2017 DDP Changes

We get the regular. There's no way I could do just QS for an entire vacation, plus we have a 7 year old that needs her characters.

And again, that's why it's a benefit to you. You are losing one dessert/side but getting an extra snack. You are gaining some freedom and flexibility.

On the quick service plan we are losing two dessert/sides but only getting one extra snack as a replacement. Essentially, we are losing one of our snack credits.

It is extremely hard to make the QSDP "worth it" financially unless it is free or subsidized, and this was true even before the dessert changes.

The "value" of QSDP was in "we like to prepay and don't care if we pay more for the convenience/it's better for exchange rates."

It is extremely hard to make the QSDP "worth it" financially unless it is free or subsidized, and this was true even before the dessert changes.

The "value" of QSDP was in "we like to prepay and don't care if we pay more for the convenience/it's better for exchange rates."

The quick service dining plan definitely has less value now. It does make the ddp more appealing now though.

QSDP: $46.34

DDP: $67.33

So, on the QSDP, with 2 snacks @ $5 each, you have to make both of your QS meals worth $18. This is hard to do at all but a small number of dining establishments. If you eat all your QS at BOG and Flame Tree, you have a shot.

On DDP, you have to have your TS+QS for a day's credits equal to $57+. This is a bit easier to do, especially if you do pricey buffets. Lunch at Akershus is $57 on its own; Fantasmic at H&V is $60. It may not work out with cheaper TS, like a Trail's End Breakfast ($22, which then puts you at needing a QS worth $30+, which is actually impossible).

Does anyone know if you can still exchange QS meal credits for snacks? I know it used to be 3 but was wondering if this had a changed with the new criteria.

Does anyone know if you can still exchange QS meal credits for snacks? I know it used to be 3 but was wondering if this had a changed with the new criteria.

I'd like to know this as well and would love to here from anyone who was there last week!

I'd like to know this as well and would love to here from anyone who was there last week!

Last week probably won't be a good indicator. There were reports that until Jan 14, all QS meals still included the dessert since there was no way for the individual restaurants to know when a guest started their stay. As of the 14th, anyone with the DDP will be on the new 2017 plan and rules. So we'll have to wait a little longer to see what they're going to do with this one. My crystal ball says it's going to be hit or miss with no clear guidelines for awhile.

We have had the "free" DDP three times now and have it again this summer. I quite like the "lose dessert/gain a snack" change as most QS only offer a brownie/cheesecake/cookie option anyway. The change means that we will only use a snack credit for dessert when we actually WANT to rather than feeling we need to. The only problem for us is that we usually end up with 20+ spare snack credits between us which result in many bags of Goofy sweets etc going home with us for our daughter to hand out to friends. Who knows how many will be going back this year with double the snack credits!! Although last time we "discovered" Starbucks and used quite a lot of snack credits in there as almost everything is a snack!

Personally like the DDP a lot. I know the math about it not really being "free" but find we eat at a lot of places where we might not go to if we were OOP. Although it also tends to psych you into eating the more expensive choices on the menu as you feel you are getting better value. (Might just be me!!)

Personally like the DDP a lot. I know the math about it not really being "free" but find we eat at a lot of places where we might not go to if we were OOP. Although it also tends to psych you into eating the more expensive choices on the menu as you feel you are getting better value. (Might just be me!!)

About 11 years ago we all went back to WDW for the first time since my own children were young, and I booked the DDP for us. It was an outstanding value, both in cost and what you got. SO there I was, examining every restaurant menu, trying to book the "best value" for the plan. Oh my goodness, I was like a dictator at first, planning how to maximize the plan, manage to do every little thing in the parks, and resorts. My DD, who had been several times ignored the meals planning but had plenty to say about the unrealistic expectations I was building into the trip, and then my DH chimed in to make sure I was not placing responsibility on our little 4 YO DGD to be just fine with all I was planning. OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I scrapped all our plans, started over by looking at what menus actually appealed to us and were convenient for our plans. And tossed all the plans out but the park we wanted on any given day.

We have continued to keep that mentality on our trips now. For me, the DDP does not send me to the most expensive option, but does allow me to feel guilt free if that is the entrée that I want. I have a hard time disregarding the prices in restaurants, and the plan lets me let that silliness go. I also will book places that my cheap self would probably overlook if I had to pay all OOP.

I am one who is a little frustrated...when I first heard about the change.... I thought it was just on the quick service plan not the quick service meals..... with that being said.... we are planning to do the Deluxe Dining Plan in Dec ( Upgraded on free bounce back offer)- So, on this plan.... we had something taken away but nothing adjusted.... Not that I need 3 snacks a day however, if I were to use one of my credits on a QS meal - I lose the dessert.... I know that the deluxe plan is more than enough food ( and we probably are doing only 2 meals a day ) - however, I feel that some adjustment should have been done to the price since between the 2 of us, the cost for our stay for the additional snack would be around $80.

My DD19 sacred Teppan Edo is not showing as of yet either:sad: yes, that will be her face too as we usually go twice on our trips. Does anyone have any idea when it will be updated???

I am one who is a little frustrated...when I first heard about the change.... I thought it was just on the quick service plan not the quick service meals..... with that being said.... we are planning to do the Deluxe Dining Plan in Dec ( Upgraded on free bounce back offer)- So, on this plan.... we had something taken away but nothing adjusted.... Not that I need 3 snacks a day however, if I were to use one of my credits on a QS meal - I lose the dessert.... I know that the deluxe plan is more than enough food ( and we probably are doing only 2 meals a day ) - however, I feel that some adjustment should have been done to the price since between the 2 of us, the cost for our stay for the additional snack would be around $80.

Well, the price for the DxDDP did go down. It was $115.08 in 2016 and is now only $103.57. I'd say that covers your dessert if you choose to use this plan for a QS meal.

So I realize all the third party restaurant vendors have negotiated deals with Disney, and for all intents and purposes I could look at the 2016 brochure in making my list. But that current brochure is like my "security blanket"; my confirmation that, for instance, Boathouse, is on the DDP.

So... what is the best place to look of all the current restaurants, including the ones that negotiated deals but are not yet listed on the brochure?

So I realize all the third party restaurant vendors have negotiated deals with Disney, and for all intents and purposes I could look at the 2016 brochure in making my list. But that current brochure is like my "security blanket"; my confirmation that, for instance, Boathouse, is on the DDP.

So... what is the best place to look of all the current restaurants, including the ones that negotiated deals but are not yet listed on the brochure?
One by one on the Disney website.

This past trip (non DDP) my daughter was always asking for one of those chocolate cakes you get at the QS... we would typically get one and share among us.. i remember telling my wife, "do you know how many of those cakes we threw away when we were on the DP.". ugh.

Free dining would be great! We have not been able to use it for many years now. OUr last 2 trips were non DDP.. before that, we were on it regularly (purchased and some free). I think we FORCE ourselves to save money when NOT on the plan and we probably eat less (at least i know i do) which is better.. but boy those sit down bills really hurt.. especially the character dining when NOT on the DDP.

Well, the price for the DxDDP did go down. It was $115.08 in 2016 and is now only $103.57. I'd say that covers your dessert if you choose to use this plan for a QS meal.

Thanks for that info- that makes me feel better- just curious because we booked in Sept..... would that have included the adjustment? We just are paying the difference to upgrade so I wasnt too sure .

Just looked back and priced it all out. We are good to go. thanks again

Last edited:

The 2016 brochure.

For all practical purposes, it's safe to plan for a restaurant that has previously been on DDP to remain on DDp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter