ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

1) They drive incredibly fast here- which is appropriate for being the home of the Corvette.

Note to self: Visit SOKY.

2) They take their comfort food very seriously. (Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, Logans, Whits)

Note to self: No, really. Visit SOKY.

3) I need this accent when I pack up and go home; it's just too stinkin' great!

:laughing:

4) The weather is better here than in Oregon. But then again, pretty much anywhere has better weather than Oregon.

:rolleyes2

I'm pretty sure the Indians would have won if that had happened.

That's pretty much what he said, too.

I still need to get my answer in, I haven't turned on my computer in over 5 days! Hopefully tomorrow....

It may only be 6:45, but this chick is a special kind of tired. The good news is that I have the next 3 days off to futz around, clean my house, and upgrade our culinary fare from Burger King and Chili Mac. My insides just can't take it anymore. The hope is that a goodly amount of DISWork can get done too, including replies and an update. Not to mention a massive catch up session on y'all's threads. I have really missed you'ns!!

It may only be 6:45, but this chick is a special kind of tired. The good news is that I have the next 3 days off to futz around, clean my house, and upgrade our culinary fare from Burger King and Chili Mac. My insides just can't take it anymore. The hope is that a goodly amount of DISWork can get done too, including replies and an update. Not to mention a massive catch up session on y'all's threads. I have really missed you'ns!!

Well then get to bed. Get a good little snooze and come back rarin' to go.

I just sent you my PM on the picture. I need the same thing, a few days to catch up on the DIS. I don't think I'm going to get that. I have a feeling that tomorrow Fran is going to be kicking my butt into doing things other than sitting around catching up on TRs!

Somehow I missed this part in the original explanation! A little late now, of course, and I guess I was actually somewhat close to your score. I guess we will find out. Eventually. But I think I won't have much luck with the photos.

I wouldn't worry too much at all! Queen's successes were all over the board, so you may be surprised in the end.

I'm so sorry Zach is sick. By now you are there, so maybe he will perk up tomorrow. Hope you can have a goid time. I know this weekend will be a challenge with the outlaws snyway.

I'm liking this contest so far! :cool1:

He was so sick for about 12 hours. The meds were the only thing that enabled us to fly at all.

We had a great time for the most part. A full update coming up shortly.... We really didn't even see much of the in-laws; they are good people, but we don't get to see my sisters and their families very often, so spent my energy talking to them. We also have some very dear friends who moved from OR to TN, so spent the most time hanging out with them.

You are doing very well at the Contest so far, but as you'll see, Queen Steppe's successes were all over the board! So you'll have to hang in there til the end to see how you really ended up doing...

I did see the story of him whining to throw out the first pitch of a WS game dressed as his character from Major League.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Sometimes the fact that we don't have TV makes us look like colossal morons in the pop culture dept.

And that would have been awesome.

I'm pretty sure the Indians would have won if that had happened.

giphy.gif

Maybe he should have somehow been at the Eagles/Giants game yesterday....

So I guess that means Zach isn't getting behind the wheel?

That would be a definitive NO!

I knew it. You guys are just like state workers.

:rotfl2:

OK just checking on to say I've read the chapter and the chatter and I'm glad you all made it to SOKY safe and sound. I hope the wedding goes well, and I'm probably not going to be able to make a lot of comment on the update as I noticed that three more folks have posted updates since I left on my little trip.
Unlike a Disney trip where I am in control of my schedule, we are at the mercy of others and I don't have the luxury of sleeping in and making my own schedule.it wasn't my idea of fun to spend a two hour rehearsal at 8AM standing up for the entire time, and we have a three hour rehearsal coming up, and a half an hour performance tonight (also standing) :faint:
I'll try to take another look at the picture and send you a PM with my guess.

Wedding was very nice. A bit of a WAY TOO long gap between Ceremony and Reception, but all-in-all very nice.

That sounds like an awful rehearsal! Standing?! WOW! Yeah, there are probably some updates that I'm not going to be able to really heavily comment on either; just too much time. But, like you, I am reading and enjoying, and will do my best.

Got your guess... results coming soon...

Oh man, I'm so glad he is on the mend. I can't stand vomit...especially when travelling, that is just the absolute worst.

He was actually almost completely normal by Friday morning. But that was just awful! As he puked into the garbage can at the check-in curb, it was just about as bad as it could possibly be. Glad I forced him to go, but it was not a fun day.

If it helps at all, I assure you this is most of the south, not just Kentucky! I was raised on southern comfort food, it's a matter of pride in most places. (Hence my rather large waist line!)

Oh, I definitely agree! The South is full of carbs and fried food. It's yummy to me for a few days, but my system needs a fresher, more fruits and veggies kind of menu or I start to feel icky. I think it all comes down to what we grew up with or have become used to.

So understand the trip up the aisle to the little girls room. Not like everyone knows where you're going. I of course had to make one trip each flight. I haven't flown since forever, so I walked to the front of the plane and couldn't find the "12 inch door"! :confused3Thank goodness the people in the first rows started to point it out to me. I was looking on the wrong side of the cabin door:headache:. So on the return flight home I at least knew where to look. As soon as the seatbelt light went off, I was the first one up and headed up there. what? It's occupied? So do I wait (they said,no loitering on a plane )? I couldn't figure out who got there first....till the flight attendant came out!

I only made one trip up the aisle on each flight this time! Pretty sure that's a record!

And if it makes you feel any better, the bathrooms are not always in the exact same spot on every plane. I went on the 2nd leg to the back, and they were NOT located where they had been on leg #1. The flight guy also had to show me where they were. And I've flown WAY too much the last year! I hate that new rule. Every time someone goes in I watch the door and plan to go as soon as the light goes off, but as SOON as I stand up, there's already someone who beats me to it. Totally sucks!

Glad your time in Chicago wasn't too bad. Even though we live in IL, we were so glad not to have to go to O'Hare. Chicago and Milwaukee are about the same distant from us 1 1/2 - 2 hours. But the drive to Milw. and its airport is SO much more easily manageable. To avoid driving we would have had to take a bus shuttle into O'Hare which runs all the time and rely on that schedule....No thanks! Also it was nice that we could get direct flight out of Milw. too.

Nice! Direct flights are so nice. We don't have any directs out of PDX except to close places like LAX or SFO or something. Anything east of here is at least 2 legs, a bit of a pain that makes for a long day. I would be with you, Milwaukee over O'Hare any day of the week.

Poor Zach! How awful to be so sick before a flight and a long travel day. So glad that by the end of the day he seemed to be better and hopefully enjoyed the weekend with everyone.

PTL!!! He never puked on the plane which was so great! He ended up sleeping on both flights, which was a very best case scenario.

Congratulations to your son and his new wife. Congrats to you for a new DIL and the growing of your family. Hope they have a great time together on (wow!) a 3 week honeymoon.

I"m sure they will! Their plan is to fly into Seattle and go north to Vancouver, then all the way down the West Coast ending in San Diego where he will fly out of. She will join him sometime before Christmas.

So...I can't remember...Is he stationed in Guam now or going to be stationed there after honeymoon? I know you plan on visiting them sometime, how long will they be there?

He has been stationed in Guam for about 4 months and his total time there will be about 3 years. So plenty of time to get a house and settle in. Yes, about this time next year, we'd like to visit over there.

Hope your return trip home is good. I'll going in say I hope it's just BORING, that would be a change of pace for you!

It was finally a very boring and routine travel day. Which after all that led up to that day was good.

Wow 65 points..ooops ...too high:confused:?..doesn't sound as good as it may look :upsidedow

Hang in there; there are surprises coming....

Enjoy your week.
I have a short one. Only mon-wed. Friday is my day off, but because it's a Holiday, TH is then my designated Holiday. So I have TH, FR off and took Sat as a vacation day. So work 3, off 4!

I only work Thursday and Friday, so a short week for me too. :) Today, is laundry, cleaning the kitchen and bathroom and some EBay work.

Note to self: No, really. Visit SOKY.

I do think you'd enjoy it. There are some really fun things to do there! The best of which is to visit the Corvette Factory and Museum for tours.

I still need to get my answer in, I haven't turned on my computer in over 5 days! Hopefully tomorrow....

I totally know the feeling.

Is it worth it for me to guess pictures when I'm not in the other contest?

At the very least it would be a fun challenge to see how many places you can ID. And remember, I did say it'd be worth it for ANYONE who joins in ! ;)

Well, then, thank goodness Charlie Sheen didn't get to do it! 108 years, baby!

So happy for your Cubby fans! What a great feeling that must be! (And a nice diversion from all the political crap going on right now.)

Well then get to bed. Get a good little snooze and come back rarin' to go.

I slept a solid 10 hours and it felt soooooooooooo good! Now, I will DIS in between loads of laundry and the dreaded bathroom cleaning.

I just sent you my PM on the picture. I need the same thing, a few days to catch up on the DIS. I don't think I'm going to get that. I have a feeling that tomorrow Fran is going to be kicking my butt into doing things other than sitting around catching up on TRs!

Got it!

Make a deal with her; a little DISTime for every hour of good, honest hard work that gets done. ;)

Make a deal with her; a little DISTime for every hour of good, honest hard work that gets done. ;)

Ha! There aren't enough hours in the day for that, maybe if I tried a 15 minutes for an hour deal, but even that is iffy. Why do you think I get in so much time while she's asleep! Either that or when I'm on my phone running errands. I waste so much time in parking lots DISing before I go in stores, after doctor appointments, etc. :rotfl2:

Ha! There aren't enough hours in the day for that, maybe if I tried a 15 minutes for an hour deal, but even that is iffy. Why do you think I get in so much time while she's asleep! Either that or when I'm on my phone running errands. I waste so much time in parking lots DISing before I go in stores, after doctor appointments, etc. :rotfl2:

Yeah, I was actually thinking the 15 for an hour deal. It's a hot one, get it while you can! LOL! I tidied my bedroom and folded and put away the backed up loads, so am going to start typing the update. After half an hour, Imma tackle my kitchen. Then hit up folks' TRs. Then it has to be the bathroom. UGH!

A is for: Arrival and Annoyance

Steppe's Royal Carriage, although slow, was beautiful!

It is a proven fact that the longest one-way trip to anywhere is the trip to your home resort from MCO.

A corollary to that is that Disney has a year-round construction season every year.

It is also Disney-Law that your resort will be the last one on the ME route. Because there are only a few select individuals that can defy Disney Transportation Law, we finally arrived at AoA at 2:15- after the drop off for POP, starving, edging on grumpy, sleep-deprived, and ready to be in a room... a full hour and a half after landing.

But it was pretty and seeing these gave us a surge of happiness and excitement!

Although we'd already checked in online, I stopped in the check-in lines to take care of some business. Because Mike was only going to be in AoA for one night, Brook told us we needed to "add him as a Day Guest"- this, in order to avoid a 3rd Adult charge for the entire stay. In doing that: A) He could utilize ME, B) We'd only be charged the extra adult fee for the one night he'd be there, and C) it would activate his MB for the room door. After that business was taken care of, I did inquire about our room status and was told "no dice". We had gotten a text when we landed, but almost 2 hours had passed since then, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Our request had been entered though, and it looked like they were doing their best to honor it.

But... perhaps more than necessary....

I did have the foresight to pack essentials for swimming in carry-ons, but eating trumps swimming any day of the year. It was time to check out the legendary Landscapes of Flavor; indeed an overwhelming myriad of choices tantalized our palettes. There were 3 of them (palettes that is), but Momma's palette overrides teenage palettes 100% of the time. They are happy with ramen so when it comes to "food"- the lowest common denominator never wins.

I had heard good things about the Make-Your-Own Pasta Bar, so chose to go with that. It was filling and tasty, and those were the primary goals at this point in time. To allow the kids some ownership and involvement, I let Anara choose the type of pasta (there were 3 choices). Zach chose Alfredo Sauce over Marinara and Pesto, and since Anara hates shrimp, we went with chicken. I got to choose the veggie add-ins, and decided on sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts (?), spinach, and onions. After a quick flash saute, reminiscent of the hospital cafeteria, an ample serving of Alfredo Bowties with a piece of Garlic Toast on the side and 3 free waters were carried outside to eat poolside. It satisfied all of us for about $13 and got us through until dinner.

That was at 2:30. So it didn't take long to hit up Reception, AND order lunch!

It also didn't take long to decimate it, and we were finished up by 3:00, including a few minutes to just sit and soak it in. Wanna see our view??

How delicious is THAT?! The playlist piped out a few oldies from the Beach Boys, and some newer stuff from Lion King and other Pixars; it all added to the general atmosphere of fun. Since we still hadn't gotten a text from AoA about our room, we had a bit of time to kill. We trudged around the corner to luggage services and stashed our carry-on junk, then did what all dutiful Disney tourists do- we toddled off to the Crap Store (the term we'd use for every single gift shop during the entire trip)... then quickly realized we were about 3 million dollars short for this trip.

We did the requisite oohing and ahhing, hung our heads in insufficient-funds-shame, then decided to sit by the pool and wait. It was at that point we were about to learn a valuable touring lesson. On the way to the pool, I decided I'd go to the Check-In Desks one more time and see if our room was close so we could make some decisions about what to do next. I told them, I'd go back and find them in the pool area when I was done. The Receptionist CM was very nice and while she did say our room wasn't ready, the room right next door was. I wasn't really sure how to react to that because it had probably been ready for HOURS. Why didn't they at least offer that room (#7537) at 2:15? Honestly, the room on the exact corner wasn't worth waiting 2.5 extra hours for. On the other hand, I was happy to finally have a place to call home. My luggage had hoped for the same exhilaration, but we'll get to that in a moment....

I went and hauled off to the BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG Blue Pool that covers approximately 3 zip codes and all of Orange County to find the kids and circled around twice (in the high heels that I now decided to loathe with every fiber of my being). I was bordering on getting blisters long before this vacation got off its feet. About halfway around the pool the 2nd time, my attitude took a decided nose dive. I didn't see them and decided they'd gone off to explore, so left somewhat perturbed for the room grumbling mild profanities in exasperated, hushed tones. This was after I'd tried to call them multiple times, mind you. My phone was now dying and I just didn't have the energy to trek the vast expanse of the resort back to Luggage Services for my carry-on with my phone charger.

Outside the room, the Greeter gave me the same stink eye I was about to give my kids:

Once in the room, having passed Andromeda and the Milky Way to get there, I quickly phoned Luggage Services and they told me they'd send everything, including the Garden Grocer order over right away. "Cool! See you soon!"

I texted the kids where our room was and waited for our stuff. After waiting 20 minutes or so for them, I called and they then informed me they were lost.

Excellent. :rolleyes:

I coached them a bit on how to find it, and then called Luggage again.

"We just delivered it"

"Uhhhh, I'm in the room. My bags aren't"

"I'm sorry, Ma'am. What is your room number?"

"2537"

"Oh, you were assigned 2539; we took them there. Sorry for the confusion; we'll bring them right now."

Excellent.

10 minutes later, both my kids and the carry-ons showed up.

Wait, hang on! Where's our checked stuff?!

I called again, and they told me it was just arriving from MCO and that they'd bring it over very soon.

Meantime, I got busy decorating the windows and they looked rather fabulous, if I do say so myself.

The orange and purple lights were incredibly fun to come "home" to each evening!! I apologize for the blurry door photo, I was definitely in a hurry as we raced out to catch the bus to The Springs.

Seriously, I was really, really cranky at the kids and myself. To be fair, none of us had slept in approximately 36 hours and it was definitely catching up with us. In my pissy mood, partially due to the fact that the kids were blaming me for the mix up, at that point we needed to set down some Trip Ground Rules.

Rule #1: Never, EVER part ways without a solid, fool-proof, concrete plan with an EXACT meeting place. Ever.
Rule #2: Do NOT turn off your ringer unless you are on a ride.
Rule #3: Keep your auxiliary phone charger on your person at all times.

Lessons learned.

It was now 4:50 and we really needed to shower and get ready for dinner; at this point we were cutting it close for our 6:00 ADR. I called again for our luggage and they said, "That's been delivered, Ma'am."

....here we go again... :rolleyes2

"I'm sorry, I'm sitting in 7537, and it's definitely not here.'

(This time I was quick on the draw) "Did you by chance take it to 7539?"

"Oh yes. That's not your room?"

"No, we were switched after arrival. I really need my underwear. Can you send someone to bring it (and my bags) next door?"

"Sure, no problem!"

At 5:15, we'd all showered, but still no luggage. I wasn't going to call again, because by then it was too late to wait around anymore. You see, I'd already changed into the only fresh skivvies I'd brought back in Olympia before heading to SeaTac. I did have a set of fresh clothes, so got those on, but I was fresh out of fresh. It was either dirty undies or none, so I made the only choice I could: I set off for The Springs Commando-style. No better way than to start off a trip than by laughing as hard as you can with a new Disney friend about your underwear, right @addictedtothemouse ??

Now, I know you're all anxious for a few AoA photos, and yes I did take some of the resort as I wandered through to our section. But first a few of the virgin, non-trashed room we, errr, I mean I, opened the door to:

(Peek-a-boo!)

(It's those Disney details that slay me every time!)

Next up: A Photo Tour of AoA

Last edited:
OMG this made me laugh. It's kind of hilarious that they can not communicate the room change....several times over. Ugh. I hope you finally got your underwear lol On the upside...that pasta looked pretty good!!

A corollary to that is that Disney has a year-round construction season every year.
It's been many years since I have seen the word corollary used :laughing:

I had heard good things about the Make-Your-Own Pasta Bar, so chose to go with that.
I had it a few times at AoA and found it good. Interestingly, I tried it at POR and did not enjoy it. Strange since it's pretty much the same offering.

The orange and purple lights were incredibly fun to come "home" to each evening!! I apologize for the blurry door photo, I was definitely in a hurry as we raced out to catch the bus to The Springs.
Love the decorating job. And the guest book on the door is a great idea. Did you get many signatures?

OMG this made me laugh. It's kind of hilarious that they can not communicate the room change....several times over. Ugh. I hope you finally got your underwear lol On the upside...that pasta looked pretty good!!

Hey Kathy! I was wondering where all my playmates went. I posted this forever ago, and started to 2nd guess whether I'd pushed submit. LOL!

It did give me time though to catch up on all the other threads I'm on. :)

It is hilarious now. Then... not so much. I did, but ran out towards the end of the trip. And I'd planned so carefully AND did a load of laundry along the way. OY!

The pasta was actually pretty yummy and did hit the spot. One order, even for a regular mealtime dinner would have been WAY too much for one of us. Had it been our main meal and we weren't headed to Raglan, we'd have gotten 2 and that would have been plenty for us light eaters.

OH hey, Jeff, I was wondering when you'd wander back. Great to see you again!

It's been many years since I have seen the word corollary used :laughing:

Super useful word, even outside of geometry.

I had it a few times at AoA and found it good. Interestingly, I tried it at POR and did not enjoy it. Strange since it's pretty much the same offering.

That stinks since it's pretty hard to mess up a plate of noodles. Too salty? Too...? Not enough...?

Love the decorating job. And the guest book on the door is a great idea. Did you get many signatures?

It was fun to put together. :) Sadly, the Guest Book ended up having a few "malfunctions".

1) We were in literally the furthest room away from anywhere in the entire resort. NO ONE had to pass our room unless they were simply... .lost. So, I do know that at least one group was hopelessly wandering around probably wondering how the heck they ended up halfway to POP instead of the bus stop.

2) It was pretty windy on the first evening and my Guest Book was blown to smithereens. I found Ursula clinging desperately to one Mickey head threatening to put his squeaky voice in a bottle. That was in the next zip code over....

3) I forgot a suction hooker thingy and the whole "bouquet" simply would NOT stay on the door handle.

But the few that I did get were uber cool. I'll get to that shortly. Your short answer is "a few".

OH hey, Jeff, I was wondering when you'd wander back. Great to see you again!
Good to be here! I think I missed an update somewhere along the way.

That stinks since it's pretty hard to mess up a plate of noodles. Too salty? Too...? Not enough...?
POR the alfredo sauce seemed watered down, very thin, and a bit bland. I had chicken in one pasta dish and while some was good quality (white meat), a lot was bits of dried up dark meat and cartilage. I have nothing against dark meat, but not in an alfredo pasta.

Good to be here! I think I missed an update somewhere along the way.

POR the alfredo sauce seemed watered down, very thin, and a bit bland. I had chicken in one pasta dish and while some was good quality (white meat), a lot was bits of dried up dark meat and cartilage. I have nothing against dark meat, but not in an alfredo pasta.

The TOC is on page 1. Finally figured out to to link the right way. (If that helps)

Yeah, Ewwww! Alfredo has to be thickened, but def not gloppy. As for dark meat in an alfredo dish? Just no! It has it's place, but not in that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter