Alone in my excitment

Natiaudsmom

Earning My Ears
This is my first post. My family and I leave for Disney in 43 days. This will be our first and likely our last trip there. My husband is NOT excited in any way, shape, or form to go to Disney. He pretty much hates crowds and noise, and people really irritate him. I had to beg, plead and argue for months to get him to agree to go. Now anytime I bring it up I get the silent treatment or it turns into an argument. My girls (6&8) would be ecstatic if they knew, but I wanted to surprise them, so I can't talk or plan with them. That pretty much leaves my friends and coworkers. But I try not to talk about it to much because I don't want to be THAT girl who goes on and on about her vacation. So I keep all my excitment to myself and keep my count down on a post it note on my desk. It's really hard to be so excited and have no one to share it with. I have enjoyed reading about everyone else's adventures on these boards and it amazes me how frequently so many people go to Disney. This is our first family vacation ever. Hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

Welcome to a place where every single one of us completely "gets it!" :)

Hubby will probably fall into the Disney Magic once he is there & sees the girls excitement!

I'm betting that it will be very worth it. and that this won't be a one off at all... we all go that first time thinking the same thing - and the majority of us always find a way to get back there ;)

Share your excitement here! My husband is not a typical theme park person but luckily WDW is not a typical theme park. Maybe once your husband gets there and has a good time he will change his mind, I know mine did. :)

Eta: I always try to add in something I know my husband will enjoy too, like a special meal or downtime at the resort.

I crammed everything I possibly could into our Disney trip 2 years ago thinking it would be my only chance. About half way through the trip my DH looks at me and says when are we coming back. I was shocked we had to delay the trip a year do to a surprise pregnancy with baby #5 but we are currently below the 60 day mark and he is as excited as I am this time. I agree with planning something special he would like. I made sure that I had a fast pass for at least one ride I thought he would enjoy each day. Good luck and I hope the Disney bug bites him!

I've had 20 plus trips to Disney over the past 2 decades, to this day my husband has never been, he HATES crowds, hates hot weather, hates rides etc.....My mom started my addiction when my daughter was six, we would take a trip with my mother every two years which continued when my son was born, I've taken all of my nieces and nephews throughout the years but my husband.....and after he sees all our pictures he says well maybe next time, looks like you guys had a blast.....well now my mom has passed and besides my kids who thankfully have the disney love too there is no one else to feel my excitement every time.....

I feel your pain!! My husband refuses to even come on our Disney trips anymore. While he was keen in the beginning, he's got no interest anymore so I'm on my own! My teenage son is the same, but at least I have my daughters to share the excitement with! This upcoming trip is a surprise for my 8yo daughter so I've really had to dial it back. Here's hoping your husband falls in love with Disney and this trip is just the first of many for you!!

At least you have this place now :) It IS fun to share the excitement, even if online. What are things your husband may enjoy? Perhaps we can help you add things to the list that he may enjoy while there.

I've had 20 plus trips to Disney over the past 2 decades, to this day my husband has never been, he HATES crowds, hates hot weather, hates rides etc.....My mom started my addiction when my daughter was six, we would take a trip with my mother every two years which continued when my son was born, I've taken all of my nieces and nephews throughout the years but my husband.....and after he sees all our pictures he says well maybe next time, looks like you guys had a blast.....well now my mom has passed and besides my kids who thankfully have the disney love too there is no one else to feel my excitement every time.....
Hugs! I go with my mom, too. It's thanks to her that I have the bug, too. I'm thrilled you can share the excitement with your kids now, and hope your DH will choose to join you sometime soon.

We went in September of 2013, and thought it would be our one and only trip. We planned on going back in 2014 before the first trip was even over but had to cancel, we went back in 2015 and are planning a trip for Dec of this year. Both my DH and I thought we were going mostly for the kids in 2013 and it would be a one and done (especially him, he hates crowds and the heat).

:welcome: to the place where everyone gets it!!

Yup, I go alot and DH goes maybe once every other year. But he enjoys it when he is there. He just likes to hunt & fish so he does that with many of his vacation days. Your DH may very well surprise you when he gets there and sees your kids and you having a wonderful time. Make sure you have some good meals booked for him, maybe down time at the pool etc. And if he says he's had enough one day, let him take a break, go grab a beer and you have some girls time. My DH is always up for a trip, even a week, if I promise him pool/lazy days. I still go to parks.

Short story: Have inlaws that never took their family and their kids are adults now with their own small kids. They pretty much poo poo'd me with their looks on all our visits. They never understood and that is fine. This summer out of blue asked my help to plan a trip to take grand etc. I gave minimal info because honestly expected them to have bad time no matter what and I wasn't going to be to blame. I fully expected my DSIL to stay in the hotel due to the heat. Well extended ended up going so I think they made her commit to Disney hotel (AKL) when she asked me about a super cheap offsite hotel with great pools, water slides etc (I told her those two things don't go together). I just knew she would hate it and be sure to say it's not for them. Well she called my DH and said "I understand why you all love it so much there" ..... what what? There is hope for anyone.

"There is no right way or wrong way to do Disney, just what is right for you!"
This is so true!! And there IS a way to make it work, so long as we don't assume that OUR way is the only right way. ... HopperFan, all your visits listed in your sig are AMAZING!! I'm looking forward to adding to my list of visits.

This is so true!! And there IS a way to make it work, so long as we don't assume that OUR way is the only right way. ... HopperFan, all your visits listed in your sig are AMAZING!! I'm looking forward to adding to my list of visits.

Haha, thanks. My Dad took us to Disney World while it was under construction. We went to the visitors center (still on Hotel Plaza Blvd) and watched movies, bought post cards that were drawings (I still have some) and as soon as it opened he brought us back. Thanksgiving, total disaster in the park - Disney was not prepared. And been going ever since. It's in our blood!!

It is so true. Even for me, every trip is different.
- Value, Moderate, Deluxe, Disney Springs, Offsite, Suites, Condos ... done it all.
- Whole family now means off site in condo or suite.
- Smaller group means hotel room on or off site depending on trip.
- Just a couple of us means we can stay anywhere.
- DH comes means no values :D hotel snob.
- Short trips mean I don't care about pools
- Long trips mean amenities might be nice
- Watching budget close means more trips for me
- DDP, OOP and packing lunches, done it all - depends on trip

Key is do what is best for YOUR trip and YOUR plans and YOUR family!

Let no one Disney-shame you! :earsgirl::earsboy:

That applies to your lodging, your dining style, parks, hours, etc.

Haha, thanks. My Dad took us to Disney World while it was under construction. We went to the visitors center (still on Hotel Plaza Blvd) and watched movies, bought post cards that were drawings (I still have some) and as soon as it opened he brought us back. Thanksgiving, total disaster in the park - Disney was not prepared. And been going ever since. It's in our blood!!

It is so true. Even for me, every trip is different.
- Value, Moderate, Deluxe, Disney Springs, Offsite, Suites, Condos ... done it all.
- Whole family now means off site in condo or suite.
- Smaller group means hotel room on or off site depending on trip.
- Just a couple of us means we can stay anywhere.
- DH comes means no values :D hotel snob.
- Short trips mean I don't care about pools
- Long trips mean amenities might be nice
- Watching budget close means more trips for me
- DDP, OOP and packing lunches, done it all - depends on trip

Key is do what is best for YOUR trip and YOUR plans and YOUR family!

Let no one Disney-shame you! :earsgirl::earsboy:

That applies to your lodging, your dining style, parks, hours, etc.
You are now my Disney mentor :-) Love the line about letting no one Disney-shame you!

Yes, here we get it! :love: I am sorry you don't have anyone to share the excitement with at home but he may surprise you when he gets there! My husband was only slightly interested on our first trip now he drives me crazy with planning every detail. :surfweb:

I know it can be tough but try not to worry and feel free to discuss all you want with everyone here! :grouphug:

Hi Natiaudsmom, I wanted to let you know I had a somewhat similar experience when my DH and I took our first trip with our boys. That trip was back in January of 2011, and our boys, at the time, were roughly your kiddos' ages. I had been to WDW as a kid, so I knew how amazing it would be, but my hubby had never been and wasn't excited at all. Granted, conversations didn't end in arguments or the silent treatment, but he just wasn't thrilled about going. (He feels the same way about crowds and noise as your husband.)

That first trip was a quick one. We flew in Thursday night, hit MK and Epcot on Friday and Saturday, and flew home on Sunday. This was over a school semester break and we didn't want kids to miss school and we weren't sure how the boys would do.

The weather was cold (no swimming and multiple layers of sweatshirts and jeans) and we didn't hit all four parks or DS, and we only did QS meals, but we had an AMAZING time!! Everything was a wonder for both my hubby and my kids, from the tram ride at the MCO airport (seriously...I guess we don't get out much :D), to the theming at All Star Music where we stayed, to the bus rides to the parks, to the character meet and greets, to the attractions. Seriously. Everything!! On the flight home, my hubby asked when we could start planning our next trip. Since then, we have gone back once every year, trying a new resort each time.

Because my hubby and one son with special needs don't handle loud noises and crowds well, we work hard to try to go during lower crowd times. We have gone in January, February, March, and May, and we have had truly magical trips each and every time we have gone. Our 2016 trip was supposed to have been our last Disney trip for awhile, as we had planned on taking an RV trip out west to see the Grand Canyon in the summer of 2017. (Our budget only allows for one trip a year.) To my surprise (and delight!), both my boys and ESPECIALLY my husband begged to put off the trip west in favor of ANOTHER Disney trip. So, we are headed to WDW in 2017!

I think the secret, for us, is try to avoid Thanksgiving, Christmas, and spring break high crowd times, and to have a flexible plan for each day. We certainly have a general plan of attack for which parks to visit each day, we use FP+ to the fullest, we try to get as close to RD as possible, but we also work hard to monitor potential meltdowns and go back the the resort after lunch for rest time and swimming. It's a must for us. My hubby needs the downtime as much as my boys do. There are lots of attractions that we have never done, and that's OK with us, too. We try to just soak in as much of the magic as possible, and we try not to get caught up in rushing to the next ride.

I am so excited for you in your upcoming trip, and I wish you lots of pixie dust!! Take care, and be sure and report back on how your trip went!!

I'm in a similar boat. I'm planning our first (and possibly only - or at least only with hubby!) trip in October, and it's a surprise for our kids (4 and 6). No fighting, but I just get a blank stare, eye roll, and walk away every time I try to show him our itinerary! I snagged an 8 am BOG!! Be excited with me!!!!

That said, we did a Disney cruise in February and hubby was NOT excited. I believe he described it before hand as the world's worst vacation option. I wouldn't say he got "swept up in the disney magic" - he's not the type to get swept up in anything except a beer and a football game - BUT he did recognize what a neat vacation it was and how much fun the kids had. And on the drive back from the airport, he said we should consider another Disney cruise in a couple years (!!!!!!!!).

Then, a couple of months ago he said "maybe we should surprise the kids with a Disney World trip someday" (and before he said "someday" I had already texted my AAA planner and booked the trip!)

This is all to say, you might be surprised. He might not be willing to wear a Mickey shirt or help you decide Akershus v. Cinderella's Royal Table, but he JUST might surprise you, not hate it, and be willing to even do it again :)

And if he doesn't, you can be like me, and already be planning your NEXT trip WITHOUT him :)

I went to Disney for the first time in May 1995. I expected to have a good trip but never thought I would go back. I hate crowds and I am very shy. Fast forward 22 years and I have been 45 times. Twice by myself. There is something about Disney they just makes the outside world go away and you are in the center of Disney magic. The crowds don't bother me for some reason and this shy person has volunteered to take pictures for many families. I hope your family has a magical trip and your husband enjoys it enough to give it a second chance.

ha! you just keep it here! I'm with you and have about 43 days until our trip. Kids are also being surprised so no talking to them. Luckily DH is supportive (he appreciated how I did the DLR but you can see he's not a huge fan, particularly of crowds, noise, and the cost). But he also doesn't want to sit and talk with me about planning. I've pretty much planned with minimal input from him. This might be our only trip as the kids do seem to prefer Hawaii (well, that's a hard one to beat) when we went there. We'll see. I was sure to plan things I knew he would like (dinner with just the 2 of us, factored in mid-day downtime at the pool, rides he likes, pizza dinner, etc.) and we'll just see how it goes. He did change after the DLR trip and swears the dinner I planned there at the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose was the best he's ever had and is willing to go back just for that so we'll see how it goes!

I just wanted to reply that it isn't just men who don't like the planning. My wife is okay with going but in no way wants to plan any of it. So I'm in charge of planning everything. Luckily we went last year when our daughter turned 2 and she loved it. It also made me realize how much I loved Disney for her. We are now going back in October and she is absolutely princess obsessed. My wife plays along but doesn't like crowds, noise, or anything like that. Luckily I was able to plan some things she liked as well and was able to get BOG reservations for lunch which we couldn't get last year.

This is my first post. My family and I leave for Disney in 43 days. This will be our first and likely our last trip there. My husband is NOT excited in any way, shape, or form to go to Disney. He pretty much hates crowds and noise, and people really irritate him. I had to beg, plead and argue for months to get him to agree to go. Now anytime I bring it up I get the silent treatment or it turns into an argument. My girls (6&8) would be ecstatic if they knew, but I wanted to surprise them, so I can't talk or plan with them. That pretty much leaves my friends and coworkers. But I try not to talk about it to much because I don't want to be THAT girl who goes on and on about her vacation. So I keep all my excitment to myself and keep my count down on a post it note on my desk. It's really hard to be so excited and have no one to share it with. I have enjoyed reading about everyone else's adventures on these boards and it amazes me how frequently so many people go to Disney. This is our first family vacation ever. Hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

I'm a husband/father, i hate noise, hate crowds and hate getting stuck in a sea of people. I'm not a huge fan of other people in general. But this winter will be our 3rd trip in 4 years (we're even bringing along my in-laws this time!). Disney is just different than a regular destination or amusement park, i love spending time with my family, and i love seeing how happy it makes my kids and wife (it helps that i have very positive memories of being at WDW as a child).

Hopefully your husband can go in with an open mind and then Disney can work its magic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter