[ADVISORY] WDW - Touch to Pay Process Changes During System Challenges

Interestingly, given that you can have RFID chips inserted into your pets, and a lot of RFID systems are compatible, it really isn't all that far-fetched to use a kitten for a KTTW card.

Disney's NextNextGen - MagicKittens!

:laughing:

Umm, cats creep me out. Think I could get a puppy instead? pluto:

The heck with dinner, can you imagine coming back to your room with sleepy children and you can't get into your room??????

Um, yes, i can imagine. It happened to my friends years ago at 11 p.m. on their way back from the pool at POR. I got out of bed and let mom and the now cold kids in our room while dad had to go back and forth to the front desk three times before they finally sent someone to the room to let them in. It took an hour for them to get into their room.

So that kind of thing happening would be nothing new to magic bands.

Um, yes, i can imagine. It happened to my friends years ago at 11 p.m. on their way back from the pool at POR. I got out of bed and let mom and the now cold kids in our room while dad had to go back and forth to the front desk three times before they finally sent someone to the room to let them in. It took an hour for them to get into their room.

So that kind of thing happening would be nothing new to magic bands.

Happened to us at BC too....pre magic band days.

And the whole kitten thing....hilarious!!! :rotfl2:

RFID hotel systems have been used for a while, and I really haven't heard of the system breaking down to the point that no one can open the door. And the odds of that aren't any greater really than with the old cards. But the computers that control what MBs/KTTW cards open which rooms is local to the resort. Some functions are more centralized across WDW though.

There are a variety of ways that they can increase reliability as well (replicated databases, data localization, etc.).

This was a really common occurrence in the bad old days when we used the mag-strip cards to unlock our doors. People would put the cards in their wallets, next to their credit cards, and accidentally demagnetize them.

We had to learn the hard way to keep them safely in a separate pocket.

Since the RFID technology is roughly the same between KTTW cards and MBs, I wouldn't expect any different issues from this change. It will likely eliminate the "double-dipping" for some guests though.

I'm much more concerned with the phrase "To prepare for the elimination of" in relation to KTTW cards. I've only been able to wear mine twice do far this week. Once because my brother and SiL were making my nephew wear his (I didn't want to present an opposing example) and once on RnRC. Both times I couldn't wait to take it back off. The RFID system isn't bad, but the forced use of the MBs, I don't really enjoy (don't worry, once I get home on Sunday, they'll hear all about it.)

RFID hotel systems have been used for a while, and I really haven't heard of the system breaking down to the point that no one can open the door. And the odds of that aren't any greater really than with the old cards. But the computers that control what MBs/KTTW cards open which rooms is local to the resort. Some functions are more centralized across WDW though.

There are a variety of ways that they can increase reliability as well (replicated databases, data localization, etc.).

On one of the other million Magic Bands thread, there was discussion of the Magic Bands "going down" at Pop Century. Some people had to be manually let into their rooms.

Maggie

Since the RFID technology is roughly the same between KTTW cards and MBs, I wouldn't expect any different issues from this change. It will likely eliminate the "double-dipping" for some guests though.

I'm much more concerned with the phrase "To prepare for the elimination of" in relation to KTTW cards. I've only been able to wear mine twice do far this week. Once because my brother and SiL were making my nephew wear his (I didn't want to present an opposing example) and once on RnRC. Both times I couldn't wait to take it back off. The RFID system isn't bad, but the forced use of the MBs, I don't really enjoy (don't worry, once I get home on Sunday, they'll hear all about it.)

Agreed. I was under the impression (apparently falsely) that both would be an option since the cards also have the RFID chip. I do NOT want to have to force my 3 yr old to wear it, which I guess means I'll be carrying a bracelet around.

This was a really common occurrence in the bad old days when we used the mag-strip cards to unlock our doors. People would put the cards in their wallets, next to their credit cards, and accidentally demagnetize them. We had to learn the hard way to keep them safely in a separate pocket.

cell phones somehow demagnetize them also

When reading the Pop Century thread, it has been mentioned several times that in the past couple of weeks people have been locked out of their rooms. Back and forth to the front desk when all you and your family wants to do is lay down is not magical at all. One family said it took so long to get it fixed that all the kids fell asleep in the walkway!

I have remained very calm about the whole MB, FP+, FP- stuff. Change is going to happen so no point in fighting it. I just am trying to learn as much information as I can so we will have a great trip! That being said, not giving me a backup key when I ask for one at checkin, them knowing there is a problem at Pop with magic bands not opening room doors, and then being locked out of room and having to trudge back up to the front desk will be my flipping out point. And this will be my husband::furious:

I thought if you have your credit card attached to your magic band, it charges right to your card?? No??

No. You can't currently attach a credit card to the magicband. Everything currently goes through the room reservation, just like before.

When reading the Pop Century thread, it has been mentioned several times that in the past couple of weeks people have been locked out of their rooms. Back and forth to the front desk when all you and your family wants to do is lay down is not magical at all. One family said it took so long to get it fixed that all the kids fell asleep in the walkway!

That's absolutely horrible and unacceptable.

I have remained very calm about the whole MB, FP+, FP- stuff. Change is going to happen so no point in fighting it. I just am trying to learn as much information as I can so we will have a great trip! That being said, not giving me a backup key when I ask for one at checkin, them knowing there is a problem at Pop with magic bands not opening room doors, and then being locked out of room and having to trudge back up to the front desk will be my flipping out point. And this will be my husband::furious:

I hope they get this straightened out before I check into Pop on December 1! :headache:

You know this for sure?

Well, as with anything, things are subject to change, but last I heard, people who already have magicbands and are still using them without room reservations (like AP holders) cannot at this time use "touch to pay", only park admission and FP+.

And I know for sure that at least up until recently, all the charges were sent to the room and appear on the invoice.

They _plan_ to allow touch-to-pay for EVERYONE by having a credit card linked to your DMX profile, but not yet. In fact, I believe you CAN add a credit card already to your DMX profile, but it does not link to the magicbands yet.

If you have any information to make you question this, please let me know.

right now credit card is on MB and you have to add a special code to a hand held thing and being older hard to see. Also need to carry card for TIW and photo ID for any AP discounts... I really and not seeing anything easier. We have not had trouble getting into room but My husband trying to get his wrist just right takes a bit. I know these are going to be used because they spent alot of money so useless to complain. Oh and took a week to get my husband to work at the entrance kiosks finally is for now.

It will be interesting to see if the legacy FP are available longer once the resort guests stop getting the KTTW cards and can double and triple dip. As it is right now there's no way the two systems could co-exist, but if resort guests are prevented from getting FP with their KTTW card and off-site guests and AP holders can get them then maybe they won't get rid of the old system completely. That may result in some of the die hards leaving Disney property and going off-site though.

I've always thought thought magic bands were voluntary. I think a kitten is always an option.

When I read this I thought you meant it as in "Have a kitten", e.g., throw a fit about it.

Thanks for the laugh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter