• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Make A Wish Trip - Final Update!! Pg. 33

Wendy, Your family is so amazing. Thank you for spending the time to share your trip with us. I will never look at Peter Pan the same way again! The love you have for your children is so touchingly apparent in your writing. And let me tell you and any other future Give Kids guests, It is an honor to wait in line longer so your child can get the most Disney Magic out of every moment. Please take your time:flower3: Subbing for future chapters:thumbsup2

Welcome back and thanks for the update on Michael's surgery. We pray for the best.

Looking forward to your next update...

Glad to see you back on. We will be praying for Michaels surgery. will be waiting popcorn:: for the next update!

Thank you to the both of you. :hug:

Wendy, Your family is so amazing. Thank you for spending the time to share your trip with us. I will never look at Peter Pan the same way again! The love you have for your children is so touchingly apparent in your writing. And let me tell you and any other future Give Kids guests, It is an honor to wait in line longer so your child can get the most Disney Magic out of every moment. Please take your time:flower3: Subbing for future chapters:thumbsup2

Thank you for your comments. Later in the report I was going to mention this but it fits here. We were at GKTW and doing a carriage ride. One of the family's piped up that they felt guilty for getting "front of the line access". The family consisted of mom and dad, 13 year old daughter and two five year old sons with severe cerebal palsy and a variety of other illnesses, both in wheelchairs and both with life threatening illnesses. They mentioned that they would get comments and stares occasionally when they were waved onto rides. I was lucky that I never noticed any people like that but I was in my own little world. :laughing: Anyway, I told them not to feel bad because I would give anything to wait in line if I could have a lifetime with my son and I know they would too. We go on these trips knowing this may be our last and sometimes only trip with our children. Letting us, who live our lives with people staring at us, know that you don't mind waiting in line makes things just a bit more magical for us. As being able to ride Peter Pan over and over again made my son's day and if he were to leave us tomorrow, the joy in his eyes while at Disney will never be forgotten.

Now I have tears in my eyes. Your comment really touched me. I appreciate your comments more than you'll ever be able to know. Thank you.

Oh Wendy! I finally got over here to read your TR. How BEAUTIFUL! I am so happy for all of you - the joy in Michael's face when he saw Peter Pan! Just priceless.

My heart goes out to you and Mick - watching my sister go through her daughter's illness makes me really appreciate your story. Her daughter is too ill and unaware to make a trip, but they had a bit of a "wish trip" while we were in WDW.. she and her husband took their two older children when someone from church donated their timeshare for the week. My parents stayed with my niece for the week (mom's a nurse, as is my sister). We met up with them for a Magic Kingdom day and the seven of us had a great time. It was very special for my niece & nephew... they are so good with their ill sister, but they deserved a chance to have some fun, too. It took a lot for my sister to leave for the week, but I know she's happy she did so they had some "family time" with the older two.

Hope the surgery gets scheduled soon - must be so difficult to have those things not "settled"....

Renée

Wendy just wanted to let you know that you have a reader in my DS(ryan), he has been reading your TR right beside me through out. He loves the TR also.
I just loved how Peter Pan interacted with Micheal thru the day. It was truley a Magical Momment for Micheal and your family.

Wendy:

I get the impression from other posts that you have found new possibilities for medical providers. My prayers are with you and Mick as you search out and find what is best for Michael. I hope that there is good news ahead for your family, and that last week was a positive one for you. I am looking forward to hearing more of your story. Our family will be at GKTW two weeks from now. I am excited but still a little apprehensive about it all. Thanks for putting your story out there to make the way for other families.

Your TR is incredible. I cannot say that I can understand your plight as a parent, but as someone who is a teacher to children who are moderately to severely disabled, I can most certainly relate.

What you said about giving up any and all things just to have your son with you for a lifetime was heart wrenching. Just know that none of us here on Earth are promised another day. I don't say that to be down...I say it so people realize how special each day is.

Dealing with disabilities is not an easy issue, God most certainly picks special parents to deal with that monumental task. I look at my students and am amazed every day at how hard they work just to surive.

I am so glad your little boy got his wish. I wish him many many more to come.

Thank you all for your comments. We have gotten some news regarding a possible surgery for Michael that may work. We are awaiting more news from the plastic surgery. I have a bit of my hands full getting settled in and helping my sister settle in but I will be back soon since I have all the pictures finally up...except for the photopass pics. Can't wait to see those!

Thanks for keeping with me!

This is a beautiful TR & I can't wait to read more. I am so touched by this & I am so glad your family had such a magical time. I completely agree with the other poster & with what you said as well---just to know that a family like your's is getting such a special dose of pixie dust---that helps make my vacation more magical--seeing you get on to a ride, or special seats, or whatever it may be. That makes me happy for you & makes me remember to be thankful for all of the blessings that I have too.

Can't wait for the next installment--I just have to make sure I have tissues by the computer. Thank you for sharing.

i don't know how you find the time to do this trip report but thank you!!

it brings a smile to my face. i am a nurse at childrens hospital in philadelphia and we have had several of our kids do a make a wish to disney and it is nice to see the results. i am so happy you have these memories. i wish you many more years of memories with your son.:flower3:

As we walked by Pirates of the Carribean, Peter Pan and Wendy were doing a meet and greet. We didn't see them, but they saw us. Peter yelled, "Hey Michael, wait a minute. I'm almost done." They closed the line and in between kids, Peter chatted with Michael. Michael got excited and when the line was gone, Peter, Wendy (character, not wife), Michael and Danae all played tag, hide and go seek, and just talked.
108_108.jpg

113_113.jpg

Peter asked Michael if he wanted to fly (rhetorical question) and lifted him up onto a windowsill then jumped up for a photo.
117_117.jpg

Michael's feather fell out of his hat and he started to get that 'I'm going to melt down' look in his face. But Peter jumped up onto the bars to the Pirates of the Carribean store and yelled for them to bring him a feather.
125_125.jpg

Peter put the feather into Michael's cap.
127_127.jpg

They leave. Wendy and I break down and cry. It was perfect.

And more...

I just found your report, and I am in TEARS!!!! What a wonderfully fun filled magical WISH come true!!!!

What an absolutly perfect day! Crying happy tears here for all of you.

Thank you for sharing this amazing experience with us all.

Thank you so much for all the comments! I so appreciate my readers.

Mick was a little short on this day. Sorry. He is reading the TRs every now and again so perhaps he will jump in and flush out his story with his usual humour.

Tuesday:
Animal Kingdom:
Safari: Baby giraffe stops the bus by standing in the middle of the road.

018_18_00.jpg

Lion King Show: Michael gets to take part in the show by running around the stage shaking a rattle to one of the songs.

057_57_00.jpg

MGM: Lunch with Leo and June from Little Einsteins, Jojo, Goliath and something else was there as well.

079_79_00.jpg

070_70_00.jpg

088_88_00.jpg

073_73_00.jpg

(there was no something else)

Michael got to meet Lightning McQueen and Mater from the Cars movie.

103_103_00.jpg

105_105_00.jpg

Back to the villa for Pirates and Princess night. There were 1000 volunteers to make this event happen at the village. (that's right, one thousand volunteers). Michael decided he would rather ride the train so he and 10 volunteers rode the train while they talked with him about his time in Florida. Eventually, he decided he would become a pirate, got loads of pirate stuff and got introduced. Each kid got so much pirate or princess stuff it wasn't even funny. Danae got her face painted, a beautiful tiara, and a magic wand. Great time. Ordered Pizza.

(believe it or not, I have two pictures of this event. TWO! I forgot my camera at the villa but we were having so much fun, I didn't even want to go back to get it or Danae's princess dress!. We had a blast but for those of you going to GKTW, DON'T FORGET YOUR CAMERA! EVER!).

I hope to get on sometime this week and write a complete Trip Report. Including a full account of that princess and pirate party.

Yeah...more TR:goodvibes . Very cool to have a personal visit by the baby giraffe. Michael's smile at the JoJo's circus event seems to be just as big as it was with Peter Pan. Danae is beaming too! Love the little sunflower jumper! My little girl isn't little anymore and boy's clothes just aren't as fun. Did your MIL make that too? Adorable!

Alright. I have tried and tried to do this day and it has not worked. I will do what I can with the minute I have. If all goes well, this will be Tuesday morning and AK.

So Tuesday morning we wake up. Exhausted from the fun filled day we had yesterday. Night before, as I did laundry (right there in the villa. we had laundry detergent available to us, powder, tide, I believe and fabric softener) I realized at some point Michael's Make A Wish pin was lost. So we get up and Mick goes off to request a new pin. I feed the kids bday cake while they watch tv and I get a shower in. Mick arrives and states that it will be a little bit. We decide to get ready and to drive around to the front and go to breakfast. This time we have everything and we go.

The staff had told Mick the day prior that they prefer that we don't go out to get breakfast at the restaurant and bring it back as the volunteers like to see the kids. We do have the option of curbside continental brought to us. We chose to go to the restaurant. Continental bfast availabe at 730 am with a hot bfast at 8am. It is 730 so we go in, grab cereal and milk and a banana to go. That's about all they have for continental. We could have also stopped at the Walmart, which is literally on the main corner to the resort on the way to and from the attractions, for bfast items to bring back to the villa but since this is the last day we are expecting to get up this early, we opt not to.

Here is the inside of the Gingerbread house where we did breakfast
0580GingerbreadHouseRestaurant.jpg

Of course, its hard to convince the kids not to stop at the Ice Cream shop so we have a quick ice cream. I have a banana split. Yum! We also make a pit stop at the front desk rocking horses and other toys.

Finally the pin is picked up and off we go to AK!

Drive to AK is uneventful and when we arrive, I take Michael to the left for Guest Services for a "Stroller as a Wheelchair" sticker and Mick gets in line for a Stroller as the line is long. Michael and I meet Danae and Mick in line and soon after get a double stroller. Yay!
001_1_00.jpg

As you can tell in this pic if you look at Danae's hair, the blue goop hasn't come off.
002_2_00.jpg

BTW, those pics are taken in the parking lot. Before we get going every day, I take a pic of the kids with what they are wearing in case they get lost.

We are here for two things and only two things. Kiliminjaro Safaris and Lion King. The kids are already exhausted and its hot. So off we hurry.

With only a quick look at the tree. Kids are not interested.
039_39_00.jpg

By the time we get to Kiliminjaro Safaris, about 930 or so, the line is long. We ask where we should go and are directed to the wheelchair access around the corner and we take the stroller as the line is long there as well. So we wait. Soon enough we get to the front of the line and they give us the back where they state it is the best seat as we can look behind us easily. We like it because Michael and Danae can kneel on the seats to look without bothering anyone. Our strollers are parked in a special spot right before we get on. The wheelchair access line is completely seperate from the rest of the line, btw. There is no mixing between the peoples. LOL I do figure out that the GAC pin at Diseny gives us front of the line access if there is noone waiting in line in the alternate entrance line (whether that's the FastPass or Wheelchair Access Line or the Exit) but it is not front of the line if there is a line there. We wait with those in that line. Does that make sense? So we figure that following a touring plan is really in our best interest to get onto the most rides, just like everyone else.

003_3_00.jpg

004_4_00.jpg

We see lots of neat things and lots of animals. I'll post the good ones here but I did have trouble with getting animal pics as most were too far away for my camera. The ones you see "close up" are really close up. Most I could have either reached out to touch them or walked a few feet and been eye to eye.

Hippos
010_10_00.jpg

Are they crocs or alligators?
011_11_00.jpg

Termite Mound
017_17_00.jpg

There are two baby giraffes that thought it would be fun to cross our path
019_19_00.jpg

020_20_00.jpg

Elephants
026_26_00.jpg

Rhinos and Zebras
030_30_00.jpg

This animal kept us from moving forward for a good five or so minutes.
038_38_00.jpg

025_25_00.jpg

The kids love this ride. Well, they love the bouncing! They are soooo excited and it was nice to sit for awhile. All we have done is go from the front entrance to the safaris ride and we are exhausted. This does not bode well.

Next up, will be make it all the way to the Lion King or will we call it a day already?

Wendy,

Thanks for the clarification on the GKTW button. I knew "front of the line" was a little too good to be true, and I am all about knowing the details before we get there. Someone else has started a thread with a question about how a MAW trip works. She has been referencing your TR. Just wanted you to know that you are now the disboard resident expert...:wizard: , and getting more famous as time goes on:cool2: . I know that I am not the only one who appreciates all your hard work on your TR. Thanks for taking the time to help the rest of us out. BTW...my DH is the pickiest eater in the family. How is breakfast at GKTW?

Wendy,

Thanks for the clarification on the GKTW button. I knew "front of the line" was a little too good to be true, and I am all about knowing the details before we get there. Someone else has started a thread with a question about how a MAW trip works. She has been referencing your TR. Just wanted you to know that you are now the disboard resident expert...:wizard: , and getting more famous as time goes on:cool2: . I know that I am not the only one who appreciates all your hard work on your TR. Thanks for taking the time to help the rest of us out. BTW...my DH is the pickiest eater in the family. How is breakfast at GKTW?

Oh my! That's too funny. I'm glad I can help though. As for the pin, most of the time we did get front of the line or close enough. We never waited more than 10 minutes anywhere even when the lines where over 90 minutes long. Matter-of-fact, the longest line I had was at a gift shop. LOL

I see your trip is in about a week. I will do my best to try and get the rest of the trip up. Then after your trip we can all read your report!

As for bfast, the continental bfast is really just cereal and milk and bananas. Apparently it can change so sometimes they have more or other things. Never did the curbside continental. You have a full stocked kitchen and if you plan on being out of the villa before 830am every day, I'd recommend just getting some bfast foods at the Walmart before hand to make right in your villa. If you are going later then I'd go ahead and do the hot breakfast. Its pretty good. Waffles, eggs, either sausage or bacon, fruit,etc. Buffet style. HTH

Thanks for the update Wendy...I have thought about doing a TR, but I haven't decided yet...you and Mick have set a very high standard... While my DH is a funny guy, I don't know if he is as funny as he thinks he is...;) so we might not have the enthusiastic following that you and Mick have. If you get to the rest of your TR that is great...if not...I completely understand! BTW, did you do Seaworld and Universal?

We get back from Orlando on Sunday and my kids start school the following Wednesday. This will be the first year that all five of mine are headed for the halls of learning. I don't know who will be more excited, me or them.. actually I do know, it will be me:woohoo:! Looking forward to more TR, but I as I said...I understand the time constraints that are on you...hope all is well in Chicagoland

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter