• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Abu's AWESOME August 2015 - W.I.S.H. Weight Loss Challenge! Any & All Welcome to Join!

Okay....Happy Friday Everyone! I've had a good food day everyday this week. I weigh in on Monday's now, so I won't know how well I did till then. But....I stuck with my plan. I have a low-calorie snack every night, so I won't feel deprived. I know sometimes it's hard to keep things in the house but having something low calorie available is better than baking a cake because you want to binge or eating chips or something else with five times as many calories. I'm learning to have things around and just have one treat. That is super huge for me to be able to do because this has to be a lifestyle change not a "temporary until I get to the weight I want to be at" thing. Most people do put the weight back on and I've done so over and over again. I have to make this a permanent change. Thanks for all the support and good advice from everyone! It really helps.

I think I forgot to join already this month. My goal is 10lbs. Which I think is reasonable considering I'm down 3 from the first today :)

Wow....that is a lot to lose in one month! Is that your typical expectation?

10lbs is totally doable within one month, and can be done in a healthy way! I lost 10lbs in June. In fact, it's not uncommon at all for people to lose that much in the first month of a new diet & exercise routine as your body tends to lose quickly until it gets used to the new regimen. Good luck @ImpossibleOfMe !!

Hey everyone! Happy Saturday!! We have already been up and doing stuff and I am ready for a nap LOL. Here is your QOTW!

QOTW - August 8 & 9, 2015

image.jpg

According to the list of random holidays, today is "Happiness Happens Day"! So I want to hear about things in your life, memories you have, or plans for your weekend, that make you really happy! Do you have any go-to "little happies"? Do you consider yourself to be a generally happy person?

I bought a 96-pack of crayons this morning and I'm on my way to Bath & Body Works to smell fall candles! Happy, happy, happy!

image.jpg

Last edited:
You and I are in the same boat, friend! I get so focused on my 7lb goal for August that when I remember I really ultimately need to lose about 50lbs, it's such a devastating blow. But, as I realized/remembered last night, I'll never get to 50lbs without getting to the 7lbs first, so I just have to keep focusing on the small obstacle and not let myself get overwhelmed or defeated by the big obstacle. I would give anything to be at my goal now. It makes it so much worse when I know I was at my goal just a couple of years ago, and I blew it. I get SO depressed when I think about it like that. So I just have to stop thinking about it like that! I might have been there 2 years ago, but I'm not there now, and THAT'S what I have to deal with. And if I don't make a substantial change, then even if I get there now, 2 or 3 years from now, I'm likely to be right back in this same position.

The progress you have made so far - being able to walk up stairs without getting winded, being able to walk 2-3 miles with ease, being able to do weights without feeling like your arms are made of jello - all of that is MASSIVE. Regardless of what the scale says, the most important thing is that your body is telling you that you have made a positive difference. That's FANTASTIC! KEEP IT UP!

We will get there eventually! And once we do, we will stay there!!

I will try to answer the QOTD later (I'm a little swamped right now), but I wanted to report a 0.5 lb loss this week - aka 17% of goal (well, 16.67, but I'm rounding up)! It's pretty good progress for my first week, so I'm happy!

Woohoo!

So I'm doing a little bit of experimenting with my plan this weekend. I've been stuck in a plateau for a couple of weeks now, and I got to thinking that, last month, I spent the two weeks leading up to my wedding shower really off my diet because of stress and lack of time to eat really well, especially at dinner time. I put on a little weight that two weeks, going from 209 to 213. Then the day after the shower, we got back onto our diet pretty strictly, and by the end of that week I was at 206, which is where I've been since then. So this weekend, I'm off my diet - not going crazy and eating everything in sight, but eating more carbs than I ordinarily would on my diet. Next week I'll go hard on my diet and exercise and see if there's any progress. Mix things up a little! I think my body's getting used to the lack of carbs so it's not as effective as it was when I first started - which, from the reading I've been doing, is definitely something that happens. Sigh. Why does this have to be such a game!!

My body also seems to respond well to change. It would be so much easier if the simple math worked.

Question of the Day Response -- how far I've gotten:
  • Since March, I have lost just over 20 pounds, but 10 of those pounds have been through WW in the last 30 days! (IT DOES WORK!)

It's more than just weight loss though. It's an overall lifestyle and attitude change. I'm happier and more accepting of myself and I am surrounding myself with people who are supportive of my endeavors. I've been drinking more water and less soda. I've switched to healthier foods and no longer crave sweets or crackers.

For the first time in a long while I am satisfied with my life and happy with the direction in which it is moving.

I think that is more important that the number of pounds lost.

That is awesome! Great job!

So I'm going to go in a bit of a different direction...
Last summer, shortly after I started training for my first runDisney event, I started to keep a journal of all my runs.
The first entry (8/12/14): 1.48 miles in 20 minutes
This week's long run (8/3/15): 5.28 miles in 69 minutes
And this week's long run was a really slow one - lately I've been closer to 5.5 miles. So in less than a year I've been able to add 4 miles to my distance and I can stay out there running for more than 3 times as long as I could last year. There is still progress to be made, but I think that's a big improvement - especially because 5 years ago I thought I could never run.

Yay!

I love this. Sometimes we think of what we're doing as just temporary until the weight comes off, but it's really not - it's a lifelong change. And it's really important to remember that - you may look different at the end, but your actions will be the same.

It could be any of the factors you mentioned, but it could also be that your last weigh in was artificially high for some reason. That happens to me some times - I weigh in down a little one week (or even up a little) and then down a lot the next week, and there was some reason why the first weigh in was higher than it should have been (usually monthly, but occasionally something else) and the weight came off over two weeks, not one.
I think that a lot of people lose a lot early in a new plan and then even out a bit. Give it some time and see what happens.

Yay!

I'm so impressed with your running numbers!

Okay....Happy Friday Everyone! I've had a good food day everyday this week. I weigh in on Monday's now, so I won't know how well I did till then. But....I stuck with my plan. I have a low-calorie snack every night, so I won't feel deprived. I know sometimes it's hard to keep things in the house but having something low calorie available is better than baking a cake because you want to binge or eating chips or something else with five times as many calories. I'm learning to have things around and just have one treat. That is super huge for me to be able to do because this has to be a lifestyle change not a "temporary until I get to the weight I want to be at" thing. Most people do put the weight back on and I've done so over and over again. I have to make this a permanent change. Thanks for all the support and good advice from everyone! It really helps.

Woohoo!

I have walked 25 miles out of the 100. I have done a workout on the in between days and down 1 pound so far. Nighttime eating is still something I am working on.

You are doing great!

10lbs is totally doable within one month, and can be done in a healthy way! I lost 10lbs in June. In fact, it's not uncommon at all for people to lose that much in the first month of a new diet & exercise routine as your body tends to lose quickly until it gets used to the new regimen. Good luck @ImpossibleOfMe !!
Well congratulations! I wish I could lose that much in a month. Five pounds is a big achievement for me. Looking forward to your check in!

Happy Saturday Everyone! I had a rough night last night. I was just so hungry! I just kept saying....think of how good you will feel tomorrow....just resist....resist....think about tomorrow. I finally got up and brushed my teeth...sometimes that helps. Then I went to sleep. And Yahoo! I feel great today! Going for another super strong day. My sweety is coming over today and he can eat more than I can....so I have to adjust his portions and keep mine small. He only had to lose 25 pounds and is at his goal weight. It was easier when we both had to lose. But he is a strong support. Do other folks have help from their spouses or significant others? Are they a help or a hindrance?

According to the list of random holidays, today is "Happiness Happens Day"! So I want to hear about things in your life, memories you have, or plans for your weekend, that make you really happy! Do you have any go-to "little happies"? Do you consider yourself to be a generally happy person?

Friends describe me as a "quirky, perky ball of energy" so I think I'm a generally happy person ;)

We're moving in 3 weeks and I'm on the quest today to find a perfect desk. Pottery Barn sent me a 20% off my entire purchase coupon this morning and that made me really happy and answered my uncertainties of which one to get. Time to do some retail therapy today. Huzzah!

And because we're going to the mall and Ikea to walk around and browse ... it's exercise! Which is putting me closer to my goals and that is even making me more happy.

Friends describe me as a "quirky, perky ball of energy" so I think I'm a generally happy person ;)

We're moving in 3 weeks and I'm on the quest today to find a perfect desk. Pottery Barn sent me a 20% off my entire purchase coupon this morning and that made me really happy and answered my uncertainties of which one to get. Time to do some retail therapy today. Huzzah!

And because we're going to the mall and Ikea to walk around and browse ... it's exercise! Which is putting me closer to my goals and that is even making me more happy.
I'm happy everyday! Even when I'm suffering from hunger....lol! I'm cleaning today, getting ready for a luncheon I am hosting next week for retired coworkers! Really looking forward to that. We have such a nice time together....catching up on life after work.

Morning everyone! Just a reminder that updates are due today if you haven't already done one! I'll hopefully get the list updated tonight with everyone's week one results!

My Goal for August: Lose 8 Pounds

Plan to Get there:
- Walk a minimum of 7500 steps per day
- Eat only my activity points on Weight Watchers -- I must earn to eat
- Go to Disneyland 1 day per week minimum and not snack on the yummies. For every 5,000 steps walked, I get to ride one ride.

Week 1 Results:

Pounds lost: 2.5
Pounds left: 5.5

Plan Progress:
- Steps (despite the one day that I missed my daily goal of 7500, I'm well above and beyond the averages per day!):
Sunday: 9305
Monday: 8380
Tuesday: 8576
Wednesday: 8156
Thursday: 17529 (DISNEYLAND!)
Friday: 5507
Saturday 12608​
- Earned 25 activity points, only ate 10 of them
- Made it to Disneyland. Walked 10K steps while there and rode two rides as reward -- Little Mermaid in CA Adventure and Pirates in Disneyland.

I would consider Week 1 an amazing success. Crossing fingers for a successful week 2!

WEEK ONE RESULTS

@JacknSally - 11.4%
@JennysSeven - 82%
@IHeartDale -
@DisPup75 - 14.5%
@SarahDisney - 17%
@dsnyfn1022 - 25%
@Connie96 -
@budz211 -
@Keithsmomma - 19.4%
@ohMom -
@LadyRayado -
@alrushton -
@bigsis1970 -
@Rose&Mike -
@pjlla -
@courtneybeth - 31%
@ThistleMae - 84%
@ImpossibleOfMe -

OK, everyone! Here are the results from week one! If there's not a number next to your name, that's because I didn't see your update in the thread this weekend! Get those numbers to me ASAP and I'll get them added :) Please let me know if there's anyone I missed!

Last edited:

Am I a happy person? Not so much. I'm more a black hole of angry, although I occasionally pop out of angry for a few seconds just for a change of pace.
But I'm trying to be a happier person, mostly by smiling through all the garbage (or at least trying) and trying to act like I'm happy or optimistic, even if that's not how I feel. I'm hoping that if I can learn to act happy more often, the actually happiness will come eventually.
Disney helps ... Disneyland is my happy place, with Disney World as a close second. I really become a totally different person when around Disney stuff, which is why I immerse myself in the Disney magic as much and as often as I can.

Morning everyone! Just a reminder that updates are due today if you haven't already done one! I'll hopefully get the list updated tonight with everyone's week one results!
Okay, not sure how to report to you. Do I just do it in this thread, here, or send you a private message? Let me know. But until I figure it out, I've lost 4.2 pounds this week. My goal for the month is 5 pounds! I'm super excited that I've done so well this week. Planning for a big finish!

Week 1 Results:

Pounds lost: 2.5
Pounds left: 5.5

Plan Progress:
- Steps (despite the one day that I missed my daily goal of 7500, I'm well above and beyond the averages per day!):
Sunday: 9305
Monday: 8380
Tuesday: 8576
Wednesday: 8156
Thursday: 17529 (DISNEYLAND!)
Friday: 5507
Saturday 12608​
- Earned 25 activity points, only ate 10 of them
- Made it to Disneyland. Walked 10K steps while there and rode two rides as reward -- Little Mermaid in CA Adventure and Pirates in Disneyland.

I would consider Week 1 an amazing success. Crossing fingers for a successful week 2!
Awesome! Congrats! Keep going, you're doing great!

Morning, losers! Hopefully happy Mondays are in store for everyone. Here in Memphis, it's 7:45am, we've had severe thunderstorms all morning (our power has already flickered off twice), and our heat index is supposed to hit 107 before noon. 43 days 'til the first day of autumn!

So how are we all feeling after our first week results? Is anyone re-evaluating their plans or their goals for August?

QOTD - August 10, 2015:

If you are unhappy with your results last week, what, if anything, will you do differently this week? If you're happy with your results, will you change anything for the week ahead?

Bonus QOTD:

How is everyone feeling about the "live more simply" changes made last Monday? Any noticeable improvements from them??

282395_198984576900090_1729068433_n.jpg
*Disclaimer - I've never read the blog tagged at the bottom of this graphic, and have no affiliation with it. I just did a google search and liked this one!

Okay, not sure how to report to you. Do I just do it in this thread, here, or send you a private message? Let me know. But until I figure it out, I've lost 4.2 pounds this week. My goal for the month is 5 pounds! I'm super excited that I've done so well this week. Planning for a big finish!

Congratulations on your loss! Yes, just posting your results here is fine. Stay strong and keep doing what you're doing - 4.2lbs is fantastic! By my calculations, that puts you at 84% of your goal for the month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter