2017 DDP Changes

Ok, this is a really dumb question, so please forgive me. Last year, my (2) 11 year olds and I went to WDW - first time for them, first time for me in at least 20 years. I loved having the DDP (the "regular" one - snack, QS and TS). We are trying to plan again for this summer, and I know the promo is out with "free" QSx1 per day.

Where I need help / get confused is it seems you either take this offer and buy the rest of your meals, or lose the offer and either do a full on QSDP or the DDP - is that correct? Am I missing something?

We certainly could "survive" (haha) on the QSDP but we really love that table meal once a day.

Ok, this is a really dumb question, so please forgive me. Last year, my (2) 11 year olds and I went to WDW - first time for them, first time for me in at least 20 years. I loved having the DDP (the "regular" one - snack, QS and TS). We are trying to plan again for this summer, and I know the promo is out with "free" QSx1 per day.

Where I need help / get confused is it seems you either take this offer and buy the rest of your meals, or lose the offer and either do a full on QSDP or the DDP - is that correct? Am I missing something?

We certainly could "survive" (haha) on the QSDP but we really love that table meal once a day.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can upgrade from the free one QS meal/night to the full DDP. The cost of the upgrade (if we did the math correctly) is around $50 per adult per night, so it's still a small discount. You'll need to call and make the reservation and ask to upgrade to the regular DDP. You may also want to price out the other special offers out there to be sure this is the best one for you.

Please let us know if you try to do it and what happens. There was a thread a week or so ago where one person was able to do it, so I'm curious about your experience.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can upgrade from the free one QS meal/night to the full DDP. The cost of the upgrade (if we did the math correctly) is around $50 per adult per night, so it's still a small discount. You'll need to call and make the reservation and ask to upgrade to the regular DDP. You may also want to price out the other special offers out there to be sure this is the best one for you.

Please let us know if you try to do it and what happens. There was a thread a week or so ago where one person was able to do it, so I'm curious about your experience.

I'll be glad to report...pretty much going to see how taxes pan out in the next month or two...

You have to book that offer by Feb 12, so don't wait too long.

And if you're in doubt, book it anyway with the deposit and then cancel later (before final payment) and get the deposit back if you decide not to do it.

Well, the price for the DxDDP did go down. It was $115.08 in 2016 and is now only $103.57. I'd say that covers your dessert if you choose to use this plan for a QS meal.

That's only because they raised the price mid-year. Anyone who had a trip in the beginning of 2016 or who stayed DVC in 2016 (since they don't raise the cost mid-year) will only see the price increase. We paid around $1450/week for 1A/3C on the plan last year and will pay $1515 this year.

That's only because they raised the price mid-year. Anyone who had a trip in the beginning of 2016 or who stayed DVC in 2016 (since they don't raise the cost mid-year) will only see the price increase. We paid around $1450/week for 1A/3C on the plan last year and will pay $1515 this year.

The DVC price was $111.73 before the mid-year increase. DxDP really is less than in 2016, and by a pretty decent margin.

The DVC price was $111.73 before the mid-year increase. DxDP really is less than in 2016, and by a pretty decent margin.

You're correct, the adult price went down. Its the child's price that saw the increase ($5/day). If you've got 2 adults with 1 to 2 kids, you'll see a savings. If you've got 3, its almost a wash. Four or more and you're paying more. If you're the only adult then you'll see an increase with 2+ kids.

Last edited:
oh huh I didn't even notice the kid's increase. Considering the DxDDP for early 2018, I know it is too early but the lower price is encouraging I guess. 4 nights ran me about $577 in 2016, it would be $565 for 1A 1C in 2017.

Yeah, I kind of glossed over the kid's prices too. Party because my next trip is adults-only and partly because kids tend to be "good deals" on all the dining plans so I'm more interested in evaluating adult costs.

We are grazers throughout the day with a big meal at dinner so I think the new plan is actually going to work out better for us. A QS meal with a dessert or extra side was just too much food at once for us. We would have much preferred to spread it out over the course of the day.

I have question about converting QS credits to snacks. Can you do that anywhere that serves snacks? And its any 3 snacks at the same place right, so I could conceivably get 2 serving of fried rice and a drink at yak and yeti for example?

We are grazers throughout the day with a big meal at dinner so I think the new plan is actually going to work out better for us. A QS meal with a dessert or extra side was just too much food at once for us. We would have much preferred to spread it out over the course of the day.

I have question about converting QS credits to snacks. Can you do that anywhere that serves snacks? And its any 3 snacks at the same place right, so I could conceivably get 2 serving of fried rice and a drink at yak and yeti for example?

We have one confirmed report of someone actually at the parks who was only allowed 2 snacks per QS for 2017, so for your example, you'll lose either the drink or a fried rice. You should be able to do it anywhere that serves snacks, but some snack only places (no QS meal) may not be able to or know how to do it. Yes, you have to do it at one place at one time.

We have one confirmed report of someone actually at the parks who was only allowed 2 snacks per QS for 2017, so for your example, you'll lose either the drink or a fried rice. You should be able to do it anywhere that serves snacks, but some snack only places (no QS meal) may not be able to or know how to do it. Yes, you have to do it at one place at one time.
So just one report thus far of that happening?

I feel silly to ask this but I posted about this and haven't been able to find an answer anywhere else. If there are entree items listed in their own categories like pasta, pizza, etc even though there is a separate category for entrees, do those items still count as entree for the DDP?

I feel silly to ask this but I posted about this and haven't been able to find an answer anywhere else. If there are entree items listed in their own categories like pasta, pizza, etc even though there is a separate category for entrees, do those items still count as entree for the DDP?

I've never encourted a quick service item that should be a single serving entree that has been refused. So as long as you aren't getting the larger sharing pizza you will be fine.

I'm trying to figure out if a dining plan is worth it for our family. We are a family of 3, our child is 11 so she's an "adult" who honestly hates most food on adult menus. We've got reservations already for Yak & Yeti, Sanaa, Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table (breakfast), Chefs de France, and Biergarten (lunch). I just don't see how the dining plan would actually be more cost effective since my daughter often orders from the kids menu when she can get away with it and we have several things we would order that don't appear to be covered by the dining plan (bread service at Sanaa, the grey stuff cupcake at Be Our Guest, appetizers at Yak & Yeti, etc). Also, my margarita budget is not factored into this at all lol.

Can anyone tell me what I'm not seeing? I think the dining plan would actually cost us quite a bit more than paying cash but based on what I've read people prefer it and I'm afraid that maybe I'm missing an expense it would cover. (1 QS, 1 table, 2 snacks right?)

I'm trying to figure out if a dining plan is worth it for our family. We are a family of 3, our child is 11 so she's an "adult" who honestly hates most food on adult menus. We've got reservations already for Yak & Yeti, Sanaa, Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table (breakfast), Chefs de France, and Biergarten (lunch). I just don't see how the dining plan would actually be more cost effective since my daughter often orders from the kids menu when she can get away with it and we have several things we would order that don't appear to be covered by the dining plan (bread service at Sanaa, the grey stuff cupcake at Be Our Guest, appetizers at Yak & Yeti, etc). Also, my margarita budget is not factored into this at all lol.

Can anyone tell me what I'm not seeing? I think the dining plan would actually cost us quite a bit more than paying cash but based on what I've read people prefer it and I'm afraid that maybe I'm missing an expense it would cover. (1 QS, 1 table, 2 snacks right?)

No, most likely you are correct. In general, the dining plan does "cost" more than if ppl. just ate regularly and paid out of pocket. What I've done in the past is write out each place that I know we'd want (want is very different than the cheapest places etc.) to eat and write down the amount that we'd spend based on what ppl. would most likely order etc. and also write down prices of snacks we'd get etc. - I'm always overly cautious and plan that we'd eat a more expensive item or more snacks than I realistically think that we would and almost always we come out ahead by paying out of pocket as opposed to using the dining plan without even trying to save money or cutting back on what we'd want to eat etc. I think it comes down to convenience for a lot of ppl., so you have to factor that in as well. There's nothing wrong with just paying as you go or purchasing a gift card ahead of time, but some like to just have it paid for in advance and not have to worry about it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter