A Foodie’s Foray into Fantastic Finds – 4/26-5/6 COMPLETE!

Heheh. I couldn't help myself with the "Ricola" yodel. I must admit that I found myself shouting that in the Matterhorn queue at Disneyland. :rolleyes1

I haven't been to Biergarten in over 10 years. I was never that excited by the place.

Heheh. I couldn't help myself with the "Ricola" yodel. I must admit that I found myself shouting that in the Matterhorn queue at Disneyland. :rolleyes1 .

lol I did that on the matterhorn at disneyland also....my daughter and niece about died...lol. After that if they started to misbehave I would tell them we were going to go on the matterhorn again...lol. Stopped them every time!:rotfl2:

Wow! Sorry for the delay on the next post! Everything seems to have come at us at once but now that DD3’s (now 4) birthday party is over things should slow down into a nice summer routine. So where was I?

We have now gotten into the habit of taking our time getting going in the morning and it really seems to work for us. I would have liked to make it to rope drop at least once but in the end with the kids we let them sleep until they were ready to wake up. Today we were heading to Downtown Disney anyway so there was no rush. As always we split a couple of adult breakfast platters before heading out.

We walked around the Marketplace for a while and spent a whole lot of time at Lego Land (did you know you could get pink lego?). Then we hit the giant Disney Store and picked up some souvenirs. At this point DH slips off to find himself a 2008 baseball for his collection and God knows what else. I on the other hand and left with two girls and no means to pay for the things I picked up. Having found all I wanted to find and now tired of chasing said little girls around the store and convincing them to put things back on the shelves I start the search for DH. Now for those of you who haven’t been here before, this store is akin to a maze filled with different categories of Disney paraphernalia. There are rooms going off of other rooms merging into yet more rooms. I searched for 45 minutes before finding DH and I have to tell you by then I was so NOT amused. I grabbed my card and paid for what I had and we left to go for lunch with very few words between us. :furious:

On the way we stopped at Goofy’s Candy Factory and loaded up on some chocolate and treats. Nothing brightens my moods like chocolate and DH knows this as he often uses a box of chocolaty delights to get himself out of the dog house. By the time we walked into the Rainforest Café I was in a much better mood. :goodvibes

We had thought this would be a lot of fun for the girls which is about the only reason we would consider paying OOP for this! Well we were so far off it wasn’t even funny. We were seated right next to a bunch of animatronic gorillas and right away they started hoo hoo hooing away. Well both of my girls slapped their hand over their ears and looked like they were going to cry. We reassured them that it was all pretend and for a little bit they enjoyed looking around at all of the different animals. We were able to at least place our order. Then the “storm” started and that was pretty much it for them. They hardly ate anything the whole meal because they kept their hand over their ears in anticipation of the stormy mayhem to come. And we certainly didn’t come here for the great food!

In any case DH ordered the Rainforest Burger - 1/2 pound burger, charbroiled and served on a toasted bun with tomato, lettuce, and onion, served with potato chips or fries and with added cheddar cheese. The burger was a decent burger but nothing to write home about. He chose it because he couldn’t see spending that much money on anything else!

IMG_3101.jpg

I ordered a Paradise House Salad - Mixed greens and Roma tomatoes, jicama, carrots, and cucumbers with your choice of dressing to start since I felt like something green and so did DD5. It was nice a crisp salad and honestly it was nice to have something fresh and green for once. I think all the heavy breakfasts are getting to me.

IMG_3093.jpg

As an entrée I ordered the Blue Mountain Chicken Sandwich - Tender grilled chicken breast, Cajun seasoned and topped with bacon, Swiss cheese, roasted red peppers and leaf lettuce, served on a toasted bun with spicy Safari sauce and coleslaw. This was actually pretty good! The sauce and the cheese made for a great taste combination and the chips were like Miss Vickies so I enjoyed them although I didn’t come close to finishing them. We just didn’t have the heart to make the girls stay any longer than necessary.

IMG_3102.jpg

DD3 ordered the Mini Hot Dogs - 3 mini hot dogs served with kettle chips, buttered kernel corn or applesauce. She chose the corn. This was nothing really special but I guess it was sort of neat for her to have mini hot dogs.

IMG_3103.jpg

DD5 asked for the Poppin' Shrimp - Breaded popcorn shrimp served with cut carrots. She tends to not like breading very much so what she did eat she peeled the breading off. But honestly most of her time was spent with her hands over her ears so it wasn’t the most productive meal. :confused3

IMG_3104.jpg

I don’t think we will be returning her any time real soon. Our waiter was very nice however refilling our drinks long before we were finished the first one and even taking a picture of the family. As you can see it isn’t the best picture but it does tell the story! :rotfl:

IMG_3099.jpg

Finishing off our meal in record time we left the restaurant and headed back to POR via the boat ride which DD3 really enjoys. DH then took the girls swimming while I rested up and then got ready for date night. I had called Kids Nite Out to reserve a babysitter thinking this would be more successful than our experience with Fairy godmothers on our last trip. They asked me if I had any preferences and I actually requested a college aged female. In order to deal with my DD5’s anxiety I asked to know her name and what type of activity she would be bringing. So when we checked in, I was told her name was Joyce and they didn’t know what she would be bringing. We booked her for two nights thinking we would be able to spend some time together. Well when it was time for Joyce to arrive my DD5 was sitting on the window sill watching for her. All of a sudden DD5 says “Oh oh” and starts to shrink away from the window. I answer the door and this woman had to be at least 65. She asks a bunch of questions about the girls and their preferences and then makes me sign something stating that they weren’t responsible if my children destroy the furniture in the room. I tried to explain to her that DD5 was a little nervous about us leaving her and at this point DD5 was desperately trying not to cry. I asked her what she planned to do with the girls that night and I found out all she brought with her were a few sheets and some crayons, the same type of stuff they have been doing at every restaurant since we got here not to mention on the plane. :worried:

I have no idea how I managed to leave the room and in retrospect I wish I hadn’t. DD5 had pulled it together and was putting on a brave face so DH and I left for our date. I feel like crying thinking about it. Nothing bad actually happened and the girls were safe and enjoyed their evening to some extent but suffice it to say the second date night was promptly canceled. DD5 was not willing to give it a second chance.

DH and I took the bus to Downtown Disney’s West Side and did a little shopping at Virgin and then had some friendly head to heads at Disney Quest before heading over to Raglan Road for our much anticipated date night dinner. We had taken an 8:00 adr so that we wouldn’t be out too late but we could enjoy the entertainment. Great news! We were seated at a table for 2 not too far from the dancer’s stage. For anyone wondering about whether kids are welcome, there was actually an adorable little baby maybe 6 months old sitting up on the bar while mom enjoyed a pint! I snapped a picture but then thought this mommy might not want her baby’s face up on the internet so I will leave it down. I haven’t decided yet whether or not I will afford the same luxury to the guy wearing a lude T-shirt at magic Kingdom. But that is for a later date!

Being date night I promptly ordered a drink. Bring on the Celtic sangria! I love sangria but I don’t know what was going on at the bar tonight. This drink was pretty weak and watery. And Brenda if I know you, a weak and watery drink would not make your top ten list! I was thirsty though and finished it off before our meals came. I ordered a black velvet (half Guinness and half hard cider). Now this was more like it! Yummy beer goodness lightened and sweetened with the cider. See how they actually seperate in the glass? And then they come together with each sip!

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

To start off with DH and I ordered the Dalkey Duo - Dalkey battered cocktail sausages, with a Dalkey mustard dipping sauce. We had shared this last time and loved it so much we couldn’t wait to order it again. There are tons of other things I would like to try too, but unfortunately they don’t make servings for one so that we could order different things and share. Maybe next time. These were just as good as we remembered them and ended up asking for extra mustard dipping sauce. They are filling little things though so pace yourselves. The sausages aren’t anything like a plain hotdog. They are a great flavored little sausage and the batter on it is hot and crisp. The mustard dipping sauce is the perfect compliment and the presentation is so different with the forks all standing up on the board. Two thumbs up again on this one.

IMG_3116.jpg

We were also served the soda bread with dipping sauce. This isn't my cup of tea and with a rapidly filling up belly I was saving room.

IMG_3121.jpg

For round 2 DH ordered the Serious Sirloin Steak - 10oz sirloin topped with Irish whiskey glaze, and drizzled with fresh basil oil. Served with mashed potatoes and topped with crispy fried onion strings. He had ordered this last time too and at the time he felt it tasted a little livery, but he wasn’t feeling well at the time and besides, what were the chances of that happening twice? He was going to have steak on date night! Well his memory was bang on because the steak once again had the liver taste and he didn’t really enjoy the steak. I have warned him to order something a little more Irish when in Irishtown, but did he listen to me?

Sorry for the blurry picture. :(
IMG_3122.jpg

I ordered the Fish & Chips - Beer-battered fish and chips served with fresh tartar sauce. I figured back to basics! I enjoyed this but I once again wish I had ordered something else for an entrée. I seemed to have all the wrong picks this year! I just lacked some flavor to the batter. I don’t know if it was the oil or a lack of salt. With the malt vinegar though I did enjoy it. It just didn’t stand out for me. I am wondering it the fish and chips at the little stand in the World Showcase might be better. I have yet to try it.

IMG_3123.jpg

At this point I was seriously getting full but as you now know, I am all about the dessert and this time I wasn’t about to make the same mistake and miss out on Ger’s bread and Butter Pudding! It really is as fabulous as they say it is. The butterscotch sauce is to die for and mix both sauces into the pudding and a little slice of heaven is what you find. I never did finish it. I wonder what they would say if I tried to order dessert first next time.

IMG_3128.jpg

DH decided on the Dunbrody Kiss. He thought it was pretty good. I will inform you that as much as I like chocolate and I am a normal healthy woman who needs a shot of chocolate regularly, my DH is a chocoholic and can at times behave like a woman with a raving case of PMS. He appreciates a good chocolate dessert and he finished this all off without even sharing!

IMG_3130.jpg

Now for the atmosphere. We love the atmosphere in this restaurant. There is plenty of seating to make it a big restaurant but it has that classy pub feel to it. In the true Irish way it is warm and inclusive. The bar is a beautiful thing! The music was great but I don’t understand their idea of dancing. The dancer was great, don’t get me wrong. But she came out of a 2 minute dance and then climbed off the stage and went back to her dressing room somewhere not to be seen again while we were there. That must be some strong union! How tired could she be? We did love the dancing though.

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

Done and fully satisfied we waddled our way to the bus stop anxious to get back to our room and check on the angels. They were fast asleep and soon so were we. :goodvibes

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

We really enjoyed this restaurant once again, but we would both change our choice of entrée. We may give it a pass next time but rest assured we will be back!

Up Tomorrow: The Rookie Chef and a Walk to the Neighbor’s Kitchen

Aww, poor kids had a heckuva day! Too bad about the outside agencies babysitting. I know that both are usually recommended, but it seems the best responses are from the deluxe resorts' kids clubs. I don't recall if you had a car or not, but if you did, using one of the kids' clubs might be a better option.

And I must say that I enjoyed my Raglan Road meal. Paddy's pork was fairly good, and I really enjoyed the bread and butter pudding, too. And I'm just as much of a chocoholic as the next person!

What a shame that your girls didn't enjoy rainforest cafe! The picture is perfect as you said, it tells the whole story!
Your little angels are so cute! The pictures of them sleeping tug at my heart strings!!!
Looking forward to more!

Aww, poor kids had a heckuva day! Too bad about the outside agencies babysitting. I know that both are usually recommended, but it seems the best responses are from the deluxe resorts' kids clubs. I don't recall if you had a car or not, but if you did, using one of the kids' clubs might be a better option.

And I must say that I enjoyed my Raglan Road meal. Paddy's pork was fairly good, and I really enjoyed the bread and butter pudding, too. And I'm just as much of a chocoholic as the next person!

I was really hoping that they would enjoy the babysitting but the first time, the sitter was quite old and wouldn't let DD3 climb on the play structure because she was afraid she would fall and so there were lots of tears involved. Maybe being Canadian, I am not used to the fear of being sued so I suppose I can't blame her. And she brought nothing to do with the girls so basically my DD5 thought I was lying to her. The second time was worse because I promised her someone young and that they would bring something to do and I was wrong on both counts! I am hoping they will even trust me to stay at the Neverland Club next time. DD3 was a month too young to stay there this time. :(

We had a similar experience to yours at Rainforest Cafe - my DS absolutely loves animals but he found it way too loud and overpowering - needless to say, we won't be rushing back there again!

As for Raglan Road, I agree with you about the Dalkey Duo - those sausages are lovely. I have always wanted to try the scallop appetiser there too but never seem to stray from those tasty little sausages :)

I have had fish and chips twice there and enjoyed it both times - maybe you got an 'off batch'. For the record, I really love the fish and chips from Harry Ramsden's at Epcot so I'm sure you will too. We also had fish and chips from the counter service place next to Raglan Road on our last trip and they were yummy too. They also do the sausages there ;)

I was really hoping that they would enjoy the babysitting but the first time, the sitter was quite old and wouldn't let DD3 climb on the play structure because she was afraid she would fall and so there were lots of tears involved. Maybe being Canadian, I am not used to the fear of being sued so I suppose I can't blame her. And she brought nothing to do with the girls so basically my DD5 thought I was lying to her. The second time was worse because I promised her someone young and that they would bring something to do and I was wrong on both counts! I am hoping they will even trust me to stay at the Neverland Club next time. DD3 was a month too young to stay there this time. :(

Just wondering. Did you call them and ask why activies are not brought with the sitter? They should have a standard activity pack for all the sitters. Don't ya think? And how come your request of a college aged sitter was not honored?

On the other hand. If they sent Mrs Doubtfire, that would have been great!!!!

I have had fish and chips twice there and enjoyed it both times - maybe you got an 'off batch'. For the record, I really love the fish and chips from Harry Ramsden's at Epcot so I'm sure you will too. We also had fish and chips from the counter service place next to Raglan Road on our last trip and they were yummy too. They also do the sausages there ;)

I will definitely be giving the fish and chips another shot. I saw the fish at Cooke's of Dublin while I was waiting for them to make me a Doh bar later in the trip and the fish pieces there were huge!! I am trying to stick to 20 points today so i am drooling just thinking about it. :lovestruc

Just wondering. Did you call them and ask why activies are not brought with the sitter? They should have a standard activity pack for all the sitters. Don't ya think? And how come your request of a college aged sitter was not honored?

On the other hand. If they sent Mrs Doubtfire, that would have been great!!!!

No they did not send Mrs. Doubtfire. My kids were not impressed either time although the Kid's Nite Out was a better experience than Fairy Godmothers. I am somewhat non-confrontational and I chose in this situation to just not use their service again. I think if I ever did I would be making my greivances from the last time clear in the hopes that it would NOT happen again. But DD3 is now 4 so next time I will be trying to Neverland Club. (Assuming the kids are older and will trust us to leave them again. :) )

Your pics from Raglan Road look so yummy!!! I had to stop lurking to say that will be on my list to try in Dec!!! Did you have to get a ticket to get into Pleasure Island??? Just curious b/c we have AP but not the AP with everything on it.

Your pics from Raglan Road look so yummy!!! I had to stop lurking to say that will be on my list to try in Dec!!! Did you have to get a ticket to get into Pleasure Island??? Just curious b/c we have AP but not the AP with everything on it.

You can walk through Pleasure Island at no cost and Raglan Road is accessible through the Marketside easily. You only have to pay for Pleasure Island when you actually enter the clubs so you will have no problem hitting Raglan Road. From my last trip the It's Not a Bleedin' Chowder was amazing and well worth it. Have a great time and I will watch for your reviews! :goodvibes

Today was a day for Epcot. We had planned on only spending part of the day at Epcot and then relaxing at the resort but we got caught up in the fun that is the World Showcase and didn’t make it back to the resort until after 4:00!

We made our way through the Kidcot Kiosks in Future World in the morning. Turtle Talk with crush was wonderful although neither of my kids were interested in sitting up front and chatting with the giant sea turtle. It ran a fair bit later than we had expected so we ended up running with our double stroller to the complete other side of the World Showcase. We were a couple of minutes late, a fair bit sweaty but no harm done. The waiting area here is shared with Tokyo Dining but there is more than enough waiting space for everyone. They did a great job on that with the renovations. The atmosphere here is great. The rooms were somewhat divided into 4 grills per room and each grill fit approximately 8 to 10 people.

We were seated at Teppan Edo with another family with two young daughters. You would think this would be a great match but it didn’t turn out that way. This family was a local family with a season pass and really had no patience for tourists. They were by no means mean or rude, but they had absolutely no interest in chatting so we kept to our side of the table and they kept to theirs. I have found that tourists are always happy to meet new people, whereas locals not so much. Not a complaint or criticism, just an experience.:confused3

We took a look at the menus and I decided on an appetizer of Tempura vegetables. I know there is nothing wild and crazy about tempura but I really like it. I think I forgot to take a picture of this sorry, but they came hot from the oil and cooked perfectly. The dipping sauce was a little different from what I am used to but it was actually pretty good once I got over the surprise.

The kids’ meals were interesting. They had a choice of two meals cooked on the grill, shrimp or chicken I believe or they could have meals prepared in the kitchen and served in a replica of the monorail. Well my kids didn’t care what was in it they had to have the monorail! By this point in our vacation, they had already given all of the monorails names and personalities. I never saw that coming! So DD5 ordered the Tempura Chicken and Shrimp meal served with mashed potatoes, broccoli and mixed veggies. They also had a fruit cup and a bowl of sticky white rice. She really enjoyed this and a waitress actually tied the girls’ chopsticks together with elastic and a piece of paper between them so they girls could practice. They had a blast trying!

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

DD3 ordered the chicken teriyaki not being much of a shrimp fan. She really liked this meal. She ate all of the chicken and the mixed veggies. We were all impressed with the kids’ meals.

DH and I were really interested in the grill since this is where all of the fun is in a Teppan restaurant. DH ordered the chicken and steak combo while I ordered the shrimp and steak combo. Our neighbors ordered some scallops and chicken I think. All of our meals were grilled up at the same time. All meals consisted of three sauces; ginger, sesame and shrimp. After the waitress explained what each sauce was for, the chef started by grilling up the veggies. She made a very nice onion volcano. That seemed to be a standard trick on all of the tables. Here at home, the local teppan chefs tend to set that on fire briefly which adds and element of excitement to the whole thing but I imagine Disney might be a little more cautious to prevent law suits.

IMG_3148.jpg

She then added the noodles and finally moved onto the meats. As each part was cooked she added it to our respective plates and left the steak for last. Now for the review! The food was wonderful. The veggies were grilled to perfection. They were hot and still fairly crunchy. The shrimp were perfectly cooked as was the chicken and finally the steak was cooked perfectly. Mine was medium rare and DH’s was medium. You can actually see the difference! The steak had so much flavor.

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

Dessert options left a lot to be desired. I feel that if the dining plan offers a dessert but not an appetizer, the dessert selection should be up to a certain standard in a table service restaurant. There are better desserts at most quick service locations. The girls got cookies in plastic wrap which I put away for a later snack.

IMG_3160.jpg

DH chose the soft chocolate ice cream. It looked pretty disgusting!

IMG_3158.jpg

I chose the fruit tart. This was pretty lame and I didn’t eat much of it. I really believe that if you can’t bring the desserts up to par then you should be able to have an appetizer on the dining plan instead.

IMG_3159.jpg

Dinner was a lot of fun although we seemed to get the chef in training as some of her tricks left a lot to be desired and she even accidentally flung the spatula at the couple sitting next to me. She was very sweet and apologetic and the food was wonderful so I have no complaints. We were later able to watch the show from a much more entertaining chef at a grill nearby and it was hilarious. He let the kids wear the chef’s hat and pose with him doing ninja moves with his utensils. This would have made for some great memories had we had that but I have no regrets on eating here.

On our way around the world I stopped in Italy to pick up a bottle of Rosa Regale. This is a sweet dessert wine that I have heard a lot of great things about, but I have yet to open my bottle because I am waiting for the perfect occasion. I don’t want to waste a drop but I don’t want to share it with too many people either since I would like to enjoy as much of it as I can. What to do, what to do…

We spent the rest of the afternoon at Epcot and when we left we decided to pick up the floaties and bathing suits from POR and then take the boat over to the French Quarter to swim and eat dinner. POFQ has a beautiful pool for kids it is! It has an amazing dragon slide which is just perfect for kids. We finally pulled ourselves out of the pool when the skies kind of darkened up. We dried off a bit and then headed into the Sassagoula Flatworks and Food Factory. I had heard about the beignets and being from Montreal I figured I would try them and see if they compared to anything here. Well to my surprise, they made them for me right there in front of me so they were hot and fresh. They were very very good and I don’t think I have had anything quite like it. I think next time I will have them mark my receipt and go and get the beignets when we are actually ready to eat them. The food here was very interesting and great value. We ordered three adult meals and shred them all around. I ordered a half rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes, veggies, gravy and corn bread. Chicken was absolutely delicious and there was plenty of food. I never bothered with the side items. The seasoning wasn’t as good at the smoked seasonings at the flame tree barbeque but there was nothing left of the chicken when we were done!

I also ordered a steak and cheese sandwich. This was very good too and Gary and I split this. Lots of yummy thinly sliced steak with peppers and onions melted cheese. Not bad for a moderate resort!

Finally I ordered the chicken paella. I think this was the least popular of the three. The girls had some as did Gary but I never got to it.

I seem to have forgotten tp take any pictures of the food so I apologize. rest assured though it was a great place to swim and grab a bite to eat! When we finished eating the rain had slowed to a fine drizzle. We walked through the streets of the French Quarter and realized that we absolutely loved it! We would love to stay there on our next trip. The street lamps are beautiful and instead of a resort with pathways it really does look like a beautiful quaint French street! We decided to keep walking along the path back to Riverside and it wasn’t that long a walk at all. We really enjoyed the stroll and so did the kids. We had to get out of the way for the horse drawn carriage and the kids loved that. It was a nice relaxing way to end the day! Off to bed to get ready for another day.

Up Tomorrow: Breakfast Confusion and a Change of Plans

Thanks for the great pics & review of Teppan Edo. :cool1: We really enjoyed it on our last trip & unlike you we sat next to a local couple & their daughter who were very friendly. We had met them while waiting for our table & had an instant rapport & were really glad we got to enjoy our meal together. You never know what to expect when theres communal seating..sometimes you get a dud & sometimes you luck out like we did.:) By the way, we really liked the Ginger Cake for desert...yum.

I am not usually a sweet wine drinker, but I recently opened a bottle of ice-wine, bought a few years ago on a trip to Germany and saved for a special occassion, (my brother and girlfriend visiting from NZ, he works on a vinyard) the wine was really lovely. Shame I had to share it..... :bitelip:

Kirsten

we love raglan road, DD has the dalkey duo are her entree and I love the pie in the sky.

I have to confess to ditching the appetisers, to make sure there is room for my ger's bread pudding.

thanks for the reviews, I am really enjoying.

Before you open that bottle of Rosa Regale, buy some good chocolate to go with it. The first time I tried it at the Italian Pavilion, they sold me a small piece of chocolate to go with the wine. :thumbsup2

Dinner and swimming sounds great! I hope you enjoy your wine also!

I love Teppan restaurants and I'm sorry the show wasn't up to par but I am happy that the food was good!!
Looking forward to more!

What a pity your girls were scared at RFC, it is very loud in there though isn't it!

Sounded as though the food at Tepp was good, I can remember eating there as a child and they would throw knives around and do a fantastic show, obviously health and safety thought it was too dangerous :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter