A Foodie’s Foray into Fantastic Finds – 4/26-5/6 COMPLETE!

Golly. Enough with the foodie and the gourmet already. What's the big deal? :confused3 It's just the title of a thread on a Disney Board. Not Bon Appetite magazine.

Thanks for sharing your reviews so far, I am really enjoying them. Hope the bites cleared up quickly, sounds really nasty. I loved the pic of your girls huddled up on the pavement with their hotdogs, so cute!

Laur's princess:

Great reviews, yet again!

As has been said many times on this board, I too feel that LeCellier has gone downhill in recent years. It never rivaled Yachtsman, but it used to be better.

Anyway, if you ever go back, ask for a side of bernaise sauce. They do this well there. I'm a sauce with steak person too. We always order a side of it (and fight over it) when we go to LC.

The last time I had a steak at Le Cellier, it was lunchtime during a May trip, before the DDP ever existed. I haven't been back post-DDP, because I just don't want the hassle of making that 180 day out phone call hoping for the best. ;)

Don't be afraid of asserting yourself! You should have gone for the pinot noir if that suited you better.

And I never get tired of seeing a dessert that will stick a tongue out at you. It's just the cutest thing ever. :lovestruc

Golly. Enough with the foodie and the gourmet already. What's the big deal? :confused3 It's just the title of a thread on a Disney Board. Not Bon Appetite magazine.

I agree.

To the OP, great review. I can't wait to read more.

Wonderful pictures and I love your reviews. About your bites. Could they possibly be bed bug bites? Sometimes the little critters have been known to vacation at WDW.

About your bites. Could they possibly be bed bug bites? Sometimes the little critters have been known to vacation at WDW.

I was thinking the same thing:eek: . Love your review though!! Can't wait for more!!!

Just got caught up on your reviews & am really enjoying them so far:cool1:

Thanks for sharing your pics, I've been on a low carb diet & can only get my food thrills from drooling over sticky buns on the monitor:rotfl2:

Thanks for your reviews and photos!! The Kona bread and butter looks sooo tasty and you made me feel a bit better about not getting ADR's for Le Cellier. :)

Wonderful pictures and I love your reviews. About your bites. Could they possibly be bed bug bites? Sometimes the little critters have been known to vacation at WDW.

This crossed my mind as well. But I didn't hear you say anyone else had bites too.

Great reviews so far! After your review of the steaks at both Kona and Le Cellier, I am definitely looking forward to our ADR at Kona more and more. Thanks so much for taking the time to give us some great pictures and thoughts! Your girls are just adorable! :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing your reviews so far, I am really enjoying them. Hope the bites cleared up quickly, sounds really nasty. I loved the pic of your girls huddled up on the pavement with their hotdogs, so cute!

Laur's princess:

Thanks arieljasmine! I think they are pretty cute myself, biased as I am. :goodvibes

Great reviews, yet again!

As has been said many times on this board, I too feel that LeCellier has gone downhill in recent years. It never rivaled Yachtsman, but it used to be better.

Anyway, if you ever go back, ask for a side of bernaise sauce. They do this well there. I'm a sauce with steak person too. We always order a side of it (and fight over it) when we go to LC.

I will definitely have to try Yachtsman next trip. Actually I read somewhere that the Flying Fish has one of the best steaks at Disney World! And DH still talks about the beef teriyaki at Kona.

The last time I had a steak at Le Cellier, it was lunchtime during a May trip, before the DDP ever existed. I haven't been back post-DDP, because I just don't want the hassle of making that 180 day out phone call hoping for the best. ;)

Don't be afraid of asserting yourself! You should have gone for the pinot noir if that suited you better.

And I never get tired of seeing a dessert that will stick a tongue out at you. It's just the cutest thing ever. :lovestruc

Thanks BriarRose. I am getting better at asserting myself with waitstaff but I am always afraid that they will spit on my food when they bring it back. I am aiming ofr a delicate balance! :rotfl: I don't think we will be heading back to Le Cellier anytime soon. It isn't worth the effort of getting an adr. There are so many other places to try and a lot of them are not included in the Dining Plan.

It is possible I guess but the girls had no bites at all (although they were in the other bed) and DH had very few. He had a couple of botes on his arms. My mother said I was very sensitive to fleas as a child and they wouldn't bother anyone else. It also got a lot worse after we watched the fireworks on the beach so I assumed that it was fleas. Now I know to ask for the sheets to be changed as soon as I think there is a problem.

Just got caught up on your reviews & am really enjoying them so far:cool1:

Thanks for sharing your pics, I've been on a low carb diet & can only get my food thrills from drooling over sticky buns on the monitor:rotfl2:

The sticky buns are no problem while you are there. You walk enough to counteract the effect of the carbs. But when you get home, it is a lot harder to stop eating the way you did on vacation. I gainedmy weight when I got home. So now I am back on WW with 7 pound to go to get back on lifetime. I feel your pain! :hug:

Thanks for your reviews and photos!! The Kona bread and butter looks sooo tasty and you made me feel a bit better about not getting ADR's for Le Cellier. :)

Don't sweat Le Cellier! Try Kona instead or California Grill!

This crossed my mind as well. But I didn't hear you say anyone else had bites too.

Nope, I was the only one attacked. Next time I will head to the front desk the first morning!

Great reviews so far! After your review of the steaks at both Kona and Le Cellier, I am definitely looking forward to our ADR at Kona more and more. Thanks so much for taking the time to give us some great pictures and thoughts! Your girls are just adorable! :goodvibes

Kona was fantastic! Our second visit was just as good as our first. We canceled an adr at Wolfgang Puck's on our last night because both of us wanted one more meal at Kona. You will definitely enjoy it!

Today dawned fresh and clear at Port Orleans Riverside. In some ways it was like coming home. We had so many great memories from our last trip here. We spent a whole lot of time at the pool on Old Man Island so I was looking forward to coming back this evening and splashing around. The big bites seemed to have eased up. I had dropped into the medical aid center at Epcot last night and scored some calamine lotion with benadryl in it and that made a huge difference. I finally was getting some relief. We took our time and had breakfast at the Riverside Mill again splitting our plates. I stopped taking pictures of breakfast (if I had ever remembered) since it all pretty much looked the same. Mickey waffles, pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon. Nothing new or exciting here. By the time we got to the bus stop, it was already 10:00 and as had been happening all week, a bus for Hollywood Studios pulled in just as we arrived.

We squeezed in as much we could into the morning we had left making sure to fit in some little kids stuff and some mommy and daddy time on the Rock’n Rollercoaster (taking turns of course) and then we had just enough time for lunch at Toy Story Pizza Planet before heading over to the Stunt Show Spectacular. This is a favorite for the girls because they recognize it from the Toy Story Movies and I actually like the pizza here. Also, DD5 is a bit of a gamer and loves the arcade part of it. We ordered a couple of Woody meals. Basically you have a choice of cheese, pepperoni or vegetarian pizza so not a lot to choose from, but the meals comes with a nice crisp garden salad and a cookie, sliced apples or a rice crispy treat. For some reason I am always surprised at how much I enjoy this pizza and the salad is really crisp and fresh. There are several choices of dressings too. I prefer the ranch. We wolfed down the food once again sharing two meals and then DH fit in one nascar game with DD5 before we hot-footed it over to The Stunt Show Spectacular.

img_2300-O.jpg

img_2301-O.jpg

img_2302-O.jpg

We had a long hot afternoon at the park and were really looking forward to the slower pace of the Boardwalk. We had 5:30 adr’s at Spoodles but we only got to the Hollywood us Depot at 5:10. Not good. It got worse when we realized that there was no bus to the Boardwalk from HS! :eek: Oh but wait there is a boat and it is coming in right now. We ran down to the dock and managed to get on the boat and enjoyed a nice cruise towards The Dolphin and The Swan. When we arrived at the dock for those hotels we were told that we could either stay on board for another half hour to get to the Boardwalk or we could get off and walk for maybe 10 minutes. Off we got! It was actually a really nice walk to the Boardwalk from there. We actually made our adr right on time.

We arrived right on time and were seated almost right away. It wasn’t too busy here but I found I really liked the décor. It was very colorful. We were hot and the kids had a long day so I wasn’t sure how this meal would work out. We placed an order for drinks. I ordered a nice refreshing glass of sangria while DH stuck to his usual Coke.

IMG_3060.jpg

Drinks came pretty quickly for all of us and we placed our orders. The waiter was very good at explaining what things were and making suggestions. I already knew what I wanted to start with. I ordered Steamed Mussels - Served with chorizo and saffron cream. These were delicious! I loved the combination of the chewy mussels with the flavorful sausage and the saffron cream sauce was amazing. This was the best part of the meal! You can dip the bread that they give you, did I mention the bread? Oh well you can dip it into the saffron sauce and I found this a lot tastier than the oil and olives dipping sauce that is provided.

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

DH passed on an appetizer and just ordered his entrée. He requested the Pan-Fried Chicken Cutlet - served with shaved Serrano ham, fennel, and arugula salad with lemon-white balsamic vinaigrette. He cleaned his plate and said her really enjoyed this although he wasn’t sure that everything went well together. Keep in mind that I have never seen this man order a main course that even remotely resembled a salad. He is usually a steak and potatoes guy in a restaurant so this was a completely new experience for him. I was very proud of him for trying something new! It looks really good and I wish I had chosen as well as he had.

IMG_3064.jpg

Now I had been having bad luck when it came to choosing entrees and that didn’t change here. I ordered the Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Linguine - with preserved lemons, Italian parsley, shaved garlic and butter. This was pretty tasteless. Yes, the shrimp were cooked perfectly and a good size but the dish was just plain and fairly tasteless. Next time I will try something different like the cutlet or maybe Cornish hen.

IMG_3065.jpg

DD5 ordered Grilled Chicken Strips with macaroni topped with marinara sauce and mozzarella. She ate some but again she finished the chicken noodle soup that came as a side.

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

DD3 ordered a cheese pizza. She really enjoyed this. It was done a little differently than the usual restaurants and made for something at least a little varied for the kids menu.

IMG_3059.jpg

For dessert I actually forgot to take pictures but they had samples that looked a little unreal out front so I snapped pictures of them instead. I promise that the actual desserts looked a lot more appetizing and moist! DH ordered the Chocolate Financier Cake - Rich dark chocolate cake with crunchy hazelnuts served with mocha gelato and port cassis glaze. He really enjoyed the cake but he had forgotten that mocha implied coffee and so he ate very little of the ice cream.

IMG_3067.jpg

I ordered the Baklava -almond and walnut baklava with dried fruit compote. This was delicious! I love baklava to begin with but the compote on top was delicious and juicy despite what this picture shows you. Once again I scored perfectly on the appetizer and the dessert. Eventually I am going to end up passing on the entrée altogether! :lmao:

IMG_3066.jpg

I really enjoyed Spoodles for something different. I would try a different entrée next time, but I would definitely come back. I plan to try the Flying Fish first however.

We dropped into the Boardwalk confectionary and picked out some yummy treats. DD3 got too close to the glass case and actually bumped her nose into it. She started to cry and the CM quickly gave her whatever she wanted to stop the crying. She walked out of there with a free Nemo iced cookie. Nicely done my little Squish! :laughing:

I know they don't get good reviews but that pizza looked quite nice,

I have just eaten a weight watchers one for dinner and quite frankly it just didn't do the job I require pizza to do. (like have some flavour).

Oh well when I lose all this weight I will be able to put it all back on again at WDW. It is the thought of all that food on holiday that keeps me going. Yeah I know I am suppose to be looking at it as a lifestyle choice bla bla healthy eating bla bla.

Kirsten

That mussel dish at Spoodles is one of my favorite dishes!!:goodvibes I'm so sorry you didn't care for the linguine, when I had it and it was full of lemon garlicy flavor goodness.:)

Thanks for your latest reviews, everything looks so tasty I wanted to climb into the pics. I tried mussells at Le Cellier for the 1st time on our Dec 07 trip, yummy! Imagine my disappointment when I found out that they had changed the recipe from the applewood bacon & potato sauce to a coconut lime sauce or something like that. :scared1: I guess its a good thing that I couldn't get adrs there for our Sept trip.

By the way, happy dieting:) I hope you lose all the lbs you want & never gain an ounce.:cool1:

I know they don't get good reviews but that pizza looked quite nice,

I have just eaten a weight watchers one for dinner and quite frankly it just didn't do the job I require pizza to do. (like have some flavour).

Oh well when I lose all this weight I will be able to put it all back on again at WDW. It is the thought of all that food on holiday that keeps me going. Yeah I know I am suppose to be looking at it as a lifestyle choice bla bla healthy eating bla bla.

Kirsten

Hi Kristen! Weight Watchers pizza pretty much sucks. I make my own stuff and it ends up tasting a lot better. You won't put the weight back on at Disney World. You put it on when you get home and you keep eating freely and you are not walking 60 miles a day anymore! I found WW a lot harder at maintenance than I ever losing the weight. I love food way too much! Oh well I am 7 pounds away from goal and I am going to try my darndest to stay there for a while! Good luck to you!

That mussel dish at Spoodles is one of my favorite dishes!!:goodvibes I'm so sorry you didn't care for the linguine, when I had it and it was full of lemon garlicy flavor goodness.:)

The linguini dish might have been really good, but not to my taste. I find that when I have a whole lot of pasta and not much else I get bored of it really quickly. Give me a nice tortellini and a heavy cream sauce full of mushrooms, sundries tomatoes and parmesean cheese and I am good to go. :) Maybe I should find a good Italian restaurant next time! :rotfl:

Thanks for your latest reviews, everything looks so tasty I wanted to climb into the pics. I tried mussells at Le Cellier for the 1st time on our Dec 07 trip, yummy! Imagine my disappointment when I found out that they had changed the recipe from the applewood bacon & potato sauce to a coconut lime sauce or something like that. :scared1: I guess its a good thing that I couldn't get adrs there for our Sept trip.

By the way, happy dieting:) I hope you lose all the lbs you want & never gain an ounce.:cool1:

I love mussels almost any way. I probably would go for the coconut sauce too! But I won't be going back to Le Cellier to try them. Thanks for the encouragement on the wieght loss. I only have a handful of pounds to go and hopefully this time I will keep it off. :yay:

Great reviews and fantastic pictures! Can't wait for more!!!

Thanks Sunnie! I should be able to get the next installment up tomorrow morning. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter