[ADVISORY] WDW - Touch to Pay Process Changes During System Challenges

The Hub

Friend of Roy Disney
As part of the test-and-adjust process for MyMagic+, some testing related to the elimination of Key to the World cards is scheduled in the coming weeks. Beginning Oct. 27, select participants will use a MagicBand only for touch to enter room, touch to enter park, FastPass+ and touch to pay (a Key to the World card will NOT be issued).

As a result, process changes will take place related to the Guest’s payment experience in the event of device or system outages.

Great October 27th....that's when I check into the Poly...

Wonder if Disney will cutback at the values and mods before the deluxes.

So what happens if you don't have cash?? Or another form of payment and you go to buy dinner. Are you just SOL if it doesn't work?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I would imagine that has to do with the "process changes" referenced.

I would think they would start cutting back on the resort's that started testing first. It wouldn't make sense to pull away anything from resort's that just started testing.

So what happens if you don't have cash?? Or another form of payment and you go to buy dinner. Are you just SOL if it doesn't work?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I would imagine it would be charged back to your room in this scenario. I am sure they'll have a plan in place for this type of thing. Disney isn't about to lose out on the payment of your meal.. there will be a way to recover it.
You'll likely be able to schedule a fastpass+ time to wash dishes or wait tables.;)

I would imagine it would be charged back to your room in this scenario.

Umm...that is what they do when it works... :)

I am sure they'll have a plan in place for this type of thing. Disney isn't about to lose out on the payment of your meal.. there will be a way to recover it.

What I would expect is something akin to how some stores still handle it when things aren't working. They record the information to process later. They take a risk that the information is valid and can be successfully processed - but since Disney controls the MagicBands, they can figure out what credit cards have been linked to them in the past...

Umm...that is what they do when it works... :)

What I would expect is something akin to how some stores still handle it when things aren't working. They record the information to process later. They take a risk that the information is valid and can be successfully processed - but since Disney controls the MagicBands, they can figure out what credit cards have been linked to them in the past...

Which is pretty much what I meant by charging it back to your room.. should have specified.. *later*. There are id #'s on the bands correct? I'm sure they can get the information needed to process the sale later. Or call the resort you are staying at to confirm you are a guest. I think in order to do online check in and get the band, I had to add a credit card or I couldn't do it. So the info is there.
Regardless of how they do it, I have every confidence that Disney will have a way to get their money. That won't be an issue.

As part of the test-and-adjust process for MyMagic+, some testing related to the elimination of Key to the World cards is scheduled in the coming weeks. Beginning Oct. 27, select participants will use a MagicBand only for touch to enter room, touch to enter park, FastPass+ and touch to pay (a Key to the World card will NOT be issued).

As a result, process changes will take place related to the Guest’s payment experience in the event of device or system outages.

/facepalm

Normally, I wouldn't consider kicking a fit on vacation, because there's no use getting upset. But if my MB doesn't work, I WILL be asking for a KTTW card. Let someone else be a guinea pig.

I'm sure there will be some sort of manual intervention process to account for room charges if/when the system is down. In fact, I would bet there already has been one for the KTTW card in case of the same situation.

That being said, if I were going to WDW in the next several weeks and one of the guests who were given only MB and no KTTW, then I would be carrying my credit card with me, just in case. I'd rather just charge the card then risk a potential delay on a manual room charge process.

I've always thought thought magic bands were voluntary. I think a kitten is always an option.

I've always thought thought magic bands were voluntary. I think a kitten is always an option.

Have you ever tried to scan a kitten? They just don't hold still... :)

You are supposed to be able to opt for a KTTW card instead of a band. However, I'd be willing to bet that if you go through the customization process, you're option to opt out has expired.

Have you ever tried to scan a kitten? They just don't hold still... :)

You are supposed to be able to opt for a KTTW card instead of a band. However, I'd be willing to bet that if you go through the customization process, you're option to opt out has expired.

Only if it's a seeing-eye kitten. Pets aren't allowed in the parks. :thumbsup2

I meant key to the world card. Blasted autocorrect. I am laughing so hard right now that tears are streaming down my face. Dh can't figure out what is wrong with me.

The heck with dinner, can you imagine coming back to your room with sleepy children and you can't get into your room??????

The heck with dinner, can you imagine coming back to your room with sleepy children and you can't get into your room??????

RFID hotel systems have been used for a while, and I really haven't heard of the system breaking down to the point that no one can open the door. And the odds of that aren't any greater really than with the old cards. But the computers that control what MBs/KTTW cards open which rooms is local to the resort. Some functions are more centralized across WDW though.

There are a variety of ways that they can increase reliability as well (replicated databases, data localization, etc.).

I meant key to the world card. Blasted autocorrect. I am laughing so hard right now that tears are streaming down my face. Dh can't figure out what is wrong with me.

Interestingly, given that you can have RFID chips inserted into your pets, and a lot of RFID systems are compatible, it really isn't all that far-fetched to use a kitten for a KTTW card.

Disney's NextNextGen - MagicKittens!

:laughing:

Sign me up. Gray with white paws.

And it will let someone know if I have to wait long for a bus, right??

You win the thread so far. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter