• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

'Alice' flops at boxoffice

And that...is a huge mistake. When has "lightening" a movie ever worked?

If it was written with an edge...you can't make it the never ending story...

Not to go too off-topic, but that's my fear for the Suicide Squad movie. My understanding is the studio decided that Batman Vs. Superman underperformed because it was too dark, so they decided to go back and "lighten up" Suicide Squad.

If there's ever a movie that needs that really hard, gritty, dark tone, it's Suicide Squad. Hopefully they don't botch it.

It's like they are doing the opposite in regards to tone for their movies. Superman should have been the quasi-lighthearted contrast to Batman's dark and brooking, and Suicide Squad should stay hard and gritty.
Oh well...

Not to go too off-topic, but that's my fear for the Suicide Squad movie. My understanding is the studio decided that Batman Vs. Superman underperformed because it was too dark, so they decided to go back and "lighten up" Suicide Squad.

If there's ever a movie that needs that really hard, gritty, dark tone, it's Suicide Squad. Hopefully they don't botch it.

It's like they are doing the opposite in regards to tone for their movies. Superman should have been the quasi-lighthearted contrast to Batman's dark and brooking, and Suicide Squad should stay hard and gritty.
Oh well...

Not every movie should be made for an 8 year old...or both genders...for that matter.

No girls liked return of the Jedi on the playground (for us Gen Xers) in 1983...and that was ok.

Because none of us ever forgot it and still spend money on that movie and others to this day. And so do the girls that turned into wives.

That flow works in reverse for dads and daughters too...

I saw someone comment elsewhere that Rogue 1 is being changed with China in mind too. The Star Wars universe apparently hasn't impressed them yet or at least not enough to satisfy Disney.

True or not, it's not a good thing when tons of reshoots are done.

And that...is a huge mistake. When has "lightening" a movie ever worked?

If it was written with an edge...you can't make it the never ending story...
Again lots of speculation. I think the only official line form Disney/Lucas was the Reshoots were always schedule and are normal for films like these. Some say Disney Execs saw the first cut and said change the tone, others report no screening took place. Some say the reshoots are for character development/clarity. Its a bit of a mad house.....especially when you have movies that are heavily focused on by the media, the general public, and has fan base. Everyone has their own theory or agenda.

I think it was a good movie from what i heard but I was watching Xmen and saw parts of Alice while waiting. I think they were stupid to put it out with X-Men. A week before X-men would have been better.

If it had come out this weekend it had a chance to be #1.

Realistically TMNT2 also bombed relatively the same as Alice2 however they still get to say it is the #1 movie of the weekend.

I saw someone comment elsewhere that Rogue 1 is being changed with China in mind too. The Star Wars universe apparently hasn't impressed them yet or at least not enough to satisfy Disney.

Are they adding an Asian-looking character after the fact? Or at least some extras/minor roles. I don't know any other way to "keep China in mind".

I don't mind if they try to appeal to that market, but it's a bit bizarre to only identify it as a priority and then try to fix it after shooting almost the entire film.

Maybe it's just one of those things that happens in a huge conglomerate where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Or it could be that the spreadsheet manipulators are getting desperate for ways to make the projected bottom line "add up".

China is just not "pro-Disney" and they are not gonna be.

The suits in the dwarf palace can't understand it and they can't accept it.

Star Wars is not catching on in China like the west...

You know what they should do?

Forget about China and make movies for the west!!

This is not tough stuff.

Criticize the motley fool all you want...but they wrote some very telling articles about Disney fixation/failures in China and the cultural gap that won't be bridged. Long ago before bob lead them towards the cliff.

Disney tends to treat everyone on earth like "different looking Americans"

They are not. The Japanese spoiled them. The French should have taught them.

I think the speculation on these reshoots has taken on a life o its own at this point. Could be there's a problem or a change being planned but the "rumors" are so inconsistent and so wild I'm not inclined to trust any of them.

Honestly I'm not a big fan of the remakes of all the old movies, let alone the live-versions of the classics. I mean Jungle Book was good, sure, but I have no interest whatsoever in live action remakes of Disney animated classics. (And I'm not a Johnny Depp/Burton fan)The only reason we saw JB is because my son is an animal lover. If you can't come up with something new... then don't bother. There's so many other fairy tales they could still explore for classic Disney movies. Lots of things they can do with Pixar. And I can see trying to grow the adult market but not this way... So no, definitely no desire to see Alice whatsoever.

I guess I don't "get" the Depp and particularly the Depp/Burton thing...at all. I like the PotC movies and other than that, "Rear Window" is the only other Depp movie that I've liked.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape was one I did really like. But that had a more personal appeal to me since my sister is severely Autistic.

We saw it Friday...it wasn't a great movie, but was decent visuals candy...

I'm surprised it flopped so big. I think Disney is actually releasing too many films...

There isn't enough hunger for 2-3 animated, 2 Pixar, 3 marvel, Star Wars, and 3 live actions a year.

They are oversaturating the market

Gotta try and pay for their financial mistakes somehow!

Are they adding an Asian-looking character after the fact? Or at least some extras/minor roles. I don't know any other way to "keep China in mind".

China is very politically sensitive, and a lot of studios are giving China de facto censorship rights in order to get into the Chinese market. For example, Star Wars with rebels battling a massive evil dictatorship may not be viewed positively.

China is very politically sensitive, and a lot of studios are giving China de facto censorship rights in order to get into the Chinese market. For example, Star Wars with rebels battling a massive evil dictatorship may not be viewed positively.

Maybe that explains why the bad guys were so clearly portrayed as Nazis ... in order to pander to China by eliminating the political overtones in episodes IV-VI that associated the evil empire with the USSR and by implication with communism in general.

Maybe that explains why the bad guys were so clearly portrayed as Nazis ... in order to pander to China by eliminating the political overtones in episodes IV-VI that associated the evil empire with the USSR and by implication with communism in general.

Hmm, really never got a communist vibe from the Empire. The Nazi connection always seemed pretty explicit to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter