if I have to wait that long for the two rides in Avatar land I won't be disappointed.

If I may attempt to predict the future based on this post, you aren't going to like it. ;)

You already aren't impressed by the videos (which, wow) and are comparing to Harry Potter at Universal - which apples/oranges. And you already admit you don't like Animal Kingdom. I think maybe you won't be impressed and that's okay!

But Tom Sawyer is a classic novel everyone has to read in high school (maybe not everyone, but a lot of people). I'm sure most Americans know the story of Jim and Tom riding on a raft on the Mississippi River heading north to freedom.

Will people know about Avatar 150 years from now? Probably not.

That was Huckleberry Finn, with Jim and the raft. Tom Sawyer goes spe-lunking with Becky Thatcher and gets lost in the cave. ;)

Who cares that it's Avatar, it's finally a way for Animal Kingdom to get their Mythical land that was always planned, hence the dragon on signs. Camp Minnie & Mickey was never supposed to be permanent and where the mythical land would go. We aren't getting a Beastly coaster, but what they have sounds cool to me.

If I may attempt to predict the future based on this post, you aren't going to like it. ;)

You already aren't impressed by the videos (which, wow) and are comparing to Harry Potter at Universal - which apples/oranges. And you already admit you don't like Animal Kingdom. I think maybe you won't be impressed and that's okay!

I think I'm going to enjoy the rides but not be wowed by them,whats not to like about the flying banshee simulator and the boat ride does look nice,but overall I doubt that it'll wow me like Potter.Kind of like the new Jimmy Fallon ride at Universal,its a fun simulator but people are talking more about the queue than the ride as the queue is very innovative while the ride is just another simulator.

How many people were fanatical about Song of the South when Splash Mountain opened? Next to nobody. But Splash is one of the very best attractions Disney has ever done. I'm willing to wait and see how this land turns out before deciding I don't like it.

I was about to make this same post. There are plenty of WDW attractions, lands, etc that are associated with little known films or no film at all, yet still worthy on their own merits.

No one in our fam gave two hoots when Avatar opened in theaters and none of us give two hoots about Pandora at AK.

No interest.

I really don't see the attractiveness of Avatar either. I was just talking to my fiancé about this the other day. There are so many better movies that they could've went with for a new land in AK.

I just realized that they announced the Pandora land in 2011 which was only 2 years after the movie so likely when they were first negotiating it was still a hot ticket. To bad it took so long to build the land and that the movie isnt the classic-that-stands-the-test-of-time that I think they assumed it would be. I think many more people would be more excited about it if it was still 2011 or the movie had stayed relevant.

Either way, I'll still enjoy it and I'm also just glad the there is more to do in AK and that that should relieve some of the congestion in the other parks. I seem to hear a lot of people dismiss AK or say that if your short on time its the park to skip. Hopefully this wont be the case now.

Carsland proved to me that you dont have to like a movie to get all into its themeing greatly enjoy a "land".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter